Natty wine / unusual varietal tasting group NYC?

Does anyone know of any NYC tasting groups that focus on “natural” or unusual varietal wine?*

If not, are there any Beserkers who want to either

1. Have a meetup where we bring a bottle of unusual/natty wine and have a tasting session

or

1. Gather a group of 8 or so together and go to a good natural wine bar,
    buy a Bottle each, and share notes and stories.

My previously-visited favorites include

10 Bells
Ruffian
Haver and Meyer

but really interested in most any establishments on these lists

https://ny.eater.com/maps/natural-wine-bar-nyc

*yes, yes, I know natty wine is a Thing. I’m primarily interested in the wider range of flavors wines display when they are made this way (also: unusual varietals) , and don’t want to get into “Natural? What does it mean? Good or Bad?” discussion.

edited

Comment removed by me for being a distraction.

I can sell you a case of natty beers if you’re interested. They’re light too.

natural light

$1200 / case

[cheers.gif]

I don’t think I have “natty” wine, but am interested should “unusual” becomes the direction.

I’d be interested in a Natural Wine/Unusual Grape Varietal dinner/tasting event.

Michael, I’m down lmk what comes of it all

Would be interested in non-natural, but off-the-beaten path… Croatian, Cayman, etc… predominantly reds (as I’m allergic to whites).

Alright! We have a few people.

Let’s shoot for some dates: Thu 14, Sun 17 or Mon 18 March work for any of you?

Weekends and Thursdays are no good for me. But that Monday is doable.

Monday works.

Super interested in either, not sure what my schedule will be around that time but will be interested. I think one of the biggest obstacles for a tasting is just finding a venue.

So, we have choices for Mon 18 March.

We could Either

1. bring a bottle of something we picked up to a BYOB dinner out.
    I’m coming from queens, I assume we have people from brooklyn and manhattan. Given it;s going to be a mixed bag of wine, I’m saying no to ultra-spicy food, and no to places with steep corkage or ultra-high prices.

How about this solid turkish place in midtown?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/aba-turkish-restaurant-new-york?

As of December last year it was BYOB…and pretty reasonably priced.

OR

2)we could go to ten bells on the LES

and buy a bottle each and then sit around chatting and eating. The staff there are genuinely happy to see people with real interests in wine, they’ll likely give us tastes of things (if it’s also by the glass) and we could decide what bottles to buy.

I will go with the majority opinion…

Interested but won’t know my schedule until closer to the date.

Monday @ ABA sounds great. [cheers.gif]

Monday is cool with me as well!

I think we’re good to go!

I will leave this open till EOD Mar 11, then make reservation for 730pm Mon 18 Mar,
…for however many reply! I will double-confirm their BYOB status when making the res…

Sofar: myself, jordanl, cliftond, ramonc, michael mahle.

Anyone else?

Count me in.

Also, what are people thinking of bringing?

OK. We are on for monday night, 18 March, 730pm

ABA restaurant
325 W 57th St, New York, NY 10019
b/t 9th Ave & 8th Ave

Reservation is under my name for 6 ppl. They are BYOB, and can accommodate 1-2 more if we get some last minute-rs.

I’m the 40-something, skinny-ish, 6"2’ bespectacled white dude with a short beard, wearing a cadet cap.

I’ll bring a couple of bottles: at least one of these two, and maybe a wild card.

https://www.rawwine.com/wine/kamara-pure-nimbus-ritinitis-2/
https://www.bowlerwine.com/wine-or-spirit/pais-matorral

Please bring at least one either “natural” or “unusual varietal/expression” wine! Looking forward to meeting you all.

Phil

Will be hard for me to match-up with some of the hardest -pronouncing unusual wines that Phil declared. Made me think twice about bringing a Japanese saké just to come up with a difficult-sounding name. [cheers.gif]

Anyway, I’ll bring a red (caveat: I’m playing it such that “unusual varietal” is subjective) - 2014 Ka Mancine Rossese di Dolceacqua “Beragna”

I’ll also bring a white (either a Savoie or a Jasnieres).