Atlanta, St. Patrick's Day - anyone around?

Announcements and planning of Offline events
mgriffith

#51 Post by mgriffith » March 7th, 2017, 1:13 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Mike Evans wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:I'm gonna have to pull rank and say I'm likely bringing one bottle - can't fit two in a carry-on size bag, with clothes! (as I will only do carry-on on the way back) I'll take smaller pours than others to compensate
I'll speak only for myself, but I personally don't think it is necessary for you to bring anything. I know that at least a few of us look forward to opportunities to deplete our cellars, and covering someone who is traveling fits the bill. I'm likely bringing at least one mag of a red, a couple single bottles of whites, and a sparkler or dessert wine, so you can be my +1. ;)
The others expect me to, so while I'll gladly be the BerserkerDay Champ's +1, I'll abide by the rules!
Rules?! We got no steenkin' rules!

Seriously. Don't sweat bringing anything. Just come and enjoy.
"Creating a signature because I have to, not because I want to." - Malcom Griffith

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#52 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 7th, 2017, 1:19 pm

mgriffith wrote:

No worries, it's not like I don't have any wine or anything!

Do they have stems there, I presume? Is it full 'dinner' menu or just snacks and stuff?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Dennis Sullivan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Dennis Sullivan » March 7th, 2017, 2:41 pm

You gotta admire Mike's Throughput.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#54 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 7th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Dennis Sullivan wrote:You gotta admire Mike's Throughput.
He's gotta dump some of those BerserkerDay wines SOMEHOW

I"m thinking either 2007 Fevre Les Clos or 2005 Prince Florent de Merode Corton-Bressandes
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Dennis Sullivan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Dennis Sullivan » March 7th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
mgriffith wrote:

Do they have stems there, I presume? Is it full 'dinner' menu or just snacks and stuff?
They have plentiful stemware.
Dinner fare. Gotta keep you healthy. Mark says not to overstress your system. (I don't think he's gonna approve of the single malt breakfast plan...)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#56 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 7th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Dennis Sullivan wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
mgriffith wrote:

They have plentiful stemware.
Dinner fare. Gotta keep you healthy. Mark says not to overstress your system. (I don't think he's gonna approve of the single malt breakfast plan...)
Once at Mark's I'm on the clock - have to be on point, as normally I'm teamed up with the same flight as Eric Asimov [swearing.gif]

Dennis Sullivan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Dennis Sullivan » March 10th, 2017, 12:01 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:

I"m thinking either 2007 Fevre Les Clos or 2005 Prince Florent de Merode Corton-Bressandes
If you bring the 2007 Fevre Les Clos I will definitely bring something to pair with it.

Dennis Sullivan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Dennis Sullivan » March 10th, 2017, 12:02 am

Dennis Sullivan wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

If you bring the 2007 Fevre Les Clos I will definitely bring something to pair with it.
Or maybe my wife will...

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Mike Evans » March 10th, 2017, 5:29 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Dump BerserkerDay wines? Never! Generously share BerserkerDay bounty? Absolutely! ;) Too bad none I have are on theme.

mgriffith

#60 Post by mgriffith » March 11th, 2017, 7:13 am

New update (cross posted to CT) - updated 3/13 with changes to declared wines

To recap a couple of recurring questions:

Basically we should look for a bottle per attendee. More if you are feeling magnanimous and/or want to insure that everyone can sample your offering(s).

Wine need not be specifically from Burgundy. Interesting wines using Burgundy varietals from other regions are absolutely welcome.

The object is a fun social evening to welcome a fellow wine traveler, not a rigid adherence to a formal symposium. Relax and enjoy. If you are stressing over the details then you are over thinking. Come. Bring great, interesting wine. Have fun. That the the plan in its entirety.

As of this morning (3/11) we have 19 attendees plus 1 visitor:

As of this morning (3/11) we have 19 attendees plus 1 visitor:

Jack667 +1 - 2010 Louis Latour Beaune 1er Cru Perrières x2
Jim and Traci (Jack's original potential +2)
Musedir (Tom and Marilyn) - 2013 Maison Harbour Bourgogne x2, 2014 Remoissenet Père et Fils Bourgogne Blanc x2
Randy and Kris Katz
Mgriffith (Malcom and Katherine) +1 - 2001 Louis Latour Corton-Grancey x2, 2010 Domaine Amiot Guy et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Maltroie, 2010 Patrice Rion Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos St. Marc x2
Mindmuse (Dennis and Faye) +1 - Fevre 2007 Grand Cru, or another producer's 2007 Les Clos (working off Todd's choice)
Todd French - 2007 Fevre Les Clos or 2005 Prince Florent de Merode Corton-Bressandes
Mike Evans
Jeff Davis
Sawtooh (CTer) +1
Greg and Leslie
Ibetian (CTer) in a drive-by (cannot attend the full event)
Last edited by mgriffith on March 13th, 2017, 4:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Creating a signature because I have to, not because I want to." - Malcom Griffith

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#61 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 11th, 2017, 7:35 am

I'm gonna invite Eric - see if he's in town Friday, or if I only see him Saturday/Sunday, since there are several 'CTer' folk in here!

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#62 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 11th, 2017, 11:08 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:I'm gonna invite Eric - see if he's in town Friday, or if I only see him Saturday/Sunday, since there are several 'CTer' folk in here!
No go - he's not able to make it to the tasting at Mark's, either - maybe next year

mgriffith

#63 Post by mgriffith » March 11th, 2017, 11:39 am

Well just damn then

Dennis Sullivan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Dennis Sullivan » March 11th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Didn't see in time, but yeah, I'd already invited him figuring he'd likely be going now he's back on this side of the pond. He said he'll probably be attending future ones though.

Dennis Sullivan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Dennis Sullivan » March 11th, 2017, 7:50 pm

I also invited Roy, and he's an outside possibility, but already had some irons in the fire to do a Maderia seminar if arrangements work out.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#66 Post by c fu » March 12th, 2017, 7:08 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
mgriffith wrote:
Well, my dress tartan kilt will be at the cleaners that day, so I had to insure we did not go formal.
So we can dress Fu-style - loose, droopy poor-fitting jeans, 10-year old faded Gap henley t-shirt...and Wine Berserkers Lapel Pin to class it up a bit.
Have you guys heard, Todd's going to the annual bordeaux at Mark Taylor's?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#67 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 12th, 2017, 7:17 pm

c fu wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
mgriffith wrote:
Well, my dress tartan kilt will be at the cleaners that day, so I had to insure we did not go formal.
So we can dress Fu-style - loose, droopy poor-fitting jeans, 10-year old faded Gap henley t-shirt...and Wine Berserkers Lapel Pin to class it up a bit.
Have you guys heard, Todd's going to the annual bordeaux at Mark Taylor's?
At least somebody invites me to events...

mgriffith

#68 Post by mgriffith » March 13th, 2017, 4:57 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote: At least somebody invites me to events...
You have me beat.

Kurt Batsel

#69 Post by Kurt Batsel » March 13th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Do you guys have room for two more? Would love to attend with my wife (Kristin) if so.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#70 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 13th, 2017, 4:55 pm

Holy crap, we're at 20 and have 2 more wanting to come? Should we rent the place out or something?

mgriffith

#71 Post by mgriffith » March 13th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Kurt Batsel wrote:Do you guys have room for two more? Would love to attend with my wife (Kristin) if so.
I think we can make room for you both. Come join us.

Kurt Batsel

#72 Post by Kurt Batsel » March 13th, 2017, 7:57 pm

Thanks, looking forward to it.

Dennis Sullivan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Dennis Sullivan » March 13th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Holy crap, we're at 20 and have 2 more wanting to come? Should we rent the place out or something?
Ibetian looks to be unable to drop in. Sawtooth is now solo, not a +1.

Adding Kurt +1 is okay, presumably putting us at 20. We will fill up their far back patio area, and are really about capacity there. I haven't heard back from Eric A. nor definitively from Roy H., but yeah, the restaurant - and I talked with the co-owner/Somm today to let him know of our expanding group - is being VERY generous is letting us take a large chunk of their restaurant on a Friday night, which also happens to be St. Patty's Day night.

Kurt, are you on CellarTracker as well? And on their Forum?

Dennis Sullivan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Dennis Sullivan » March 13th, 2017, 9:58 pm

Cross post from CT Forum:

As of now it looks like we'll be dry and warmer on Friday in the ATL.

We'll have the far back patio to ourselves for our sizable crowd Friday night.
To keep service timely and manageable for us all, we will have a compressed menu, but it is still flexible for you. We'll start with some of Terra Terroir's excellent Brussels Sprouts appetizers for the table, which should give everyone some crunch to enjoy with our reception Champagne (well, assuming someone brings some!).
For a salad course, please select from the Caesar salad or the Carrot/walnut salad.
Entrées you may choose from are a Monaco Chicken, Seared Salmon, Steak Frites, or Grilled Lamb Chop.
And a dessert course you may avail yourself of would be a Flourless Chocolate Torte or a Grand Marnier Crème Brûlée.
(I often don't even eat dessert, but when Chris said they'd make the GMCB, well, I just consider that a reward. I freaking LOVE Crème Brûlée with good Pinot Noir. If you haven't tried that pairing, see if it works for you.)

All of these dishes are Gluten Free. If you have specific allergies that the above don't provide a solution for, or if you are vegetarian, please let me know in advance and you'll definitely be taken care of. But don't wait until Friday night and ask to go off the reservation or it will delay everyone else.

Now.
- We are not paying a premium for anything over the off menu price.
- We are not paying a premium over the customary large party basic gratuity.
- We are not being charged any corkage fee at a seven year Wine Spectator Award of Excellence restaurant.
- We are occupying a chunk of their restaurant on a Friday night, which is also St. Patrick's Day night, which they would fill up without us even being there. And flip the tables we will occupy an extra time. And not receive high dollar / high margin beverage orders to go along with the meals. This, quite frankly, is a remarkable concession.

Places that treat us winos like this are few and far between. Some, like this one, have years of good-will building between them and the special wine-sharing folks like us for them to even entertain an arrangement like this. But all we have to do is very simple.
- Bring interesting, excellent wines.
- Offer Chris (our Somm/Mgr.) tastes, and other service staff as appropriate.
- Take very good care of our waitstaff. (Chris says "very". I say "very, very".)
And if you do that, the next time you come back with your own wines under the same conditions, you can expect special corkage treatment as well. And if you don't bring your own wine, trust Chris's excellent palate and thoughtful, reasonable wine list. And send your friends. And have them mention us.

One more thing. We will put a stress on TT's Burgundy stemware if we insist on that rather than Bordeaux stems. Which, honestly, I have.
But I also said we can probably supply some of our own to make that happen. I can muster a fair number of Burg stems, but I would suggest if you have some favorite ones of your own you might consider bringing. Stay tuned, as we'll see how we may be count-wise. (Chris says they can't be responsible for breakage of customer stems, but just keep track of your own and don't break 'em, or if you do, drink more Burgundy to lament.)

This. Should. Be. Memorable!

Kurt Batsel

#75 Post by Kurt Batsel » March 14th, 2017, 5:57 am

Yes, I am on CellarTracker - my handle is "Sir Drink Alot".

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Mike Evans » March 14th, 2017, 7:34 am

Dennis, I'll bring my own stems in my handy dandy Wine Check Elite Stemware Case.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#77 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 14th, 2017, 7:39 am

Mike Evans wrote:Dennis, I'll bring my own stems in my handy dandy Wine Check Elite Stemware Case.
Brown Noser!!!! [wink.gif]

Looks like it will be jacket weather if we have outdoor patio area - high of 64, low of 51 that day

Tom Butler

#78 Post by Tom Butler » March 14th, 2017, 8:53 am

First post on WB but seems appropriate with a thread I'm going to be a participant. Looking forward to meeting Todd and others from ATL I have not met as of yet. Dr. M has already declared her menu to me thanks to Dennis. Slight shift - I am bringing a pair of 2006 Miura PN Pisoni Vineyard which are ready to drink. If no one has tried Nicholas Harbour's Burgs yet, I can also bring a sample as originally planned. If aware of his wines, then I'll just bring 2 whites and 2 reds.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#79 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 14th, 2017, 9:12 am

Tom Butler wrote:First post on WB but seems appropriate with a thread I'm going to be a participant. Looking forward to meeting Todd and others from ATL I have not met as of yet. Dr. M has already declared her menu to me thanks to Dennis. Slight shift - I am bringing a pair of 2006 Miura PN Pisoni Vineyard which are ready to drink. If no one has tried Nicholas Harbour's Burgs yet, I can also bring a sample as originally planned. If aware of his wines, then I'll just bring 2 whites and 2 reds.
I would love to try Nicholas Harbour's Burgs!

Tom Butler

#80 Post by Tom Butler » March 14th, 2017, 11:28 am

I'll bring one to try.

Dennis Sullivan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Dennis Sullivan » March 14th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Mike Evans wrote:Dennis, I'll bring my own stems in my handy dandy Wine Check Elite Stemware Case.
Hey, that looks like mine! [snort.gif]

Dennis Sullivan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by Dennis Sullivan » March 14th, 2017, 12:59 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Brown Noser!!!! [wink.gif]

Looks like it will be jacket weather if we have outdoor patio area - high of 64, low of 51 that day
They call it the patio, but it is enclosed. And doesn't even leak this year.

Dennis Sullivan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Dennis Sullivan » March 14th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Tom Butler wrote:I'll bring one to try.
I'd love to try one too.
Of course, Pisoni is an American Grand Cru Pinot vineyard. Perhaps the most structured fruit.

Tom Butler

#84 Post by Tom Butler » March 14th, 2017, 4:06 pm

I'm bringing both Dennis, plus some white Burgs for M.

Dennis Sullivan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Dennis Sullivan » March 14th, 2017, 4:13 pm

[highfive.gif]
Well, if you're not overachieving, you're underachieving, right?

Tom Butler

#86 Post by Tom Butler » March 14th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Not sure about the former but pretty sure about the latter.

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by PaulMills » March 14th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote: I would love to try Nicholas Harbour's Burgs!

We are hosting a thing for them at our house Saturday night, come over to Greenville and join us. Nicholas and Colleen will be here.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#88 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 14th, 2017, 6:42 pm

PaulMills wrote:

We are hosting a thing for them at our house Saturday night, come over to Greenville and join us. Nicholas and Colleen will be here.
Our stuff goes until about 8:30-9 so we'll see...will you guys still be at it?

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Mike Evans » March 14th, 2017, 6:59 pm

I've finalized my wines to a magnum of 1999 Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle Les Charmes and 2 1998 Baumard Coteaux du Layon Carte d'Or (750ml). The latter should be great with the crème brûlée if they are sound, and the color seems good, but Baumard isn't immune to premox so I can't make any promises.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Mike Evans » March 14th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
PaulMills wrote:

Greenville, SC is about 2 hours from Atlanta . . .

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#91 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 14th, 2017, 7:14 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
PaulMills wrote:

Greenville, SC is about 2 hours from Atlanta . . .
ok then...

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by PaulMills » March 15th, 2017, 3:40 am

You have been to Clemson so I figured you knew where Greenville was.

mgriffith

#93 Post by mgriffith » March 15th, 2017, 9:50 am

Dennis Sullivan wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:Holy crap, we're at 20 and have 2 more wanting to come? Should we rent the place out or something?
Ibetian looks to be unable to drop in. Sawtooth is now solo, not a +1.

Adding Kurt +1 is okay, presumably putting us at 20. We will fill up their far back patio area, and are really about capacity there. I haven't heard back from Eric A. nor definitively from Roy H., but yeah, the restaurant - and I talked with the co-owner/Somm today to let him know of our expanding group - is being VERY generous is letting us take a large chunk of their restaurant on a Friday night, which also happens to be St. Patty's Day night.

Kurt, are you on CellarTracker as well? And on their Forum?
Jack's second couple has canceled, so as of now we are at 18 plus one visitor. I am putting the latest update on a separate post.

mgriffith

#94 Post by mgriffith » March 15th, 2017, 9:54 am

Apologies for the lack of updates on my part.

Mon and Tues had me down with a 104.7 temp. As you can imagine, I was not in much condition to post anything.

As of this morning (3/15) we have 18 attendees:

Jack667 +1 - 2010 Louis Latour Beaune 1er Cru Perrières x2
Musedir (Tom and Marilyn) - 2006 Miura Pisoni x2, 2014 Remoissenet Père et Fils Bourgogne Blanc x2
Randy and Kris Katz
Mgriffith (Malcom and Katherine) +1 - 2001 Louis Latour Corton-Grancey x2, 2010 Domaine Amiot Guy et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Maltroie, 2010 Patrice Rion Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos St. Marc x2
Mindmuse (Dennis and Faye) +1 - Fevre 2007 Grand Cru, or another producer's 2007 Les Clos (working off Todd's choice)
Todd French - 2007 Fevre Les Clos or 2005 Prince Florent de Merode Corton-Bressandes
Mike Evans 1999 Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle Les Charmes (magnum) and 2x 1998 Baumard Coteaux du Layon Carte d'Or
Jeff Davis
Sawtooh (CTer)
Greg and Leslie
Kurt Batsel +1

Thanks, Dennis for all your efforts and updates. This would have fell apart without you!

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#95 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 15th, 2017, 9:57 am

Malcolm - 104 fever is no joke!! Did you go to the hospital?

I'm likely not bringing a bottle, to save on hassle both when I leave at butt-crack-o-clock and getting on MARTA. I'll head right to the hotel to 'freshen up' so I"m not full of plane-stink when I get there, then return to the restaurant. I'll pick something up at Total Wine, as their selection looks pretty good, so let me know what blanks need filling in...

mgriffith

#96 Post by mgriffith » March 15th, 2017, 10:05 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Malcolm - 104 fever is no joke!! Did you go to the hospital?
No, just stayed asleep as much as possible. I do NOT like hospitals. Though TW was threatening to have me kidnapped and dragged to urgent care.

Tom Butler

#97 Post by Tom Butler » March 15th, 2017, 11:30 am

Malcom, add a bottle of Maison Harbour to my stuff since Todd has never tasted their wines (as well as a couple of others probably as well).

Hope you're feeling better... 104 fever is no small matter.

Jeff_Davis

#98 Post by Jeff_Davis » March 16th, 2017, 9:57 am

Gents -

My apologies for the late notice, but I must leave the state tomorrow for a memorial service and will not be able to attend. Hopefully there will be another event before too long that I can meet the ATL crew.

Have a great evening!

Jeff

RKatz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by RKatz » March 16th, 2017, 10:20 am

With 18+ now attending, it looks like I'll be bringing a magnum or 2 of each offering for table wines.

Unfortunately, I just drank my last magnums of both '96 DRC Montrachet and '96 Mugnier Musigny last month so I can't offer those. :p

What I can bring is a mag of '96 Verget Chablis GC Bougros and I will choose either a mag or 2 bottles of a ready to pop red burg. I will also bring a special sticky for afterwards - to be determined. Maybe some bubbles??

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#100 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 16th, 2017, 10:23 am

Wow, so there will be the equivalent of 3 bottles of wine per person???

Return to “Offline Planner”