Flannery Beef!

Warm up your credit cards and come on in, as here is where you will find all the BerserkerDay offers - open to EVERYONE who loves wine. Apologize to your spouse or significant other ahead of time. #BD10
bryan flannery
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

BDSponsor Flannery Beef!

#1 Post by bryan flannery » January 24th, 2019, 11:45 am

We’re back again for our 5th BerserkerDay, though we’ve been dealing with Berserkers for much longer than that.

What with all these anniversaries, we can let ourselves wax poetic a little bit about how much we owe our success to the wine world. Even though it’s self-evident that good wine and good food go hand in hand, our gratitude to the wine community runs deep. The first iteration of Flannery Beef was Bryan’s Fine Foods, a high-end deli/meat counter just north of San Francisco. I opened this up after departing from my father’s store; originally a butcher shop, now a high-end grocery store, currently being run by my two brothers in San Francisco. The gem of Bryan’s Fine Foods was the meat counter; part of what led to me going off on my own was a desire to dig deeper into sourcing the highest quality available and returning to the old practice of dry aging like my father did in the 70s.

The dry aging part was no problem; the sourcing took me longer – after bringing in product from countless ranches and companies, I finally found the holy grail sometime in 2005. A case of ribs came in from Brandt Beef, located down in Brawley CA, and I remember the first two looking good, but the other two were ‘holy shit’. The next day I was on a plane to meet with Eric Brandt and upon learning that this particular beef was a very nontraditional breed to use for beef production, my obsession with Holstein was born. A superior marbling pattern, and a smaller size than your more traditional breeds like Angus or Hereford, combined with the dry aging process, is what made our product stand out so spectacularly.

Our launch into the e-commerce scene was precipitated by members of the eRobertParker forum; a post from Robert Parker back in 2007 that directed people to our website was an entirely new chapter. Over the next few years, our shipping business grow steadily. My daughter Katie entered the scene about this time, bailing out of college to take over the task of rebuilding our website. In 2011 we made the decision to close the brick and mortar store and go entirely online with our business, and the rest is history. What started as a 150sqft aging room in Bryan’s Fine Foods has morphed into a 9000sqft USDA Facility with 2500sqft of aging space. And we have you guys, winoes and foodies who recognize quality and support it, to thank for our success. So with a truly heartfelt thank you for all your support over the years, onto the deals!

With wine in mind, to help celebrate Berserker Day X, we’ve put together a Beef Vertical of different aging levels, and the Beef flight of two different breeds. In addition to our usual doorbuster sale on NYs 😊

Offer #1: 35% off California Reserve New York Steaks https://bit.ly/2Btgesg
  • A tried and true classic, aged our standard 30-35 days.

Offer #2: California Reserve New York “Vertical” https://bit.ly/2CLrB1g
Taking the concept of a wine vertical and applying it to beef, these sets will give you a chance to experience how different levels of dry aging present in a New York steak.
  • “The Younger Crowd”: a total of 10@12oz New York Steaks; 2 each at the following age levels: 21 Days, 28 Days, 35 Days, 42 Days, 49 Days. $255 for set. This set of steaks will ship on Tues, February 26th.
  • “The Older Years”: a total of 10@12oz New York Steaks; 2 each at the following age levels: 56 Days, 63 Days, 70 Days, 77 Days, 84 Days. $275 for set. This set of steaks will ship on Tues, March 26th.
  • “Midlife Crisis”: a total of 20@ 12oz New York steaks, 2 each at the following age levels: 21 Days, 28 Days, 35 Days, 42 Days, 49 Days, 56 Days, 63 Days, 70 Days, 77 Days, 84 Days. $495 for set. This set of steaks will ship on Tues, March 26th.

Offer #3: California Reserve vs American Wagyu New York “Flight” https://bit.ly/2Hwybyr
Switching from a vertical to a horizontal, this set give you the opportunity to sample two different breeds side by side. The aging levels will be different; but that’s because my personal opinion is that Wagyu shouldn’t be aged too far beyond 3 weeks. The fat in Wagyu is so distinct that I’ve found longer aging levels end up competing, flavor-wise. I like to keep Wagyu aged right about 18-20 days, whereas the California Reserve will be 30-35days aged.
  • A total of 4 steaks, 2@12oz California Reserve, 2@12oz American Wagyu. $145 for set.

How To Order
Each of the items listed above are also links that will take you to that product's page on our website. Simply fill up your shopping cart with whatever quantities of the steaks and when you're ready to check out, head to the Shopping Cart page and enter the code "BDX" in the Coupon Code box, and click "Apply Coupon". We still haven't updated our site, so bear with us as this part can be a bit confusing. There are two areas to enter codes, one is for Coupon Codes, the second is for Gift Card Codes. Make sure you enter the code " BDX" in the Coupon Code section. We've built a discount into both the Flight and the Vertical sets; so you only need to make sure to enter the coupon code if you're buying the CA New Yorks.

Ship Dates
Prior Berserker Day offers we were able to start cutting and shipping immediately, but this year we have a scheduling conflict in the upcoming week and need to push all Berserker Day order to ship beginning the week of February 4th. If you need your order shipped out asap, don't hesitate to give us a call and we'll do everything we can, but please note that all orders placed through the Berserker Day Sale (that don't specifically request a ship date further out than Feb 4th), will be shipped during the week of February 4th. As always, don't hesitate to ask us any shipping questions you might have!!
Last edited by bryan flannery on January 26th, 2019, 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Karl_O'Donoghue
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Flannery Beef!

#2 Post by Karl_O'Donoghue » January 26th, 2019, 10:48 am

Ordered once again. Thanks !!!

TKMcWilliamsII
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by TKMcWilliamsII » January 26th, 2019, 10:58 am

Ordered a "Younger Crowd" and threw in a Hangar Steak for good measure. Looking forward to trying these, and putting them up against my friend's go-to, Pat Lafreida!
Tim

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Anton D » January 26th, 2019, 11:04 am

In for my Midlife Crisis!

Flannery drew first blood for my BDX!!!

In case anybody is not familiar with Flannery - perfect meat and very nice people.
Anton Dotson

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by NickRut » January 26th, 2019, 11:07 am

Damn can’t decide what to get...
Rutkowski

Patrick Lundgren
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Patrick Lundgren » January 26th, 2019, 11:09 am

I wonder if there will be anything ribeye tomorrow. I don’t see anything in the preview section.

rjquillin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by rjquillin » January 26th, 2019, 11:13 am

Question - are the Older Crowd and Younger Crowd flights 10 steaks or 12? 5 ages, 2 steaks each is 10, but it also says 12 steaks @ 12 oz.
~Ron Q~

bryan flannery
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#8 Post by bryan flannery » January 26th, 2019, 11:19 am

rjquillin wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 11:13 am
Question - are the Older Crowd and Younger Crowd flights 10 steaks or 12? 5 ages, 2 steaks each is 10, but it also says 12 steaks @ 12 oz.
As much as I want to blame bad math on Dad, this was totally my fault! Sorry Ron, good catch - each of those sets have 10 steaks total! -K

rjquillin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by rjquillin » January 26th, 2019, 12:05 pm

bryan flannery wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 11:19 am
rjquillin wrote:
As much as I want to blame bad math on Dad, this was totally my fault! Sorry Ron, good catch - each of those sets have 10 steaks total! -K
No problem!
Another one...the website has the Older pack at a higher price?
~Ron Q~

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#10 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » January 26th, 2019, 12:47 pm

In for a Younger Set. Damn, cannot wait.
Vincent - ITB

kevanmah
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by kevanmah » January 26th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Grabbed the horizontal flight. Looking forward to the side-by-side!
Anything other than NY's coming tomorrow? Always love your filet, rib eye, and pave's

bryan flannery
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#12 Post by bryan flannery » January 26th, 2019, 1:45 pm

rjquillin wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 12:05 pm
bryan flannery wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 11:19 am
rjquillin wrote:
No problem!
Another one...the website has the Older pack at a higher price?
Ah!! Ron, pls remind me to have you fact check our next Berserker Day post! Lol. Fixed in this post, and I owe you a 'finders fee' for helping me out here!! -K

bryan flannery
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#13 Post by bryan flannery » January 26th, 2019, 1:50 pm

kevanmah wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 1:16 pm
Grabbed the horizontal flight. Looking forward to the side-by-side!
Anything other than NY's coming tomorrow? Always love your filet, rib eye, and pave's
We just have the NYs lined up for this sale; we're going to be doing a sale on Filets for Valentine's Day though :) I'll probable throw the paves in that sale as well; I love pairing those two steaks. Similar size/incredibly different flavors -K
Last edited by bryan flannery on January 26th, 2019, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#14 Post by c fu » January 26th, 2019, 1:55 pm

3 20oz ny strips. 4 wagyu/ny combos. Yum!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

vincentz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by vincentz » January 26th, 2019, 2:54 pm

In again - NY strip combo.
V. Z e r i n g u e

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Scott Brunson » January 26th, 2019, 3:05 pm

How "funky" is the older?
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Justin Humphreys
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Justin Humphreys » January 26th, 2019, 3:07 pm

In for the "Older Years"! Love some dry aged Flannery!
Drink up!

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Alan Rath » January 26th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Bryan, is there a correspondence between weight and thickness (for the 12 and 16 NY)?
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Diane Kessler » January 26th, 2019, 3:45 pm

I just ordered the NY Strip/Wagyu combo to go to my son in Sebastapol in time for my visit there in a couple of weeks. My freezer is packed with Flannery so I doubt I will be ordering anything for home.

J. Galang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by J. Galang » January 26th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Might be a stupid question, but how do you get 35% off the NY Steak? Still shows $42 per 12oz piece even if I click the link.

Nevermind, found the code, my aging eyes....
Last edited by J. Galang on January 26th, 2019, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joel Galang

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#21 Post by c fu » January 26th, 2019, 4:04 pm

J. Galang wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 4:02 pm
Might be a stupid question, but how do you get 35% off the NY Steak? Still shows $42 per 12oz piece even if I click the link.
There’s a code. Gotta read the whole way through the post
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Chuck Miller » January 26th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Just ordered a midlife crisis and 4 packages of Hangar steaks in addition. Yum!
Chuck Miller
Seattle Wine Storage

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Scott Brunson » January 26th, 2019, 4:28 pm

in for the older
On CT, I'm S1

bryan flannery
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#24 Post by bryan flannery » January 26th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Scott Brunson wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 3:05 pm
Scott, the highest two ages will be approaching game, but not quite there, with a 'blue cheese' aspect. The The age won't be overpowering, but it will be noticeable. The taste differences between a 7 day age period (ie between the 56day and the 63day) will be very subtle; the differences really pop at the 2 week marks. -Bryan

bryan flannery
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#25 Post by bryan flannery » January 26th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 3:40 pm
Bryan, is there a correspondence between weight and thickness (for the 12 and 16 NY)?
Alan, there will be about a quarter inch difference (12s will be 1.25", the 16s 1.5"). This aspect in particular is one of the reasons I fell in love with the Holstein breed; to get an inch plus thickness on a 12oz steak is pretty unusual. -Bryan

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Scott Brunson » January 27th, 2019, 8:09 am

bryan flannery wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 8:09 pm
Scott Brunson wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 3:05 pm
Scott, the highest two ages will be approaching game, but not quite there, with a 'blue cheese' aspect. The The age won't be overpowering, but it will be noticeable. The taste differences between a 7 day age period (ie between the 56day and the 63day) will be very subtle; the differences really pop at the 2 week marks. -Bryan
That's what I bought yesterday. I did choose a ship date which is one week later (out of town end of March).
On CT, I'm S1

Charles Hetzel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Charles Hetzel » January 27th, 2019, 8:11 am

Ordering away here love Flannery
Charles Hetzel
Proprietor/Chief Curator @ Braxton Cellars
Chicago, IL

C Chen

#28 Post by C Chen » January 27th, 2019, 8:25 am

In for the NY/Wagyu horizontal!
curt1S ch3N

R. Gleiberm@n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by R. Gleiberm@n » January 27th, 2019, 8:50 am

Bryan, is there any way to add ground beef to a BD order?
R odney

"You guys playin' cards?"

bryan flannery
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#30 Post by bryan flannery » January 27th, 2019, 8:55 am

C Chen wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 8:25 am
Good Call :) This set is my favorite of the two (Dad think the age set is cooler, ha). Both sets are solid insights into the two main things that set us apart - breed and age. The CA Reserve Holstein beef is a serious contender against American Wagyu (not Kobe though; that's a whole other ball game). Much of the Wagyu in the US has been crossbred with Angus; one of the marbling traits you'll see in Angus beef is larger, thicker veins of marbling running through the meat. This marbling style translates through in the American Wagyu; it's abundant and heavy.
Holstein marbling is much different; smaller veins of fat, and more often it looks more 'speckled' with fat, than having visually distinct lines (like the wagyu). Dad always tells people 'think of the milky way'. What this means in terms of taste/palatability, is that you'll get a phenomenal flavor and tenderness, without it being too rich/overpowering. I can eat a 16oz CA NY in one sitting; I tap out at 8-10oz tops on the Wagyu.
-Katie

bryan flannery
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#31 Post by bryan flannery » January 27th, 2019, 9:03 am

R. Gleiberm@n wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 8:50 am
Bryan, is there any way to add ground beef to a BD order?
Totally - our burger blends are currently in the Helluva Deal section (http://www.flannerybeef.com/butcher/helluva-deal.html).

We had to discontinue the burger builder last year, absolute bummer, but USDA upped regulations on testing and it absolutely killed the program. Long/short of it is that we would have been required to test every. single. batch. for ecoli, hold the beef on site until test results were back, then ship it out. Makes sense if you're grinding a million pounds at a time, impossible for someone like us doing 4lbs batches.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Alan Rath » January 27th, 2019, 9:26 am

Thanks Katie and Bryan, in for some NY. Man I miss being able to just stop into the shop on the way back from Santa Rosa and pick from so much high quality meats and fish. Used to get my turkey stock for thanksgiving every year as well. Thanks again for participating here.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Barry L i p t o n

#33 Post by Barry L i p t o n » January 27th, 2019, 9:52 am

Locked in some 2019 Xmas gift shopping with the Cal Reserve/Wagyu combo! Thanks for accepting ship dates in December on that package!

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Ethan Abraham » January 27th, 2019, 9:57 am

Excited to finally try some flannery after hearing about it for years...in for the younger set and some burgers.

AndyK

#35 Post by AndyK » January 27th, 2019, 10:16 am

Does anyone know if the beef is hormone free / organic / grass fed?
k0berl

Steve Saxon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Steve Saxon » January 27th, 2019, 10:20 am

I'm in for the younger crowd, I love Bryan's steaks.
Saxon and others have willfully trashed this thread and turned it into nonsense without substance.....Mark Squires

jordan whitehead

#37 Post by jordan whitehead » January 27th, 2019, 10:30 am

AndyK wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 10:16 am
wouldnt taste this good if it was grass fed
www.annaswish.org

AndyK

#38 Post by AndyK » January 27th, 2019, 10:34 am

Thanks, I get that...

But what about hormones / antibiotics / etc?
k0berl

Steve Williams

#39 Post by Steve Williams » January 27th, 2019, 10:38 am

Thanks Katie and Bryan! Ordered the Midlife Crisis, and I am very much looking forward to these.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#40 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 27th, 2019, 10:39 am

jordan whitehead wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 10:30 am
AndyK wrote:
This.

They basically taste like beef donuts.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

C Chen

#41 Post by C Chen » January 27th, 2019, 10:46 am

bryan flannery wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 8:55 am
C Chen wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 8:25 am
Good Call :) This set is my favorite of the two (Dad think the age set is cooler, ha). Both sets are solid insights into the two main things that set us apart - breed and age. The CA Reserve Holstein beef is a serious contender against American Wagyu (not Kobe though; that's a whole other ball game). Much of the Wagyu in the US has been crossbred with Angus; one of the marbling traits you'll see in Angus beef is larger, thicker veins of marbling running through the meat. This marbling style translates through in the American Wagyu; it's abundant and heavy.
Holstein marbling is much different; smaller veins of fat, and more often it looks more 'speckled' with fat, than having visually distinct lines (like the wagyu). Dad always tells people 'think of the milky way'. What this means in terms of taste/palatability, is that you'll get a phenomenal flavor and tenderness, without it being too rich/overpowering. I can eat a 16oz CA NY in one sitting; I tap out at 8-10oz tops on the Wagyu.
-Katie
Love the insight, Katie! Glad to know this set is also your favorite! Can't wait to try these out!
curt1S ch3N

Frank Z

#42 Post by Frank Z » January 27th, 2019, 10:48 am

Had Flannery at PRESS multiple times, but super excited to get it going at home! I’m for 5 NY steaks, with a second order planned for Filets during their Valentine’s sale :)
Frank Zhang

Rajesh P a r i k h

#43 Post by Rajesh P a r i k h » January 27th, 2019, 10:58 am

In for "The Older Years"!

I'm pretty excited for my first Flannery order. Might just have to order some strips for consumption sooner.

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by cjsavino » January 27th, 2019, 11:05 am

Frank Z wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 10:48 am
Had Flannery at PRESS multiple times, but super excited to get it going at home! I’m for 5 NY steaks, with a second order planned for Filets during their Valentine’s sale :)
Good choices. And you know what looks like a heart, a porterhouse steak, would be a great addition to that sale, hint hint.
Chris

bryan flannery
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#45 Post by bryan flannery » January 27th, 2019, 11:43 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 10:39 am
jordan whitehead wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 10:30 am
AndyK wrote:
This.

They basically taste like beef donuts.
Bullseye on the grass fed. Cattle need carbohydrates to develop intramuscular fat (marbling); you don't get that on grass. Not that it's totally impossible to find a well marbled grass fed steak, it's just few and far between. We were doing a favor for one of our SF restaurant accounts a few years ago, and dry aging grass fed ribeyes they were purchasing from a local farm north of us. So we saw a good amount of grass fed ribeyes come through our facility. A few of the pieces were gorgeous, but the spread between the 'love at first sight' and the 'eh' was really wide. Our goal is to be able to stand 100% behind every single steak we send out our door, and we can't do that with a grass fed product. We tend to call our product 'grass fed / grain finished', because technically all cattle will start out on grass, then it's the decision of the rancher if they want to produce a fully grass fed animal, or bring in supplemental feed, usually whatever is abundant and cheap for the area. Sidebar: Dad tells stories about when CA produced phenomenal beef, because one of the main agricultural staples in the state was sugar beet. The cattle farmers used sugar beet pulp as their supplemental feed, and the introduction of what was basically pure carbs into the animals diets produced incredibly high quality results. But then the grapes took over :P

On the organic topic - no, we don't deal with anything that's labeled organic. It's really more of a label that you end up paying a higher price for, more than an indication of quality. It's also an expensive proposition to the ranchers; we were working with a Wagyu producer out of Montana, she has 100,000 acres that she raises 900 head on. She looked into going organic, and to do so was told she'd have to replace all her fenceposts because the ends in the ground were treated with creosote when put in (circa 1920). Was simply not a feasible option for her to do, and out of all the people we've worked with in the industry, she was one of the absolute superstars in terms of treating her animals right.

Lastly, easy answer, yep, hormone free. (antibiotic free, no, but that's a whole other paragraph... I'll see if Dad wants to delve into that tomorrow, ha)

-Katie

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Scott Brunson » January 27th, 2019, 11:45 am

Frank Z wrote:
Advice
Buy the Wagyu Paves during Valentine's sale
You will not be sorry.
On CT, I'm S1

bryan flannery
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#47 Post by bryan flannery » January 27th, 2019, 12:07 pm

cjsavino wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 11:05 am
Frank Z wrote:
Good choices. And you know what looks like a heart, a porterhouse steak, would be a great addition to that sale, hint hint.
Oh man, believe me, I get it!! We pretty much never do sales on Porterhouse, and it's directly a result of using the Holstein Breed. The porterhouse comes from the Shortloin, which is the combination of the Filet and the New York. The smaller size of the primals on Holstein, which is awesome if you're comparing a Holstein New York to an Angus New York (at the same weight, the Holstein steak will be at least .25-.5 inch thicker), is a negative when dealing with the Porterhouse. On an Angus, you'll get about 4-5 Porterhouse steak before you start cutting T-Bones. On the Holstein, we're lucky if we get 3. The culprit is the filet - it tapers much more quickly on the Holstein; you have a much higher bone to meat ratio on the Holstein Shortloin than other breeds. The shortloins weight on average, about 20lbs, so let's say we get our usual 2@32oz porters, we still have 16lbs of that Shortloin to move, as either T-Bones or Bone-in New Yorks. Neither of those two cuts are nearly as popular as the Porterhouse, so if we had a rush on porters, we would end up with a ton of product that we would struggle to move.

That's why I've always held off on a Porterhouse sale... but if we all promise not to tell the rest of the internet, I could probably figure out how to do a 'Berserker Only' sale on Porterhouse later this year.... I'll ask Todd if that's possible
-Katie champagne.gif

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Jeff Bloom » January 27th, 2019, 12:54 pm

bryan flannery wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 12:07 pm
but if we all promise not to tell the rest of the internet, I could probably figure out how to do a 'Berserker Only' sale on Porterhouse later this year.... I'll ask Todd if that's possible
-Katie champagne.gif
[dance-clap.gif] I'm ready to place my order the minute that happens!

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by AlexS » January 27th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Jeff Bloom wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 12:54 pm
bryan flannery wrote:
but if we all promise not to tell the rest of the internet, I could probably figure out how to do a 'Berserker Only' sale on Porterhouse later this year.... I'll ask Todd if that's possible
-Katie champagne.gif
[dance-clap.gif] I'm ready to place my order the minute that happens!
+1

Btw, Katie rocks.
s t e w @ r t

Frank Z

#50 Post by Frank Z » January 27th, 2019, 1:28 pm

bryan flannery wrote:
cjsavino wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 11:05 am
Frank Z wrote:
Oh man, believe me, I get it!! We pretty much never do sales on Porterhouse, and it's directly a result of using the Holstein Breed. The porterhouse comes from the Shortloin, which is the combination of the Filet and the New York. The smaller size of the primals on Holstein, which is awesome if you're comparing a Holstein New York to an Angus New York (at the same weight, the Holstein steak will be at least .25-.5 inch thicker), is a negative when dealing with the Porterhouse. On an Angus, you'll get about 4-5 Porterhouse steak before you start cutting T-Bones. On the Holstein, we're lucky if we get 3. The culprit is the filet - it tapers much more quickly on the Holstein; you have a much higher bone to meat ratio on the Holstein Shortloin than other breeds. The shortloins weight on average, about 20lbs, so let's say we get our usual 2@32oz porters, we still have 16lbs of that Shortloin to move, as either T-Bones or Bone-in New Yorks. Neither of those two cuts are nearly as popular as the Porterhouse, so if we had a rush on porters, we would end up with a ton of product that we would struggle to move.

That's why I've always held off on a Porterhouse sale... but if we all promise not to tell the rest of the internet, I could probably figure out how to do a 'Berserker Only' sale on Porterhouse later this year.... I'll ask Todd if that's possible
-Katie champagne.gif
Sounds amazing! Would definitely jump on board!
Frank Zhang

Return to “BerserkerDay 10 Forum (January 27, 2019) #BD10 "the Black Friday of wine commerce" - Forbes”