The Durand Combined Corkscrew and“Ah-So“

Hi,

first here is the link to this subject on wine talk:

The Durand - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and second, here is the link to their website with full descriptions, photos etc:

http://thedurand.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(FWIW, I have no ties with this group just trying to draw attention to this great piece of equipment…
particularly at Christmas time)

[swoon.gif]

I know it is expensive.
The materials are first rate.
Mark Taylor the inventor gave me a code to save 5% for all my friends.
I am posting it here.
With free shipping in the US until 1/31/10 and 5% off, it is a better deal.
The code is…

premier cru

looks nice, but that’s a whole lotta money for a means to an end

It looks like a neat toy… but here’s a question to the founder/users…

is there a difference between that and say… using a small corkscrew, PLUS an ah-so on top?

besides it comes nicely fitting together.?

Yeah, I’m out, too. I was planning to buy one, if it was in the sub $50 range - not this.

Just out of curiosity… where is this manufactured?

It probably works quite well, but does seem a bit pricey. For old, recalcitrant corks, I’ve tended to use the long screw piece from the original screwpull, without the housing that fits over the neck. It takes a little patience, but usually works.

-Al

David,
That I don’t know.
I can ask.

$50 and I’d buy several. At $125, easy pass.
alan

Al, I don’t know if you have ever hung out on the same board as François Audouze, famous collector of old French wines? What you described is “his” standard technique for old corks. Interesting that you came up with exactly the same method.

The Ah-So is great for “glued” corks. My worst recent cork was in a bottle of vintage Port and it ended up down inside the bottle. Well, the majority of it did… My corkscrew “ate” 1/3 of the cork and the Ah-So pushed the rest down inside.

I hang out on that board from time to time, and I got the idea of using the screw piece from Mark Sutherland who, I believe, got it from M. Audouze. It takes a little patience but it does work well.

-Al

François was on Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts for a long time before he decided he needed a bigger audience, I think it was on BWE that I learned about his 'screwing techniques.