BOSTON Offline - Cafe Mangal, Wellesley, MA (Thursday 6/7)

I just got in touch with Cafe Mangal and they said they would be glad to have a group of 10 people for dinner and wine tasting. BYOB, corkage is $7 and they have all the glassware. The reservation has been set for Thursday 6/7 at 6pm.

Per Doug’s advice, the “theme” will be anything from the Old World. Feel free to post what you think you might bring.

Guests:

1. Brian S. - 2008 Paul Bara Grand Cru Special Club + 2004 Produttori del Barbaresco Paje
  2. David K. - 2004 Fèvre Chablis Bougros Cote de Bouguerots
  3. Alicia C. - 2015 Herve Souhaut Les Cessieux
  4. Doug S. - 2004 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee (magnum)
  5. Kevin F. - NV Tarlant Champagne La Vigne d’Antan Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut Non Greffée (disgorged 12 Feb 2006) + 1998 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Rangen de Thann Clos St. Urbain Sélection de Grains Nobles
  6. Jeff D. - 1993 Lopez de Heredia “Viña Tondonia” Blanco Reserva Rioja
  7. Charles W. - 2006 Fèvre Chablis Bougros Cote de Bougerots + Bordeaux (1990 Sociando Mallet or 2001 Pichon Baron)
  8. David B. - Bordeaux
  9. Steve C. - 1995 Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Gran Reserva
  10. Jonathan S. - 2000 Arnaldo-Caprai Sagrantino di Montefalco 25 Anni + 1995 Chateau Tirecul La Graviere Monbazillac Cuvee Madam

I’d be up for it.

Thanks for organizing. I should be able to make it. Would another day work as Doug said he couldn’t do Fridays?

Hi! Thanks so much for organizing! Count me in for sure!! Really looking forward to meeting everyone!

Note date/time change!

How does Thursday 6/7 look for people, at 6pm? I would’ve suggested Sun or Mon so Doug could come but they aren’t open for dinner those dates. Please reconfirm if you already posted.

I’d be in.

yes, new time/date works for me!

Bummer, the only night I have Sox tickets this season is 6/7. Will try not to imagine what you are all drinking while I’m slugging overpriced beer at Fenway. Would love to meet up with you all next time. Welcome to the neighborhood, Alicia!

Bummer, I’ll be in the Rhone Valley, working. I will keep monitoring for other possible gatherings, especially at the reconstituted King Fung / China King.

Dan Kravitz

If you want to hang out in Wellesley and me in Ampuis instead I’ll gladly trade. :wink:

I would say I feel bad but I don’t [wink.gif]

Brian, please add my friend Jeff D. to the list. Thanks!

Put me down!

By the way, I’ve been to 300 Saratoga Cafe in East Boston (across from Rino’s) a couple of times now, which is the only legal BYOB restaurant in Boston, and I have enjoyed it. Not nock-your-socks-off, but very decent red sauce Italian cuisine. The owner Robin is definitely amenable to us organizing up to a 10-12 person offline. See my writeup:

Thanks Kevin. I knew there was a “trial run” for legal BYOB a couple years ago in Boston but read it didn’t go as expected and thus was scrapped. Would definitely be open to a future offline there.

I will bring a 2004 Fèvre Chablis Bougros Cote de Bouguerots (plus a backup of some sort in case it’s advanced or oxidized).

I’ve got confirmations from Charles W and David B for this event.

Guys - can’t do this one,but looking forward to attending a future off line.

Since David K is bringing a 2004 Fèvre Chablis Bougros Cote de Bouguerots I can bring a 2006 if that’s of interest.
Cafe Mangal does a nice rack of lamb, so I’ll bring a Bordeaux.
Thanks for the heads up Doug.

What other reds might work for this besides Bordeaux? I could potentially bring Bordeaux (1993 Cos d’Estournel), Brunello (2007 Valdicava), CdP (1990 Beaucastel), or some nebbiolo (2004 Produttori single cru)