BD SPONSOR FEATURE Goodfellow Family Cellars

Welcome to Berserker Day 10! Thank you to all the Berzerkers who have come to visit, and to support the wines over the years.
honeybeetakeoffcopy.jpg
For those who aren’t familiar, Goodfellow Family Cellars produces about 4000 cases annually. The winery “staff” is myself (Marcus Goodfellow), my associate winemaker Megan Joy, and my friend Geoffrey Beckeart who pitches in at harvest and bottling. We work with four vineyards in the Willamette Valley: Whistling Ridge, Durant, Fir Crest, and, beginning in 2017, Temperance Hill. All are older, dry-farmed plantings with Durant established in 1973, Temperance Hill in 1981, Whistling Ridge in 1990, and Fir Crest in 1985. All follow the lutte raisonee idea of conscientious farming, with Temperance Hill being certified organic. We harvest fruit as it first reaches maturity, looking to bring in fruit with lower sugars, mature acidity, and just physiologically ripe. Ferments are by native yeast, and use significant amounts of whole cluster. Barrel aging is typically 20 months, mostly in 500L puncheon(new wood varies by vintage as some wines want more and some less).

For those of you who have not tasted the wines, they typically fall on the structured side, with pure but restrained fruit.
I like to say that we make wine for Negroni drinkers.
tongueoutcopy.jpg
PatriciaMarcus2copy.jpg
eveningpunchdownscopy.jpg
I have a lot of fun coming up with different packages for Berserker Day offerings every year. As BD 10 has drawn nearer this year’s theme became a regular discussion at the winery. For a group with the experience, knowledge, and enthusiasm of Berserkers, our BD 10 wines need to offer layers, personality, and a deeper story to sink one’s teeth into. In the end, we simply couldn’t walk past the sheer quality, deliciousness, and clarity of terroir in the 2016 vintage. This is what I would call a “classic” vintage, perfectly delineated, a la 2010. The wines will give the opportunity for lengthy cellaring, but not require an inhuman amount of patience to get to the first drinking windows. (Pobega-ing them will be mostly a good time, but have a decanter and some short ribs ready to go).

But more about that later…Happy Berserker Day to everyone! champagne.gif

Marcus_Megan.jpg

I LOVE the photos - without the chance to meet in person, it’s best to put a face (or faces) to a name! Great writeup! I’m going to post it on our Facebook page now!

Marcus, weren’t you previously with Matello wines?

Thanks a ton, Megan has a great eye for photography (and as you can tell from the bee taking off…a bit of luck too.)

I started Matello in 2002, but began transitioning to Goodfellow with the 2012 vintage.

Thanks for setting this all up!

Marcus makes what I’d consider the best lineup of wines in the WV. His Pinots and Chards are top notch and have brought well earned acclaim, but don’t sleep on his Syrah, Whistling Ridge Blanc (aka “crack” per Mr Hamina), or Pinot Gris, all of which are insane values. Not to mention Marcus is a great guy and host for those with an opportunity to visit McMinnville.

Tell me more about this ‘Whistling Ridge Blanc’…

Marcus’ take on an Alsatian field blend. Typically includes Riesling, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris and Gewurz. Delicious young and ages very well.

PM me a shipping address and we’ll let it speak for itself.

When I was first working with Dick and Patricia at Whistling Ridge I was walking with Patricia after the harvest and saw a couple of rows with fruit still. I asked her about it and she told me it was Riesling, Pinot Blanc, and Gewurztraminer that she was experimenting with. I asked why it wasn’t picked, and she said it was too little to interest anyone.
That was December of 2004, and I was absolutely smitten by Jean-Michel Deiss and his Schoenenberg bottling of…wait for it…Riesling, Pinot Blanc, and Gewurztraminer. One thing led to another and if I fill in all the blanks this post will be a mile long.

Besides, Alsatian wines are dead anyway [wink.gif]

Elevage is about 60% in neutral 820L Acacia “foudre” and 40% old french barriques(barrels from around 2005).

Hi Marcus,

In for a case of crack if available - still have 6 bottles of the 14 and I am trying to keep my hands off but oh so good yet primary! Way overdue for a vvisit and order but your basic WV has been a house pour over the last 3 vintages. I found your library pack from a couple years ago and after viewing the latest OR vintage thread will still try to let them rest. My brother-in-law opened a 13 Bishop Creek and I must say WOW! Look forward to ur offers and I must say thanks for your insights and candor on this forum.

Bill

Scott, that’s really a tremendous compliment. There are so many great people in the valley, and so many great wines. It means a lot to me, and says so much about the vineyards.

I have a couple of things for when you’re off of your hiatus(and also a wee bit of Cab Franc for you to try from a few rogue plants at Whistling Ridge.)

I think the first Matello I bought was that white blend from Alberty @ Story Teller, then Chas. gave me a bottle of the Fool’s Journey saying it was the best syrah from Oregon. I have Whistling Ridge from '11 & '13, but I hear they take a little more time, so I just guzzle the other ones. These are some of my favorite wines.

Hello Marcus, You and Meghan were gracious to fit us in for a visit during last fall’s early harvest activity. Jacqueline and I enjoyed the wines and the visit. I seem to recall some recent mention here of a possible collaborative BD offering of Riesling based wine involving your “Blanc” and a few other winemakers offerings. Wishful thinking? Best, -Jim

Well, at the risk of giving Marcus a swelled head … his wines are truly among the highlights of the Willamette Valley and remarkably priced. His talents extend beyond Pinot Noir which is a Fickle enough mistress. I find his wines to be more old world yet true to place than most old world producers trying their hand in Oregon. Do not miss them!

RT

One of the wineries I have never tried that is on my short list for a BD purchase this year.

That’s really my favorite thing about BD - opportunity to explore things I have not tried.

Another “vote” for Goodfellow wines.

I was first introduced to these wines on BerserkerDay and since then have been able to purchase every year and also at retail (a local wine store carries a number of Marcus’ wines; I was also able to meet Marcus at an event). These are ageworthy wines made in a lighter, terroir driven style.

Goodfellow wines very much speak of Oregon, and I mean that in the very best of ways.

I can highly recommend his ‘16 Chards (both Durant & Richard’s Cuvee). Marcus’ higher-end chardonnay can be a little reductive, but at least IMO, his '16 vintage dials that back a bit, and the wines are as delicious as any vintage I can recall in terms of “Pobega-style” drinking in their youth.

I’ve only tried their chards…they’re superlative.

Our Colorado distributor has been doing a great job for us, and now I can see why!

Bill, I’ll follow up with you on Sunday!

I appreciate all of the kind words everybody. This board has been a great community and the support of WBers has really been integral to my being able to have success.

btw Rich, my mom said she was never worried about my head getting big because any substance that hard couldn’t change shape…

Goodfellow was the standout from our visit the the WV this past summer. We ordered a case and cannot keep our hands off of them.