Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

Announcements and planning of Offline events
Message
Author
User avatar
Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5320
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 9:21 am
Location: Kew Gardens, NY

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#51 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » March 14th, 2019, 5:25 pm

I like the 'rules' of this offline!

George, can I tip off a friend who just moved there about this event?
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3012
Joined: July 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#52 Post by George Chadwick » March 14th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Yes

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 2636
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#53 Post by ERPark » March 14th, 2019, 8:57 pm

Stephen Chen wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 11:02 am
Bringing +1. Don't have any magnums but possibly two white "half magnums" from Friuli.
And this pairs with BBQ how exactly? [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif]
GEN3

User avatar
dteng
Posts: 4879
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 1:33 pm
Location: NoCal

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#54 Post by dteng » March 14th, 2019, 9:50 pm

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 5:25 pm
George, can I tip off a friend who just moved there about this event?
To do what???! [wow.gif] [whistle.gif] hitsfan
Dan

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3012
Joined: July 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#55 Post by George Chadwick » March 14th, 2019, 10:31 pm

dteng wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 9:50 pm
Brent C l a y t o n wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 5:25 pm
George, can I tip off a friend who just moved there about this event?
To do what???! [wow.gif] [whistle.gif] hitsfan
RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
Leonard Maran
Posts: 1099
Joined: August 26th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#56 Post by Leonard Maran » March 15th, 2019, 3:24 am

Fine with the date~

Stephen Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9
Joined: January 22nd, 2019, 9:46 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#57 Post by Stephen Chen » March 15th, 2019, 8:35 am

ERPark wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 8:57 pm
Stephen Chen wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 11:02 am
Bringing +1. Don't have any magnums but possibly two white "half magnums" from Friuli.
And this pairs with BBQ how exactly? [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif]
Oh I saw that the event was at a deli and assumed there would be some none BBQ things...

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3012
Joined: July 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#58 Post by George Chadwick » March 15th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Stephen there are non BBQ things. Gene was robbed by a bottle of Friuli at gunpoint as a child. Leave the gun and bring the Friuli* I love that stuff. It will go very well with some of their offerings. It's more of a pulled pork place than a ribs and sauce place.

*Godfather reference
Last edited by George Chadwick on March 15th, 2019, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3012
Joined: July 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#59 Post by George Chadwick » March 15th, 2019, 1:21 pm

All wines welcome .

I'm probably bringing a magnum of 1982 St. Emilion bottled by a consortium. Plus backup mags that almost always gets opened regardless.

I'm guessing we bring stems.

GregP
Posts: 219
Joined: October 15th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#60 Post by GregP » March 15th, 2019, 2:56 pm

In terms of juice, is there a preference for Pinot Noir with some age on it over well oaked aged Napa Cab? Asking for a friend...
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3012
Joined: July 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#61 Post by George Chadwick » March 15th, 2019, 3:21 pm

GregP wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 2:56 pm
In terms of juice, is there a preference for Pinot Noir with some age on it over well oaked aged Napa Cab? Asking for a friend...
Aged either is good. Cab maybe better with the food but the crowd might prefer unoaky aged Pinot to oaky aged cab. I'm rediscovering older non-French Bordeaux varieties and enjoying it.

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17028
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#62 Post by Alan Rath » March 15th, 2019, 3:52 pm

George Chadwick wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 1:15 pm
Stephen there are non BBQ things. Gene was robbed by a bottle of Friuli at gunpoint as a child. Leave the gun and bring the Friuli* I love that stuff. It will go very well with some of their offerings. It's more of a pulled pork place than a ribs and sauce place.

*Godfather reference
Don't explain your jokes, it just ruins them.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3012
Joined: July 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#63 Post by George Chadwick » March 15th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 3:52 pm
George Chadwick wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 1:15 pm
Stephen there are non BBQ things. Gene was robbed by a bottle of Friuli at gunpoint as a child. Leave the gun and bring the Friuli* I love that stuff. It will go very well with some of their offerings. It's more of a pulled pork place than a ribs and sauce place.

*Godfather reference
Don't explain your jokes, it just ruins them.
You're right I was condescending .

Condescending means to talk down to someone.

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17028
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#64 Post by Alan Rath » March 15th, 2019, 4:14 pm

George Chadwick wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Condescending means to talk down to someone.
Now you're just man-splaining.

Sorry I won't be able to make it to your nooner.

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 2636
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#65 Post by ERPark » March 15th, 2019, 4:18 pm

#JorgeGonnaJorge

I’ll see if I can dig up one of my mags of the 2006 Ladera Lone Canyon cab. That was the second to last vintage before Bill Harlan acquired the property, sprinkled some magic fairy dust on it, and bottled it from 2008 onwards under his Promontory label......
GEN3

User avatar
dteng
Posts: 4879
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 1:33 pm
Location: NoCal

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#66 Post by dteng » March 15th, 2019, 9:52 pm

George Chadwick wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Alan Rath wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 3:52 pm
George Chadwick wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 1:15 pm
Stephen there are non BBQ things. Gene was robbed by a bottle of Friuli at gunpoint as a child. Leave the gun and bring the Friuli* I love that stuff. It will go very well with some of their offerings. It's more of a pulled pork place than a ribs and sauce place.

*Godfather reference
Don't explain your jokes, it just ruins them.
You're right I was condescending .

Condescending means to talk down to someone.
George can’t help it.
He’s taller than everyone.
Dan

User avatar
P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1387
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 2:14 pm
Location: El Cerrito CA

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish

#67 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » March 16th, 2019, 8:24 pm

P@u1_M3nk3s wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 10:12 pm
Count me in as a mebbee. If coming I'll bring a 2009 Rhys FF Pinot, which when not brett infested is really nice. Seems like a good venue to roll the dice. Will bring a backup, not sure what yet.
OK, I’m going from maybe to let’s do this! Bringing along a pal. Should he bring a maggy too?
Cheers,
Paul

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3012
Joined: July 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish

#68 Post by George Chadwick » March 16th, 2019, 10:22 pm

P@u1_M3nk3s wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 8:24 pm
P@u1_M3nk3s wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 10:12 pm
Count me in as a mebbee. If coming I'll bring a 2009 Rhys FF Pinot, which when not brett infested is really nice. Seems like a good venue to roll the dice. Will bring a backup, not sure what yet.
OK, I’m going from maybe to let’s do this! Bringing along a pal. Should he bring a maggy too?
Who knows. But he should put his own $10 in the pile.

User avatar
Leonard Maran
Posts: 1099
Joined: August 26th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#69 Post by Leonard Maran » March 17th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Oh, sorry for the confusion; I will be there.

GregP
Posts: 219
Joined: October 15th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#70 Post by GregP » March 17th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Leonard Maran wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 3:27 pm
Oh, sorry for the confusion; I will be there.
Leonard, if you need me to pick you up at BART just let me know.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1601
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#71 Post by Eric Lundblad » March 17th, 2019, 6:40 pm

I'll be there, mentioned on FB but can't join in too often right?

I'll be bringing a double half mag as well :)

Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1601
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#72 Post by Eric Lundblad » March 17th, 2019, 6:41 pm

dteng wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 9:52 pm
George Chadwick wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Alan Rath wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Don't explain your jokes, it just ruins them.
You're right I was condescending .

Condescending means to talk down to someone.
George can’t help it.
He’s taller than everyone.
Hey, if that's the only requirement, I've got that nailed!
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
Leonard Maran
Posts: 1099
Joined: August 26th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#73 Post by Leonard Maran » March 20th, 2019, 3:45 am

Gregg, not totally necessary but a pick up a BART would be cool. I’m leaning towards 2000 Bordeaux, though I also have 86’ 87, 90 and 91 Dunn Howell.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3012
Joined: July 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#74 Post by George Chadwick » March 20th, 2019, 8:10 am

Leave no valuables in your car and consider Uber from a safer neighborhood.

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13552
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#75 Post by Craig G » March 20th, 2019, 8:18 am

Alan Rath wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 3:52 pm
George Chadwick wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 1:15 pm
Stephen there are non BBQ things. Gene was robbed by a bottle of Friuli at gunpoint as a child. Leave the gun and bring the Friuli* I love that stuff. It will go very well with some of their offerings. It's more of a pulled pork place than a ribs and sauce place.

*Godfather reference
Don't explain your jokes, it just ruins them.
You’re doing God’s work, Alan. Thank you.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

GregP
Posts: 219
Joined: October 15th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#76 Post by GregP » March 20th, 2019, 11:46 am

George Chadwick wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 8:10 am
Leave no valuables in your car and consider Uber from a safer neighborhood.
No valet parking? And switchblades required?

My kind of place.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

User avatar
Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 763
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#77 Post by Betty C » March 20th, 2019, 9:42 pm

If it’s ok, I’m a maybe. I have a party in Sacramento that day but I’ll join you if I get home early.
Ch00

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3012
Joined: July 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#78 Post by George Chadwick » March 21st, 2019, 7:47 am

Betty C wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 9:42 pm
If it’s ok, I’m a maybe. I have a party in Sacramento that day but I’ll join you if I get home early.
That would be great. Note this is not my usual starting time, this starts at noon.

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1557
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#79 Post by Larry Stein » March 21st, 2019, 7:50 am

Definitely not making it. Daughter will be home that weekend.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3012
Joined: July 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#80 Post by George Chadwick » March 21st, 2019, 11:18 pm

Larry Stein wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 7:50 am
Definitely not making it. Daughter will be home that weekend.
Non sequitur.

User avatar
erinmcgrath
Posts: 18
Joined: September 25th, 2016, 7:28 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#81 Post by erinmcgrath » March 24th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Betty C wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 9:42 pm
If it’s ok, I’m a maybe. I have a party in Sacramento that day but I’ll join you if I get home early.
Please come, Betty!!

Will be there George and for you, going to bring a magnum of '97 Allegrini Palazzo della Torre that was stored under my sink. It's at a consistent 52-96 degrees
ITB, Spectrum Wine

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3012
Joined: July 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#82 Post by George Chadwick » March 24th, 2019, 11:06 pm

erinmcgrath wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 10:17 pm
Betty C wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 9:42 pm
If it’s ok, I’m a maybe. I have a party in Sacramento that day but I’ll join you if I get home early.
Please come, Betty!!

Will be there George and for you, going to bring a magnum of '97 Allegrini Palazzo della Torre that was stored under my sink. It's at a consistent 52-96 degrees
That was a brutal wine.

User avatar
Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 763
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#83 Post by Betty C » March 25th, 2019, 11:59 am

George Chadwick wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 11:06 pm
erinmcgrath wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Please come, Betty!!

Will be there George and for you, going to bring a magnum of '97 Allegrini Palazzo della Torre that was stored under my sink. It's at a consistent 52-96 degrees
That was a brutal wine.
Dammit, the party in Sacramento is at 11:00 am so I am definitely not going to make it back in time. Think of me fondly as you drink good wine. I'll be in the suburban purgatory known as a buffet restaurant. [cry.gif]
Ch00

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3012
Joined: July 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Re: Magnum party Oakland BBQ joint Sat. 4/6 noonish final details

#84 Post by George Chadwick » March 25th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Erin I just called the venue that both served the Palazzo and let its customers consign at double retail. My call was received properly. I pointed out the contrast with the fact that two of the wines were terrific at great prices (I bought one of each).

Post Reply

Return to “Offline Planner”