Falltacular 2019--Saturday, 2/16/2019 @ My Place In The OC

Announcements and planning of Offline events
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Falltacular 2019--Saturday, 2/16/2019 @ My Place In The OC

#51 Post by Frank Murray III » November 28th, 2018, 6:03 pm

SOLD OUT! Boom. Well, that was fun. A wait list is now going to be started. As any additional checks come in, they will go onto a list and if they want Laura's House to hold (not cash) the check, they can be placed in queue to see if we end up with some space as the event nears. If folks don't want to be on this wait list, then they can skip sending in the check and we will look forward to seeing you in 2020, and accept that we appreciate you thinking of Falltacular. NOTE--for transparency, there are a few people who already paid but there are transit quirks with their payment. They will get added to the file this week and they know who they are, as I spoke to them earlier this week.

I am going to let things settle now for a few days and then we will start getting after the silent auction donations for the garage. This auction drives 50-55% of what we raise, it is critical to the culture and spirit of the event. We also need to get after the Friday dinner BYOB event sign-ups, as well as the Volunteer schedule. So, more to come.

As I posted the file today, I thought of a cool song that always makes me smile and feel positive. If you want 3 mins of joy, play this.

Onward!
Last edited by Frank Murray III on November 29th, 2018, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My best wines of 2018:
2013 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier d'Or
2015 Kutch Sonoma Coast PN
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay
2012 Savart Expression Nature Ecueil
2010 Tercero Verbiage (Rouge) Santa Barbara County

Kindness matters.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#52 Post by c fu » November 28th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Made the cut. Whew
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

Andrew Christiansen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Andrew Christiansen » November 28th, 2018, 10:18 pm

c fu wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 9:12 pm
Made the cut. Whew
Cool!

Big “whew” from me last night. As of about 11pm Monday night, I randomly checked the Offline forum, saw the Falltacular thread, said, “oh, shit”, jumped outa bed, made out a couple checks, woke up and drove straightaway to the Laura’s House office (about 1.5 miles from my house) to hand-deliver the checks! Literally made it by a couple hours.

WTF? I remember the event didn’t fill up until early/late January only a couple years ago. First, Barolo...then Northern Rhône...now Falltacular!

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Blake Brown » November 29th, 2018, 8:06 am

Hooray for the sell out and benefit to Laura`s House. Nice touch Frank with the Chaka Khan tune. Looking forward to it and meeting so many fine folks at the Friday dinner and Saturday event.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Frank Murray III » November 29th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Good evening everyone. The Event File is updated again with more wines, auction items, volunteer schedule and guest payments. Click link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n6y1k2ej149j ... yrl4a?dl=0

As I said yesterday, there is now a wait list and that will appear in the file. We have never had to do this kind of approach but it is the nature of the event's popularity now. We have some people on there who have come in years past and have been diligent with the event. What I would ask is that if any of you that have paid for 2 people have a sense that your +1 is not going to attend, do a favor for me and give your +1 spot to one of the wait list people now. This is one way we can help.

For those who are waiting, there will be a point where I evaluate and see if we can pull these folks in but that won't be until late January. For anyone else whose checks are in transit or you want to wait list, we will continue to take them but you need to understand you will go into queue on the wait list.

Thank you all for understanding.
My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Frank Murray III » November 30th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Folks in the Falltacular family. Need a hand. Who is JOHN LUTHER? We got a check today for 2 people and need to wait list him but there is no phone contact #. Anyone know this person? Thank you.

BTW, Andrew, that is one helluva story. And the funny part, you of all 150 people I believe live the closest to the Laura's House corporate office. What is it, a 2 min drive? [rofl.gif]
My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Andrew Christiansen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Andrew Christiansen » November 30th, 2018, 11:30 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 4:31 pm
BTW, Andrew, that is one helluva story. And the funny part, you of all 150 people I believe live the closest to the Laura's House corporate office. What is it, a 2 min drive? [rofl.gif]
Yup, about 4-5 minutes, or about 1.5 miles. With four roundabouts and a stoplight, it's about 50/50 you can reach the office from my house without stopping! We drive past the office on a regular and sometimes daily basis.

I actually hand-deliver a check most years, usually not until I get around to it, but this year I had no choice! We were with family in Silicon Valley over Thanksgiving, and I wasn't on WB much, and certainly not the Offline Planner forum. For some reason I clicked on it before turning out the light, and BOOM...I ran downstairs to make out the check.

Ladera Ranch is fine, if a bit stepford-wifey, and although the schools are top-notch, the restaurants and grocery stores mostly suck. But this one thing is really cool, only to us wine dorks: I have the security of knowing I can get my Falltacular check to the desk within minutes to secure our spots!

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Blake Brown » December 1st, 2018, 7:37 am

Andrew Christiansen wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 11:30 pm
Frank Murray III wrote:
Yup, about 4-5 minutes, or about 1.5 miles. With four roundabouts and a stoplight, it's about 50/50 you can reach the office from my house without stopping! We drive past the office on a regular and sometimes daily basis.

I actually hand-deliver a check most years, usually not until I get around to it, but this year I had no choice! We were with family in Silicon Valley over Thanksgiving, and I wasn't on WB much, and certainly not the Offline Planner forum. For some reason I clicked on it before turning out the light, and BOOM...I ran downstairs to make out the check.

Ladera Ranch is fine, if a bit stepford-wifey, and although the schools are top-notch, the restaurants and grocery stores mostly suck. But this one thing is really cool, only to us wine dorks: I have the security of knowing I can get my Falltacular check to the desk within minutes to secure our spots!
Love the post Andrew. So pleased I`ll see you and the gang sooner than later on for this event . Happy holidays
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#59 Post by Todd F r e n c h » December 1st, 2018, 8:03 am

Frank Murray III wrote:

Thanks to La Pata, you have easy access to the (much better) stores and restaurants of San Clemente!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#60 Post by larry schaffer » December 1st, 2018, 9:35 am

So awesome to read this thread and see how quickly it sold out! So happy for Margaret and all at Laura's House, the beneficiary of Saturday's main event. Always a highlight of mine taking part in this event, and this year will be no different. Now to get backing once again . . . :-) Or maybe not . . .
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Andrew Christiansen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Andrew Christiansen » December 2nd, 2018, 3:11 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 8:03 am
Frank Murray III wrote:

Thanks to La Pata, you have easy access to the (much better) stores and restaurants of San Clemente!
Actually, LaPata was built to allow Baja Ladera, aka as your neighborhood of Talega, easy access for to mainland Ladera Ranch, no?

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by SeanHarding » December 2nd, 2018, 8:06 pm

December 2nd, 2018, 3:11 pm
Actually, LaPata was built to allow Baja Ladera, aka as your neighborhood of Talega, easy access for to mainland Ladera Ranch, no?
This is my favorite post ever on WB.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#63 Post by Todd F r e n c h » December 2nd, 2018, 9:21 pm

December 2nd, 2018, 3:11 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 8:03 am

Um, for your one gas station? Or the Tilly's?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Cris Whetstone » December 2nd, 2018, 10:24 pm

Oh boy. Lets please have some more provincial South OC sniping from you ladies. I'm sure one of you gained a better dog stylist or botox 'n peel shop out of the deal.

neener
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Andrew Christiansen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Andrew Christiansen » December 2nd, 2018, 11:06 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 10:24 pm
Oh boy. Lets please have some more provincial South OC sniping from you ladies. I'm sure one of you gained a better dog stylist or botox 'n peel shop out of the deal.

neener
...the best is that he thinks I'm serious. That, and there's TWO gas stations!

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#66 Post by Todd F r e n c h » December 3rd, 2018, 9:56 am

December 2nd, 2018, 11:06 pm
Cris Whetstone wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 10:24 pm

neener
...the best is that he thinks I'm serious. That, and there's TWO gas stations!
AM/PM doesn't count

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Frank Murray III » December 5th, 2018, 3:27 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
Folks in the Falltacular family. Need a hand. Who is JOHN LUTHER? We got a check today for 2 people and need to wait list him but there is no phone contact #. Anyone know this person? Thank you.

We mailed John Luther a letter this week. The reminder to all those viewing (and lurking) is that I stand by my comment that we know each and every person that attends Falltacular. Further, the check arrived after the onset of the wait list so we'll give him the option to wait (once he speaks to us and helps us understand how he found the event) or have the check sent back to him. FYI.
My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Frank Murray III » December 6th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Good afternoon from a rainy Orange County. It's a relief to see this rain and I also hope that it will be a good friend and not bother us on Falltacular weekend in February.

Now that the check donation process has quieted down, I'd like to shift focus, to put the other key pieces of the event into motion: the Volunteer Schedule and the Silent Auction. The role of the volunteer is to give me a hand and help the event flow smoothly so I assign willing volunteers to the Volunteer Schedule to take just an hour of the day to assist. The Silent Auction is another critical aspect of the event, driving 55-60% of our revenue of the event. I count on many of you to either donate items (typically wine) for the auction, or you act as a buyer of the items. Either action helps, but I need both sides of the equation and right now, I need silent auction commitments to be identified to me so I can build the auction list.

Please take a moment to use the Event File and take a look at the schedule, or think about a wine donation you can make. Please help me fill the garage with items so we can pack it with people, bid sheets, pens and really nail it again.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n6y1k2ej149j ... yrl4a?dl=0

Send me your replies as you wish, either as a post, private message or email. Thank you all.
My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Frank Murray III » December 12th, 2018, 10:52 am

Hello everyone. Just a quick update. Charlie Fu is not attending so we will move Eldon Gath and Dave Gunn from the wait list into the event. We still have a few people waiting so we will see what happens.

I will post an update spreadsheet link this week with all the new donations and wine commitments--I am behind.
My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by brigcampbell » December 12th, 2018, 4:03 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 10:52 am
Hello everyone. Just a quick update. Charlie Fu is not attending so we will move Eldon Gath and Dave Gunn from the wait list into the event.
The homemade focaccia should be a golden ticket every year. [wow.gif]

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Cris Whetstone » December 12th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Eldon in.
Charlie out.
I'm cool with that. neener
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#72 Post by c fu » December 12th, 2018, 10:23 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 6:47 pm
Eldon in.
Charlie out.
I'm cool with that. neener
me too
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©