Launching new company: de Negoce

Buy, sell, and trade goods with other forum members - private sales only.
Forum rules
If you have a negative or potentially harmful comment to make about another poster's pricing or offer, send a Private Message - do not reply here on the forum. Public comments about pricing or the offer being made will be deleted. Do NOT post links to your auctions where items are sold elsewhere or your post will be deleted. Repeated misuse will result in loss of access to this forum. DO NOT POST UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THE COMMERCE CORNER RULES THREAD BELOW!
Lloyd A. Kasman

Re: Launching new company: de Negoce

#51 Post by Lloyd A. Kasman » May 2nd, 2020, 7:04 pm

I ordered a case! Best of luck on the new venture Cameron!

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#52 Post by Cameron Hughes » May 7th, 2020, 3:34 pm

Nate Simon wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 10:43 am
Cameron, is it correct that these are just being bottled? Any recommendations on how long to wait before giving them a try?
Yes - the concept is to get the wines into contract and then offer them at "pre-arrival" pricing. Purchasers will get an email around bottling that has options for temperature-controlled shipping or hold thorugh summer. I would let them sit a couple months after bottling or take advantage of our buy and hold through the summer.

H. N o w b a r

#53 Post by H. N o w b a r » May 7th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Regarding offer #1, de Negoce's update email states: "Please understand that the wine you purchased is not yet in the bottle, which takes place 3-4 weeks after the offer closes. Once the wine is ready, we will contact you about your shipping preference (see #6 below)" It also states: " Approximately one week prior to shipping, we will send you an email outlining your shipping options."

Hope this helps.
H () s

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by MatthewT » May 8th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Offer #2 out...in again...Maybe I'll never buy a bottle of wine >$20 again.

Opaque core with magenta/violet rim, this 2017 Stagecoach Vineyard-derived Cabernet Sauvignon leaps from the glass with an amalgam of chaparral, blackberry, black currant, rocky loam and graphite. Sappy, ripe black fruit mingles energetically with Stagecoach's classic dusty hillside tannins in a long finish echoing blackberry, licorice and tobacco. An archetype of the vintage (with no smoke taint), this sexy, ephemeral, hillside Cabernet front-lines for around $90/bottle at the winery. A steal at $15/bottle.

96% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Cabernet Franc, 1% Petite Verdot.

60% new French oak and 15.2% alc.

$15/bottle
I'm a Turk, though not from Turkey, it's actually my last name

H. N o w b a r

#55 Post by H. N o w b a r » May 8th, 2020, 1:01 pm

MatthewT wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 12:16 pm
Offer #2 out...in again...Maybe I'll never buy a bottle of wine >$20 again.

Opaque core with magenta/violet rim, this 2017 Stagecoach Vineyard-derived Cabernet Sauvignon leaps from the glass with an amalgam of chaparral, blackberry, black currant, rocky loam and graphite. Sappy, ripe black fruit mingles energetically with Stagecoach's classic dusty hillside tannins in a long finish echoing blackberry, licorice and tobacco. An archetype of the vintage (with no smoke taint), this sexy, ephemeral, hillside Cabernet front-lines for around $90/bottle at the winery. A steal at $15/bottle.

96% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Cabernet Franc, 1% Petite Verdot.

60% new French oak and 15.2% alc.

$15/bottle
I just ordered a case. Looking forward to tasting it.
H () s

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Josh Grossman » May 8th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Cameron Hughes wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 8:50 am
Josh Grossman wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 8:38 am
Cameron Hughes wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 8:30 am

fair inquiry. No smoke taint on the 2017 Napa Cabernet in question...the fact of the matter is that's just where pricing is these days.
If you could add abv and just the bare minimum about elevage in future offers, it would be greatly appreciated. I have some serious FOMO from skipping the first offer.
yes, agreed, those details missing. was in a hurry...one man band over here.
Thanks. Order in.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#57 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 8th, 2020, 1:26 pm

FWIW Cameron told me this was the one to get when the offer came out, so I got it
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Robert M yers » May 8th, 2020, 1:38 pm

I really really want to but case purchases of wine without tasting, or even a note from an impartial party, is really going in blind. Couple that with what may come, I’m assuming multiple offers coming way before the wine will ship in the fall. I do want to...I just can’t wrap my head around getting multiple cases of wine in 5 months and hoping for the best. Somebody tell me I’m overthinking this.

Chris.Martin

#59 Post by Chris.Martin » May 8th, 2020, 1:42 pm

In for a case, thank you!

Vince L.

#60 Post by Vince L. » May 8th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 1:38 pm
I really really want to but case purchases of wine without tasting, or even a note from an impartial party, is really going in blind. Couple that with what may come, I’m assuming multiple offers coming way before the wine will ship in the fall. I do want to...I just can’t wrap my head around getting multiple cases of wine in 5 months and hoping for the best. Somebody tell me I’m overthinking this.
I agree with you as frankly I'm not a big CS fan. But I have friend who are and we just splitting a case between a group of us
l e r t

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by MatthewT » May 8th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
You're overthinking it. At least the first few offers are going to be great. Cause if not, reputation is shit. There was a review, San Francisco Chronicle tasted them all and they seem good.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/wine/articl ... 201102.php

Hold ESCAPE in chrome to get through paywall after you lick article.

"I’m similarly impressed by the De Negoce offerings. One morning in early March, when it was still possible to do so, I sit with Hughes in his NoPa home and taste the first six wines he plans to offer. All are Bordeaux-style blends from Napa Valley. That initial $10 wine — of which he has contracted 6,666 cases — comes from the Oak Knoll AVA. It’s ripe and silky, with a distinctive blueberry-cobbler flavor and a formidable structure. The winery that made it sells the same exact wine for $50, Hughes says.

The other five De Negoce wines are admirable, too. Many lean toward the bigger, fruitier end of the stylistic spectrum and are successful in that style. One, from a mountain vineyard, shows the brambly chaparral notes and rustic tannins that I love from Napa hillside wines. Another, from Napa’s Coombsville AVA, almost recalls Syrah in its melange of iron and rose petals. Hughes plans to price them all between $10 and $15 a bottle."

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Robert M yers » May 8th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
Sorry, I didn’t realize I was replying in CC. If mods would move this to the Wine Talk thread, don’t want to drub on his business thread.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by MatthewT » May 8th, 2020, 2:54 pm

prob should just lock this thread so there is only one

Tico D.

#64 Post by Tico D. » May 8th, 2020, 4:14 pm

I decided to bite on this one, sounds to be right up my alley. Looking forward to tasting and leaving review.
Tico del Castillo

Lloyd A. Kasman

#65 Post by Lloyd A. Kasman » May 8th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Wow the OG # 2 Stagecoach is sold out!
When I got the email, I said I’ll deal with it a little later as I was trading the stock market actively today. Logged in half hour ago and it was all gone. I didn’t wanna fiddle with the site because the first time I ordered via PayPal and that went through very quickly, and from what I read in the email that form of payment is currently disabled. Oh well, maybe like he did last time he’ll reallocate a few more cases the following day. Cameron if you’re reading this, this is my true name please email me if there’s any available :-)

Best of luck to all those that got in!

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Nick F. » May 8th, 2020, 4:49 pm

Yep. Missed this as well
i a s c o n e

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by MatthewT » May 8th, 2020, 4:50 pm

wow. the first offer had 6666 CASES. guessing this one had at least 1000. what buying power.

eddy c

#68 Post by eddy c » May 8th, 2020, 5:53 pm

In for a case 2 for 2. Can't go wrong with these prices.
eddy chang

Kevin Stine

#69 Post by Kevin Stine » May 8th, 2020, 7:39 pm

I’m missed out on round 2. Missed the email
Kevin Stine

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by JDavisRoby » May 8th, 2020, 7:57 pm

Tried to buy an hour ago and missed it. Oh well.
Joshu@

rsmithjr

#71 Post by rsmithjr » May 10th, 2020, 11:43 am

Just found this yesterday. Signed up....not that I need more wine.
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant'

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by JonathanG » May 10th, 2020, 3:30 pm

rsmithjr wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 11:43 am
Just found this yesterday. Signed up....not that I need more wine.
We all need more wine that's a crazy low price with high quality!
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Kevin Stine

#73 Post by Kevin Stine » May 11th, 2020, 1:29 pm

If anyone by any chance has an extra case of the stagecoach they are willing to part with, I would happy to take it off your hands. I missed out.
Kevin Stine

Tom F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Tom F. » May 15th, 2020, 4:47 pm

Kevin Stine wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 1:29 pm
If anyone by any chance has an extra case of the stagecoach they are willing to part with, I would happy to take it off your hands. I missed out.
Sounds like you are in luck as I think his next release is also going to be Stagecoach.
T 0 m F | 0 y d

Vince L.

#75 Post by Vince L. » May 15th, 2020, 5:13 pm

Tom F. wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 4:47 pm
Kevin Stine wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 1:29 pm
Sounds like you are in luck as I think his next release is also going to be Stagecoach.
OG N.03 2017 Napa Valley Cabernet Franc (Stagecoach Vineyard)

just hit the inbox
Dark in the glass with an electric purple rim, this wine leaps from the glass with dark cherry, black raspberry, spicy sage and cigar box all wrapped in a halo of earthy dark chocolate. Smooth on entry with juicy red currant and black raspberry notes pinned against a solid framework of fine tannins. Exceptional quality and attention to detail is evident in every aspect of this elegant yet powerfully built red wine. It will drink well now (and is especially food friendly) and age beautifully over the next 15 years

Scheduled bottling date May 28th, 2020

98% Cabernet Franc, 2% Petite Verdot
60% new French oak
15.5% Alcohol
l e r t

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by MatthewT » May 15th, 2020, 5:17 pm

I bought but at some point I probably should stop.

T Fletcher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by T Fletcher » May 15th, 2020, 5:20 pm

I bought bc I LOVE Cab Franc...higher ABV than what I prefer but the price makes it a no brainer.
Trent Fletcher
CT: tcufletch

H. N o w b a r

#78 Post by H. N o w b a r » May 15th, 2020, 5:20 pm

The third offer is Cab Franc. I like cab franc so I ordered two cases @ $12/bottle. Thanks for sourcing this juice. Description below:

"Our third de Négoce release hails, again, from the hallowed ground that is Napa Valley's Stagecoach Vineyard. Here the lean volcanic soils and high altitude are a perfect match for the soaring and ethereal aromatics of Cabernet Franc. This 2017 vintage is a powerfully structured yet beautifully expressive wine for the de minimis tariff of $12/bottle ($144/case). I might also add this is a dynamite food wine and will age beautifully for another 15-20 years."
H () s

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by HoosJustinG » May 15th, 2020, 8:23 pm

@Cameron: Appreciate that you are a candid participant here, so I’m going to ask a question I hope you’re able to answer... How do these wines differ from the wines you’d typically source for the CH label? IOW: Why this model vs releasing it for 30 bucks under the CH label?
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Bill Tex Landreth

#80 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 15th, 2020, 9:52 pm

HoosJustinG wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 8:23 pm
@Cameron: Appreciate that you are a candid participant here, so I’m going to ask a question I hope you’re able to answer... How do these wines differ from the wines you’d typically source for the CH label? IOW: Why this model vs releasing it for 30 bucks under the CH label?
WAG is that he is selling in case quantity vs. by the bottle and the margin is thin, but volume in advance makes it profitable.
DB: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cankles&amp=true&defid=248846

Chris S p i k e s

#81 Post by Chris S p i k e s » May 16th, 2020, 6:44 am

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 9:52 pm
HoosJustinG wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 8:23 pm
WAG is that he is selling in case quantity vs. by the bottle and the margin is thin, but volume in advance makes it profitable.
Yep. My guess is it goes something like this:

Winery has 12,000 bottle equivalent excess in barrels they need to move out, but want to do so silently. He gets an agreement with them with minimum/maximum flexibility. He's plenty experienced and knows how much he can move for sure, so he guarantees the winery a purchase of say 8,000 bottle equivalents, but with the option to get all 12,000. He knows precisely how much his bottling/packaging costs will be. Then, he sells the wine for a few dollars of profit prior to delivery, then tells the winery how much he will take. Shipping is probably a pass through cost.

It's really a great model for everyone. Winery gets rid of excess product and doesn't dilute their brand or undercut their list customers. Cameron sets it up so there is very little risk for him even though the margin is small. Consumer gets an unbranded wine that should punch well above its price point.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by MatthewT » May 16th, 2020, 8:23 am

He is making good $, the first offer had over 6000 cases sold and he says he working on a 10-15% margin (seems fair). You do the math at $120/case + shipping

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by alan weinberg » May 16th, 2020, 1:09 pm

on his web site he says “de négoce” is pronounced “day-na-go-shay.” It’s not. The final e is not pronounced.

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#84 Post by Cameron Hughes » May 18th, 2020, 9:46 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 1:09 pm
on his web site he says “de négoce” is pronounced “day-na-go-shay.” It’s not. The final e is not pronounced.
au contraire mon frere...day-na-go-shay rolls off the tongue better and I like it that way...mas panache...but you pronounce however YOU like.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by alan weinberg » May 19th, 2020, 6:55 am

Cameron Hughes wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 9:46 pm
alan weinberg wrote:
au contraire mon frere...day-na-go-shay rolls off the tongue better and I like it that way...mas panache...but you pronounce however YOU like.
ça va, mon ami.

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by HoosJustinG » May 19th, 2020, 8:35 am

Cameron Hughes wrote:
alan weinberg wrote:
Suspect this may be the case for those who don’t speak French. If you speak French, trying to pronounce it that way - both words incorrectly, actually - makes you hesitate/think about both words (and not roll off the tongue) the same way it would be if I told you that “wine glass” were actually pronounced “vine gla-say.”

De should be pronounced “duh” (close ... not sure how to write it phonetically ... really it sounds like how you’d explain what the letter “D” sounds like) and “ne” with accent aigu is really more “nay” than “na” and then “goce” is basically “gose” as if you’re pronouncing “ghost” with no T on the end.

So ... as it’s written, it’s pronounced “duh nay-gose” (also keep in mind that in French all syllables are given equal time)

Pretty sure this might be the most pedantic post in my message board career.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Nate Simon » May 19th, 2020, 10:12 am

Pretty sure you nerds were looking for Linguistics Berserkers and took a wrong turn on the Web.

H. N o w b a r

#88 Post by H. N o w b a r » May 19th, 2020, 11:03 am

Nate Simon wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 10:12 am
Pretty sure you nerds were looking for Linguistics Berserkers and took a wrong turn on the Web.
LOL. +1

If the wine is as good as expected, I will pronounce it however Cameron wants it pronounced.
H () s

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Michael Martin » May 19th, 2020, 11:33 am

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by alan weinberg » May 19th, 2020, 11:35 am

HoosJustinG wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 8:35 am
Cameron Hughes wrote:
alan weinberg wrote:
Suspect this may be the case for those who don’t speak French. If you speak French, trying to pronounce it that way - both words incorrectly, actually - makes you hesitate/think about both words (and not roll off the tongue) the same way it would be if I told you that “wine glass” were actually pronounced “vine gla-say.”

De should be pronounced “duh” (close ... not sure how to write it phonetically ... really it sounds like how you’d explain what the letter “D” sounds like) and “ne” with accent aigu is really more “nay” than “na” and then “goce” is basically “gose” as if you’re pronouncing “ghost” with no T on the end.

So ... as it’s written, it’s pronounced “duh nay-gose” (also keep in mind that in French all syllables are given equal time)

Pretty sure this might be the most pedantic post in my message board career.
je suis d’accord.

H. N o w b a r

#91 Post by H. N o w b a r » May 19th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 11:33 am
[cheers.gif]
H () s

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by mattcitrang » May 22nd, 2020, 5:08 am

Looks like offer #5 came out yesterday. Moving right along.

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Scott Jameson » May 23rd, 2020, 8:13 am

mattcitrang wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 5:08 am
Looks like offer #5 came out yesterday. Moving right along.
#4 was skipped, at least for now, although it's apparently being bottled in a few weeks.

So far we've seen 4 offers in about 3 weeks. Is this rate expected to continue, increase, or decrease ? Some of these have sounded tempting but I'm not up for buying a case of wine a week, even it is well-priced.

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by JonathanG » May 23rd, 2020, 8:18 am

According to that SF Chronicle article posted earlier, there were 6 initial offerings mentioned, so I am assuming 2 more will come relatively soon, then a pause in the offers
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by JonathanG » May 23rd, 2020, 9:48 am

And O. G. 4 is out. Stagecoach merlot.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Jason L Jones
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Jason L Jones » May 23rd, 2020, 9:56 am

It seems this would be from either Miner, Freemark Abbey or Krupp. No one else is making an SVD merlot from Stagecoach.

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by JonathanG » May 23rd, 2020, 9:59 am

Im thinking all the stagecoach wines are from the same winery.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by mattcitrang » May 23rd, 2020, 10:02 am

#4 Stagecoach Merlot just hit my email.

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Albert R » May 23rd, 2020, 10:03 am

Jason L Jones wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:56 am
It seems this would be from either Miner, Freemark Abbey or Krupp. No one else is making an SVD merlot from Stagecoach.
+1
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Vince L.

#100 Post by Vince L. » May 23rd, 2020, 10:05 am

JonathanG wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:59 am
Im thinking all the stagecoach wines are from the same winery.
Emails states as such I thought
l e r t

Return to “Commerce Corner - Wine Classifieds”