Los Gatos CA Sept 17: Older Rhys with Kevin

Announcements and planning of Offline events
George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

Los Gatos CA Sept 17: Older Rhys with Kevin

#1 Post by George Chadwick » July 13th, 2019, 12:46 pm

UPDATE 9/18: this is now a Winemaker Dinner, see latest post, Kevin is attending. It's therefore now $500 per person. Make that $625.

Tuesday Sept 17 6:30. At Golden Triangle restaurant, hard to see the entrance, it's right next to Rootstock on North Santa Cruz Ave. south of Hwy 9. Excellent parking at Walgreens just north of Hwy 9 or across the street from Walgreens.

Bring:
Older Rhys (I'll take roll call closer to the dinner to minimize duplicates, I'll bring several), older is better. If and only if you have no older Rhys, bring wines made by anyone, from any Santa Cruz Mt vineyard, other than Ridge.

+++++++++++++

The reason why no Ridge: There will be a future older-Ridge-only dinner.

++++++++++++++

FYI the entire evening all included should not exceed $60. Maybe less.

Attendees

In:
George C confirmed
Craig G confirmed
Ian A confirmed
Alan R confirmed
Wes B confirmed
Andy K confirmed
Laura W confirmed
ER Gene confirmed
David T confirmed
Alison T confirmed
Kevin H!!!
Sean S confirmed
Peter L confirmed

Interested then decided they can't:
Andrea V
Matt D
Larry S
Jesse C
Paul B
Chris W
Robert C
Daniel K
Doug D
Matt L
Last edited by George Chadwick on September 17th, 2019, 2:14 pm, edited 74 times in total.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Dinner at Golden Triangle in Los Gatos in Sept. or Oct. and the theme will be...

#2 Post by Craig G » July 13th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Wines that don’t suck.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Dinner at Golden Triangle in Los Gatos in Sept. or Oct. and the theme will be...

#3 Post by robert creth » July 13th, 2019, 2:48 pm

I’m in. Sounds like a good theme.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Sean_S » July 13th, 2019, 3:20 pm

You know I'm down for LG
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Alan Rath » July 13th, 2019, 4:50 pm

I'm likely in if I can make the date. Vote for Rhys but not Ridge, only because I'd be more interested in how the Pinots are doing. All SCM would be cool, emphasis on Rhys is my vote.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Wes Barton » July 13th, 2019, 8:21 pm

I'm in, unless there's some winey/winery/winesty conflict.

I vote quality SCM fruit. And, keeping in mind the food there, they should lean somewhat mature and not tannic.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by George Chadwick » July 13th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 8:21 pm

I vote quality SCM fruit. And, keeping in mind the food there, they should lean somewhat mature and not tannic.
There was a nice bottle of1970 Gemello on K&L today

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Wes Barton » July 14th, 2019, 4:15 pm

George Chadwick wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 8:56 pm
Wes Barton wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 8:21 pm

There was a nice bottle of1970 Gemello on K&L today
Saw that. Wondered if you're the G***** bidding on some of that old crap. Several of our group bid there and go after the same sort of wines. Sure would like it if they still showed our aliases.
ITB - Useless lackey

Ian Alper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Ian Alper » July 16th, 2019, 8:43 am

Now we are talking - SCM quality wines that go with food! Older Rhys or maybe even a Kathryn Kennedy! And just over the hill! I would love to attend if the date works.

Ian Alper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Ian Alper » July 16th, 2019, 9:13 am

"And just over the hill" - I meant the location not the wine. [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by George Chadwick » July 16th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Ian Alper wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 9:13 am
"And just over the hill" - I meant the location not the wine. [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
I thought you meant me [training.gif]

ERPark

#12 Post by ERPark » July 16th, 2019, 11:12 pm

Will try to attend this one......
GEN3

Larry Stein

#13 Post by Larry Stein » July 17th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Add me to this one, please.

Daniel Kim

#14 Post by Daniel Kim » July 17th, 2019, 7:55 pm

Will definitely try to come. If it's Rhys, I've got a 14 Alpine Hillside that I'd love to open.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Alan Rath » July 17th, 2019, 8:49 pm

My bottle will be corked, but Daniel is bringing a backup, 14 Alpine Hillside.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by George Chadwick » July 17th, 2019, 9:20 pm

I'm leaning toward...

(Edited: after feedback, it later became all older Rhys unless you have none, in which case something SCM other than Ridge).
Last edited by George Chadwick on September 13th, 2019, 9:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Wes Barton » July 17th, 2019, 10:04 pm

George Chadwick wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 9:20 pm
I'm nuts about Swan Terrace, Alpine, and Skyline starting in 2008 (before that, take your chances)
Too rhysky?
ITB - Useless lackey

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by George Chadwick » July 18th, 2019, 6:50 am

Wes Barton wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 10:04 pm
George Chadwick wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 9:20 pm
I'm nuts about Swan Terrace, Alpine, and Skyline starting in 2008 (before that, take your chances)
Too rhysky?
That pun is ridgediculous

AndyK

#19 Post by AndyK » July 18th, 2019, 8:33 am

Can't promise, but I'll try to attend
k0berl

J e s s e C

#20 Post by J e s s e C » July 18th, 2019, 10:32 am

Interested too. Would love to join subject to final date and time.
j c h e n g

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by M. Dildine » July 18th, 2019, 4:45 pm

If the date works for me, I’d love to come up.
Cheers,

Mike

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Dinner at Golden Triangle in Los Gatos Sept or Oct Rhys pinots mostly, plus wines from SCM grapes

#22 Post by George Chadwick » July 21st, 2019, 6:47 pm

My prejudices going into this dinner about the wines and about the perfectionist tweaking Rhys does year after year:

The early Brett in some wines-- OK Family Farm -- was just a minor side product. But the early seeming clumsiness across the board with stems was not. It was real, and it wasn't Dujac. That issue is gone in recent wines, and even the old stemminess might integrate over time. Maybe. Bearwallow, for me, was initially very much an outlier, a basic clean full balanced rich very California pinot , people raved about it but I thought, and think, that was merely because it was rich and balanced, and I can get that elsewhere, many elsewheres, and I'd prefer Lutum/Chanin or Young Hagen Riddle. It was different from and my least favorite of the other Rhys pinots. Then with the 2011 for me the blast of chalky minerality on the finish suddenly arrived and here we go. Exciting in its own right.

The crew tweaks and tweaks and tweaks and that's why I'm excited to try some old ones next to some recent ones.

Horseshoe sexy exotic complexity from the 2008 on. My comments are about Pinot but it applies to the white also.

Home: same but more soupy and indistinct. The most complete on release but not as much upside. But I have not tried one lately .

The agers. Alpine (again applies also to the white, very different from white Horseshoe). And Alpine the old Hillside, before the Reserve Hillsides. And especially Skyline. Like a great Burgundy....wait. Please. Ten years minimum. Probably true for the new Hillside Reserves but I have not opened one yet, for that reason.

Family Farm. Because they were initially priced lower, underrated. Different every year. The most interesting to learn about stem choices. Loaminess is addicting. Could have been treated from the start price wise as a top wine.

Swan Terrace. Oh. Swan Terrace. Nothing like it anywhere . Perhaps for me the most beautiful Pinot on this continent. Don't analyze it. Just put on good music and feel it.

2009 pinots. So far, not for me.

I'll learn more from this dinner than anyone else there. Might change my mind about all of the above.

Andrea V.

Re: Dinner at Golden Triangle in Los Gatos Sept or Oct Rhys pinots mostly, plus wines from SCM grapes

#23 Post by Andrea V. » July 22nd, 2019, 1:15 pm

Los Gatos is a little far for me, but this dinner seems too good to pass on... Count me in!
We could share an Uber/Lyft back to San Mateo/Burlingame if somebody goes in that direction.
Andrea V a c c a r o

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Cris Whetstone » July 23rd, 2019, 6:44 pm

If this happens in September, color me interested.

(Pssst! Bearwallow is in Anderson Valley.)
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by George Chadwick » July 23rd, 2019, 8:15 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 6:44 pm
(Pssst! Bearwallow is in Anderson Valley.)
And?

Doug Davidson

Re: Dinner at Golden Triangle in Los Gatos: Rhys pinots and wines from SCM grapes

#26 Post by Doug Davidson » July 25th, 2019, 10:48 am

I'd like to attend! Please count me in!

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Dinner at Golden Triangle in Los Gatos: Rhys pinots and wines from SCM grapes

#27 Post by Craig G » July 25th, 2019, 11:32 pm

Doug Davidson wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 10:48 am
I'd like to attend! Please count me in!
As God is my witness, I swear I read that as David Dennison. I need to stop with the Politics forum.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Alan Rath » July 26th, 2019, 9:09 am

Just tasted a bunch of Rhys wines yesterday, including a couple of "moderately older" Pinots (2012 and 2013). Conclusion: they are still very, very young, and need time to develop. I would be careful about opening too many of the Pinots right now, particularly those that had higher percentages of whole cluster inclusion.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by George Chadwick » July 26th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 9:09 am
Just tasted a bunch of Rhys wines yesterday, including a couple of "moderately older" Pinots (2012 and 2013). Conclusion: they are still very, very young, and need time to develop. I would be careful about opening too many of the Pinots right now, particularly those that had higher percentages of whole cluster inclusion.
Yes I am bringing the oldest I have and probably no Skyline for that reason. I'm going to change the dinner theme now to add Older to Rhys Pinots. I'm fine with being the only attendee who has older ones.

Daniel Kim

Re: Dinner at Golden Triangle in Los Gatos: Older Rhys pinots and (almost) any wines from SCM grapes

#30 Post by Daniel Kim » August 2nd, 2019, 10:15 am

Are we still shooting for September 17th?

Daniel Kim

#31 Post by Daniel Kim » August 2nd, 2019, 10:15 am

Andrea V. wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 1:15 pm
Los Gatos is a little far for me, but this dinner seems too good to pass on... Count me in!
We could share an Uber/Lyft back to San Mateo/Burlingame if somebody goes in that direction.
I’m coming from SSF, I can probably pick you up.

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Dinner at Golden Triangle in Los Gatos: Older Rhys pinots and (almost) any wines from SCM grapes

#32 Post by Matt Latuchie » August 2nd, 2019, 1:29 pm

Monitoring the thread...in Los Gatos for work almost every week and could swing by.
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Alan Rath » August 2nd, 2019, 2:40 pm

I'm told that women find Matt attractive. So I'm reluctant to add him, and have him make all of use look bad. OTOH, he's a good guy, and has good wine, so maybe we should consider it...

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Matt Latuchie » August 3rd, 2019, 3:57 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 2:40 pm
I'm told that women find Matt attractive. So I'm reluctant to add him, and have him make all of use look bad. OTOH, he's a good guy, and has good wine, so maybe we should consider it...
flirtysmile
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by George Chadwick » August 4th, 2019, 8:22 am

I'll announce the 17th now and see if there's pushback

Andrea V.

Re: Dinner in Los Gatos CA Sept 17: Older Rhys pinots and (almost) any wines from SCM grapes

#36 Post by Andrea V. » August 4th, 2019, 10:43 am

I’m out of the country from 7-21 September, so I may miss this one..
Andrea V a c c a r o

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Dinner in Los Gatos CA Sept 17: Older Rhys pinots and (almost) any wines from SCM grapes

#37 Post by George Chadwick » August 4th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Andrea V. wrote:
August 4th, 2019, 10:43 am
I’m out of the country from 7-21 September, so I may miss this one..
You can Skype

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Craig G » August 4th, 2019, 5:10 pm

I’m in.

Can we divert a stream to supply water for this event?

C. Gle@son

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Craig G » August 4th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Paul B is available too.

C. Gle@son

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Alan Rath » August 4th, 2019, 8:39 pm

In with 06 Alpine

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by M. Dildine » August 5th, 2019, 6:38 pm

I’ll be in Wyoming - sorry to miss this.
Cheers,

Mike

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Sean_S » August 5th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
August 4th, 2019, 8:39 pm
In with 06 Alpine
I'm in. Have an 07 Alpine that I can bring. I will see what other delites I can fish from the cellar. Going to need to start looking now. I used to laugh at those who tracked bottle locations in CT. Now I spend hours trying to find where that wine I want to drink is located. 1st world problems

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

ERPark

#43 Post by ERPark » August 6th, 2019, 9:32 am

Rhy whites acceptable? Think I have a 2009 Horseshoe Vineyard in my cellar......
GEN3

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by George Chadwick » August 6th, 2019, 5:03 pm

ERPark wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 9:32 am
Rhy whites acceptable? Think I have a 2009 Horseshoe Vineyard in my cellar......
Sounds great

People have posted that opening young (2014 2015) Rhyses right now is a waste of time
Last edited by George Chadwick on August 7th, 2019, 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Daniel Kim

#45 Post by Daniel Kim » August 6th, 2019, 11:40 pm

Someone should invite Kevin to this

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by George Chadwick » August 7th, 2019, 7:44 am

Daniel Kim wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 11:40 pm
Someone should invite Kevin to this
Done.

If he can attend, no permit litigation talk allowed even if Kevin is OK with listening to it. I don't want to monitor it.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Craig G » August 7th, 2019, 9:10 am

Too many rules, George.
Last edited by Craig G on August 7th, 2019, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C. Gle@son

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by George Chadwick » August 7th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Craig G wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 9:10 am
Too many rules, George.
Are you serious? If you're serious I have to disinvite him, you can organize your own dinner.

Edited: Craig was not serious.

Knock knock

Who's there?

Control freak. Now you say control freak who.
Last edited by George Chadwick on August 7th, 2019, 2:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by George Chadwick » August 7th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Last edited by George Chadwick on August 7th, 2019, 2:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Craig G » August 7th, 2019, 12:59 pm

George Chadwick wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Craig G wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 9:10 am
Too many rules, George.
Are you serious? If you're serious I have to disinvite him, you can organize your own dinner.
Sorry, this was just a joke. I thought you would know.

C. Gle@son

Return to “Offline Planner”