NYC Friday 3/10 OL

Will be in NY for La Paulee. A couple of us would like to add others looking for to put together a BYO dinner Friday night, place and theme TBD.

So far

John C - 86 Mouton
Shoshana F +3 - 86 Margaux
Erez +1 - 70 Ducru, some nice Champagne
Jay and Barbara T - 89 and 90 Montrose, yquem
Diane - 85 Levangile

We have had an anti-Paulee dinner a few times in the past but I was just too busy to organize this year. If you want to take the lead, I could be forced to show up.

Sounds good, but you’ll have to shake the trees, there hasn’t been a lot of interest yet. Give me some suggestions on venue etc.

Venue? What would you like to eat?

Wide open, ethnic, Italian, seafood, just about everything but big beef that night…throw out a suggestion.

OK, first guest offering to bring an 86 Margaux.

With that shot across the bow, I will stand up with an 86 Mouton.

Jay, that’s known as the King’s Gambit Accepted! Next move…

I’m game and the wine tbd. Anything from bubbles with age, to some aged Bordeaux

PS- probably count me as plus one or two. I’d wine accordingly [cheers.gif]

Normally, at this point, I would play Krankl x Mentzelopoulos, Checkmate, but in deference to your palate, I will go all in with a 1990 Heitz Marthas.

As to places to eat, there are so many choices. A short list even if I exclude the red meat emporia:

Greek - Amali on 60th. They were very good about us bringing in wine about a month ago.

Chinese - all over the place. We can do Peking Duck House, Grand Szechuan or that place on East 40th that I always forget the name of.

Indian - Utsav on 46th and 6th avenue. Indian can be a weird pairing but I like it.

Italian - If you are game, Trattoria L’Incontro a few subway stops into Astoria is excellent. There is always Barbettas on West 46th, which will treat us very well if we just say the magic word - Leo.

Basque - Txikito on Ninth Avenue and about 25th street.

My pref would be midtown and reasonable corkage as two limiters. Of those you listed, Barbettas, then maybe Basque, then Chinese.

So far four, plus a few more between likely and tentative.

The Martha’s sounds great.

I will call Barbettas to see what we can reserve. What time?

Maybe 730?

I would be a maybe - depending on time and place. I have to be at work early Saturday morning.

Ok - change in wine plan. Long story but Barbara T. and I will bring a 1989 and a 1990 Montrose to drink side by side to see which is better. That will make a flight. I may bring other stuff depending on wether my wife and others come along as well.

Any chance to make it 7? My train gets in at 6:08 at Penn and the later one arrives at 8:30.

Sorry that I can’t make this one, already have plans as Keith is in town.

Jay, would you be able to get a reservation and figure out corkage? I’m hoping we won’t need to bring stems. Looks like we could be anywhere from 5-10 people.

The Montrose pair sounds great thanks. I lean 90 but not by much.

I’m game for 7 pm if that works for everyone else, and if they will have trouble getting there by then, you and I and Barbara and maybe Rebecca if she is feeling OK (broke her arm and had plate inserted a month ago) can just show up at 7 pm and drink all the good wine before other people come.

I will make the reservation. You DO NOT need to bring glasses. Barbetta is definitely not Peking Duck House.

7pm super [cheers.gif]

I can bring 1970 Ducru-Beaucaillou (I know Diane enjoyed the last one I opened, so I can play ‘safe’ lol). A younger wine could be 2000 La Conseillante. That said, some champagne with nice aging is also on the table for consideration (I need to check which of the pre 2000 is already in storage, but I can pull '06 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Rosé, if anyone wants to check it out. The BdB seems to be a WOTY for berserkers)

That all sounds great. I’ll likely bring a 1985 L’Evangile.