Giorgio Rivetti Wine Dinner in Western MA

Not my dinner, but I am going.

Giorgio Rivetti Wine Dinner
John Andrews Restaurant
January 29th, 2010 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM

Please join us Friday, January 29th, 2010 at 6:30pm for a glorious evening of great wine, food and company at John Andrew’s Restaurant in South Egremont, MA. Our guest speaker for the evening will be none other than La Spinetta’s legendary owner and winemaker, Giorgio Rivetti. Giorgio, along with his two brothers Carlo and Bruno, owns and operates La Spinetta winery in Castagnole Lanze, Piedmont. Giorgio has taken the world by storm with his impressive bottlings of Moscato, Barbera, Barolo and Barbaresco. His wines frequently display a rich and voluptuous character that is so impressive and moving that Giorgio has humbly become the true ‘tour de force’ of Piedmont. Passed hors d’oeuvres will begin at 6:30pm with dinner immediately following. Chef/owner Dan Smith of John Andrew’s will be creating an exquisite menu to pair alongside the stunning wines of La Spinetta. This will be a truly memorable event! Please contact the Spirit Shoppe at info@spiritshoppe.com or 413.528.1490 or John Andrew’s Restaurant at 413.528.3469.

Pricing is $95 per person (tax and gratuity not included).

“One of Italy’s most fashionable winemakers/proprietors, Giorgio Rivetti displays a masterful touch whether he is making Barbera, Moscato d’Asti, or his proprietary red wine Pin.” - Robert Parker, Jr.

“In a little less than a decade, Giorgio Rivetti, owner and winemaker of La Spinetta in Barbaresco, has become one of the leading forces in Piedmont. He’s making exciting ripe, fruit-forward Nebbiolos that would give many highly rated New World wines a run for their money. Now he’s making waves in Barolo….Rivetti is first and foremost a winemaker—one of the best and most innovative winemakers in Piedmont today. But he is also in tune with today’s consumer, whom he believes shares his preference for wines that are more approachable on release.” – The Wine Spectator

The Rivetti family story begins in the 1890s when Giovanni Rivetti, grandfather of the three Rivetti brothers, Carlo, Bruno and Giorgio, left his homeland of Piedmont to try to discover wealth and prosperity in Argentina. Unfortunately, he never returned but his son, Giuseppe (nicknamed Pin) did, to follow his father’s dream. He married Lidia and in 1977, they took residence at La Spinetta (the top of the hill) in Castagnole Lanze. This was the home of a light and simple dessert wine called Moscato d’Asti. The Rivetti’s were convinced however that there was greatness to be had from the Moscato varietal and were the first to bottle a single vineyard Moscato d’Asti in Italy in 1978. The family ambition of grandeur continued as the production of red wines began to emerge, with the Barbera Cà di Pian in 1985 as their first red offering. After this, many great red wines were produced, including ‘Pin,’ a Nebbiolo/Barbera blend named for their father. In 1995, the three brothers released their first Barbaresco, Gallina (the first wine to carry the rhinoceros label) and then in the subsequent two years, the Barbaresco Starderi, Barbera d’Alba Gallina and Barbaresco Valeirano. In 1998, they premiered their Barbera d’Asti Superiore. And then, in the year 2000, the family’s ambition of creating a Barolo became a reality when they were able to purchase vineyards in Grinzane Cavour and build a state of the art cellar, Barolo Campè. The following year, the family ventured outside of the limit of Piedmont and acquired 65 hectares in Tuscany, between the villages of Pisa and Volterra where they currently bottle three different 100% Sangiovese offerings. You can be assured whatever the wine, the magical touch of Giorgio Rivetti will always be present in the wines of La Spinetta.

Spirit Shoppe
71 Main St · South Egremont MA 01258
Phone: 413-528-1490 · Fax: 413-528-5776

I wish I were closer. The Spinetta/Rivetti wines are just fantastic and fun even if not traditional.

Hey Eric, hop a plane to Albany International Airport. I’ll pick you up!

Oh man I wish. My plate is so full for the next month it is insane.

It’s ok. I don’t need all those CT’ers screaming at me for causing delay. pileon

And you wouldn’t want Neal to call it UnicornTracker! [wink.gif]