Bring a Special Bottle part deux: NYC Holiday Gala: Dec 2nd, Wu's Wonton King- ONE SPOT OPEN !: Check out the line up

Announcements and planning of Offline events
Ian S

Re: Bring a Special Bottle part deux: NYC Holiday Gala: Dec 2nd, Wu's Wonton King- PLEASE POST WINES

#51 Post by Ian S » November 19th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Mike Reff wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 4:16 pm
Ian S wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 1:00 pm
Mike Reff wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 4:24 am
Folks,
Something came up and I am not going to be able to attend.
Guess that saves one brown bag.
Have to say Ian, for someone who is not involved with this event, the need to comment amazes me.
Is this not a public thread? Was it not posted on the World Wide Web for everyone to see? What's so bad about one cheeky comment? I'm truly sorry you have no sense of humour and that post put your knickers in a twist.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

Juliec

Re: Bring a Special Bottle part deux: NYC Holiday Gala: Dec 2nd, Wu's Wonton King- PLEASE POST WINES

#52 Post by Juliec » November 19th, 2019, 6:32 pm

[pillow-fight.gif] grouphug
Ian S wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 6:06 pm
Mike Reff wrote:
Ian S wrote:

Have to say Ian, for someone who is not involved with this event, the need to comment amazes me.
Is this not a public thread? Was it not posted on the World Wide Web for everyone to see? What's so bad about one cheeky comment? I'm truly sorry you have no sense of humour and that post put your knickers in a twist.
FWIW, I thought both were fun comments. I thought, now Mike's leaving us hanging, not knowing what was going to be in the brown bag and who would have nailed the guess. (Kind of like not knowing what's behind door number 2 in let's make a deal). It nice seeing some more ppl on board. Who knows may more ppl will want to visit nyc for these special offlines. :)
Last edited by Juliec on November 20th, 2019, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
hung

Thomas Rippe

#53 Post by Thomas Rippe » November 19th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Bringing '86 Chateau L'Angelus.

Jonathan Sirot

#54 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 19th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Thomas Rippe wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 6:37 pm
Bringing '86 Chateau L'Angelus.
Great Pick Tom, one of my favorites

Thomas Rippe

#55 Post by Thomas Rippe » November 21st, 2019, 10:50 pm

You've had the '86?

Jonathan Sirot

#56 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 22nd, 2019, 3:04 am

Thomas Rippe wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 10:50 pm
You've had the '86?
Probably should have clarified Tom, I like the producer. Have not had one quite this old though.

Mike Reff

#57 Post by Mike Reff » November 23rd, 2019, 4:03 pm

Ian S wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 6:06 pm
Mike Reff wrote:
Ian S wrote:

Cheeky comment? Maybe it would be better if you actually knew how to spell humor instead of humour. Unless you are across the pond, and your sense of humor differs that much from mine. One usually does not post when one is not involved with the thread...Maybe it is a new generation of people and I continue to [soap.gif]

Ian S

#58 Post by Ian S » November 24th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Funny you say that now Mike, since you're not actually involved in this offline anymore since removing yourself from the event. It must be difficult for you to get through day to day life if you're utterly gutted over silly things like my post.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

Mike Reff

#59 Post by Mike Reff » November 26th, 2019, 4:37 am

Ian S wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 7:54 pm
Funny you say that now Mike, since you're not actually involved in this offline anymore since removing yourself from the event. It must be difficult for you to get through day to day life if you're utterly gutted over silly things like my post.
What I find difficult is dealing with newbs like you, who based on your prior posts just feel the need to pile on.

I was involved with the offline, suggested what I was going to do, but yet you felt the need to comment or as you have said, 'No dog in the hunt' So I guess someone with your limited intelligence will just continue to pile on. So feel free, enjoy!

Jon S, sorry to divert the thread a bit..

Ian S

#60 Post by Ian S » November 26th, 2019, 6:57 am

I'm not the only one "piling on" Mike. You won't let it go either, and it was your indignant response to my comment that started this, and now you're insulting post on my IQ that's continuing to escalate the matter. Lighten up mate before you keel over. Or don't. We can keep trading barbs like a couple of twits as long as you want to continue.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#61 Post by c fu » November 26th, 2019, 7:24 am

Let’s keep it to the offline discussion. Take it to PM if you wanna keep arguing
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Victor Hong

#62 Post by Victor Hong » November 26th, 2019, 7:56 am

I was hoping for a wrestling match on the Lazy-Susan platter, in the middle of the table. [pillow-fight.gif] Even the roaches and rats would come out of hiding, to watch. [popcorn.gif]

Be careful if one contestant starts slinging boiled noodles or soup dumplings. The latter are especially painful when they land and burst. [smileyvault-ban.gif]
WineHunter.

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by TGigante » November 27th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Have to withdraw from this event. Was looking forward to the good company and excellent lineup

See you all at the next one. Enjoy

Tony
Cheers,
Tony

Jonathan Sirot

#64 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 28th, 2019, 2:21 am

TGigante wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 12:32 pm
Have to withdraw from this event. Was looking forward to the good company and excellent lineup

See you all at the next one. Enjoy

Tony
So sorry to hear you have to bow out Tony. You were part of the core gang of 7 ! Look forward to seeing you at future events this will be an ongoing group. Have a great holiday season.

Juliec

#65 Post by Juliec » November 29th, 2019, 2:12 pm

Sorry to hear you can’t make it Tony. Next time.

I’m going to try to put together some notes to help me in my tasting notes. (Tom, in case you are interested there are three videos out there on YouTube about Sori Tilden. )

If anyone as good sources for information about their wines, send it my way. Otherwise, just hitting the regular sources like Burghound and other sites. (FYI, if anyone wants a Black Friday offer for bh, let me know and I can get you a gift subscription. It’s just a slight discount on their normal rate)

Does anyone know if it is okay to bring wine opened? Gaia recommended opening the bottle an hour or two before serving rather than decanting. Otherwise, I’ll just open at the restaurant first thing.

P.S., sorry about the link, didn’t expect it to show up so large on the page.
hung

Jonathan Sirot

#66 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 30th, 2019, 11:55 am

This is getting a bit more complicated. Luckily not my first rodeo. Siddhant our next up on the waitlist can no longer make it. I have sent a message to Counselor Jay Hack and hopefully he will join the festivities.

Thomas Rippe

#67 Post by Thomas Rippe » November 30th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Hey Julie, thanks for video. Don't worry about bringing open bottles.

FYI:  two reviews of Wu's.  NYTimes from 2017.  And a blog I came upon.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/21/dini ... t-nyc.html

http://docsconz.com/2018/01/double-harm ... ng-in-nyc/

From these articles and others it seems that a couple of 'must order' items are barbecue, dumplings and fried rice.

I called the restaurant and inquired about the size of suckling pig.  I was told that one would serve 10 - 15 people as an entree.  She said that if we want to order a variety of things then the pig would be too much food.  Perhaps Peking duck?  I think the pig has to be ordered ahead of time but I didn't ask.  We could scout it out on Monday night for possible next visit?  

Don't forget to bring stems.  Looking forward to Monday. 

Tom

CliftonD

#68 Post by CliftonD » November 30th, 2019, 10:09 pm

The suckling pig needs to be ordered in advance. It will be plenty of food for your group size and you can all pack some to go. And yes, you can alternatively get the Peking Duck... or King Crab even.
D - o - n - g

Jonathan Sirot

Re: Bring a Special Bottle part deux: NYC Holiday Gala: Dec 2nd, Wu's Wonton King- ONE SPOT OPEN !: Check out the line u

#69 Post by Jonathan Sirot » December 1st, 2019, 1:00 pm

While down in SC I met some New Yorkers who are regulars and they raved about the Crab prepared 4 ways. I would think that and the Peking Duck might be good for main courses but am flexible.

Michael Mahle
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Bring a Special Bottle part deux: NYC Holiday Gala: Dec 2nd, Wu's Wonton King- ONE SPOT OPEN !: Check out the line u

#70 Post by Michael Mahle » December 1st, 2019, 1:40 pm

As much as this crushes me, and I hope you will forgive me, but I must withdraw from the event tomorrow night.

My sincere apologies.

Michael
Michael Mahle
Private Client Services
Zachys
mmahle@zachys.com
914-874-8027

Need Wine? Need to Sell Wine? I've got you covered.

Jonathan Sirot

#71 Post by Jonathan Sirot » December 1st, 2019, 2:02 pm

Michael Mahle wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 1:40 pm
As much as this crushes me, and I hope you will forgive me, but I must withdraw from the event tomorrow night.

My sincere apologies.

Michael
Michael sorry to see you drop out, was looking forward to meeting you. I am sure you did not cancel unless you had to as I know you were very much looking forward to it. I would imagine that work may have been the culprit for you as this time of year your job owns you when you are in retail. Hope you have a great holiday and hope to see you at one of the equally grand future events.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Dan Hammer » December 1st, 2019, 4:36 pm

Duplicate.

dh
Last edited by Dan Hammer on December 1st, 2019, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This space for rent.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Dan Hammer » December 1st, 2019, 4:38 pm

Dan Hammer wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 4:36 pm
CliftonD wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 10:09 pm
The suckling pig needs to be ordered in advance. It will be plenty of food for your group size and you can all pack some to go. And yes, you can alternatively get the Peking Duck... or King Crab even.
We were there March 21, 2018. This may be the link to the pix. It wasn't. Photo @dhammer53 on Instagram.

Wouldn't have been my first choice, as I was looking forward to having duck. I didn't leave disappointed. [wink.gif]

dh
This space for rent.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Jay Miller » December 2nd, 2019, 6:56 am

CliftonD wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 10:09 pm
The King Crab prepared multiple ways is very good but will raise your per person cost significantly.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by J a y H a c k » December 2nd, 2019, 11:01 am

I sent response - my wife has had three oral surgeries in the past three weeks so I am on nurse duty because she can't eat real food. I can't come.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Ian S

#76 Post by Ian S » December 2nd, 2019, 11:49 am

Ezekiel should be placed in the #1 spot.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Victor Hong

#77 Post by Victor Hong » December 2nd, 2019, 12:43 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 11:01 am
I sent response - my wife has had three oral surgeries in the past three weeks so I am on nurse duty because she can't eat real food. I can't come.
Perfect weather and perfect reason to boil up a big pot of juk (congee). Best wishes for her recuperation.
WineHunter.

Chris L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Chris L » December 3rd, 2019, 3:18 am

It was a fun evening... Thanks for organizing, Jonathan.
...andon

Juliec

#79 Post by Juliec » December 3rd, 2019, 11:49 am

Jonathan, thanks so much for organizing. Hey gang it was fun. Good company, good wines and food. I know my wotn were a bit different than others. Wonderful to taste over time and see the evolution of the delicious wines.
hung

Dinesh Goyal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Dinesh Goyal » December 3rd, 2019, 1:52 pm

Keen to get an update and what was wotn for the group.

Jonathan Sirot

#81 Post by Jonathan Sirot » December 4th, 2019, 4:01 pm

For me it was the Fourier and the Voerzio Barolo in a 2 way tie. However the Champagne which last minute I changed to to an 09 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee was pretty damn good. albeit slightly young for my taste. Most of the group had similar picks. The Angelus also was quite good.

Thomas Rippe

#82 Post by Thomas Rippe » December 7th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Hi All,

Sorry for late reply. For me it was another very good night for the wines. I want to send regards, best wishes to Dinesh's daughter and Jay's wife. Also our friends in South Jersey. We'll see you all next time!

For me the wines did not open for an hour. I felt the tasting and each wine was not showing. After an hour or so my wine of the night was the Fourrier Burg. Followed by the Voerzio Barolo and the Champer. The Barolo was the only wine that showed well after 30 min. So I was concerned.... I was looking forward most of all to the Pegau Blanc and it disappointed. It showed very slightly better after 90 min. Is it in a phase or just not that good? (despite excellent ratings) The Gaja never really opened. Wow!

For me it was a tremendous lineup that took patience... My food experience was not acceptable so I hope we can find another restaurant.

Thank you all for your generosity. It is a thrill to taste wines at this level. Looking forward to next time.

Tom

Return to “Offline Planner”