Visiting NYC - Offline 9th/10th/11th Nov

Hello!

I am a new poster here but have been active for many years on other boards such as Tom Cannavan’s Wine Pages and Cellartracker, from where some of you may even know me.

I was inspired by a recent post on Wine Pages by a longtime Wine Berserker named Dave Dyr0ff who has managed to arrange a fantastic looking offline to coincide with his short trip to London.

Well, I find myself in the same boat as Dave (albeit from the other side of the pond) and have a few days spare at the end of a work trip I am making to NYC. I got in touch with Dave and he suggested I post here.

So, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in setting up an offline for lunch or dinner on Fri 9th, Sat 10th or Sun 11th? I have no real preference for a theme or location (although I would love to go to 11 Madison Park and notice with interest that there are a few tables available over that weekend). I am staying in Hell’s Kitchen but would be perfectly happy to travel.

It would be great to meet some of you, discover a bit more of the NY wine scene and, of course, to share some nice bottles!

Thanks,
Will

That will be a three-day weekend, because of the 100th Anniversary of Armistice Day. Getting restaurant reservations may be easier than otherwise, as many resident might be out of town. Travel safely.

It’s La Fete du Champagne weekend.

A few people may be occupied with that.

http://www.lafeteduchampagne.com/programtickets-2018/

I might be interested in something low key on Sunday.

I am probably doing La Fete du Champagne on Saturday and I am definitely doing a Jets tailgate on Sunday. We drink wine at the tailgate. Are you interested in grilled meat and wine on a Sunday morning?

Hey guys, thanks so much for that info. La Fête sounds right up my street so I will have to check that out.

And Jay, you had me at ‘grilled meat’. :slight_smile:

What is a Jets tailgate - is that something you do before going to a football game?

Ohhhh boy… :wink:
it’s basically Jets fans getting together, chanting J E T S jets jets jets, and sharing in the misery of the team’s on field performance. :wink:
There are reportedly OUTSTANDING food, and lots of wine present.

(i’ve not been to one, but I’ve met Jay at an offline and he’s a fun dude. i’d love to make it to a game some day… maybe when the Seahawks play there some day!)

Jay - Just watching some youtube footage. It looks great and I’d love to join you!
So do I need to roll up in a huge V8 to get in (everyone in the youtube footage seems to have one) or can I just come on foot? Either way, it sounds like fun! Can I go to the game too?

I like grilled meat. Have an extra ticket? Can I hitch a ride with you? I even promise to bring a nice fruity bottle of wine. flirtysmile

Just checked and there are plenty of tickets on sale. Is anyone else interested in going?!

I will assume the question is serious. We get there about 10 am. We are set up with a grill by 10:30. The wine is already open by then. We start with charcuterie and cheese and other snacks while we prepare the food. What we have depends on what me, my nephews and other family members and hangers on manage to bring. Last game we had 3 inch porterhouse steaks, grilled octopus and burgers stuffed with Mexican Cheese. I brought a mag of 2014 AJ Adam Riesling for the octopus and a 2004 Agharta for the steaks. We eat and drink until about 12:30, then we pack up and go into the game. We have real wine glasses and when guests come, we usually bring even better wine.

If you want to see the fame of our tailgates, you can read Lettie Teague’s description here:

If that gets stuck behind the pay wall, just put the title of the article into Google and you can bypass the paywall.

The previous week, we make Shrimp and Tofu with ginger and garlic in a black bean Kung Pao chili sauce with cashews. Cooked from scratch in the parking lot. We have cooked everything from Ostrich in raspberry sauce to Fettuccine Alfredo.

I think my grandson wants dibs on the ticket. He’s four years old and loves to go to the game because he gets to yell as loud as he can when the evil team has the ball. I’ll check to see if we have any more tickets.

Checked last Monday and there were still great tickets available on stubhub and ticketmaster.

It’s the Jets and Bills, no surprise there .

I managed to find the article and have to say I am mightily impressed. We don’t have anything like this in the U.K.

I knew the word tailgating rang a bell from www. amazingribs.com.

I would absolutely love to join you and would be more than happy to help out with food and drink. I’d have to bring a steak or something that requires minimal prep as my hotel room is light on kitchen facilities.

Wine wise, I took the precaution of packing my suitcase with a Cuilleron Cote Rotie Terres Sombres 2006 and a Moric Lutzmannsburg 2006. Would either of these fit whatever theme you’re proposing? If not, I can pick something else up.

I think I’ll buy tickets to the game too. Now I just need someone to explain NFL rules to me and I’m golden. It’s like rugby but with padding so the little darlings don’t smear their mascara isn’t it?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Super excited!

No need. You are a guest. I have more than enough wine for the rest of my life. As for food, same thing, but if you have a personal favorite, you are welcome to bring something. The important thing to know is that our beef does not have mad cow disease, so it tastes better than the stuff I have been forced to eat while in London, until I found MacDonalds and was able to eat something that actually approximated beef.

Jay.

I’m considering a 2011 Carlisle Syrah James Berry Vineyard. I have plenty of time to second guess myself. [whistle.gif]

Will, welcome to WineBerserkers. [cheers.gif]

Will,

You should be excited. It just happens that our hometown Jets are playing the Bills while you’re in town. The Bills have some peculiar tailgating traditions that you can witness and tell all your friends about!

Just watch to see the traditions.

Wait a minute, you guys don’t allow mad cow disease in your beef? But that’s what makes it taste so darn good. No wonder the meat is so bland over here. Disease = flavour, people!! :slight_smile:

Next thing you’ll be telling me that you don’t have cheeses made from unpasteurised milk. I mean, can you imagine living in a country which has legislation prohibiting the sale of epoisses, reblochon, camembert etc?Doesn’t bear thinking about!

If you bring that, I will bring the 2008 Carlisle Syrah James Berry Vineyard and we can see how a bit of age affects the wine.