SF Bay Area/Peninsula OL - January 28

Hope everyone is having a great holiday.

What do y’all think for Jan?
14, 21, or 28?
21 is MLK day though that wouldn’t affect me.

==============

Date January 28

Place

WBers
Wes
George
Larry
Alan
Andy
Dan

Those dates work for me.

I’m planning on an Old Aussie thing for the 27th in SF and you all are invited. I’m open to all suggested dates.

I can do the 28th, but not 21st. If we do it on the 14th, you guys have to buy me dinner, it’s my birthday [wow.gif]

Preference for the 28th, but the other dates are ok. Chinese New Year is Feb 5. We had talked about doing our next dinner revolving around that. Perhaps, wait until then?

The Chinese New Year dinner always sounded fun when we discussed it. Otherwise I may be able to make the 21st. Other dates don’t work for me…

14 and 28 are good, 21 is a maybe :slight_smile: happy new year!

I’d prefer the 28th if I have my event on the 27th so I can bring my leftovers for Craig the next day.

Sorry George.
Didn’t realize you had something going the 27th.
I’m ok with any dates.

Re Chinese New Years - problem I see with that is it’s usually crazy busy and hard to get tables.

Plus half the dishes I probably can’t eat.
Having said that, I’m happy to organize it.

Right now, all those dates look OK for me.

Agree that while a CNY OL sounds good in theory, actually finding a venue that isn’t crazy busy is almost impossible. If we decide to do an “off season” OL, then the best deal I’ve seen is a lunch banquet on Saturday or Sunday. Zen Peninsula in Millbrae looks like they still offer a weekend lunch banquet for not much more than what an entree at an Applebee’s costs:

http://www.zenpeninsula.com/banquet_menu.htm

If a weekday evening event is still the preference, the $358 for 10 ppl banquet menu hits the sweet spot of meats and seafood for what this crew usually likes to bring to offlines.

When we did our CNY offlines at Cooking Papa, we didn’t do them on CNY. We did it on a date near that and the restaurant had CNY menu items that could be ordered in advance (if required) or when we were seated.

I’m now OK on the 21st as well

Ok so let’s go with January 28.

Ok guys - any venue ideas?
I know George doesn’t like Paul Martin’s but I’ve been a few times…and their skirt steak is real good…and I like the space.
Plus I owe George a meal.

Good space. Room. Not loud.

Steak house chain. That should give guidance to the hit and miss menu. Steaks are fine. A bit pricey. Some stuff not great. Some stuff a bit cynical, like the salty mashed potatoes. Not great (too salty) on their own, but balanced out sharing on a forkfull with a bit of steak like you used to do when you were an 8 year old.

I’m ok with PM’s. After that one, we should try to go back to Divino or Donato. Divino’s side room was great.

Divino’s side room was indeed great. I’ll avoid the horrible French onion soup and the horrible short ribs at Paul Martin’s . They were crap. Sounds like I’ll order a steak.

Well you guys choose.
I just mentioned PM as an easy default.

I’m fine with PM.