NYC offlines

New joiner / former lurker. Would love to be added to future offline lists. I will likely try to set one up myself in October for a Burgundy offline… will be back for that in September.

Thanks!

First of all welcome to the board ! To help find like minded folks for an offline, I would reccommend mentioning what level you had in mind be it village level, Grand Cru etc. Although there have been plenty of high end dinners at EMP etc. over the years, lately it seems folks often dine at more modest places like Peking Duck House or Keens Steak House.

Just in case you want to take a small trip to Ct our group is doing a loosely themed Burgundy event Mon the16th. There will be a few nice red 2007 1er crus a 2002 H Boillot CC a bubbly and some others tba. If you wish to join send a pm. Good luck.

I would also avoid being too restrictive. You’re likely to get more attendees for a theme of Volnay than, for example, a theme of Joseph Drouhin Volnay Tallepieds. Though I’d enjoy the latter.

Oh, and I’d potentially be interested as well. though I expect September and October to be busy.

up for a burgundy offline in October.

would also be up for burg offline

I though your month would be fully booked by now champagne.gif

I’d be up for a Burg offline as well. Maybe not Drouhin Taillepieds, but Taillepieds would work [cheers.gif]

Sounds like I need to plan a Burgundy offline (or two or three).

Is it fair to say that an establishment with the following pre-reqs can work?

• Good restaurant that can prepare a set menu, so costs are fixed per person (~$50? person, ex-dessert, ex-tax and ex-tip)
  • Zero or low corkage ($0-10/bottle)
  • Can provide stemware for all pours (8 people x 8 bottles = 64 glasses)

Below is a (humble) thought for theme/structure:

• Target different regions instead of vintage (but some vintage guidelines)
  • Schedule 2 back-to-back off-lines, on ?Thursdays? versus a Friday or weekend
  • 1er & Gran Cru
  • Reds
  • 8 seats
  • Vintages: 2005-2010
  • Offline 1: Morey-Saint-Denis vs. Gevrey-Chambertin
  • Offline 2: Chambolle Musigny vs. Pommard
  • Offline 3: Vougeot and Nuits St. Georges

Open to all suggestions before posting a new thread with the specific details.

• Pick either 1er or Gran Cru?
  • Narrow down vintage?
  • Narrow down theme?

Sounds like a good candidate for the private room at North Square in Greenwich Village. The set cost is $60 + tax and tip. All-in runs in the mid - high $80’s. If you want contact info, let me know. I’ve been holding my Flyertalk offlines at NS for several years.

dh

Speaking just for myself I don’t mind bringing glassware to a dinner.

My greater concern is that 2005- 2010 vintages may be largely shut down (no recent experience to confirm, all of mine are in storage based on that assumption).

Younger and/or older might be preferable.

You want a good restaurant for $50 for dinner in NYC, no corkage, and 64 stems! Do you live in the city? [swoon.gif]

If you were to have 8 glasses per person in front of each person, it would get extremely crowded on the table. Usually our group has 2 glasses or 3 per person, and often a separate glass for champagne, which we always start with. If you are concerned with the new pour being tainted from the pervious pour it makes sense to have a water pitcher and dump bucket on the table for this.

I regularly do 8+ glasses per person. Depending on the restaurant/table, there isn’t an issue regarding space.

I was trying to comp to Peking duck. Found a place in area that I think will be pretty good, with low corkage. Targeting the mid-80s price point all in (Eg for North Star) would be quite doable I suspect. As of now waiting to hear back. And if I fail on that one… shall find another!

Sounds great Roy, not something I often see, although I have been to alot of offlines. I definitely can see the advantage, as with the 8 glasses, one could contrast and compare any of the wines, at any time. The one concern I would have is even if they were poured in order, it would still be easy to get them mixed up, at least for me. Although many people probably can keep track, perhaps either a rectangular or elongated horizontal paper placemat printed up on a computer with names, might be useful. I have seen distibutors do this at tastings where they are pouring many wines at once. YMMV

Typically the glasses have been placed with a small sticker on them with something like “64 DP” written on them so nobody can get confused including the somm when he refills the glasses. Blind wines are numbered.

I would be interested as well.

Definitely interested. Don’t have a ton of Burgundy but happy to source if I dont have one that fits theme. Alternatively assuming you start with a Champagne can easily provide one, and have some classic btls. Ken would be great to see you it’s been a long time .

Since there is so much proactive interest, can folks let me know:

1. Potential interest in 2 Burg specific offline versus 1
  2. Preference towards older or younger wines
  3. Mix of 1er/Gran Cru or stick to Gran Cru only
  4. Any other theme suggestions?
  5. Weekday or weekend

Will do my best to suggest something that works for folks

I have been conversing with Amali (near Peking Duck House), www.amalinyc.com. Still fleshing out details, but will run ~$90/person, inclusive of tax/tip for a family-style type meal in a private room (so $65/dinner + tax + tip + $5 for corkage/stems). Being a Mediterranean spot, I think the menu can flex to a suit a variety of offlines. If I cannot get it to work on a cost-competitive basis, will reach out to the other option mentioned on this board. Given its mid-July, still plenty of time to find something that works!

Definitely good to get input, and willing to go with the flow. As I am coming in on the train from Ct. and don’t want to stay over I would be available to attend 1 event almost any weekend, maybe mid week but have some commitments. It is a good idea to do 2 events, assuming you have enough interest as I am sure you can get locals to attend both. As for theme I would prefer doing at least semi-aged maybe 10 years or more as they generally show better. Whatever the comfort zone of others works for me, but my vote would be for Grand Cru.