NYC offlines

Announcements and planning of Offline events
Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#1 Post by Sh@n A » July 9th, 2018, 3:44 pm

New joiner / former lurker. Would love to be added to future offline lists. I will likely try to set one up myself in October for a Burgundy offline... will be back for that in September.

Thanks!
/ @ g r @ \

Jonathan Sirot
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#2 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 10th, 2018, 6:16 pm

First of all welcome to the board ! To help find like minded folks for an offline, I would reccommend mentioning what level you had in mind be it village level, Grand Cru etc. Although there have been plenty of high end dinners at EMP etc. over the years, lately it seems folks often dine at more modest places like Peking Duck House or Keens Steak House.

Just in case you want to take a small trip to Ct our group is doing a loosely themed Burgundy event Mon the16th. There will be a few nice red 2007 1er crus a 2002 H Boillot CC a bubbly and some others tba. If you wish to join send a pm. Good luck.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#3 Post by Jay Miller » July 12th, 2018, 12:21 pm

I would also avoid being too restrictive. You're likely to get more attendees for a theme of Volnay than, for example, a theme of Joseph Drouhin Volnay Tallepieds. Though I'd enjoy the latter.

Oh, and I'd potentially be interested as well. though I expect September and October to be busy.
Last edited by Jay Miller on July 13th, 2018, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#4 Post by scamhi » July 12th, 2018, 3:15 pm

up for a burgundy offline in October.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Hart G
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#5 Post by Hart G » July 12th, 2018, 10:43 pm

would also be up for burg offline
ĠЇḷüḷä

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#6 Post by Paul Jaouen » July 13th, 2018, 9:37 am

scamhi wrote:up for a burgundy offline in October.
I though your month would be fully booked by now champagne.gif
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#7 Post by Greg K » July 13th, 2018, 11:01 am

I'd be up for a Burg offline as well. Maybe not Drouhin Taillepieds, but Taillepieds would work [cheers.gif]
Greg Kahn

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#8 Post by Sh@n A » July 15th, 2018, 9:36 pm

Sounds like I need to plan a Burgundy offline (or two or three).

Is it fair to say that an establishment with the following pre-reqs can work?
- Good restaurant that can prepare a set menu, so costs are fixed per person (~$50? person, ex-dessert, ex-tax and ex-tip)
- Zero or low corkage ($0-10/bottle)
- Can provide stemware for all pours (8 people x 8 bottles = 64 glasses)

Below is a (humble) thought for theme/structure:
- Target different regions instead of vintage (but some vintage guidelines)
- Schedule 2 back-to-back off-lines, on ?Thursdays? versus a Friday or weekend
- 1er & Gran Cru
- Reds
- 8 seats
- Vintages: 2005-2010
- Offline 1: Morey-Saint-Denis vs. Gevrey-Chambertin
- Offline 2: Chambolle Musigny vs. Pommard
- Offline 3: Vougeot and Nuits St. Georges

Open to all suggestions before posting a new thread with the specific details.
- Pick either 1er or Gran Cru?
- Narrow down vintage?
- Narrow down theme?
/ @ g r @ \

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#9 Post by Dan Hammer » July 16th, 2018, 6:28 am

Sh@n A wrote:Sounds like I need to plan a Burgundy offline (or two or three).

Is it fair to say that an establishment with the following pre-reqs can work?
- Good restaurant that can prepare a set menu, so costs are fixed per person (~$50? person, ex-dessert, ex-tax and ex-tip)
- Zero or low corkage ($0-10/bottle)
- Can provide stemware for all pours (8 people x 8 bottles = 64 glasses)
Sounds like a good candidate for the private room at North Square in Greenwich Village. The set cost is $60 + tax and tip. All-in runs in the mid - high $80's. If you want contact info, let me know. I've been holding my Flyertalk offlines at NS for several years.

dh
This space for rent.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#10 Post by Jay Miller » July 16th, 2018, 8:33 am

Speaking just for myself I don't mind bringing glassware to a dinner.

My greater concern is that 2005- 2010 vintages may be largely shut down (no recent experience to confirm, all of mine are in storage based on that assumption).

Younger and/or older might be preferable.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#11 Post by Paul Jaouen » July 16th, 2018, 9:46 am

You want a good restaurant for $50 for dinner in NYC, no corkage, and 64 stems! Do you live in the city? [swoon.gif]
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Jonathan Sirot
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#12 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 16th, 2018, 10:31 am

If you were to have 8 glasses per person in front of each person, it would get extremely crowded on the table. Usually our group has 2 glasses or 3 per person, and often a separate glass for champagne, which we always start with. If you are concerned with the new pour being tainted from the pervious pour it makes sense to have a water pitcher and dump bucket on the table for this.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

NYC offlines

#13 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » July 16th, 2018, 10:40 am

Jonathan Sirot wrote:If you were to have 8 glasses per person in front of each person, it would get extremely crowded on the table.
I regularly do 8+ glasses per person. Depending on the restaurant/table, there isn't an issue regarding space.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#14 Post by Sh@n A » July 16th, 2018, 11:00 am

Paul Jaouen wrote:You want a good restaurant for $50 for dinner in NYC, no corkage, and 64 stems! Do you live in the city? [swoon.gif]
I was trying to comp to Peking duck. Found a place in area that I think will be pretty good, with low corkage. Targeting the mid-80s price point all in (Eg for North Star) would be quite doable I suspect. As of now waiting to hear back. And if I fail on that one... shall find another!
/ @ g r @ \

Jonathan Sirot
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#15 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 16th, 2018, 11:07 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
Jonathan Sirot wrote:If you were to have 8 glasses per person in front of each person, it would get extremely crowded on the table.
I regularly do 8+ glasses per person. Depending on the restaurant/table, there isn't an issue regarding space.
Sounds great Roy, not something I often see, although I have been to alot of offlines. I definitely can see the advantage, as with the 8 glasses, one could contrast and compare any of the wines, at any time. The one concern I would have is even if they were poured in order, it would still be easy to get them mixed up, at least for me. Although many people probably can keep track, perhaps either a rectangular or elongated horizontal paper placemat printed up on a computer with names, might be useful. I have seen distibutors do this at tastings where they are pouring many wines at once. YMMV

R@y.Tupp@+sch

NYC offlines

#16 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » July 16th, 2018, 11:14 am

Jonathan Sirot wrote:
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
Sounds great Roy, not something I often see, although I have been to alot of offlines. I definitely can see the advantage, as with the 8 glasses, one could contrast and compare any of the wines, at any time. The one concern I would have is even if they were poured in order, it would still be easy to get them mixed up, at least for me. Although many people probably can keep track, perhaps either a rectangular or elongated horizontal paper placemat printed up on a computer with names, might be useful. I have seen distibutors do this at tastings where they are pouring many wines at once. YMMV
Typically the glasses have been placed with a small sticker on them with something like "64 DP" written on them so nobody can get confused including the somm when he refills the glasses. Blind wines are numbered.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#17 Post by Ken V » July 17th, 2018, 5:50 am

I would be interested as well.
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek

Jonathan Sirot
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#18 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 17th, 2018, 6:29 am

Definitely interested. Don't have a ton of Burgundy but happy to source if I dont have one that fits theme. Alternatively assuming you start with a Champagne can easily provide one, and have some classic btls. Ken would be great to see you it's been a long time .

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#19 Post by Sh@n A » July 17th, 2018, 7:03 am

Since there is so much proactive interest, can folks let me know:
1) Potential interest in 2 Burg specific offline versus 1
2) Preference towards older or younger wines
3) Mix of 1er/Gran Cru or stick to Gran Cru only
4) Any other theme suggestions?
5) Weekday or weekend

Will do my best to suggest something that works for folks

I have been conversing with Amali (near Peking Duck House), www.amalinyc.com. Still fleshing out details, but will run ~$90/person, inclusive of tax/tip for a family-style type meal in a private room (so $65/dinner + tax + tip + $5 for corkage/stems). Being a Mediterranean spot, I think the menu can flex to a suit a variety of offlines. If I cannot get it to work on a cost-competitive basis, will reach out to the other option mentioned on this board. Given its mid-July, still plenty of time to find something that works!
/ @ g r @ \

Jonathan Sirot
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#20 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 17th, 2018, 7:35 am

Definitely good to get input, and willing to go with the flow. As I am coming in on the train from Ct. and don't want to stay over I would be available to attend 1 event almost any weekend, maybe mid week but have some commitments. It is a good idea to do 2 events, assuming you have enough interest as I am sure you can get locals to attend both. As for theme I would prefer doing at least semi-aged maybe 10 years or more as they generally show better. Whatever the comfort zone of others works for me, but my vote would be for Grand Cru.

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#21 Post by Ken V » July 17th, 2018, 7:45 am

I would be coming down from Albany, so it is an overnight for me. I would prefer during the week, since I am retired and my wife is not, so I like to keep the weekends to do stuff with her. Moreover, many of our weekends are already committed.

I have a limited selection of Burgundy, but I can probably fit any theme. (I have several friends with deep Burg cellars that would be happy to trade for Nebbiolo.)

I have a wine friend I can stay with in the city, so if he can join too, that would be great. Some of you know him well.

I think a Grand Cru theme is good, but if someone has a Premier Cru they feel can compete with Grand crus, I wouldn't turn my nose up.

Finally, I will say that I had a dinner at Amali and was quite unimpressed. It was 2.5 years ago:
http://www.finewinegeek.com/tn/2015-11- ... 985_Amali/
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#22 Post by Paul Jaouen » July 17th, 2018, 8:03 am

Weekday only for me. Same impression as Ken for Amali. I have a lot of burgs so can fit most themes.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#23 Post by scamhi » July 17th, 2018, 8:09 am

Paul Jaouen wrote:Weekday only for me. Same impression as Ken for Amali. I have a lot of burgs so can fit most themes.
Ditto.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#24 Post by Sh@n A » July 17th, 2018, 8:17 am

So folks are ok spending more then for just food? I guess there is the full range of experiences. Gran Cru folks probably more spendy for food. Rookie experiences more sensitive. 1er Cru can go either way.
/ @ g r @ \

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#25 Post by Ken V » July 17th, 2018, 8:26 am

Sh@n A wrote:So folks are ok spending more then for just food? I guess there is the full range of experiences. Gran Cru folks probably more spendy for food. Rookie experiences more sensitive. 1er Cru can go either way.
You can get good meals for that amount, just not at Amali. I'm going from memory, so you would have to check me, but I think Hearth was good and reasonable. Also Riverpark on no-corkage Tuesday is very good and reasonable. Personally, I am fine with an all-in cost of $120-$150, though I prefer the lower end.
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#26 Post by Greg K » July 17th, 2018, 9:42 am

Other than a DRC/Rousseau/Coche theme, I can also probably accommodate pretty much anything. I can do weekends, but would also prefer weekdays.

I've been to a few offlines on Monday at Racines and that's gone well.
Greg Kahn

CliftonD

NYC offlines

#27 Post by CliftonD » July 17th, 2018, 10:08 am

I'd be interested in a weekday offline as well!
D - o - n - g

Jonathan Sirot
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#28 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 19th, 2018, 2:12 am

As obviously weekdays work better for all could make a weekday work ideally a Monday but can be flexible

Hart G
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#29 Post by Hart G » July 19th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Greg K wrote:Other than a DRC/Rousseau/Coche theme, I can also probably accommodate pretty much anything. I can do weekends, but would also prefer weekdays.

Have you been back to Racines since the new chef took over? I found the food to be overpriced, precious, and frankly, bland.
ĠЇḷüḷä

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#30 Post by Jay Miller » July 20th, 2018, 4:50 am

Hart G wrote:
Greg K wrote:Other than a DRC/Rousseau/Coche theme, I can also probably accommodate pretty much anything. I can do weekends, but would also prefer weekdays.

Have you been back to Racines since the new chef took over? I found the food to be overpriced, precious, and frankly, bland.
Whereas I loved most of my one meal there with the new chef with a Côte de boeuf special being the standout.

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#31 Post by Sh@n A » July 20th, 2018, 6:14 am

I identified a new restaurant, Sutton Inn. Will run $100 with tax and tip included. Appetizer, cheese/charcuterie, family-style potatoes/mushrooms, a choice of entree (including a lamb or duck), and dessert. Figuring out stem situation but they have some amount of stems.. not sure about table space though for 8 glasses etc.
/ @ g r @ \

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#32 Post by Greg K » July 20th, 2018, 11:15 am

Hart G wrote:

I'm with Jay - I've been multiple times since Liebrandt took over and I was very happy with the food. Although I've always liked Liebrandt's cooking.
Greg Kahn

Thomas Rippe

NYC offlines

#33 Post by Thomas Rippe » July 23rd, 2018, 5:45 pm

Would love to join you. (I can't do Thurs or Fri nights.) I would recommend a simpler theme for the wines. People will bring the good stuff.

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#34 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » July 24th, 2018, 8:29 am

Might as well jump in as a possible candidate.

I can roll with theme & restaurant choices.

My preference is also a weeknight and more specifically a Mon-Tues-Wed.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#35 Post by Sh@n A » July 24th, 2018, 10:40 am

Racines told me minimum including tips/corkage/food (presumably not including tax) is $165/person. So a big step up over the range discussed above (e.g., mid-80s for Northstar or Peking Duck and the $100-125 for those comfortable spending more).
/ @ g r @ \

Rich Salsano
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#36 Post by Rich Salsano » July 25th, 2018, 11:12 am

I might be interested in this so will stay tuned to the thread.
Richard Salsano

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

NYC offlines

#37 Post by Greg K » July 25th, 2018, 11:27 am

Sh@n A wrote:Racines told me minimum including tips/corkage/food (presumably not including tax) is $165/person. So a big step up over the range discussed above (e.g., mid-80s for Northstar or Peking Duck and the $100-125 for those comfortable spending more).
On their no-corkage Mondays? I don't think we paid that much, but I could be wrong.
Greg Kahn

Rauno E (NZ)

NYC offlines

#38 Post by Rauno E (NZ) » July 29th, 2018, 11:33 pm

If this ends up happening in October (2Nth or something), I'd be delighted to join with my wife, space permitting of course. We will be in NY for a week or so from NZ. I'm a white burg tragic so deep on those, but have a fair stack of red burgs I've had to buy as hostage wines ("if you want some Roulot this year, I really need you to buy some of this Rousseau stuff as well...") ;)
Pretty flexible on theme, maybe slight preference for GCs but of course that makes less sense for 2005-10.
Rauno Engel

Michael Mahle
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

NYC offlines

#39 Post by Michael Mahle » July 30th, 2018, 6:19 pm

I'm most likely in (weekdays only, though) if there's room. Thanks!
Wine Storage & More

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: NYC offlines

#40 Post by Sh@n A » August 19th, 2018, 7:32 am

I propose 6 different offlines for Reds from October to December, dates below. Nebbiolo, Rhone, and Burgundy. If you are interested to sign up, PM me per the below instructions, and we will go from there (will start three new threads for each wine region). Please remember I am new here, so PM me any constructive suggestions as well!

If there is a lack of demand, I will consolidate the Barolo/Barbaresco, and Burgundy ones etc. around the more popular date. But I think if we can get at least 5 for each individual date, we should give it a go. I have proposed a variety of weekdays and pain points. For anyone so inclined, this schedule will also parallel Kevin Zraly's "Advanced Classes" for Italian Wines, Rhone and Burgundy (I have never been to one, but plan to attend Bordeaux, Italy and Burgundy, classes start 10/1).

So here goes...

Organization
1) You PM me the dates you want. Once dates confirmed with Sutton Inn, I will confirm with you via PM we are a "go".
2) Feel free to sign up for all of them -- I will. But do let me know if you are iffy on any of your sign-ups, to allow for room in case there is massive demand.
3) Please PM any suggestions you have generally or for the date at hand
4) I will then post new threads for each offline theme (i) Barolo/Barbaresco, (ii) Rhone, and (iii) Burgundy
6) I will likely be +1 for some of Barolo, Barbaresco, Rhone and QPR Burgundy Night...

Roster Size:
Goal: 9 people / 9 bottles
Minimum: At least 5 people/5 bottles

Format:
3 flights of 3 wines (?)
Wines opened/decanted prior to bringing to restaurant
Wines being brought will be revealed once full roster is complete (?)
1 of the 9 bottles shall be champagne OR we figure out how to bring a 10th bottle to start

Stems:
Restaurant will provide 4 stems per person. Sutton Inn has more stems, but the table space is limited. They have the stems, just not sure of how to organize this with the food etc. Will see if restaurant has any suggestions

~$95 per person with food, tip and tax
Cheeses, charcuterie, appetizers, sides and choice of entree
Chef is open to menu suggestions
I am celiac, so there will be gluten free options

Proposed Schedule:
Thursday, 10/11 - Barolo
I'm not sure how to define the "good stuff" given the permutations, but strong bottles. Please PM me with suggestions for narrowing down criteria.
I gently propose a minimum criteria are $100+ bottles (however you define that... cost or market value)

Wednesday, 10/17 - Barbaresco
I'm not sure how to define the "good stuff" given the permutations, but strong bottles. Please PM me with suggestions for narrowing down criteria.
I gently propose a minimum criteria are $100+ bottles (however you define that... cost or market value)

Monday 11/19 - Northern Rhone Reds
I'm not sure how to define the "good stuff" given the permutations, but strong bottles. Please PM me with suggestions for narrowing down criteria
I gently propose a minimum criteria of $100+ bottles (however you define that... cost or market value)
Reboule Du Rhone industry event will be the prior weekend

Wed 11/28 - QPR Burgundy Reds
Thanksgiving is 11/22
Restaurant TBD, but probably a more casual spot than Sutton Inn (if i can find one)
Trying for Monday to find a corkage free spot
Aged village/1er
2013 vintage or older
$60-90 bottle price point

Wed 12/5 - 1er Reds: Chambolle Musigny, Vosnee-Romanee, Vougeot, Pommard
2007 vintage or prior
Premier Crus (or better if you feel so generous)

Thursday 12/13- GC Reds: Gevrey-Chambertin, Morey-St. Denis
2007 vintage or prior
Grand Crus
Last edited by Sh@n A on August 19th, 2018, 9:17 am, edited 8 times in total.
/ @ g r @ \

Chris L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Chris L » August 19th, 2018, 8:34 am

Sh@n A wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 7:32 am

Mon 11/30 - QPR Burgundies
Restaurant TBD, but probably a more casual spot than Sutton Inn (if i can find one)
Aged village/1er
2013 vintage or older
$60-90 bottle price point
I will send you a PM but please check the date for the QPR Burgundies event -- 11/30 is a Friday...
...andon

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Sh@n A » August 19th, 2018, 8:44 am

Chris L wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 8:34 am
I will send you a PM but please check the date for the QPR Burgundies event -- 11/30 is a Friday...
Thanks for heads up; had intended to write Friday. But upon thinking about it some more, may be difficult to find November, Friday night spot with reasonable corkage for "QPR" night. Changed it to Wed/new date. Would prefer Monday for ease of finding corkage free spot, but that is Thanksgiving weekend (the 22nd).
/ @ g r @ \

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Sh@n A » August 19th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Sutton Inn confirmed those dates are available, so if there is interest, we should be good to go.
/ @ g r @ \

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Sh@n A » August 21st, 2018, 8:28 pm

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Mark Y » August 21st, 2018, 10:05 pm

Wowsers. Are people running 5 miles a day to work off that caloric intake in such a short period of time!? ;)
Y.e.

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Sh@n A » August 25th, 2018, 8:34 am

Mark Y wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 10:05 pm
Wowsers. Are people running 5 miles a day to work off that caloric intake in such a short period of time!? ;)

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Sh@n A » September 9th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Sutton Inn may not be able to accommodate, after all. I am looking for alternative venues, without changing the dates.

Thus far, I have/will be, reaching out to:
Italian: Fabio Cucina, La Villeta, Amata (all midtown east), Da Raffaele
French: Bistro Vendome (midtown east), La Sirene (soho), Batard (Tribeca)
New American: Copinette (midtown east), Kingsley (modern, East Village), Racines (modern, Tribeca)
Other: Patroon (may require a move to Friday)

Will revert, and please PM any suggestions!

Right now I think Copinette is a good option (and a new one for the Board), think should be able to find a French spot on Monday for Rhone (hoping it is Batard), and working on Barolo/Barbaresco nights...

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Jay Miller » September 10th, 2018, 7:47 am

They recently raised their corkage from $15 to $20 but you might check out North Square. Their rack of lamb is a good general red wine dish.

La Sirene went downhill years ago. I wouldn't recommend it anymore though it used to be a favorite.

Victor Hong

#49 Post by Victor Hong » September 10th, 2018, 11:11 am

Jay Miller wrote:
September 10th, 2018, 7:47 am
They recently raised their corkage from $15 to $20 but you might check out North Square. Their rack of lamb is a good general red wine dish.

La Sirene went downhill years ago. I wouldn't recommend it anymore though it used to be a favorite.
That place sank like a meatball atop a souffle.
WineHunter.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Greg K » September 10th, 2018, 11:56 am

I really like Batard, but I thought they had a 2 bottle byo limit?
Greg Kahn

Return to “Offline Planner”