GCC Member

Philadelphia Friday Sep 21st - OP UPDATE 9-17

#1 Post by Brian Tuite » July 1st, 2018, 7:35 pm

Where: Will BYOB
When: Friday 9/21/18 8:00pm
Roster:
Ted and Joann - Cabernet
Jonathan - 1 Champagne 1 Bdx
Brian - 1 Cali Rt Bank, 1 Cali Left Bank, 1 Cali Cab, Cali Sparkler, mystery dessert wine
Christopher +1 - 1 Bdx 1 Sauternes
Dennis and Windy - 1 Cali Rt Bank Blend 1 Bdx 1 Riesling
Erich Sachse - Bdx
Joshua Roberts - 1 Bdx 1 Sparkler

Waitlist:
Jeff/Ann Vaughan

Theme: Blind Bdx vs Cali Cabs, brown bagged ahead of time.

Update: 9-11

5 days out so let’s sew up the loose ends.
  • Please bring cash in order to make payment easier on everyone. After tip and tax the bill will be $110 per person.
  • In order to see if we have enough wines from each side of the pond can folks chime in with whether they are bringing one or the other or both? Thanks!
  • If, for any reason, you cannot make it please let me know in advance as I am personally guaranteeing full payment for all with the restaurant. We have a waitlist to fill in.
  • Hopefully Florence does not create travel problems for anyone.
See you all next week. [berserker.gif]
Last edited by Brian Tuite on September 19th, 2018, 10:03 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Philadelphia Friday Sep 21st

#2 Post by Ted Erfer » July 2nd, 2018, 1:50 pm

Brian --- I am clear for Sept 21.
Might be able to get some others.
But it would we good to see you on the East Coast!

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Brian Tuite » July 2nd, 2018, 2:57 pm

———————— [thumbs-up.gif]
Ted Erfer wrote:Brian --- I am clear for Sept 21.
Might be able to get some others.
But it would we good to see you on the East Coast!

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2019 WOTY...

Jonathan Sirot

#4 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 2nd, 2018, 5:55 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:I’m staying at the Marriott Downtown. Anyone want to meet up for dinner and wine?
Brian,
Would love to meet and share a few glasses. Put me down as a strong tentative. I am 4 hours away in Ct but have no problem taking a road trip.

Ironically enough I was just in Philly last night for an offline with a few board members. We ate at Will byob. Highly reccommended. Food and service were exceptional.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Brian Tuite » July 2nd, 2018, 8:51 pm

Jonathan Sirot wrote:
Brian Tuite wrote:I’m staying at the Marriott Downtown. Anyone want to meet up for dinner and wine?
Brian,
Would love to meet and share a few glasses. Put me down as a strong tentative. I am 4 hours away in Ct but have no problem taking a road trip.

Ironically enough I was just in Philly last night for an offline with a few board members. We ate at Will byob. Highly reccommended. Food and service were exceptional.
I ate dinner at Will BYOB with Matt Denny last time I was in town. Loved it!

2019 WOTY...

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » July 3rd, 2018, 7:19 am

Damn. Just last week I booked a work commitment. I would've come down for this too.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Brian Tuite » July 6th, 2018, 6:42 am

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:Damn. Just last week I booked a work commitment. I would've come down for this too.
Bummer! Would have liked to finally meet.

2019 WOTY...

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Er€z _ L. » July 8th, 2018, 11:07 am

NY Based, but I can make a trip up to PHL
£ € n c n @ r

ChristopherSK

#9 Post by ChristopherSK » July 8th, 2018, 8:17 pm

I should easily be able to make it. Add 2 to the count.
Chri$toph3r S K0y$te

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Ted Erfer » July 9th, 2018, 5:02 am

Er€z _ L. wrote:NY Based, but I can make a trip up to PHL
I think you would be coming "down" to Philly [cheers.gif]

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Brian Tuite » July 9th, 2018, 6:34 am

ChristopherSK wrote:I should easily be able to make it. Add 2 to the count.
Cool! This is beginning to shape up nicely.

Theme? If any?

I’ll let you guys fight over the restaurant since I’m the foreigner. So far we have Will and Laurel suggested. Been to Will and loved it.

2019 WOTY...

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Brian Tuite » July 9th, 2018, 6:42 am

Ted Erfer wrote:
I think you would be coming "down" to Philly [cheers.gif]
Maybe he’s in Brownsville? [wink.gif]

2019 WOTY...

Jonathan Sirot

#13 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 9th, 2018, 10:35 am

Happy to go back to Will, as it was fabulous, but my vote would be for Laurel as I have never tried it. If others have another choice fine. I propose old world wines i.e. Bordeaux Burgundy Barolo Brunello as a theme, or aged Cali Cabs would be good too. Free for all is great too. If anyone has other ideas fine, my cellar is pretty diverse. I will bring 2 btls, one of whatever the theme is, and the 2nd a bubbly either French or California {Under the Wire, or Ultramarine flirtysmile } Brian as you are the organizer, it should ultimately be your choice of locale and theme
Last edited by Jonathan Sirot on July 10th, 2018, 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Er€z _ L. » July 10th, 2018, 7:02 am

As a FF, I can't take the train to PHL. Have to fly south to get back north [cheers.gif]
£ € n c n @ r

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » July 10th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Jonathan Sirot wrote:Happy to go back to Will, as it was fabulous, but my vote would be for Laurel as I have never tried it.
OpenTable for Laurel opens 2 months in advance, and for such a big group at prime time, you had better call right on the dime to get a reservation. As I remember, the restaurant only has 22 seats. They also had an outdoor table in a patio for groups, but I'm not sure if that is still true.

Hard to get into, but well worth the effort. The best gnocchi I've evah had!

I think we went for the first time on their 2nd night open back in 2013 (this was before he won Top Chef and it started getting booked up 4 months in advance!).
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Brian Tuite » July 11th, 2018, 6:19 am

Er€z _ L. wrote:As a FF, I can't take the train to PHL. Have to fly south to get back north [cheers.gif]
Former Felon? newhere

2019 WOTY...

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Brian Tuite » July 11th, 2018, 7:10 am

Jonathan Sirot wrote:Happy to go back to Will, as it was fabulous, but my vote would be for Laurel as I have never tried it. If others have another choice fine. I propose old world wines i.e. Bordeaux Burgundy Barolo Brunello as a theme, or aged Cali Cabs would be good too. Free for all is great too. If anyone has other ideas fine, my cellar is pretty diverse. I will bring 2 btls, one of whatever the theme is, and the 2nd a bubbly either French or California {Under the Wire, or Ultramarine flirtysmile } Brian as you are the organizer, it should ultimately be your choice of locale and theme
I’m the out-of-towner so I’m deferring to the locals for the most part. Laurel sounds amazing but for an offline? Just seems too structured and upscale for a Berserker wine event. Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m likely coming in Levi’s jeans, a Carhart shirt and cowboy boots and I remember Will being very casual. We’re pretty laid back in Sonoma County.

As for theme you lost me at Old World [wink.gif] but I can hang. Whatever everyone is comfortable with is fine with me. Food friendly reds? Sleepers/Under the radar? Regardless I’ll bring something interesting.

2019 WOTY...

ChristopherSK

#18 Post by ChristopherSK » July 11th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Brian, philly byob's are also extremely laid back so you could arrive in a batman costume and you would receive nothing but smiles. (Just don't wear a Dallas Cowboy shirt or accoutrement....) As Jonathan and I and others recently dined at Will, I am confident that they could find a way to accommodate a group of us, and to make it easier on them, they might create a multi-course dinner around wine choices. However, I must give a "second" to Jonathan's suggestion of Laurel as I would really enjoy dining there. Does anyone on the board have good relations with Laurel's management to see if they would be willing to host what could very well end up being 8 to 14 people on a Friday evening?
Chri$toph3r S K0y$te

Jonathan Sirot

#19 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 12th, 2018, 1:50 pm

ChristopherSK wrote:Brian, philly byob's are also extremely laid back so you could arrive in a batman costume and you would receive nothing but smiles. (Just don't wear a Dallas Cowboy shirt or accoutrement....) As Jonathan and I and others recently dined at Will, I am confident that they could find a way to accommodate a group of us, and to make it easier on them, they might create a multi-course dinner around wine choices. However, I must give a "second" to Jonathan's suggestion of Laurel as I would really enjoy dining there. Does anyone on the board have good relations with Laurel's management to see if they would be willing to host what could very well end up being 8 to 14 people on a Friday evening?
Fortunately, as I am semi retired, enjoy research, I have dug a bit deeper and we might have a locale and theme, that works quite well. This proposal is based on a few nice conversations I just had with Brian, and the restaurant. I asked Laurel about dress code, and conveyed that a few of would be in casual attire. She said that many people are business casual, but that there is no dress code and they would be thrilled to have us. They can accomodate a group up to 8 people but not larger. This would be an outside table. There is no awning so there is no cover in case of rain. If that should occur they would reschedule or cancel with no repercussions. As there is not much rain in Sept. I don't think that's a very big risk. As weather forecasts are usually pretty acurate we could simply pick an alternate place if rain look likely a few days out. Personally I think maxing out the group at 8 folks is not a bad idea anyway. With that number it's easier to keep track of what you have sampled, easier to talk with most of the people, and leaves enough wine for a decent pour and enough in the bottle to possibly revisit it. Brian also maxing at 8 isn't a bad idea. If anyone wants to go bigger we could choose another location or see if they could do a table of 4 inside to supplement our group. The meal is a 7 course meal for $!05 + tax and tip. The seating would be at 7pm and they dont need to have another seating after us. They go home at midnight so they can pace the meal to our wishes.

Next up for theme, I have communicated with Brian and Chris a bit on this to try for some consensus. If anyone else wants to chime in please do. As I kind of suspected Brian has mostly new world, and Chris leans toward old world. I thought a fun theme might be sort of a juxtaposition. Considering a few different palates, I think that a Cal Bordeaux blend vs French Bordeaux blend shootout would be a blast. When Brian and I spoke, we thought either single blind or ideally double blind would be fun and very educational. I If we did do double blind,to avoid anyone knowing most of the wines each of could simply lay their claim to either bringing a French or a Cali and only know their own pick brown bagging before arrival. If others like it might be fun to do a $50 US sparkling wine vs Champagne blind flight to start out. If anyone likes this sub theme, I think choosing this pricing is the most fair way, since most tete du cuvees would have an unfair edge. If others like the first theme only great. If folks want to both great. I am bringing 2 btls, and will bring a bubbly either way. If we do a champagne flight blind I could provide both or do 1 bubbly and 1 red probably old world.

Sorry this is long. Alot to cover. If folks like the theme and restaurant great' lets run with it, if not chime in. Chris, Myself, and Brian are all good with restaurant and Brian likes theme and serving blind. What say others ??

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Ted Erfer » July 12th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Laurel is fine for four people -- but not for a wine night for a larger group.
Set menu - outside (boo). I love Will - which is right down the street but it does get noisy because it only seats about 30. A long table screws them up. I know Chris (at Will) very well and could speak with him about a dinner.

I do have a good "in" at Laurel but it wouldn't be my first choice. Nick is a great chef and his crew is fantastic but I am not a fan of eating on the sidewalk on Passyunk Ave.

There are so many more "casual" spots from which to chose where we can sit inside and not have a set menu.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Brian Tuite » July 12th, 2018, 4:41 pm

...and that is what this thread is for, to hash out the details to achieve the proper end result. Ted has what I beleive is valuable insight on Laurel. We can continue the discussion.

2019 WOTY...

ChristopherSK

#22 Post by ChristopherSK » July 12th, 2018, 7:58 pm

Yea......we have plenty plenty of options.

There's a byob at 1620 South Street that I have dined at many times, Miles Table. http://milestable.com/ Pricing is very reasonable, the food is high quality, and the nice woman who runs the dining room would enjoy staying till at least 9:00 or perhaps 9:30 to try some of the wines. MT could easily accomodate 8 to 12.

So why Miles Table, other than great food, reasonable price, and could seat 8 to 12? Well, MT is a bock away from the legendary Philadelphia dive bar Bob and Barbara's which has live music that starts at 9:30 or so on a Friday night. http://bobandbarbaras.com/ B and B's was recognized by the Guardian as one of the top 10 bars in Philly. https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013 ... iladelphia
I have taken many an out of town guest, including Californians, to B and B's after a byob event to experience the music and the "friendly melting pot of well lubricated peoples". (Feel free to chime in Buddy) There are other byobs very close by that we could choose instead of MT such as Entree, Pumpkin and Russet. A few more blocks away there are the Rittenhouse area byobs such as Mellagrano. All of these places are less than a mile and well within stumbling distance from the Marriott.

Ok. I just talked myself into going to MT and B and B's tomorrow night!
Chri$toph3r S K0y$te

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » July 12th, 2018, 8:37 pm

Ted Erfer wrote:Nick is a great chef and his crew is fantastic but I am not a fan of eating on the sidewalk on Passyunk Ave.

What does that mean Ted? Both Will and Laurel are on Passyunk Ave, and you are definitely not eating on the sidewalk lol. Laurel is a fairly sexy space. IIRC, the small patio is behind, next to the kitchen, so not exposed to the street. Although I haven't been since they opened ITV next door, so I guess things could have changed.

Has anyone done the patio at Laurel? The one time we had reservations for it, it rained, so we went to Pickled Heron instead (RIP).

Was just at Will last Sunday. The soft shell crab is killer. flirtysmile
Attachments
1.jpg
Soft shell crab at Will BYOB (Philly, PA)
1.jpg (31.42 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
Cheers,
/<evin

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Ted Erfer » July 12th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Didn’t know about the patio.

Jonathan Sirot

#25 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 14th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Out of the above named selections Chris mentioned Entrée or Mellagrano look good to me. Another one that I found that I like the menu even slightly better, is Casta Diva. As Brian has indicated he will defer to the locals, and Chris appears to be somewhat flexible, do you have a preference between any of these 3 Ted ?

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » July 15th, 2018, 6:52 pm

A couple of my other favorite byob spots on East Passyunk Ave are Noord (Joncarl is the nicest chef in Philly) and Fond (at least I think they still do byob with corkage, but you should check).

http://www.noordphilly.com

http://www.fondphilly.com

Or I just went to Park Place, which Craig LaBan gave 3 bells to, just over the bridge in Mechanicsville NJ (short 25 min drive). That was just spectacular!

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists ... 71013.html

Also went to Serpico this last trip, although I didn't byob. As I remember, you can byob with corkage. Fantastic restaurant. Peter Serpico was David Chang's right hand and opened Momofuko Ko (for which he got a James Beard Award and 2 Michelin Stars).

https://serpicoonsouth.com
Cheers,
/<evin

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » July 16th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Can't believe no one has mentioned Bibou either. The ultimate Philly BYOB. Although you'd have to call the restaurant yesterday to get a reservation this big.

According to Robert Parker, "It might be the best French bistro in the entire country...[The] snail ragout, boudin noir, terrine en crout, out-of-this-world beef marrow bones as well as superb stuffed pig's feet with foie gras over a bed of black lentils had me in Rabelaisien Nirvana."

Although I still love Blackfish in Conshohocken. Chip has treated us so well over the years. I used to got to Blackfish and Bibou each 7 or 8 times a year when I lived down there.
Cheers,
/<evin

Erich Sachse
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Erich Sachse » July 19th, 2018, 7:28 pm

Count me in, assuming no travel comes up.

All of the places mentioned are great.

Jonathan Sirot

#29 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 19th, 2018, 8:08 pm

I also forgot to mention my friends Dennis and Windy Kanagie from NJ who regularly attend my Ct offlines wish to join. From S Jersey, this is a piece of cake. We are currently at 9 people which is a decent number. I propose we either consider the event the event full or allow one more, as from experience with 12 people you get miniscule pours, unless the group feels differently,

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Brian Tuite » July 19th, 2018, 8:20 pm

I’m not so sure about this Dennis character but if you vouch for him I guess it’s OK. ;-) He doubles as Cranburgundy on Cellartracker.

I updated the OP wth the roster. Once you guys finsih arguing over where to eat I’ll add that as well. I have the theme set as Blind Bdx vs California Cabs

Looking forward to this.

2019 WOTY...

Jonathan Sirot

#31 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 20th, 2018, 3:25 am

Brian Tuite wrote:I’m not so sure about this Dennis character but if you vouch for him I guess it’s OK. ;-) He doubles as Cranburgundy on Cellartracker.

I updated the OP wth the roster. Once you guys finsih arguing over where to eat I’ll add that as well. I have the theme set as Blind Bdx vs California Cabs

Looking forward to this.
Well I am not too sure about this Dennis character either, even though I know him well [wink.gif] I do know that he DOES bring great wines and that his bride Windy is quite charming.

Certainly not arguing about the restaurant, just trying to make everyone happy. Not always easy, but with Chris's advice and taking location, food quality, and budget into consideration it looks like we have a winner. Stay tuned to this channel. Part of the decision was proximity to Bob and Barbs, which several of us wish to check out after dinner.

ChristopherSK

#32 Post by ChristopherSK » July 20th, 2018, 1:06 pm

I very much look forward to meeting everyone, even if we went to Tony Luke's on Oregon and only had cheesteaks to go wit (sic) the wines.
Chri$toph3r S K0y$te

Jonathan Sirot

#33 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 20th, 2018, 2:26 pm

ChristopherSK wrote:I very much look forward to meeting everyone, even if we went to Tony Luke's on Oregon and only had cheesteaks to go wit (sic) the wines.
Hey good wine and good company works even with a killer cheesesteak, although maybe not the ideal pairing. It looked like we were all set to go to Entree byob, and then a double edged sword sliced that apart. Turns out it is restaurant week, which is a good deal, all the partcipipating restaurants want to turn the table 3 times in the evening, so we could only stay 2 hours. Can't blame them.

I just spoke to Benjamin at Will byob they are not doing restaurant week so it's not quite as inexpensive, but we can probably have the table for 3 hours or more. I think he mentioned there were 3 different prix fixe options each with multiple choices, but the tarriff nowhere near the 7 course previously mentioned. With this large a group he also mentioned the chef could likely accommodate special requests. Benjamin is getting back to me with more details shortly.
For anyone that wants to join at Bob and Barbs famous dive bar after for music etc it's a short subway or lyft ride.

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Ted Erfer » July 20th, 2018, 3:37 pm

If it is Will -- add my wife.
She and Chris are good buddies.

Erich Sachse
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Erich Sachse » July 20th, 2018, 6:01 pm

Will is outstanding, would definitely be supportive of that!

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Brian Tuite » July 20th, 2018, 6:12 pm

Where there’s Will there’s a way. Book it Dano!

OP updated to reflect venue, roster and theme. We’re not putting a price cap on the wines are we?

2019 WOTY...

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Er€z _ L. » July 20th, 2018, 6:21 pm

I'd follow the theme
Don't mind contributing a bubbly in the 'required' range :-)
£ € n c n @ r

Jonathan Sirot

#38 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 21st, 2018, 6:25 am

I just dropped Dennis a line, and he replied he is still interested, but will give final confirmation in a few days, when he is certain. I will book the reservation today for 10 with the understanding that we might be tweeking the number shortly.

"We're not putting a price cap on wines are we ?"

I love this question , as it is a fair one. At our offlines in Ct. our general rule is bring the best you can, and try to share something special. For some of us that means an extremely good $80- $100 btl and for others we bring wines that are in the $200 + range and sometimes things like Materium or MacDonald. If others want to make the range $100 plus that's great, or if folks are more comfortable in a more moderate range, no worries. I can fit into any niche. It's important whatever we decide, that we are totally inclusive. I will bring 2 btls as, I always do. 1 of them for the theme and the 2nd, either a 2nd btl of bubbly if we are 10 people, or if we end up with 8 then probably a btl of Sauternes.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Brian Tuite » July 21st, 2018, 6:38 am

Jonathan Sirot wrote:
"We're not putting a price cap on wines are we ?"

I love this question , as it is a fair one. At our offlines in Ct. our general rule is bring the best you can, and try to share something special. For some of us that means an extremely good $80- $100 btl and for others we bring wines that are in the $200 + range and sometimes things like Materium or MacDonald. If others want to make the range $100 plus that's great, or if folks are more comfortable in a more moderate range, no worries. I can fit into any niche. It's important whatever we decide, that we are totally inclusive. I will bring 2 btls as, I always do. 1 of them for the theme and the 2nd, either a 2nd btl of bubbly if we are 10 people, or if we end up with 8 then probably a btl of Sauternes.
The reason I asked is because sometimes there are conditions such as under $100 or a price range to try to keep things competitively fair when comparing two different regions. I’m good with bring what you enjoy and what you think the others will also enjoy.

2019 WOTY...

Jonathan Sirot

#40 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 21st, 2018, 6:47 am

As we are doing this blind, we should probably have each person simply declare which they are bringing a Cali Cab or a Bordeaux, if we want an equal mix. I already know which category for you Brian !

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Brian Tuite » July 21st, 2018, 6:58 am

Jonathan Sirot wrote:As we are doing this blind, we should probably have each person simply declare which they are bringing a Cali Cab or a Bordeaux, if we want an equal mix. I already know which category for you Brian !
I’m as transparent as a wine glass. blush
I’ll be bringing a few different bottles.

2019 WOTY...

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Ted Erfer » July 21st, 2018, 1:12 pm

OK --- So, what exactly is the theme and price range?
I read through the posts and didn't see something definitive.
Is it Bordeaux vs Cali Cab?

Jonathan Sirot

#43 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 21st, 2018, 6:33 pm

Sorry Ted for any confusion as there are a lot of posts and some are vague. Originally I proposed old world , but Brian's cellar understandably so. is very much Cali based. We did agree on Bordeaux vs Cali Cabs.

As for price range I had proposed $100 and up range as long as others are comfortable with that. I think for many of us that's acceptable, but I also don't think anybody should be excluded if it exceeds their comfort zone. Unless someone pipes up otherwise, then this is the rough guideline. My pick will likely be in the $200 range as I Have plenty of bottles in that range and enjoy sharing these great btls. with others. When by myself I occasionally open btls in that range, but more often I bring these btls to offlines.

Joshua Roberts

#44 Post by Joshua Roberts » July 21st, 2018, 7:14 pm

If there is a "maybe" list, like if someone has to cancel, etc., I'll be on it. I can't commit that far out at this point, but I am definitely interested.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Jeff Vaughan » July 22nd, 2018, 5:38 am

I know the group is getting large and the pours are getting smaller, but my wife Ann and I are interested, if there are cancellations or if you all decide that two more will work.
CT: outplaying

Jonathan Sirot

#46 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 22nd, 2018, 7:21 am

Hi josh and Jeff we are honored that you are interested in attending our event, but I just discussed this matter with Brian as he is the organizer and the guest of honor. We both agreed that we should max out at 10 people since pours do get very small, and the number of btls get to be a bit crazy to assess them all. I have done them before with this number but they get a lot more chaotic.

Having said this, there might become 2 spots available as Dennis and Windy who are interested in joining are not 100% sure yet and know within a few days. Although Joshua expressed interest he is not sure he can commit this far out, so If Dennis and Windy can't join, would be thrilled to have you join.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Brian Tuite » July 22nd, 2018, 7:55 am

Joshua/Jeff, I hadn’t read the thread and seen your requests. Chances are that spots may come available as has been my experience in setting these up. Life happens and things come up that affect ones plans. Jeff, you wanted to come to my first Philly offline but had a prior engagement (wedding anniversary?) Hopefully we can work something out. I’ll put you all on the waitlist just in case.

Either that or we step up our game and make it Magnums. [swoon.gif] [drinkers.gif]

Jonathan, guest of honor? I’m just an expensive drunk who doesn’t want to eat/drink alone.

2019 WOTY...

Jonathan Sirot

#48 Post by Jonathan Sirot » July 22nd, 2018, 8:00 am

Jeff Vaughan wrote:I know the group is getting large and the pours are getting smaller, but my wife Ann and I are interested, if there are cancellations or if you all decide that two more will work.
One 2nd thought Jeff, although this event might be full, we will know in a few days when Dennis gives a definite confirmation. If it is full the good news is if it works for your schedule there were likely be a 2nd event on Sat the 22nd. Chris and I have talked about doing a 2nd dinner which at this point is just 3 of us Me Chris and his girlfriend Catherine. He is a big time Bordeaux fan so that might be the theme. I will update within a few days whether there is room at this 1st event and that indeed we are doing a 2nd one.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Jeff Vaughan » July 23rd, 2018, 6:17 am

Thanks guys. Keep me posted on the 21st. If that doesn't work out, I'll run the 22nd past my wife.
CT: outplaying

EricW

#50 Post by EricW » July 25th, 2018, 10:19 am

I’m unfortunately out of town on Sept 21, but count me in for the next one! I host a blind tasting group that meets at Philly BYOs, and Melograno, Little Fish, and Mercato have been very accommodating. Thanks for all the great suggestions of other good spots.
Eric W o l f
CT: esw423

Return to “Offline Planner”