Ladd Cellars Chardonnay, Pinot, Cab Franc & Tempranillo!

Warm up your credit cards and come on in, as here is where you will find all the BerserkerDay offers - open to EVERYONE who loves wine. Apologize to your spouse or significant other ahead of time. #BD11
Forum rules
Not 'Rules', necessarily, but here's how BerserkerDay goes:

I'll be launching offers in groups of 8-10, in increments of 30 minutes. Sponsors will stay pegged at the top of the forum all day, each new group of offers will come in at the top with them for their launch grouping, cycling into the 'normal' thread after their launch time has passed, with a new launch group posted atop the thread thereafter. Discussion is encouraged, as posting replies moves the thread up to the top of the grouping, whether that is during launch time group or the 'regular' forum.

Keep checking in every 30 minutes for new offers being posted, and keep scrolling down to see everything that has been launched throughout the timeframe in which you've been on the forum, which hopefully is ALL DAY
Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Ladd Cellars Chardonnay, Pinot, Cab Franc & Tempranillo!

#1 Post by Eric Lundblad » January 9th, 2020, 2:00 pm

I make Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from West Sonoma Coast, Sebastopol and the deep end of the Anderson Valley. I also make a bit of wine from the Sierra Foothills...higher elevation vineyards with interesting/complex soils, picked early for complex & refreshing wines.

My Pinots have been described as 'Oregon-style pinot but with more fruit', which I think is apt, and old world in the case of my Chardonnay.

The Mixed Chardonnay 3 pack:
One bottle each:
2015, 2016 & 2017 Sonoma Coast Chardonnays

This is from a single vineyard of 40+ year old vines, on the coast between Sebastopol & Occidental. The great thing about old vines is the character, density & balance of the wine that they produce. This shows in my Chardonnay, and it's what I credit for the multiple Michelin Star placements I've gotten for my Chardonnay & Pinots. The unfortunate part is the declining yields (tons of fruit per acre) as the years march on. The vineyard owner began looking at replanting, and has started in some blocks...a terrifying moment when I first heard! Fortunately, I've been able to pay up to retain the old vines in my block! I'm thrilled, and the vineyard owner is as well.

The pH in the bottle ranges from 3.1 to 3.25, entirely natural acid and old vine density/richness & character with excellent acidity is what makes a great chardonnay. Tasting notes include: Lemon peel, citrus, yellow (& green) apples, white peach, with saline & savory elements. Pure & focused. Intensity without weight.

The Mixed Pinot 3 pack:
One bottle each:
2014 Cuvee Abigail, Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
2013 Moore Ranch, Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
2014 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir (the 2012 RRV Pinot is an alternate selection for the 2014)

These are some of my favorite wines in their early stage of showing well. See below for more info/detail on the vineyards behind these wines.

The Classics 3 pack:
One bottle each:
2011 Pratt Vineyard Pinot Noir
2012 Anderson Valley Pinot Noir
2008 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir (the 2010 RRV Pinot is an alternate selection for the 2008)

I make my Pinots to age for the long haul, and these are beginning to show their stuff, with red and dark fruits, earth and other savory and nuanced qualities showing up. These are still quite youthful, and will continue to develop for another 10 years or so. The 2011 Pratt is esp brilliant, one of the top pinots I've made, benefiting from the cool vintage.

The Foothills Adventure Hits the Big Time:
One bottle each:
2017 Alney Sierra Foothills Tempranillo
2017 Giesler Baron Vineyard Sierra Foothills Cabernet Franc

Both are brilliant wines, picked at ~22 brix, yet flavors exactly what I was looking for, with an interesting & balanced structure. Both are high elevation vineyards, in El Dorado, with excellent soils & 25+ year old vines.

The origins of my Foothills Adventure was making Zin in 2015 (and 2016) in an old school/early picked style. There are a few notes out there on this zin...including the following comments. I think these are in line with what I'm trying to do in general with my foothills efforts, and the Cab Franc & Tempranillo offered here.

These were from: https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=2643623

Random thoughts about above wines/vineyards/etc:

Moore Ranch, aka my RRV Pinot
Located near Sebastopol on Occidental road. Thin topsoil on top of a rocky subsoil gives a savory/earthy/mineral quality to the wines, in addition to the red and dark fruit. Because of its cool location, these wines display a Sonoma Coast character in addition to the Russian River. Moore Ranch wines have a strong terroir signature, from the soil, location and vine age of course. Clones include Pommard, Swan, 115, 114, 777 and 667, planted in 1997. The Russian River Pinot comes entirely from Moore Ranch fruit, tho the RRV and Moore Ranch bottlings come from different clones and different pick dates. The main point here is the RRV is made to be it's own wine & and own specific character, rather than a collections of unloved (well, lesser loved :) ) barrels.

Nash Mill
Located not far from Burt Williams' Morning Dew Ranch, in the deep end of Anderson valley, north west of Octopus Mountain...making this a mountain slope vineyard. The topsoil is a sandy clay loam typical to the deep end. The subsoil has large amounts of shale in it, which adds an appealing/distinctive savory quality. Tho the type of soil is common in AV, the large amount of shale isn't, and it's a common characteristic of most of the top AV sites.

The 2012 Anderson Valley Pinot is a mix of Pommard, 115 & 667, entirely from Nash Mill. It's a red fruited Pinot that's both pretty and savory at the same time. Can't ask for anything more than that imo.

Pratt Vineyard
Located between Occidental, Sebastopol and Freestone, and is a stone's throw from Falstaff vineyard. The Pinot clones/selections I get here include Pommard, 23, 9 and 2a. Most of the vines I get fruit from are on their own roots (rather than being grafted to a rootstock), possibly removing an element that disguises the terroir. Owned and farmed by Jim Pratt, vineyard manager to many famous vineyards! This is the backbone of my Cuvee Abigail Pinot!

Thanks for your interest!
Last edited by Eric Lundblad on February 8th, 2020, 4:04 am, edited 21 times in total.
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: Ladd Cellars!

#2 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 26th, 2020, 9:23 am

Oops, forgot to put Eric's in the Early Purchase Offers forum!!! All fixed!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by brigcampbell » January 26th, 2020, 10:04 am

I've purchased as much of Ladd's pinot noir as anyone on the planet.

The chardonnay is awesome, across the board.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Sean_S » January 26th, 2020, 10:25 am

Order in for Chard, Pinot and a Sierra Wines.... Thanks Eric
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#5 Post by Eric Lundblad » January 26th, 2020, 10:35 am

Hey, Thanks for the orders!

I'm working through the order processing, but I'm a little behind...so will be a bit longer than expected. Everyone's orders is in a confirmed tho. Woo Hoo
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Ladd Cellars...Chardonnay, Pinot, Cab Franc & Tempranillo!

#6 Post by Eric Lundblad » January 26th, 2020, 3:17 pm

I'm all caught up...but I'm heading out for a few hours. Keep em coming...I'll handle the orders when I get back this evening. Thanks!
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by brigcampbell » January 26th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Hope you're doing well and maybe we'll get a chance to taste through the falltacular lineup together again this year. Always educational for me.

In for two of Chardonnay 3 Packs.

Thanks.

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by PaulMills » January 26th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Chardonnay order is in.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » January 26th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Order in!
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

M. Balk

#10 Post by M. Balk » January 27th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Order in. These wines are a steal.
M. = Matt

Chris Tuttle
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Chris Tuttle » January 27th, 2020, 12:41 pm

Eric's chards are standouts! I'm trying the CF and the Temp too.

Larry Stein

#12 Post by Larry Stein » January 27th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Order in for Pinot, Chard, and Sierra Foothills!

David Rudd
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by David Rudd » January 27th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Got three packs of mixed chard and mixed pinot. Really interested to to try them.

larryrowe
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#14 Post by larryrowe » January 27th, 2020, 1:29 pm

I tasted the Cab Franc when it was aging in a barrel — really interesting wine. I have already put in my order. BD is always challenging, working to sell our wine but find really exciting offers from other wineries. Now, where is my CC?
Greyscale Wines
"Wine is neither black nor white, it's always shades of grey"

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#15 Post by Eric Lundblad » January 27th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Thanks for all the orders...I'm up to date on everything! If you've put in an order and haven't heard from me, PM me (or email me...eric (at) laddcellars (dot) com).

Another issue....arg, can't live without technology, can't live with it: It appears the State drop down (for the billing address) doesn't work on Firefox in the smallest formats (smart phone in vertical mode). The odd thing is the identical State drop down (for the optional shipping addr) works fine in all modes. Sheesh.

If you're having this problem...try it in horizontal/wider mode, it might work, but at this point I'm not holding my breath for anything, lol. if this still is an issue for you, email me (above) with your order info and I'll fix you up.
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Chris Seiber » January 27th, 2020, 4:23 pm

I emailed in my order.

On a BD when I'm only buying a couple of things due to space limitations, Ladd is the first among them. Great people, great wines, amazing value.

In particular, if you have a taste for mineral driven, energetic, Chablis-styled Chardonnay with real cut, you're not going to find a better place to look.

AndrewH

#17 Post by AndrewH » January 27th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Late order . . . but in again. Looking forward to the chardonnays as well (and the Pinots too)
Andrew H e i m e r t

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 27th, 2020, 10:49 pm

Went for some Chard. First time Ladd taster here. Excited to try! Thanks for the deal, Eric. [cheers.gif]
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

GregP

#19 Post by GregP » January 27th, 2020, 11:01 pm

As other have pointed out, very unique and very great Chards! That said, been drinking and tasting Eric's wines, well, since the beginning, and find his reds all well made as well. Both recently released Cab Franc and Tempranillo showed well out of the gate, but as all of Eric's wines they also provide a good aging curve, so no rush. If you like balanced wines, these are must buys, IMO.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Ladd Cellars...Chardonnay, Pinot, Cab Franc & Tempranillo...Offer Extended!

#20 Post by Eric Lundblad » January 28th, 2020, 8:55 am

Thanks for all the orders and comments!

I'm extending the offer...so jump in if you're interested.
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Ladd Cellars Chardonnay, Pinot, Cab Franc & Tempranillo!

#21 Post by Eric Lundblad » January 29th, 2020, 3:06 pm

I just noticed...if you order the appropriate item, in CA, the sales tax is $6.66...am I going to hell, or is the purchaser?
Last edited by Eric Lundblad on February 1st, 2020, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#22 Post by Eric Lundblad » January 31st, 2020, 4:19 pm

All done...thanks to everyone that ordered and/or made comments! Woo Hoo!
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#23 Post by Eric Lundblad » February 1st, 2020, 9:50 pm

brigcampbell wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 3:29 pm
Hope you're doing well and maybe we'll get a chance to taste through the falltacular lineup together again this year. Always educational for me.

In for two of Chardonnay 3 Packs.

Thanks.
Hey, I'm finally relaxing a bit and caught the part of your post I missed before...I'd *love* to follow you around and taste with you at Falltacular! I always learn good stuff when I taste with/near you! And I just confirmed with my Sis that I'll be able to stay with them (San Diego) when I'm down there...always a good thing. Good times...woo hoo!
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Douglas Breen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Douglas Breen » March 27th, 2020, 9:14 am

Does anyone have Ladd’s phone number. I’ve sent two emails this week with no reply. He said he would try to ship my wine in early March, but nothing yet. PM would be great. Thank you.

Larry Stein

#25 Post by Larry Stein » March 27th, 2020, 9:27 am

Doug, don't sweat it. Are you that desperate that you need the wine now? Given current events, he may have bigger fish to fry. I've known Eric personally for many years. He's a stand-up guy. Hell, my Berserkers order from 2019 got lost in the shuffle. I think I finally got it sometime in November. No big deal.

Douglas Breen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Douglas Breen » March 27th, 2020, 10:09 am

And, since he told me he’d ship it in early a March, I was concerned it may have already been shipped. Ive had a few boxes delivered to other houses due to my twisting neighborhood roads confusing street signs. In the email, I told him there was no hurry. I do have wine!

Larry Stein

#27 Post by Larry Stein » March 27th, 2020, 10:13 am

Ah, now I understand, thinking it might have been shipped and not gotten to you.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » March 27th, 2020, 11:09 am

Douglas Breen wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 10:09 am
And, since he told me he’d ship it in early a March, I was concerned it may have already been shipped. Ive had a few boxes delivered to other houses due to my twisting neighborhood roads confusing street signs. In the email, I told him there was no hurry. I do have wine!
FYI, in a post on Facebook he mentioned that his email is all screwed up right now.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Douglas Breen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Douglas Breen » March 27th, 2020, 11:41 am

Thanks!

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by brigcampbell » March 27th, 2020, 1:11 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 11:09 am
Douglas Breen wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 10:09 am
FYI, in a post on Facebook he mentioned that his email is all screwed up right now.
Okay, you know he works in IT, right? [wow.gif]

GregP

#31 Post by GregP » March 27th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Douglas Breen wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 9:14 am
Does anyone have Ladd’s phone number. I’ve sent two emails this week with no reply. He said he would try to ship my wine in early March, but nothing yet. PM would be great. Thank you.
I know he stores off-site, as most of us, small wineries, do. Our facility has closed as well, per Sonoma County orders, so far no word yet from ours, as an example. And I am sure he's in the same boat we are, many others as well. Storage facilities will all re-evaluate come April 6th, last I heard, we're all hopeful we can have access to our wine at that point.

Haven't talked with Eric for a bit, but sure that would be his response. Hope this helps.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#32 Post by Eric Lundblad » March 28th, 2020, 10:55 pm

Hey, I just saw this. Sorry about all this. My shipping drop off contact (dropping off alc for shipping is complicated, I have someone I work with for this) has been out for a bit (for topical reasons, they're fine and should be back in action, tho limited, next week-ish). I sent you email about this and rescheduling, and sounds like you didn't get it due to my email config problems, ouch. I'll send you email on Monday (when I hear from my drop off folks) and we can figure out timing. Thanks!
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Return to “BerserkerDay 11 Forum - (Jan 27, 2020) 'The Black Friday of Wine Commerce' - Forbes”