Introducing Claudine Wines w/Special Offer

Buy, sell, and trade goods with other forum members - private sales only.
Forum rules
If you have a negative or potentially harmful comment to make about another poster's pricing or offer, send a Private Message - do not reply here on the forum. Public comments about pricing or the offer being made will be deleted. Do NOT post links to your auctions where items are sold elsewhere or your post will be deleted. Repeated misuse will result in loss of access to this forum. DO NOT POST UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THE COMMERCE CORNER RULES THREAD BELOW!
andrewkao

Introducing Claudine Wines w/Special Offer

#1 Post by andrewkao » September 3rd, 2020, 7:09 pm

Hello Berserkers,

Wanted to formally introduce the business I'm part of, Claudine Wines. As a WB special, we're offering two deals:
  • 30% off if you want to go a la carte (but shipping isn't included) with Promo Code: [redacted]
  • Both deals expire 9/11/20
Now...what's Claudine?

I like to call Claudine a "micro-negociant" as we source small quantities of surplus wine from high end producers and offer them under the Claudine label at a considerable discount. This concept of "white-labeling" certainly isn't novel, but wanted to call out a few aspects that make us a bit different:
  • Very small projects - usually 1-3 barrels at a time. Why? First, we've found that at larger quantities, brokers often get involved, diminishing the value we can offer. Second, at these smaller quantities, there's a stronger likelihood that the wine wasn't intended to be bulk juice or "seconds." Rather, our wines are a true reflection of the vineyard and winemaker's intent - either shiners or surplus barrels that were intended for final bottling by the original producer.
  • Only premium wine - we typically go after wine in the $100-200 per bottle range, and then sell for $30-60. We're less interested in finding $50 wine and selling for $10. Why? There's a lot of players at that price tier, and it's hard to beat the likes of Kirkland Signature - we're OK with that. (All of us at Claudine have an unhealthy obsession with Costco).
  • Flexible purchasing options. We'd love for you to buy a case. Maybe 5. But we know that buying wine online, especially for the first time from a brand can feel risky. So feel free to mix and match your way to as many bottles as makes sense for you. Similarly, we don't believe in forcing a club membership or subscription as that model feels inflexible and also gives us unnecessary pressure to force a project just to have an offering
  • We love origin stories. While we can't reveal our exact sources, we do our best to share how we got the wine. On each product page, you'll learn why this wine was made available and we'll be as transparent as possible around where it's from. We always aim to give our customers more than a generic or click-baity catchline. And where we don't have an awesome origin story, we'll admit that too. Finally, Compare At prices can feel like marketing ickiness, so we always share why we arrived at that price.
Brian (the founder) and I will be monitoring this thread and happy to answer any questions. We've both been lurkers in this forum for a while now and appreciate the community so much. Hope to start engaging and continue learning from you all!
Last edited by andrewkao on September 24th, 2020, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claudine Wines
We source tiny quantities of surplus premium wine and offer them at a fraction of the original price.

Nicholas C

Re: Introducing Claudine Wines w/Special Offer

#2 Post by Nicholas C » September 4th, 2020, 7:21 am

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the offer. I will prob check it out to try the wines.

Seems similar to de Négoce but more expensive. Their $150-200 cabs go for $18 per bottle compared to your $58.

In each case we don’t know what the underlying wine is, Is there any other differences in your business model (note I do like that you can mix cases) or the quality of the wine? How should I justify paying 3x the price?
[ 0 0 p 3 r

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Nate Simon » September 4th, 2020, 7:42 am

Checked it out, and definitely interested, but see no option for shipping hold. This is a non-starter for NorCal right now.

Brian Retherford
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#4 Post by Brian Retherford » September 4th, 2020, 8:26 am

Nate, we always keep an eye on weather and for those packages that have a cross-country journey, we use temp controlled shipping. For NorCal right now, we would typically reach out to you post-purchase and make sure you are ready for shipment.

Brian Retherford
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#5 Post by Brian Retherford » September 4th, 2020, 8:44 am

@Nicholas C, thanks and it is a good question. I am similarly enticed by the de Negoce offers and wonder how they compare.

In full transparency, I think there are three things that drive our pricing

1) Small lots. When we are moving 3-5 barrels at a time, some of the fixed costs of production just can't be spread overs much larger lot. However, that allows us to be really particular about what we produce (we also don't get the lowest shipping costs due to volume). One positive, however, is usually our wine is bottled at the same time as the winery bottles theirs. The "last 100 cases" just gets our label to ensure we are getting the same exact wine

2) Futures vs. "on the shelf" product. We have to make a production decision before we know with certainty what we sell

3) Product mix, choice, and sustainability. We built our model around servicing a smaller number of customers and they've told us they want. We are also looking to build sustainable relationships with a smaller set of producers to make sure we get consistent access to top quality juice. We want to balance getting the "best deal" with making a deal that creates a lasting relationship

This probably doesn't cover everything, but each deal is reflective of the ec

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by MatthewT » September 4th, 2020, 8:58 am

I tried out Claudine and have had 2 of their bottles thus far and found them excellent. My experience with them was A+ from start to finish.
I'm a Turk

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by John O' » September 4th, 2020, 9:31 am

Giving it a whirl.
O Sullivan

Toby P

#8 Post by Toby P » September 4th, 2020, 3:15 pm

This is def a tempting offer at 30% off, prob gonna buy the 6 pack and maybe a couple others. Anyone done any sleuthing on sources??
P r a t t

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Nate Simon » September 4th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Took a chance on this venture. If their descriptors are anywhere close to accurate, seems like a reasonable buy.

andrewkao

#10 Post by andrewkao » September 4th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Nate Simon wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 3:41 pm
Took a chance on this venture. If their descriptors are anywhere close to accurate, seems like a reasonable buy.
Nate & others - really appreciate the leap of faith. Forgot to mention in the OP - if we fall short of expectation, just reach out and we are happy to either send another bottle or return your money.
Claudine Wines
We source tiny quantities of surplus premium wine and offer them at a fraction of the original price.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Nate Simon » September 4th, 2020, 5:14 pm

andrewkao wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 4:41 pm
Nate Simon wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 3:41 pm
Nate & others - really appreciate the leap of faith. Forgot to mention in the OP - if we fall short of expectation, just reach out and we are happy to either send another bottle or return your money.
Thanks very much! Excited to try the wines.

David Crow

#12 Post by David Crow » September 5th, 2020, 5:41 am

Andrew, just to clarify, are the wines you are offering all identical to the wines offered by the source wineries? I know there has been a lot of discussion about that issue on the de Negoce thread so wanted to see if you are always offering the exact same wine or if sometimes they differ (and if so, how they differ)? Thanks!

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by MatthewT » September 5th, 2020, 6:14 am

David Crow wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 5:41 am
Andrew, just to clarify, are the wines you are offering all identical to the wines offered by the source wineries? I know there has been a lot of discussion about that issue on the de Negoce thread so wanted to see if you are always offering the exact same wine or if sometimes they differ (and if so, how they differ)? Thanks!
He can answer but I found the FAQ really interesting:

https://www.claudinewines.com/pages/faq
Is it really the exact same wine?

Claudine sources barrels of wine that are ready for bottling. The wines are the exact same ones used by the winery - no “cellar scraps” here. We meticulously taste each before buying and take only the best ones.
I'm a Turk

Keith_B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Keith_B » September 5th, 2020, 6:15 am

Just placed an order; looking forward to the sampler pack!
Instagram: @keithbentley

tpetty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by tpetty » September 5th, 2020, 7:47 am

I'm trying the sampler pack too. Sounds interesting, thanks
T o d d *** P e t t y

andrewkao

#16 Post by andrewkao » September 5th, 2020, 8:37 am

[sorry i double replied and can't figure out how to delete...]
Last edited by andrewkao on September 5th, 2020, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claudine Wines

andrewkao

#17 Post by andrewkao » September 5th, 2020, 8:39 am

David Crow wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 5:41 am
Hi David,

Great question. We aren't buying wine intended for the bulk market - these are wines intended to be used by the winery for their own wines. Whether it's 100% the exact same bottled product depends on the specific wine in question, and I'm happy to be as transparent as possible given the strong curiosity I've sensed here on the forum [cheers.gif] (The product pages also should give a strong indication, but if not clear enough, feel free to just ask.)

In some cases, true bottled shiners or barreled product that are 100% identical. In some cases, these are barrels that were indeed made by the original winemaker, but he/she didn't use it for the original winery's final bottled product it into the winemaker's blend. In some cases, an "abandoned" project due to circumstances not related to the wine quality at all - for example we had an Atlas Peak Cab that came to us b/c the winery burned down in 2017 and the owners decided to leave the wine business - the wine was *meant* to be bottle by them, but instead they sold to us...so technically you wouldn't find the exact same wine on the market, but certainly not "cellar scraps." Similar circumstance led to our Sta. Rita Hills Pinot - project the winery decided to let go of b/c they wanted to focus on Sonoma (they weren't aligned with the winemaker, who had independently decided to try his hand at Sta Rita fruit.)

Hope that helps and if anyone has a specific question about a wine, I'd be happy to assist.

btw Matt - thank you for sharing that FAQ. I recognize now that I may expand a bit to capture more fully the paragraph above. Was trying to keep short but given this new, very curious audience, I want to make sure it doesn't come across disingenuous. B/c yes, the wine always is from barrels that the winery intends to bottle and we aren't going on the bulk market looking for misc. wines to put together. But will also acknowledge that it's not always 100% identical to a another bottled product you'd find. Feel like it's pretty clear from each product page, but the FAQ is likely too simplistic as is.
Last edited by andrewkao on September 5th, 2020, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claudine Wines

andrewkao

#18 Post by andrewkao » September 5th, 2020, 8:55 am

update: faq has been expanded.
Claudine Wines

David Crow

#19 Post by David Crow » September 5th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Thanks for that detailed explanation. The transparency is really appreciated. This sounds like a great project.

Rohit B

#20 Post by Rohit B » September 6th, 2020, 7:42 am

Are the wines shipped in styrofoam and ice packs? Interested but concerned about the warmer weather. Do you folks use FedEx for shipping?

andrewkao

#21 Post by andrewkao » September 6th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Rohit B wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 7:42 am
Are the wines shipped in styrofoam and ice packs? Interested but concerned about the warmer weather. Do you folks use FedEx for shipping?
Hi Rohit - yes, we take full precaution with warmer weather. We use temp controlled shipping on all of our orders in the summertime. And depending on the location, we'll use styrofoam and ice packs and individually wrap each bottle to prevent water damage to the label. UPS is the standard option but we can also use FedEx, no problem. Just reach out to us after you place an order and we'll be sure to notate it as such (we do this all the time). Finally, 2nd Day Air via FedEx is an option, but we'd have to charge you a supplement for that. Please reach out (andrew@claudinewines.com) and we'll be happy to find the best solution for you!
Claudine Wines

Hughes D.

#22 Post by Hughes D. » September 6th, 2020, 8:07 pm

Thanks MatthewT. Did you try the Coombsville Cab?
MatthewT wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 8:58 am
I tried out Claudine and have had 2 of their bottles thus far and found them excellent. My experience with them was A+ from start to finish.
Delavergne

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by JDavisRoby » September 6th, 2020, 9:03 pm

Hi Andrew, do you ship to Oklahoma?
Joshu@

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by MatthewT » September 7th, 2020, 12:58 pm

Hughes D. wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 8:07 pm
Thanks MatthewT. Did you try the Coombsville Cab?
MatthewT wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 8:58 am
I did try this and it's fantastic.
I'm a Turk

andrewkao

#25 Post by andrewkao » September 7th, 2020, 3:50 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 9:03 pm
Hi Andrew, do you ship to Oklahoma?
Very sorry, we currently don't. It’s one of the toughest states to ship into. We do ship to most neighboring states if there are other addresses that might work.
Claudine Wines

Rohit B

#26 Post by Rohit B » September 10th, 2020, 10:47 am

Placed an order for the 6 pack. I wanted to swap the RRV chard for something else--Andrew was very helpful and made it easy. Very positive experience thus far.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Nate Simon » September 11th, 2020, 8:08 am

Rohit B wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 7:42 am
They were happy to hold mine for weather, no problem.

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Nick F. » September 11th, 2020, 8:20 am

anyone taste these yet? Specifically interested int he Yountville
i a s c o n e

Toby P

#29 Post by Toby P » September 11th, 2020, 8:39 am

Haven't tasted; recently ordered the WB 6-pack plus another mixed 6 to round out a case. Looking forward to try, source wineries seem likely to be really good stuff. MatthewT mentioned he had the Sta Rita Hills pinot and Coombsville cab and both were really good
P r a t t

Don Brazelton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Don Brazelton » September 11th, 2020, 9:05 am

Just saw the offer and I’m in. I like the free shipping offers.

Ron F r e e d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Ron F r e e d » September 11th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Need more wine like another hole in my head, but am splitting a case with a friend.

Andrew, thanks for being so enabling!!!

andrewkao

#32 Post by andrewkao » September 11th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Ron F r e e d wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 2:23 pm
Need more wine like another hole in my head, but am splitting a case with a friend.

Andrew, thanks for being so enabling!!!
[cheers.gif] Here's to hoping it's so good you won't want to split
Claudine Wines

David Buck

#33 Post by David Buck » September 11th, 2020, 3:53 pm

In for special [cheers.gif]

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Albert R » September 13th, 2020, 12:09 pm

I took a sampler as well. Nice to not have to buy a case of the same wine. Looking forward to these.
Thanks Andrew.
@. Re-go

Andreas Birnik
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Andreas Birnik » September 21st, 2020, 10:51 pm

To help people come together and split cases of private label wines from Claudine, de Négoce and Wine Access, we have created the Case Splitter web app to connect people in geographic proximity.

http://www.casesplitter.com/start-sharing-case

We are beginning to get density of users in the following areas:

• SF Bay Area (SF, Oakland, San Carlos, Menlo Park, Los Gatos, Morgan Hill, Foster City)
• San Antonio (TX) + Austin (TX)
• Houston (TX)
• Baltimore (MD) + Washington DC + Richmond (VA)
• Possibly a stretch cluster from Cleveland (OH) to Pittsburgh (PA)

We then have isolated Case Splitters in the following locations so we need more people to sign-up so that we can match them:

• Los Angeles (CA)
• Las Vegas (NV)
• Tucson (AZ)
• Boston (MA)
• New York City (NY)
• Miami (FL)
• New Orleans (LA)

It is fun in case we can get case splitting going and have people come together for private label tasting parties, with wines from Claudine, de Négoce and Wine Access, once the Covid-19 situation permits this to happen.

Kevin Stine

#36 Post by Kevin Stine » September 22nd, 2020, 10:42 am

I can’t get the WB30 to work.
A2F4CE3A-39B2-404A-82FE-F05CDA9233DC.jpeg
Kevin Stine

andrewkao

#37 Post by andrewkao » September 22nd, 2020, 12:17 pm

Kevin Stine wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 10:42 am
I can’t get the WB30 to work.

A2F4CE3A-39B2-404A-82FE-F05CDA9233DC.jpeg
Hi Kevin,

The promo expired a few weeks back, but I'll reach out to you directly via email. Many thanks!

Cheers,

Andrew
Claudine Wines

David Buck

#38 Post by David Buck » September 22nd, 2020, 4:18 pm

Got my sampler pack...nice and cold...Cold week here on the East...thats good...Now I gotta wait couple weeks to settle...patience...

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by John O' » September 25th, 2020, 5:12 am

Enjoyed the 2018 RRV Chardonnay last night from the sampler pack. Reminded me of Sandhi. This isn't a "sleuthing" observation, just a descriptor.
O Sullivan

David Buck

#40 Post by David Buck » September 25th, 2020, 5:30 am

John O' wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 5:12 am
Enjoyed the 2018 RRV Chardonnay last night from the sampler pack. Reminded me of Sandhi. This isn't a "sleuthing" observation, just a descriptor.
Speaking of sleuthing...Claudine Deux was pretty easy....The French Laundy has the makers Merlot on their list it says...

Looked that up and yountville:

https://www.tamberbey.com/

They have Deux all over website....think thats it....

ray ormand
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by ray ormand » September 25th, 2020, 9:24 pm

Have enjoyed the Deux (Tamber Bey) and the Syrah (Dumol?). Both are first class.

Rohit B

#42 Post by Rohit B » September 26th, 2020, 8:41 am

Another member posted this podcast interview with Brian of Claudine Wines over in the wine talk forum--thought it should be cross-posted here as well.

Listened to it this morning and found it very informative for a newbie like myself.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/x ... 0491422010

Toby P

#43 Post by Toby P » September 30th, 2020, 7:47 am

Got my shipment a couple weeks ago (1 WB 6 pack and then an assorted sixer of others). Very excited to try, but it also seems like these wines are good to age quite a bit given the apparent quality of the sources.

Andrew, I see most/all of the suggested drinking windows are basically now til 2025-2030ish, but are there any you would particularly suggest are better to open near term, or any you would strongly recommend holding back?
P r a t t

andrewkao

#44 Post by andrewkao » September 30th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Toby P wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 7:47 am
Got my shipment a couple weeks ago (1 WB 6 pack and then an assorted sixer of others). Very excited to try, but it also seems like these wines are good to age quite a bit given the apparent quality of the sources.

Andrew, I see most/all of the suggested drinking windows are basically now til 2025-2030ish, but are there any you would particularly suggest are better to open near term, or any you would strongly recommend holding back?
Hi Toby -

We hold back wine until we feel like it's ready to drink, so truly they're all ready to drink. (In fact, sitting on a few cabs that just need more time). That said, my personal opinion is that the Syrah and Signature Series Pinot are singing right now. Hope that helps and really looking forward to your thoughts - please do share if you have a chance!

Andrew
Claudine Wines

Toby P

#45 Post by Toby P » October 1st, 2020, 6:46 am

Awesome, thanks for the feedback Andrew!
P r a t t

Doug Uno

#46 Post by Doug Uno » October 1st, 2020, 8:48 pm

Is this offer still available?

andrewkao

#47 Post by andrewkao » October 1st, 2020, 10:10 pm

Doug Uno wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 8:48 pm
Sent you a PM!
Claudine Wines

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by John O' » October 3rd, 2020, 5:05 am

Tried the Syrah and Deux from the sampler pack last night. The Syrah was just outstanding. Elegant and restrained, as they described it. The Deux didn't compare well, but in fairness it's a very different wine and we were several bottles into the evening at that point.
Did a reload on the Chardonnay. Would have added the Syrah, but I'm fully overstocked on reds.
O Sullivan

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Kris Patten » October 3rd, 2020, 6:46 pm

andrewkao wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 10:10 pm
Doug Uno wrote:
Sent you a PM!
Curious about this too Andrew.
ITB

NealW

#50 Post by NealW » October 4th, 2020, 11:45 am

Kris Patten wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 6:46 pm
andrewkao wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 10:10 pm
Doug Uno wrote:
Sent you a PM!
Curious about this too Andrew.
Edit: this post was approved by an admin after I started a separate but similar post in the wine talk forum

Also interested as I forgot about this until I just listened to the claudine episode of the xchateau podcast (which I found informative/interesting especially relative to the influencer ones)

Curious as to why I read less about Claudine vs others on this board? Obviously the business model is different (smaller lots / more expensive and not constant new one time releases ) which contributes. I first heard about claudine in the de Negoce and wine access threads but don’t see anything else really about it. I almost never come to commerce corner but would be good to see more people’s TN and comments on value (few in this post are appreciated). I’m assuming the OP doesn’t feel it is appropriate for a principal to start it there (even tho that is what CH did).

I like this business model better than DN (we will see what DN does with heldback wine but hard to see buying more if you already have a case) to the ability to try a sampler and then order a case or mixed case of what you like (was mentioned on podcast as common).. obviously I like the DN price point better as this is approaching the Higher end of what I prefer to pay for most wines (interesting note from the podcast was that the primary consumer was primarily the opposite and coming down from $100 wine etc)
Last edited by NealW on October 4th, 2020, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W e s s o n

Return to “Commerce Corner - Wine Classifieds”