WTB: 5/6 Liter Bordeaux for 40th

Looking for a bottle for an unplanned 40th in November. Probably 5 to 6 liter but two 3’s or maybe even a 9L. Friends like wine but I am definitely the only one on WB and I typically am the person to introduce them to old world wines (I am looking for traditional style over modern). I would like something at least entering maturity. I am thinking classified, probably left bank, but open. My budget is flexible depending on the wine. If you have something that has been well stored but is collecting dust and you would like it to go to a good cause, please let me know. Thanks!

Did they not know they were turning 40 this year?

Assuming you were not looking for birth year wines, JJ Buckley has some mature 5L and 6L bottles. Last year I bought a 5L 1996 Chateau Cantemerle in anticipation of a future party, as I have that wine in 750ml and like it very much. I see that they still have both 5L and 6L of that wine.

Definitely check with millesima-usa.com they carry large formats and prob have a handful with some decent age on them.

just be careful there as many if not most of their wines are on pre-arrival

Here you go, this would be awesome. From Millesima. They have a “in stock” filter, plus a filter by bottle size (and of course a vintage filter) so it’s not hard to see what you can get quickly.

Chateau Pichon Baron 2000
Bordeaux - Pauillac - RedSecond Growth
Parker
97 / 100

$3,400
1 Imperial (6L) |
In-Stock

Another fun one, but prob too young in this format

Chateau Leoville Poyferre 2009
Bordeaux - Saint-Julien - RedSecond Growth
Parker
98 / 100J. Suckling
95 / 100

$3,495
1 Imperial (6L) |
In-Stock

for a 40th in November shouldn’t you look for something from 1980?
For a friend who is turning in December 2020 I bought a mag of 1980 Heitz Martha’s.

Not sure what is good in 1980 in Bordeaux.

I have a 6L 1998 Dom Perignon if interested

Check Winebid too.

1999 PAVIE DECESSE, (3) 3.00 litre bottles

St. Emilion, Bordeaux, France
Ownership-8.5 acres, 400 to 1,000 cases produced
Average age of vines, fifty seven years
90% Merlot & 10% Cabernet Franc

1999-This is a strikingly delineated St.-Emilion with an opaque ruby, purple color and aromas of black currants, blackberries, and wet steel liquified minerals. The layered, rich, intense 1999 possesses superb fruit purity and medium to full body. This is one of the most concentrated and potentially longest lived wines of the vintage. Drink: 2007 to 2025. Last tasted, 4/02. Rating 93. RP

If interested, E/M

Flatiron NY has a 5L of 1989 Chateau Margaux for $7,000. Would be pretty tasty!!

Thank you all for the suggestions, I have purchased from Millesima and JJ Buckley in the past and have been monitoring their wines although I don’t have confidence that pre-arrival wines will be here in time. I have not had luck with the 80s Bordeaux that I have tried although they have been 750s. I put in a bid for some of the ex-cellar Lafite in the Zachys auction a couple of years ago but they went for crazy prices. I am probably looking in the $1-3K range for a bottle depending on the wine. Thanks again.

FYI, I got an offer from Vinfolio that had a 6L of 2001 Mouton 10% off for $6295.

I sold a a number of 5 and 6 L bottles on winebid recently. They were 2005-2008 Bordeaux. I think I still have a 9L Walla Walla Vintners cab in the cellar. I just sent a 3L 2010 Cos d’Estournel to Winebid yesterday. I think there were 6 3L in all. You might check there in two weeks. The others were 2005 and 2006 vintages. There was also 3L 2002 Clos du Lambrays if you want to do the Burgundy thing.

Tim, Thanks for the update. Looks like the 3L Lambrays sold. I will keep looking.

There is a 6L '11 Pichon Lalande at JJBuckley that would be young but might be interesting at $1150. Looks like it is going to be 16-18 people so I may need several 6Ls.

have a 9L of Veuve yellow label

You could try for a Superfund grant.

Thanks, I am looking for red, probably Bordeaux, probably left bank.

Paul, they are have been put on palate and in route to SO Cal refrigerated. The lot will not be listed for two weeks.