Old Vines Offline, Sonoma County - Younger Vintages? Let’s nail down a date.

It’s time for another Old Vines Offline. Calling out for participants and sub-themes.

Maybe this time we can do a twist on our regular lineup of older vintges and check into some newer wines, ‘12 and younger, to see how they are progressing? Just a thought. As usual I would be happy to host but if you want to make it a restaurant event then majority rules.

Dates wide open at this point but looking around August-September-October

California Heritage varieties, clarets, reds, whites, field blends…
Who’s in?

Hey Brian,

I’ll be out your way the 1st two weeks in October. If your Old Vines Offline should happen to fall in that time frame, count me in, I’m sure I could convince my California boss to free me up (and maybe even provide a bottle or two of some recent vintages of something Old and Mature).

Well, seeing you’re the first to respond, that’s the first set of dates we have to work with.

10-6-18
10-13-18

I’ll mark you and Fred as a definite maybe!

Dana and I are a likely, possible, tentative at this time. That said, we will really try to make this. We can do a more focused tasting on the younger wines, perhaps even trying to get a vertical or two of a specific wine or vineyard. As far as location, there are pros and cons to each. restaurant allows a central location, variety of food and no clean-up, but makes the interaction and wine sharing difficult. Your place is almost the opposite, with interaction and wine sharing very easy and we add the variety of food in here. The location is bit off the beaten path and prep and clean-up can take a bunch of your time. That said, I vote for your place.
We cannot make 10/13 due to a previous commitment, but can see if the other couple would trade baseball and beer tasting for wine tasting and an Old Vine Offline.

Great! The only things on my calendar at this time is out of town mid-July and Labor Day Weekend.

'12 and younger is not bad, or maybe focus directly on 2012? A much heralded vintage and one with early approachability.

Let me check with the boss. Do we want to do this at your place or a restaurant, maybe something a little south of you for those coming from the Bay Area?
I’ve got a couple fun things to bring this time: The first ever Rockpile Cemetery Zin, '04 W-S Feeney, maybe a '13 St. Peters Church Zin from Valdez–these clones are thought to be the basis of most of the older plantings of DCV and Sonoma Zins generally.

I don’t suppose we could move this to July? [cry.gif] I’ll be in Sonoma on July 16 and 17, if all stays according to plan. Would love to get together in any event for a different OL if we wanted to. I’ll probably toss up a separate thread, but thought worth it to mention here.

All best,

Mike

Will be there if at all possible!

I am around and would love to get together for an offline…

My vote is for the 13th of Oct…

The 13th is off the table for me. Looks like we’re doing Single Thread Farm that night for Dava’s Birthday.

Dates are still wide open, what else works for everyone?

Bump.

I’m flying in on Oct 1st and out on the 10th.

If not an OL then the very least let’s plan on getting together for dinner, my turn to buy.

Nobody responded to my last question so I don’t know if there is enough interest.

We can surely do dinner while you’re here.

Nothing came of this? At this point October is pretty full for us but early Nov is possible.

I asked people to give me some dates and that’s where it ended. I’m up for doing it anytime but we need to come to a consensus on a date.