NY City 9/14 or 9/15?

Announcements and planning of Offline events
Loren Sonkin

NY City 9/14 or 9/15?

#1 Post by Loren Sonkin » July 31st, 2019, 6:50 am

Looks like I will be in for the Jets vs. Browns Monday night game. Likely to come a night or two early. Anyone interested in getting together either of those nights for some wine?
With regards,

Loren Sonkin
Columnist at www.Intowine.com

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: NY City 9/14 or 9/15?

#2 Post by T. Melloni » July 31st, 2019, 7:42 am

Loren - You should connect with Jay Hack for his tailgate festivities. They look and sound epic.
Tho m@s (sometimes); You can call me T.

Jonathan Sirot

#3 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 31st, 2019, 7:53 am

Agreed that' Jay's tailgate parties supposedly set the standard. Heck the WSJ wrote him up. I am in Ct but would be be happy to take train in Count me in if you do a dinner. If you want fancy there are plenty of choices but a place we have done lately is Wu's Wonton King in Chinatown. Not fancy but delicious and no corkage. Great Peking Duck and Whole Suckling Pig if group is big enough is an option. But am happy whatever locale is chosen.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by J a y H a c k » July 31st, 2019, 8:06 am

Loren has already contacted me about tailgating. It is a night game, so the tailgate will be slightly less epic than normal, but Loren will be satisfied. My recollection is that he is one of those vegan types, so I will have to come up with variations on the normal menu. Maybe he'll agree to cheese, which will allow us to go with gourmet fire roasted grilled cheese sandwiches and if he takes fish, we can do one helluva paella on a Weber kettle.

As to the other dates, September 15 is my birthday and since my first ever off-line was on my birthday, I'll go for another one. I have to verify that vegan thing, because that will define the restaurant. there are a lot of good Indian restaurants with great vegetarian menus, but you have to be willing to eat milk products. It's kind of an odd paring with Loren's preference for California rocket fuel reds, but why not?
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

CliftonD

#5 Post by CliftonD » July 31st, 2019, 8:47 am

Jay Hack Birthday Offline B2B with Jay Hack Monday Night Primetime Tailgate - who can resist? Count me in.
D - o - n - g

Loren Sonkin

#6 Post by Loren Sonkin » August 5th, 2019, 8:05 am

Jay - Vegetarian but not vegan but I have no issues with everyone else enjoying themselves. I will find something to eat. No meat, fowl or fish, but cheese, eggs, honey, etc are fine. Thanks. As to wines, I like pretty much everything so no worries there. We can save the rocket fuel for the tailgate.
With regards,

Loren Sonkin

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by J a y H a c k » August 5th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Loren Sonkin wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 8:05 am
Jay - Vegetarian but not vegan but I have no issues with everyone else enjoying themselves. I will find something to eat. No meat, fowl or fish, but cheese, eggs, honey, etc are fine. Thanks. As to wines, I like pretty much everything so no worries there. We can save the rocket fuel for the tailgate.
I make the best saffron mushroom risotto in the world. Just ask the people who were at my house for the Berserkerfest. I will check around for appropriate restaurants. Maybe someone else has good ideas besides Indian, which is fine with me but others may not like.

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Jim Stewart » August 5th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Jay Hack, you are indefatigable ! (said with admiration and a little awe)
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

Jonathan Sirot

#9 Post by Jonathan Sirot » August 12th, 2019, 8:08 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 3:25 pm
Loren Sonkin wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 8:05 am
I make the best saffron mushroom risotto in the world. Just ask the people who were at my house for the Berserkerfest. I will check around for appropriate restaurants. Maybe someone else has good ideas besides Indian, which is fine with me but others may not like.

I did mention Wu's Wonton King (yeah hokey name) and nobody responded to it. Perhaps folks dont like good Chinese food or it's not exotic enough. There have been at least 2 offlines there recently one of which I have attended. I did check the menu and there are plenty of vegan dishes including several vegetable dishes and tofu. If others dont want Chinese or dont like it fine. Just my.02 cents and will likely make the trek no matter where is chosen

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by J a y H a c k » August 12th, 2019, 10:12 am

OK, let's move this along. I will make a "top of the line" suggestion and we can go from there. Jean George Vongerichten has a vegetarian restaurant, maybe even vegan, called ABCV. The corkage is expensive ($40 a bottle) but the food is relatively cheap because there's no dry aged porterhouse or king crab legs. My guess is that it comes out about the same as a steakhouse dinner. The menu changes regularly based upon what's fresh, but they just emailed me today's menu and they said it doesn't change all that much. I have pasted the menu below. Let's see who raises their hand for that. If we get 9 or less, we just order off the menu. If we get 10 or more, we set up a limited menu based upon the regular menu so we don't drive the kitchen crazy trying to serve us, but that's no big deal. We just select a couple from each category.

No wine on their list.

Take a look at the menu and if this works for Loren, I will go vegetarian for my birthday and have a red meat orgy at the Browns game, with side veggies for the vegetarians who come to the game. The ABCV wine list is all sorts of biodynamic stuff and nothing in my entire wine cellar, so imagine what I might own and you are OK with anything like that. The restaurant is lower midtown, something like 19th street.

vegetables
light & fresh

green chickpea hummus, thai basil, fresh pita or crudité 18
pine nut and lemon, harissa, dried apricot, fresh pita 18
avocado lettuce cups, toasted cumin, serrano and lime, pepitas 16
crunchy lettuces, spring vegetables, cashew, mustard dressing, fresh herbs 17 sun gold tomatoes, white nectarine, crisp fennel, aged sherry vinegar 19 ginger, basil
slow roasted beets, dijon, avocado puree, chili aioli, pickles, lovage 18
fresh sauerkraut, horseradish, dill, extra virgin olive oil 14
heirloom melon, cucumber, pink pepper salt, lime, flowering coriander 17

warm & hot
fire roasted rosa bianca eggplant, charred and pickled summer vegetables, tahini, olives, fresh pita 21
wok seared snow peas and romano beans, garlic, shiitake, lemon 17
market carrots, stone ground nut and seed butter, chilies, lime 17
wood grilled donko shiitake, new potato salad, basil, pickled onion 24
half or whole roasted cauliflower with turmeric-tahini and pistachios 18 | 26
saison battered maitaike and oyster mushrooms 23
black sesame, honey, za’atar, scallions sweet corn, baby potato, chanterelle, gran kinara, australian winter truffle 58
sauteed herbs and tender spinach, fermented heirloom tomato, garlic, meyer lemon 16

noodles & rice
sungold tomato fried rice, shiso, szechuan aromatics 24
pandan coconut sticky rice, lemongrass grilled fairy tale eggplant, peanut, thai basil 16
sweet corn wontons, tender squash, spicy tomato broth, chili oil, cucumber salad 26
mushroom walnut bolognese, carrot paccheri, celery, mint leaf 23
casarecce, cherry tomatoes, baby squash, pistachio, mint, basil 25

legumes
beluga lentils, chili oil and black vinegar, yams, broccoli stems, cilantro 18
fresh tofu, spicy szechuan pepper oil, peanuts, grilled and pickled cucumber 25
applewood smoked butter beans, crispy maitake, fried capers, ginger rosemary vinaigrette 19

dosa
plain dosa 10
yogurt, avocado, sprouts 19
smoky eggplant, tomato chutney, coconut yogurt, cilantro 20

Jonathan Sirot

#11 Post by Jonathan Sirot » August 12th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Although I am quite enamored with Jean Georges all the way back to the Quilted Giraffe, I am sadly very limited in my love of vegetables. If they had other non Vegan options great, but I am afraid I would have a problem not having some sort of fish beef or steak. It sounds like a great restaurant, book it if others wish but count me out unless a different venue is chosen

Loren Sonkin

#12 Post by Loren Sonkin » August 12th, 2019, 1:19 pm

I am good either way Jay and everyone else. I can always find something to eat with side dishes, etc. Let's find something that everyone will enjoy if possible. Where ever you choose is fine with me though.
With regards,

Loren Sonkin

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by J a y H a c k » August 13th, 2019, 7:46 am

There are some very good other choices with lots of vegetarian alternatives. Let's start with Greek. I have brought wine to both of these but I do not remember the corkage fees. Both are centrally located within a few blocks of Grand Central and all the subways, which makes it easy.

Kellari Taverna. https://www.kellariny.com/menus-2/

Ammos Estatorio. https://ammosnewyork.com/dinner-menu/

The eggplant and zucchini chips at Kellari are to die for. I could sit there and eat those and drink wine all night and be satisfied. Add some Melitzanasalata (eggplant salad) and Tzatziki sauce and you're ready to go.

I will check about corkage.

Loren Sonkin

#14 Post by Loren Sonkin » August 13th, 2019, 9:09 am

That sounds great. The vegetarians can always get Lamb. Thank you Jay for the leg work!
With regards,

Loren Sonkin

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » August 13th, 2019, 12:55 pm

I could eat. Let's see how this shapes up.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by J a y H a c k » August 13th, 2019, 1:47 pm

Loren Sonkin wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 9:09 am
That sounds great. The vegetarians can always get Lamb. Thank you Jay for the leg work!
Vegetarians eat lamb? Sounds good to me. I will see if I can do a private room deal at Kellari. It looks like Ammos is closed on Sunday.

Thomas Rippe

#17 Post by Thomas Rippe » August 13th, 2019, 9:33 pm

I'm interested if there is flesh to be consumed. How about PDH, Midtown? Plenty of veggie alternatives. No corkage. Thanks for your work, Jay.

Jonathan Sirot

#18 Post by Jonathan Sirot » August 13th, 2019, 10:08 pm

PDH as Tom mentioned sounds great to me.Never been. Kellari looks pretty good too. Gave them a quick call to check corkage fee. They charge $25 per btl.

Loren Sonkin

#19 Post by Loren Sonkin » August 14th, 2019, 7:56 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 1:47 pm
Loren Sonkin wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 9:09 am
Vegetarians eat lamb? Sounds good to me. I will see if I can do a private room deal at Kellari. It looks like Ammos is closed on Sunday.
With regards,

Loren Sonkin

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by J a y H a c k » August 27th, 2019, 9:10 am

Ok. Moving forward. After discussions with Loren, I am looking at Utsav, a high end Indian restaurant in midtown west. Utsav has a very broad menu https://utsavny.com/new-york-midtown-we ... -food-menu. The From the Grill portion should satisfy most carnivores other than those who will die without beef and there are lots of vegetarian selections that even I often order when I eat there. Assume starting something like 5:30 or 6 pm Sunday, subject to me making a deal with the restaurant.

My backup is Amma, a really nice but smaller Indian restaurant on the east side that has great Zagats scores. I really like the food at Amma, but it is a small space and may not work depending on how many people we have. https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... r_Menu.pdf

SO - if you are interested, please post below so that we can work out arrangements with the restaurant. I am hoping we can just order off the menu but if we have a big group, I may have to agree to narrow it down a bit.

Loren Sonkin

#21 Post by Loren Sonkin » August 27th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Thank you Jay. Looking forward to it.

I am coming along with my son (23) Ryan.
With regards,

Loren Sonkin

Thomas Rippe

#22 Post by Thomas Rippe » August 27th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Hi All, I'm still in. My two cents: I prefer Wu's Wonton King or PDH but am willing to go Utsav. I'm not a fan of Indian but can find something on the menu Jay provided. (Can I please choose my entree if we have a large group and put together a pre-fix with them?) Really looking forward and grateful to be part of an offline. -Tom

Loren Sonkin

#23 Post by Loren Sonkin » August 30th, 2019, 2:46 pm

So, Jay, anything in particular you want to drink on your birthday? CA, France, Ohio? I have found the Syrah goes well with Indian food.
With regards,

Loren Sonkin

Jonathan Sirot

#24 Post by Jonathan Sirot » August 30th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Thomas Rippe wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 3:04 pm
Hi All, I'm still in. My two cents: I prefer Wu's Wonton King or PDH but am willing to go Utsav. I'm not a fan of Indian but can find something on the menu Jay provided. (Can I please choose my entree if we have a large group and put together a pre-fix with them?) Really looking forward and grateful to be part of an offline. -Tom
Don't go changing your venue on account of me but I share Tom's sentiments precisely. Not a fan of Indian food, but at least the restaurant is a half mile from GCT and there are a few things I can eat that I like.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Dan Hammer » August 31st, 2019, 4:49 am

Jay authored another thread asking/pleading for folks to step up and create their own offline. With all due respect to those that had comments above, stop complaining; and post your own offline.
This space for rent.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » August 31st, 2019, 5:35 pm

Dan Hammer wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 4:49 am
Jay authored another thread asking/pleading for folks to step up and create their own offline. With all due respect to those that had comments above, stop complaining; and post your own offline.
As far as I can tell, that thread has nothing to do with this thread.
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » September 1st, 2019, 11:54 am

Well, if this *is* the thread, how about an update for confirmed venue, date and time?
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by J a y H a c k » September 1st, 2019, 4:11 pm

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 11:54 am
Well, if this *is* the thread, how about an update for confirmed venue, date and time?
It's going to be Indian food. It's going to be midtown Manhattan. It's going to start relatively early for an offline - 5:30 or 6 pm depending upon the restaurant. I'm still waiting to see if we can do it at Utsav, which is my first choice.

Loren Sonkin

#29 Post by Loren Sonkin » September 3rd, 2019, 6:17 am

Looking forward to it. Also, Lyle Fass will be joining us.
With regards,

Loren Sonkin

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by J a y H a c k » September 3rd, 2019, 7:48 am

Loren Sonkin wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 6:17 am
Looking forward to it. Also, Lyle Fass will be joining us.
But he drinks low ABV white wine??

Loren Sonkin

#31 Post by Loren Sonkin » September 3rd, 2019, 1:44 pm

So, assuming we are under 10 or 12 people (which it looks like) so 750's, for wines, I am thinking the following:

NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 167eme (It's Jay's Birthday)
2008 Sine Qua Non Syrah The Duel (I am coming out for Browns vs. Jets)
2009 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage (so Lyle has something he can drink)

Plus, they should all work with Indian food.
With regards,

Loren Sonkin

Jonathan Sirot

#32 Post by Jonathan Sirot » September 4th, 2019, 8:13 am

I am still in. Is there any update as to which of the two Indian restaurants has been chosen and a start time ? The event is just a week away. Also any info on corkage fee ?

Loren Sonkin

#33 Post by Loren Sonkin » September 9th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Any update on this Jay?
With regards,

Loren Sonkin

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by J a y H a c k » September 9th, 2019, 2:56 pm

IGNORE THIS POST - They want $45 corkage!! See two posts below.

I'm going to go with Amma, which is 246 East 51st Street, south side between Second and Third Avenues, but I have to talk to them about corkage. The owner wasn't there when I stopped in on Friday. The room is small but we are not going to have a huge group. There has been turnover at Utsav and the people I dealt with are no longer there and thus I have been unable to make a good deal on corkage.
Last edited by J a y H a c k on September 11th, 2019, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loren Sonkin

#35 Post by Loren Sonkin » September 9th, 2019, 4:07 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 2:56 pm
I'm going to go with Amma, which is 246 East 51st Street, south side between Second and Third Avenues, but I have to talk to them about corkage. The owner wasn't there when I stopped in on Friday. The room is small but we are not going to have a huge group. There has been turnover at Utsav and the people I dealt with are no longer there and thus I have been unable to make a good deal on corkage.
Thanks. Much appreciated.
With regards,

Loren Sonkin

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by J a y H a c k » September 11th, 2019, 7:10 am

Restaurants in NY suck. The food at Amma is great. They have a delusional view of their wine list and thus their corkage is too high. I am going to switch back to Utsav and rely on my negotiating skills because I don't want to think about it any more and they have good choices all around. We will just order off the menu so everyone will be relatively happy - the lamb chops are a winner for the meat-a-tarians and it is a big nicer room that will give us a lot of space and I have eaten their a dozen times so I know they are good.

My plan is to start at 5:30 since it is a Sunday, but if people are a bit late, we'll save you wine.

If you are coming, please post "ME" and your wine if you want, but posting wine is optional. I'm going to bring a 2006 Pol Roger Churchill because it is my birthday and some ridiculous red wine because Loren likes that stuff even though I hate it. neener I think I may bring a 2013 Schrader because I ended up with extra when the guy who said he wanted to share my allocation chickened out, but I'm not sure I can get to it in my cellar without a lot of work. If not, maybe a red SQN.

Loren Sonkin

#37 Post by Loren Sonkin » September 11th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Loren Sonkin and Ryan Sonkin (I will confirm with Lyle)

NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 167eme (It's Jay's Birthday)
2008 Sine Qua Non Syrah The Duel (I am coming out for Browns vs. Jets)
2012 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage (so Lyle has something he can drink)
With regards,

Loren Sonkin

Thomas Rippe

#38 Post by Thomas Rippe » September 11th, 2019, 7:34 pm

'ME' sorry I don't know what that means. I'm in for Sunday, thanks Jay. More later. Tom

Jonathan Sirot

#39 Post by Jonathan Sirot » September 12th, 2019, 6:56 pm

I am still in. "ME"
I will bring a 2011 Allemand Cornas Chaillot. Also bringing a 2nd wine tbd determined that will likely be a white burgundy.

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Er€z _ L. » September 14th, 2019, 4:12 pm

I'll see if I can bring something suitable for the palate of a yak
£ € n c n @ r

Thomas Rippe

#41 Post by Thomas Rippe » September 14th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Bringing 82 Sociando Mallet.

We are bringing our own stems?

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Dan Hammer » September 15th, 2019, 6:59 am

If I didn't have to bring Janice to JFK for a 9:00 pm flight, I would have loved to have joined you.
This space for rent.

Thomas Rippe

#43 Post by Thomas Rippe » September 17th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Thank to all for a great night. Great wines!

Jonathan Sirot

#44 Post by Jonathan Sirot » September 18th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Great wines, conversation and food. We did a good job covering old and new world palates. Any dinner that has Krug, Winston Churchill, and Tattinger Comtes to start, cant be all bad. Happy belated birthday Jay ! Sorry about your Jets, but at least you got to see OBJ work his magic

Loren Sonkin

#45 Post by Loren Sonkin » September 18th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Fun night. Thanks to all. Great to meet some new people and see some old friends. Thank you Jay!
With regards,

Loren Sonkin

Thomas Rippe

#46 Post by Thomas Rippe » September 18th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Any photos or notes?

My WOTN:

1. Churchill
2. Hermitage

Loren Sonkin

#47 Post by Loren Sonkin » September 23rd, 2019, 11:05 am

Thomas Rippe wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 4:55 pm
Any photos or notes?

My WOTN:

1. Churchill
2. Hermitage
I put some on Facebook. If you are on there, please friend me.
With regards,

Loren Sonkin

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Sh@n A » September 23rd, 2019, 11:07 am

How was the food at Amma?
/ @ g r @ \

Jonathan Sirot

#49 Post by Jonathan Sirot » September 23rd, 2019, 3:43 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 11:07 am
I realize it's confusing, as there were several different venues considered, before the final choice, but we did not eat at Amma as their corkage was outrageously high for an Indian restaurant. They wanted $45 per bottle. We went with Utsav that most everyone enjoyed. Very good food and excellent attentive service.

Subu Ramachandran

#50 Post by Subu Ramachandran » October 17th, 2019, 7:12 am

Jonathan Sirot wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 3:43 pm
Sh@n A wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 11:07 am
I realize it's confusing, as there were several different venues considered, before the final choice, but we did not eat at Amma as their corkage was outrageously high for an Indian restaurant. They wanted $45 per bottle. We went with Utsav that most everyone enjoyed. Very good food and excellent attentive service.
[scratch.gif] I didn't know there was a class distinction!

Return to “Offline Planner”