Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

Announcements and planning of Offline events
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38236
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#1 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 28th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Why/how have we never had a bigger Berserker event at Bern's? (I've never been there, btw)

Would this be possible, and/or advisable?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1416
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 10:50 am
Location: North Shore Mass.

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#2 Post by Jud Reis » August 28th, 2018, 4:51 pm

It would definitely be possible, but not sure it would be advisable...

User avatar
Carlos Delpin
Posts: 1785
Joined: June 13th, 2012, 3:22 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#3 Post by Carlos Delpin » August 28th, 2018, 5:37 pm

That is one great idea...

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19084
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#4 Post by AlexS » August 28th, 2018, 5:42 pm

I'd be in.
s t e w @ r t

User avatar
Albert R
Posts: 501
Joined: June 18th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#5 Post by Albert R » August 28th, 2018, 5:49 pm

Count me in as well.
Cheers,

@. Re-go

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6114
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#6 Post by Mel Hill » August 28th, 2018, 6:30 pm

you could do a group of tables with different budgets for wine.

User avatar
Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5343
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 11:05 am
Location: flight Level 3 seven thousand. NYC Metro

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#7 Post by Dan Hammer » August 28th, 2018, 6:44 pm

Mel Hill wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 6:30 pm
you could do a group of tables with different budgets for wine.
... or, everyone chips in a minimum amount (to be decided), and we let the Som loose in his cellar. There's no way this offline would be a BYO event. That would defeat the purpost of a Bern's visit. I'd look forward to my 3rd visit.

dh
This space for rent.

User avatar
Mike Grammer
Posts: 5779
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 7:19 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#8 Post by Mike Grammer » August 29th, 2018, 11:31 am

I have yet to get to the Shrine as well. Tagging this post in case anything gets organized.

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38236
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#9 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 29th, 2018, 11:34 am

Dan Hammer wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 6:44 pm
Mel Hill wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 6:30 pm
you could do a group of tables with different budgets for wine.
... or, everyone chips in a minimum amount (to be decided), and we let the Som loose in his cellar. There's no way this offline would be a BYO event. That would defeat the purpost of a Bern's visit.
Exactly.

If anyone has the means or knowledge to contact the powers-that-be from Bern's, any friends (I'm sure there are some here, regulars who know the staff), feel free to reach out!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1639
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#10 Post by Robert Dentice » August 29th, 2018, 11:36 am

This would be not be possible. They are booked 100% every single night of the year. On Saturday and Sunday they do 800-1000 covers per night. The biggest group you could do would be 12 people in the André Tchelistcheff room. Not to mention there is no way the somms could handle a large group of beserkers. When I have done the André Tchelistcheff room we usually give the somms a weeks notice as to what we want to drink so they can start to prepare and this is only for 8-12 people.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1639
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#11 Post by Robert Dentice » August 29th, 2018, 11:38 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 11:34 am
Dan Hammer wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 6:44 pm
Mel Hill wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 6:30 pm
you could do a group of tables with different budgets for wine.
... or, everyone chips in a minimum amount (to be decided), and we let the Som loose in his cellar. There's no way this offline would be a BYO event. That would defeat the purpost of a Bern's visit.
Exactly.

If anyone has the means or knowledge to contact the powers-that-be from Bern's, any friends (I'm sure there are some here, regulars who know the staff), feel free to reach out!
I am both a regular and friends with the somms see post above. Happy to give you thoughts on the private room.

User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3211
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#12 Post by RyanC » August 29th, 2018, 11:38 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 11:36 am
This would be not be possible. They are booked 100% every single night of the year. On Saturday and Sunday they do 800-1000 covers per night. The biggest group you could do would be 12 people in the André Tchelistcheff room. Not to mention there is no way the somms could handle a large group of beserkers. When I have done the André Tchelistcheff room we usually give the somms a weeks notice as to what we want to drink so they can start to prepare and this is only for 8-12 people.
Yeah I think this is right. It's the busiest restaurant I've ever seen, by leaps and bounds. Remarkable, really.
C@ughey

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38236
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#13 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 29th, 2018, 11:42 am

Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4104
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#14 Post by Paul Jaouen » August 29th, 2018, 12:30 pm

What Robert said. Or you can do takeout and have them open the wine warehouse across the street. That would be the ultimate Berserker event!!! grouphug
Best,
Paul Jaouen

User avatar
R@y.Tupp@+sch
Posts: 2430
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 8:22 am

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#15 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » August 29th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Or you guys could man up and take the place private.

I'm sure 40-50 Berserkers could make up for 800 lost covers.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1639
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#16 Post by Robert Dentice » August 29th, 2018, 1:07 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 12:36 pm
Or you guys could man up and take the place private*.

I'm sure 40-50 Berserkers could make up for 800 lost covers.
Hey Ray - I actually thought of this before posting. I just don't know how they could handle the wine service. It takes a lot of time to go down in the cellar find bottles and to open them with the care required to open.

*Unless of course by taking the place private you mean to buy the place : )

User avatar
R@y.Tupp@+sch
Posts: 2430
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 8:22 am

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#17 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » August 29th, 2018, 1:18 pm

As long as you tell them the wines you want a few days in advance, I don't think that would be a problem. The problem is I'm sure they'd want at least $150k for the buyout.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1639
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#18 Post by Robert Dentice » August 29th, 2018, 1:25 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 1:18 pm
As long as you tell them the wines you want a few days in advance, I don't think that would be a problem. The problem is I'm sure they'd want at least $150k for the buyout.

I don't see it. When I have done the private room it takes one somm for ~10 people. Between the time it takes to open older bottles, sending bottles back selecting new ones etc. It would have to be a very regimented night which takes the fun out of it.

I will say if you do it I am in!

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38236
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#19 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 29th, 2018, 1:28 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 1:18 pm
As long as you tell them the wines you want a few days in advance, I don't think that would be a problem. The problem is I'm sure they'd want at least $150k for the buyout.
3k per Berserker.

Lololololol
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
R@y.Tupp@+sch
Posts: 2430
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 8:22 am

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#20 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » August 29th, 2018, 2:19 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 1:28 pm
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 1:18 pm
As long as you tell them the wines you want a few days in advance, I don't think that would be a problem. The problem is I'm sure they'd want at least $150k for the buyout.
3k per Berserker.

Lololololol
That's before the wine.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

User avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
Posts: 22541
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 11:45 am

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#21 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » August 29th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Why not do The Epicurian that shares the same ownership? Smaller venue with more than steak on the menu. I bet if somebody had the juice (wink, wink, nudge, nudge), they could get some of the Bern’s cellar gems transferred.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1360
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#22 Post by Steve Gautier » August 29th, 2018, 5:07 pm

We had a fantastic meal at the Epicurian the night before our visit to Bern’s in March.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19084
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#23 Post by AlexS » August 29th, 2018, 6:01 pm

Glassdoor shows Berns' revenue as $10-$25 million per year.

Low end: $10 million/352/50 = $570 per person before food & wine
High end: $25 million/352/50 = $1,420 per person before food & wine

My recommendation to make this happen? Ask Berns if renting the entire restaurant is a possibility on one of their "historically" slowest nights; if yes, make a reasonable offer based upon the above and negotiate everything else from there.

Of course, this would also mean finding 50 people that are cool with spending $1,000+ per person to attend...
s t e w @ r t

User avatar
John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 720
Joined: October 30th, 2011, 4:24 am
Location: Skaneateles, NY

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#24 Post by John O' » August 30th, 2018, 3:16 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 3:49 pm
Why/how have we never had a bigger Berserker event at Bern's? (I've never been there, btw)

Would this be possible, and/or advisable?
Ideas like this are why you make the big bucks!
O Sullivan

User avatar
Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3434
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#25 Post by Eric Ifune » August 31st, 2018, 4:53 pm

If it happens, I'd be in!

Larry G0ld3n
Posts: 85
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 5:58 am
Location: Tampa

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#26 Post by Larry G0ld3n » September 1st, 2018, 1:39 pm

Live in Tampa. Know “just a few” in the wine scene here. I’ll look into it.

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 6187
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#27 Post by Dennis Atick » September 2nd, 2018, 7:56 am

Bern's would be the last place I'd want to hang with a huge group of winos. Just not that kind of place and defeats what is unique about Bern's, imo. As Robert said above, narrow it down to 12 and do the AT room. Best way to do Bern's.
@decaturwinedude

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8001
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#28 Post by Scott Brunson » September 13th, 2018, 4:17 am

Dennis Atick wrote:
September 2nd, 2018, 7:56 am
Bern's would be the last place I'd want to hang with a huge group of winos. Just not that kind of place and defeats what is unique about Bern's, imo. As Robert said above, narrow it down to 12 and do the AT room. Best way to do Bern's.
agree
We love a group of 6-8 at Bern's.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

edward bowers
Posts: 17
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 6:48 am
Location: Palm BeachGardens

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#29 Post by edward bowers » October 2nd, 2018, 12:09 pm

How do we all squeeze into the dessert booths upstairs?

Am ready for action anytime.

User avatar
Kevin Stine
Posts: 235
Joined: April 18th, 2016, 4:24 am
Location: Okawville, IL

Re: Could Bern's handle a big group of Berserkers???

#30 Post by Kevin Stine » October 3rd, 2018, 11:23 am

I would be interested if after the first of the year.
Kevin Stine

Post Reply

Return to “Offline Planner”