Old Bordeaux berserker trade

As im always attacking old Wines i would like to make sure what im thinking is correct.

Dennis very kindly traded a great burgundy with me so i could experience aged burg, this turned out to be a very informative trade for both of us, Dennis tried a big new world pinot which he enjoyed and i tried a mature burg which was enjoyable but did confirm that while it was a great wine it was not my thing.

I would love to try the same with an older mature Bordeaux, i will offer a good quality big new world wine in trade for the Bordeaux, we eill reach a mutual agreement as to like for like values

Anyone open for business ?

Why not just take a trip, see the coast and uncork a few?

I would love to, but money is tight this year with my particular business area being down

Post in CC?

This could be another fun learning exercise for the both of us. There’s a '95 Clinet (Pomerol) and a '95 Grand Puy Lacoste (Pauillac) that I was saving for a Right Bank / Left Bank comparison tasting, but the proper bottle(s) of something New World might be able to tempt me out of one or both. Believe it or not, both you and Jay Hack have me very curious about some of those hedonistic rock star Parker-Powerhouse California wines.

Both are nowhere near what I would call “mature” !!!

This does not sound like a fair trade to me: Alan provides gloopy gloss, others provide ethereal nectar. Hmmm…pazz.

“Old and crusty” they are not, but 20 years is nothing to sneeze at which is probably good for Alan’s experiment.

Gotta expand your horizons man. Experiencing a bottle or two of ooze might give me a reference point in communicating with Jay Hack and the PFBB (Pro-Flavor Bourgeoisie Brigade). [snort.gif]

The 95 left bank wines have been notoriously cranky. I read an encouraging note here a few weeks ago, I seem to recall, but I am saving my 2-3 bottles of the 95 GPL for a bit longer. I bet the Clinet is lovely though

Try for a top tier '82 or '90. If you don’t like those, you definitely don’t like aged Bordeaux.

just get ready for the Sunday of Memorial Day. We will be opening plenty of rocket fuel in the back yard. See Offline Planner thread. I also usually open some old stuff that won’t travel well so I have to have it at home. I’ve opened 1967 Carruades, 1976 Chassagne Montrachet Rouge, 1970 Gruaud Larose and a few others. I think I have an old Grivelet Gevrey Chambertin and i am the only person on CT with 1972 Joseph Drouhin Corton GC. We could compare that even up with an AUbert pinot. [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Jay

You really need a nice Kosta Browne, the big flavors will be classy with that French farm juice

+1

Neal, I’ve heard the same thing from friends, and read notes on CellarTracker that back your opinion up. I’m not a Bordeaux guy and I don’t have enough sample data to say this for sure, but it seems the average to better Pomerols come around a bit faster than their Pauillac equivalents.

All the below available to trade, for the right wine:
1975 Chateau Beychevelle
1989 Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou
1975 Ducru-Beaucaillou
2001 Leoville Las Cases
1999 Lynch Bages

Will any of these do?
2006 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Amber Ridge Vineyard Russian River Valley
2006 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Keefer Ranch Vineyard Russian River Valley
2010 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Russian River Valley
2006 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Russian River Valley
2006 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
2005 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
2005 Kosta Browne Syrah Amber Ridge Vineyard Russian River Valley

Jay

The 2010 RRV should be a perfect match for that dried up French fruit juice

Okay, so who’s trading who what? [wow.gif] [scratch.gif]

I had a nightmare last night that I traded Alan 1989 La Conseillante for a bottle of bug juice.

Are you one of the Men In Black? :wink: