NYC Rookies Hot Chinese + Cold Summer Wines! 7/18/16

Hi Everyone!

For our July dinner here are the details:

Who? - NYC Rookies
What? - Hot Chinese Food and Cold Summer Wines (Rieslings or whatever else you think might go — but it needs to be able to hold up to spice!)
When? - Monday, July 18, 2016 6:30 pm
Where? - Grand Sichuan - 19 St. Marks Place
Why? - Why not?
How? - No fixed menu this time. Chinese is best when shared so let’s just decide when we get there and split up the bill. Please note, we are being charged small corkage ($5 per bottle).

Reminder - Attendees are strongly encouraged to bring stemware.

There are quite a few articles/blog posts when you do a google search on wine pairings for Sichuan cuisine. There seem to be lots of interesting possibilities so don’t hesitate to be a bit creative. High alcohol tends not to work well, fruit is important, bubbles work, heavy tannins not so much, acidity is good, and a little sweetness can work magic. Younger wines seem to work better than ones with too much age. From what I’m reading, certain wines will work better with certain dishes and not so much with others so picking a WOTN will be interesting!

Who’s in???

Total: 11

Ellen Shell - 2012 Kerpen Alte Reben Wehlener Sonnenuhr Rielsing Spätlese and 2011 Charvet Morgon Côte du Py
Jesse Itzkowitz - 2004 Ratzenberger Bacharacher Spatlese and 2004 Kruger Rumpf Spatlese.
Alex Nicholas - Arterberry Maresh 2011 - Winderlea Vineyard
Jorge Henriquez - TBD
Matt Shear - TBD
Rich Salsano - 2013 Smith Madrone Riesling and 2012 Spanish red from Galicia
Larry Chen +1 - TBD
Tony C - 2014 Enderle & Moll Liaison
Tom Rippe - Pinot Noir plus a white
Marc Hanes - Gunderlach Riesling plus TBD

I am in

Yes!!! In!!!

In.
Thanks, Ellen!

I should be in for this. Have a really interesting red that I think would be perfect.

In! Riesling for sure.

Just because I’ve eaten there so many times I’ll mention that there are a small but significant number of red friendly wines on the menu. Smoked tea duck of course, but also the cucumber with scallion sauce matches remarkably well with many pinots/Burgundies and the red cooked pork with chestnut dishes are great with medium bodied Bordeaux and Rioja.

Thanks Jay. Should be a fun night with lots of wine possibilities.

Please count me in, will be bringing a +1. Possibly one red and one white or sparkling.

In.

I would like to join you. But since I can’t drink red wine I’ll monitor the thread. Please sign me up.

Tom

Hi Tom

We would love to have you join us.

Ellen

Hey just putting it out there but let’s consider Rose theme for August? We could have fun.

Rose doesn’t interest me. I think their are so many bad Rose and handful of good ones. My .02.

Since most people are thinking German white, I will bring a German red. 2014 Enderle & Moll Liaison.

I leave for vacation on Sat (Alaska) back July 11. I’ll catch up on our thread when I return.

I just opened this last night and it was awesome. Even though I knew it was German it was still a surprise (in a terrific way) that it tasted the way it did, a fantastic expression of Pinot Noir!

Looking forward to this. Thanks Larry.

Howdy, not sure what the cap is on number of attendees. But I am interested if there’s room, want to make more time for offline events and such, used to do it a lot and always had a lot of fun. Let me know, if not this one perhaps a future get together, thanks. ~ Marc

Thinking about Duck and Pinot, so will bring Arterberry Maresh 2011 - Winderlea Vineyard.

HI Marc. Please plan to join us. We would love to have you.

Thanks

Ellen