Bring a Special Bottle part deux: NYC Holiday Gala: Dec 2nd, Wu's Wonton King- ONE SPOT OPEN !: Check out the line up

Hi folks
I think I can confidently say our PDH.dinner last month was a resounding success. I will only take a small amount of credit as it was the convivial crowd with delicious food and some incredible wines that made it happen
After much positive response.from the gang and requests for future gigs let’s see if we can squeeze one in before year end.
If people dont object would like to keep theme pretty similar. For anyone who didnt attend last one please look at list of wines at PDH last offline.if folks want to go a bit less high end that’s ok give the word. I personally would prefer to stay at a similar caliber as last time. It’s important everybody is comfortable though.

Am happy to do PDH again or if others dont mind trying another good Chinese place Wus Wonton King is in Chinatown grearnfood free corkage. Am certainly not enthused w $40 corkage and expensive meals. Just too much esp when I factor in my travel.

Monday Dec 2nd is the date and Wu’s Wonton King is the locale. 6:30 start time

Attendees;

1. Jonathan- 2000 Roberto Voerzio Rocche dell Annunziata Torriglione Barolo + 2006 Taittinger Cdc
  2. Julie- 1998 Gaja Sori Tilden
  3. Dinesh- 2000 Leoville Las Cases
  4. Chris- 2014- Pegau CDP Blanc Cuvee A Tempo
  5. Tom- 1986 Chateau L’Angelus
  6. Mike C -2005 Fourrier Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cru Les Goulots
  7. Dennis- 1995 Ponsot Chapelle Chambertin Grand Cru
  8. Windy- 1971 PJ Valkenberg Beerenauslese

Waitlist:

1.Siddhant- cant make it
2. Jay- Not a clue if he wants to attend doesn’t answer my message from yesterday afternoon ? JH call home !

I may be able to make it… Mondays are usually best, but my pre-holiday calendar is filling up quickly!

I liked PDH but am happy to try Wu’s to avoid the corkage fee.

I will watch this thread and try to keep those dates free.

Watching this thread [cheers.gif]

I’m in. Thanks Jonathan for organizing.

I will be in the City from December 10th to the 15th. The 10th and 13th are spoken for on the wine dinner front, but just in case this event ends up happening on Wednesday the 11th or Thursday the 12th, I would be interested.

While in town, I am retrieving a nice selection of old Figeac and champagne from a London broker- so could pull a couple of bottles out of that to bring.

Chris
I did recall Mondays are good for you and possibly others, but if possible would like to be able to include Tom whom I have wined and dined with previously

Can Weds Nov 11th work for you and other participants ?

Wed 12/11 does not work for me for dinner (although I might be able to make it for a quick drink early on…)

Don’t worry about me – if you choose the 11th, I will join you some other time.

Jonathan

Looking forward to it.

Dec 11th wouldn’t work but 18th, 2nd or 9th are all ok.

I am fine with whatever restaurant you end up picking. Probably a very small preference for food that would support a wide variety of wines.

Dec 2 or 9 are good for me
Nov 18 or Dec 11 are not

Will watch as well…

Thank you for your kind words Jonathan. Looks like my availability conflicts with what most are able to do- and I completely understand. Please don’t shift it around just on my account- and if it organically works out where I can come, great. But if not- I will be back in the spring for a couple of visits and hope to see you all then.

It looks like Dec 2nd so far appears to be a date that could work out for most of us. My usual modus operandi is to choose a date that works for the largest amount of participants.

Lets try one last possible date ; Maybe Wednesday the 12, works out for the group ? if we do find half or more of us, It would be great to include Tom travelling from Dallas. Of not that’s ok I will try to include him in the next event.

So can Wednesday the 12 work for folks ? If not good for most will stick with the original tentative date of Dec 2nd.

To Clifton and and Mike: If you are available I would urge you to commit fairly soon. The event was posted 2 days ago and it likely half full already. Almost all were attendees from PDH last time and were excited enough they asked me when I was doing the next one.

The only requirement to attend is the dinner cost ,and a special bottle if your collections don’t have many high end bts would be happy to
trade to acquire one.

One of the few differences in this dinner vs many NY offlines is that I have become VERY adverse to $40 corkage fees and expensive food. Although we will rotate through various restaurants my goal is to have dinner tax and gratuity come in at under $100. At PDH with very good food plenty of it and tax and a generous tip was $70 per person. tough to beat that in NYC.

So we have about half of the last gang already responding, but certainly welcome all new members to the party !

I am from out of state but could likely do the 12th.

Plus ones or no?

Thurs Dec 12 does not work for me, but Monday 12/2 is good…

Check the date…Dec. 12 is a Thursday.

Good catch. We determined that Wed 12/11 wasn’t good earlier. I edited my post above – Thurs 12/12 is not good for me either.

Its is great to see a strong response from both attendees at our last event as well as a few new folks. In a perfect world would love to find a date that works for all who have responded. Since peoples schedules will start filling up soon time is of the essence. As 4 of the past group, as well as myself are available, Monday December 2nd will be the date of this next event.

I did like Wu’s Wonton King when I last attended a dinner there, so if others are amenable would like to have it be the locale. Excellent food good service and zero corkage ! Does anyone object and if so am happy to take any suggestions. As the wines were so great last time lets keep the same theme. For those who attended last event and don’t know how to interpret “special bottle” pretty much entails bring any kind of wine from any country which you are proud to share. The general range for anyone new to this event is generally btls in the $200-$300 range {or higher if you insist !}

The group of 8 that we had last time seemed perfect as everybody was able to get decent pours with enough left to revisit the wines as the evening progressed. Will be happy to expand the group size to 10 people maximum if enough interest.

For the few folks that are following the thread with interest and thinking of attending, I would urge you to join us and not hesitate as we already have 5 spots filled for the event and it was only posted 3 days ago. Yes the wine contribution is not small, but the opportunity to try so many other world class wines is rare and the dinner cost will be VERY modest for the city.

Last time the line up was mostly old world wines with a few exceptions like the 04 HSS I brought. Would like to have as many old world wines as possible although nobody will be refused if they bring a classic Napa Cab . I will profess a weakness for To Kalon wines as I have never had one I didn’t like.

If anyone has any further questions feel free to ask on this thread or PM me.

For those who are just seeing this and wish to see the caliber of wines we enjoyed last time please check out the PDH thread to check out the line up. It was well worth the 2 hour train for me to attend, so for those close by should be an easy choice as long as you own a few gems in the cellar.

So now that a date has been chosen, who else would like to jump into the deep end of the pool to enjoy another very special evening ?

Thanks Jonathan. I can do Monday, 2nd December. Wednesday 11th December is the only day that definitely doesn’t work.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks Jonathan, I’m in for all of it. Dec 2 at Wu’s Wonton King and the theme.

Jonathan, shall we start gathering the list of wines?