1960 Birth Year Wines

Hello BCC…looking for a solid 1960 for a client for their birth year celebration.

Anyone with stocks of something that will show well please email me: tomATwinesolutionsDOTcom

bump…

Forget dry still wine for 1960. Go for Armagnac. Completely undamaged by storage, can drink it over a two year period after opening–maybe ten years-- and also you can use it to make killer complex cocktails. Armagnac has a much sexier story than Cognac. Richer and more complex. Distilled only once, column stills instead of pot stills, tiny production for each, and the makers are free to make their own distinct style. But read the reviews, each producer does differently in each vintage. Avoid anything that was “light” or “thin” in that year. If you do buy an Armagnac, print out the story of that vintage, and the story of that producer, and the story of what Armagnac is, and include it with the bottle along with a personal note about why the story of this bottle made you think of the recipient. Serious.

“Like you, this wine is high in alcohol and cost me a lot of money just to be around.” Something like that. Not serious.

This is a good idea thanks for suggesting George.

great advice that I followed for my birth year—worst of the last century1956

I’ve had a few 1960s because it’s my brother’s birthyear. The only one that was really okay was Haut Brion. It was a half bottle in pretty good condition. The wine wasn’t great but it was tasty and fun to drink with my brother and mom, though I made the mistake of answering my mom when she asked much it cost! I didn’t think it was that much - probably less than any other 375ml of HB I could have found at that time.

I really like Colares, here is a 1960:

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/adegas+vinuva+gomez+tinto+colaris+estremadura+lisbon+portugal/1960

I’ve had several bottles of the 65 and 69 over the last couple years. They are intriguing wines. I think I have a 1960 as well.

My note on the 69:

I was born in 1960.

Few possibilities except :
Port Vintage
Vega Sicilia Unico 1960

I actually had :
a correct St-Emilion Château de Pressac 1960 (15,5/20)

I wish I could taste Margaux Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre 1960. The 1959 and 1961 are sublime (but 1960 is not as favourable).

My wife’s birthday is early 1956. I go with conception only to put 1955 into play. It’s all in your mind anyway. 1959 is much more favorable.

1960 Vega is probably the best among only a handful of 1960 still wines I’ve ever tried. Had it a couple times. Still I’m not sure it is worth the current price.

Never had the 1960.
I had a strange (pop and pour) 1961 at the end of 2002 :
_22. 1961 Bodegas Vega Sicilia Ribera del Duero Unico :
PC? - DS? - PP? - LG? - RT? - EF12 - GL12 - VM13,5.

• Nez lacté, avec des notes de mûre, de caramel au lait, de bourbon (chêne américain). Volatile prononcée, caractéristique du cru.
  • Bouche malheureusement vinaigrée, désagréable. Echantillon difficile à noter en l’état. Par chance, le vin est mis de côté et Roger nous assure que la dégustation effectuée le lendemain révèle un vin superbe, dont la qualité est à la hauteur des meilleurs millésimes du cru._

Our guest told us that the wine was wonderful the next day, as I wrote in my report.

Kopke Colheita port is usually available in older vintages. My go to choice for birth year gifts.

Rivesaltes? Granted that’s from a French site, but I’m sure you can find it Stateside. Can’t beat it for reliability, ageworthiness and QPR.

Another solid recommendation. I got a 1940 for my Mom’s 80th earlier this year, and it was excellent.

Vins Doux Naturels from Roussillon : Maury, Banyuls, Rivesaltes are worth trying …