Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

Warm up your credit cards and come on in, as here is where you will find all the BerserkerDay offers - open to EVERYONE who loves wine. Apologize to your spouse or significant other ahead of time.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Marcus Goodfellow
Posts: 1284
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#1 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 25th, 2018, 11:43 pm

Happy BD IX everybody! It seems like there's a huge amount of energy in the air this year, so I wanted to pull out all the stops for number IX!

This year, for anyone ordering a 6 pack, shipping is $20, but if you double down and get 12 bottles I will keep the shipping at $20. This includes the shipper and any sales tax that applies.

Without further ado, here are the options for this year!


1) The Rick Allen: 2 bottles 2015 Goodfellow Willamette Valley Chardonnay, 2 bottles 2015 Goodfellow Durant Chardonnay, 2 bottles 2015 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Chardonnay "Richard's Cuvee"
Normally $220, for BD IX $178!

There is a tremendous amount of really superb Chardonnay being produced in the Willamette Valley
right now. The wines are complex, balanced, and defined by precision and focus rather than opulence and richness. I take a huge amount of pride in the white wines I produce, and with the sites I work with. These Chardonnays are produced from older vines in two of Oregon's best dry farmed vineyards. I pick the fruit with modest sugars and while acidity is still vibrant, then ferment them to dry over 4-6 months(most of the 2017 Goodfellow chardonnay fruit is still fermenting at this time), the wines go through malo-lactic in the late spring or summer, and then are allowed to rest on the lees for at least another 12-14 months, being only racked at bottling and after a 21 month process. They develop a beautiful weight, subtle leesy nuances, with a great finishing minerality and acidic freshness. Cellar them and they will continue to evolve and improve over several years.

2) The Griswold: 2 bottles 2015 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Pinot Noir, 2 btls 2014 Goodfellow Durant Pinot Noir, 2 blts 2015 Goodfellow Fir Crest Pinot Noir
Normally $270, for BD IX $216

For the person looking for a beautiful journey through three of Oregon's best known AVAs, this set starts in the sedimentary soils of Ribbon Ridge, moves over to the volcanic in the Dundee Hills, and finishes with a new single vineyard for me. In Yamhill Carlton, the Fir Crest vineyard was planted in 1985 and this old vine Wadensville offering really embodies the darker fruit I think of in Yamhill Carlton wines, while having a great bump of spice aromatics from the stems, and killer acidity.

The 2015 Whistling Ridge and 2014 Durant offerings are both typical of my wines for structure, but are great examples of how aromatically compelling these vineyards can be.

3) The Ron Felthoven: 2 btls 2015 Goodfellow Heritage #4, 2 bottles 2015 Goodfellow Heritage #5, and 2 bottles Heritage #6.

Typically $420- BD IX price-$330

These wines truly represent the best expression of terroir from 2015. Each stays extraordinarily true to vineyard that produced the wine, and in each case is one of the best bottlings I have ever been fortunate enough to produce. I have been working with Whistling Ridge for 14 years and the Heritage #4 is perhaps the best wine I have produced from this site. The only other possible contender is the 2010 vineyard designate. It is a remarkable site and the #4 is a truly remarkable wine. #5 is one of the most enjoyable bottles of Pinot Noir around, it's a good bit more hedonistic than my usual Durant bottling, but that's really the nature of this fruit in 2015. The #6 is easily the best wine I have ever made from Yamhill-Carlton fruit, its a tiny production, of old vine Wadensville from Fir Crest, 75% whole cluster, and aged 19 months before being racked and bottled. Beautifully dark and sleek, but with a distinctly rugged cut to it. The #6 is most definitely what the "most interesting man in the world" in the Dos Equis ads wishes he was drinking.

These are wines I make with the intention to leave them for my sons, so I don't really recommend Pobega-ing them, but that doesn't stop me from opening them at appointments either.

For orders, please pm me or email at marcus@goodfellowfamilycellars.com

Have a great BD and here's to vintage 2018!
Last edited by Marcus Goodfellow on January 26th, 2018, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10523
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Close to William Penn's Walking Purchase

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#2 Post by Richard T r i m p i » January 26th, 2018, 9:05 am

Some very tasty wines in there that were already aggressively priced before the discounts! Hoping to get my name back in the mix with the next cool vintage.

RT

Marcus Goodfellow
Posts: 1284
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#3 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 26th, 2018, 9:11 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:Some very tasty wines in there that were already aggressively priced before the discounts! Hoping to get my name back in the mix with the next cool vintage.

RT
2017 is for you! I picked early(at one point I saw Jason Lett, another guy with a penchant for elegance, and he had 4% of his fruit in when I was 80% in). Whistling Ridge is 12.25-13% abv, and flavors are just dynamite. Add in some Temperance Hill wines and I have a pretty good supply of juice that reminds me quite a bit of 2010.

Quite a lovely thing IMO...

C Prince
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 244
Joined: January 13th, 2014, 10:03 am
Location: Central NJ

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#4 Post by C Prince » January 26th, 2018, 9:16 am

I love the full chardonnay package... brilliant! RT will just have to move aside for the rest of us [berserker.gif]
∰Col leen∰

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2038
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#5 Post by Charlie Carnes » January 26th, 2018, 6:47 pm

I am super excited about this!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Marcus Goodfellow
Posts: 1284
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#6 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 26th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:I am super excited about this!
I would love to hear your thoughts on the #4

User avatar
Emily Richer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 299
Joined: August 10th, 2010, 8:32 am
Location: Napa Valley

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#7 Post by Emily Richer » January 26th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Ooh, those chardonnays sound delicious...
Virage Napa Valley
Winemaker, Owner & Shipping Clerk

TKMcWilliamsII
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 41
Joined: January 27th, 2016, 7:37 am

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#8 Post by TKMcWilliamsII » January 27th, 2018, 10:38 am

Just e-mailed to order the Rock Allen and the Felthoven. Awesome offer, fantastic wines, great guy - thanks Marcus!
Tim

User avatar
DavidFrankil
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 205
Joined: February 22nd, 2012, 3:07 pm
Location: Cream Ridge, NJ

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#9 Post by DavidFrankil » January 27th, 2018, 10:46 am

just pm'ed for the chardonnay bundle - thank you for participating in Berserker Day, looking forward to trying the wines.
My avatar is a twelfth century Berserker Lewis rook, from the British Museum. "He stands armed with a sword and exposes his huge teeth with which he bites into his shield. It is this gesture that identifies him as a Berserker – a fierce warrior drawn from Norse mythology that bites his shield in a self-induced frenzy prior to battle."

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1806
Joined: February 11th, 2009, 11:40 am
Location: Portland, OR

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#10 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » January 27th, 2018, 10:51 am

Winner, best named offers. [worship.gif]
Vincent - ITB

Bill Mauger
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 119
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 7:39 am

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#11 Post by Bill Mauger » January 27th, 2018, 10:54 am

Order in for the Rick Allen and The Griswold - looking for a bit more color on the Heritage wines - what makes them so different from the regular bottlings from those vineyards and so much more ageable? Afraid they will outlive me as Marcus is much younger than me!

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2038
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#12 Post by Charlie Carnes » January 27th, 2018, 10:56 am

I am in for a Felthoven!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

User avatar
rfelthoven
Posts: 1725
Joined: June 7th, 2011, 9:07 am
Location: Seattle

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#13 Post by rfelthoven » January 27th, 2018, 11:03 am

In for an Allen and a Felthoven. How could I not? :-)
Ron

C Prince
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 244
Joined: January 13th, 2014, 10:03 am
Location: Central NJ

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#14 Post by C Prince » January 27th, 2018, 11:05 am

In for two 6 packs of the chard....now that we know the Goodfellow section of the wine cellar will be replenished, it's safe to open one tonight. [basic-smile.gif] Thank you Marcus!
∰Col leen∰

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2722
Joined: October 7th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#15 Post by dsGriswold » January 27th, 2018, 11:15 am

rfelthoven wrote:In for an Allen and a Felthoven. How could I not? :-)
Gotta go for the Grizzy myself and the Allen for msGris, I'll leave the high priced stuff for Ron. Set them aside for for me to pick up when I head to the valley. [cheers.gif]
DennisG

User avatar
Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 441
Joined: July 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#16 Post by Sean_S » January 27th, 2018, 11:22 am

dsGriswold wrote:
rfelthoven wrote:In for an Allen and a Felthoven. How could I not? :-)
Gotta go for the Grizzy myself and the Allen for msGris, I'll leave the high priced stuff for Ron. Set them aside for for me to pick up when I head to the valley. [cheers.gif]
Dennis,

No Goodfellow for me but I have 4+ cases in the cellar thanks to y'all Oregon Berserkers.

Folks these wines are fantastic. I've tasted through most of the pinots and all the chards and they are just wonderful in a restrained AFWE style. The WV blends all punch way above their price range.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Marcus Goodfellow
Posts: 1284
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#17 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 27th, 2018, 11:25 am

Bill Mauger wrote:Order in for the Rick Allen and The Griswold - looking for a bit more color on the Heritage wines - what makes them so different from the regular bottlings from those vineyards and so much more ageable? Afraid they will outlive me as Marcus is much younger than me!
:) the Heritage wines WILL live for 20 years, but they don’t need to. I open the # 4 in the TR all the time so I can take it home(and that’s coming from someone who likes drinking other peoples wines and Heater Allen beers when the work day is done).

These wines really represent the idea that within good Oregon vineyards(say 1er Cru quality) there are sections, blocks, or rows that are just better(Grand Cru). And that elevating these sections in an old world fashion-no fining, no enzymes, no cold soaks, significant amounts of stems to provide a finer (and firmer) quality to the tannins, and letting the wines evolve in the cellar for a longer period(19-21 months typically) allows these sections to show their class without relying on ripeness, extraction, and sweet oak influence(the Heritage wines, except the #5, see a significant amount of new wood, but it’s all 500 Liter puncheons produced from staves from tight grain forests, seasoned for 3 years and coopered with a moderate toast.

(Deep breath in...)

I often joke that I make wines for Negroni drinkers, but there’s a lot of truth in that joke too. These are very complete wines, including a serious commitment to tannins, savory nuances, and bitterness a la the Negroni.

Regarding them being wines for the cellar, my best metaphor is that Mozart’s most refined work was in the years before his death, but he was remarkable at an early age as well. Like many classic Pinot Noir, I would expect a solid drinking window on the Heritage wines around age 5 for the #5 and around 7-9 for the #4 and #6.

Marcus Goodfellow
Posts: 1284
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#18 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 27th, 2018, 11:30 am

Sean_S wrote:
dsGriswold wrote:
rfelthoven wrote:In for an Allen and a Felthoven. How could I not? :-)
Gotta go for the Grizzy myself and the Allen for msGris, I'll leave the high priced stuff for Ron. Set them aside for for me to pick up when I head to the valley. [cheers.gif]
Dennis,

No Goodfellow for me but I have 4+ cases in the cellar thanks to y'all Oregon Berserkers.

Folks these wines are fantastic. I've tasted through most of the pinots and all the chards and they are just wonderful in a restrained AFWE style. The WV blends all punch way above their price range.
Very much appreciated!

Marcus Goodfellow
Posts: 1284
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#19 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 27th, 2018, 11:30 am

dsGriswold wrote:
rfelthoven wrote:In for an Allen and a Felthoven. How could I not? :-)
Gotta go for the Grizzy myself and the Allen for msGris, I'll leave the high priced stuff for Ron. Set them aside for for me to pick up when I head to the valley. [cheers.gif]
Will do Dennis!

Bill Mauger
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 119
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 7:39 am

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#20 Post by Bill Mauger » January 27th, 2018, 11:41 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
Bill Mauger wrote:Order in for the Rick Allen and The Griswold - looking for a bit more color on the Heritage wines - what makes them so different from the regular bottlings from those vineyards and so much more ageable? Afraid they will outlive me as Marcus is much younger than me!
:) the Heritage wines WILL live for 20 years, but they don’t need to. I open the # 4 in the TR all the time so I can take it home(and that’s coming from someone who likes drinking other peoples wines and Heater Allen beers when the work day is done).

These wines really represent the idea that within good Oregon vineyards(say 1er Cru quality) there are sections, blocks, or rows that are just better(Grand Cru). And that elevating these sections in an old world fashion-no fining, no enzymes, no cold soaks, significant amounts of stems to provide a finer (and firmer) quality to the tannins, and letting the wines evolve in the cellar for a longer period(19-21 months typically) allows these sections to show their class without relying on ripeness, extraction, and sweet oak influence(the Heritage wines, except the #5, see a significant amount of new wood, but it’s all 500 Liter puncheons produced from staves from tight grain forests, seasoned for 3 years and coopered with a moderate toast.

(Deep breath in...)

I often joke that I make wines for Negroni drinkers, but there’s a lot of truth in that joke too. These are very complete wines, including a serious commitment to tannins, savory nuances, and bitterness a la the Negroni.

Regarding them being wines for the cellar, my best metaphor is that Mozart’s most refined work was in the years before his death, but he was remarkable at an early age as well. Like many classic Pinot Noir, I would expect a solid drinking window on the Heritage wines around age 5 for the #5 and around 7-9 for the #4 and #6.
Wow! Thanks Marcus - love Campari with my juniper - and big second on on the WV wines qpr - with the 14 WV Pinot on the shelf here in CO it has become the house wine!

Are you still making the white wine Deiss style - just enjoyed the 2014 on the special case offer from a couple years ago - fantastic wine and qpr as well!

Marcus Goodfellow
Posts: 1284
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#21 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 27th, 2018, 12:02 pm

C Prince wrote:In for two 6 packs of the chard....now that we know the Goodfellow section of the wine cellar will be replenished, it's safe to open one tonight. [basic-smile.gif] Thank you Marcus!
If you open the 2012 Richard’s let me know how it’s showing? I wound up with an overly modest library(2 cases of magnums and 8-9 Btls)

...and the 14s are showing beautifully. Perfect time to open one of them.

Marcus Goodfellow
Posts: 1284
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#22 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 27th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Bill Mauger wrote:
Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
Bill Mauger wrote:Order in for the Rick Allen and The Griswold - looking for a bit more color on the Heritage wines - what makes them so different from the regular bottlings from those vineyards and so much more ageable? Afraid they will outlive me as Marcus is much younger than me!
:) the Heritage wines WILL live for 20 years, but they don’t need to. I open the # 4 in the TR all the time so I can take it home(and that’s coming from someone who likes drinking other peoples wines and Heater Allen beers when the work day is done).

These wines really represent the idea that within good Oregon vineyards(say 1er Cru quality) there are sections, blocks, or rows that are just better(Grand Cru). And that elevating these sections in an old world fashion-no fining, no enzymes, no cold soaks, significant amounts of stems to provide a finer (and firmer) quality to the tannins, and letting the wines evolve in the cellar for a longer period(19-21 months typically) allows these sections to show their class without relying on ripeness, extraction, and sweet oak influence(the Heritage wines, except the #5, see a significant amount of new wood, but it’s all 500 Liter puncheons produced from staves from tight grain forests, seasoned for 3 years and coopered with a moderate toast.

(Deep breath in...)

I often joke that I make wines for Negroni drinkers, but there’s a lot of truth in that joke too. These are very complete wines, including a serious commitment to tannins, savory nuances, and bitterness a la the Negroni.

Regarding them being wines for the cellar, my best metaphor is that Mozart’s most refined work was in the years before his death, but he was remarkable at an early age as well. Like many classic Pinot Noir, I would expect a solid drinking window on the Heritage wines around age 5 for the #5 and around 7-9 for the #4 and #6.
Wow! Thanks Marcus - love Campari with my juniper - and big second on on the WV wines qpr - with the 14 WV Pinot on the shelf here in CO it has become the house wine!

Are you still making the white wine Deiss style - just enjoyed the 2014 on the special case offer from a couple years ago - fantastic wine and qpr as well!
Heck yes, on the Whistling Ridge Blanc!

I need to get together with the folks at Ovum, Bill at Paetra, and Teutonic and see about putting together a Riesling based Willamette Valley case.

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2722
Joined: October 7th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#23 Post by dsGriswold » January 27th, 2018, 12:13 pm

"I need to get together with the folks at Ovum, Bill at Paetra, and Teutonic and see about putting together a Riesling based Willamette Valley case."

Good idea! Been meaning to stop by Teutonic for some PN, Wife loves their Rosé and they should do a terrific Riesling.
DennisG

User avatar
Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2119
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#24 Post by Scott Tallman » January 27th, 2018, 12:48 pm

TKMcWilliamsII wrote:Just e-mailed to order the Rock Allen and the Felthoven. Awesome offer, fantastic wines, great guy - thanks Marcus!
The thought of Rick dropping a people’s elbow, raising his eyebrow, calling someone a jabroni or yelling “Can you smell what the Rick is cooking” is priceless. [rofl.gif]

And Marcus’ wines are top notch. Can’t go wrong with any of the offers. Even if none of them bear my name.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Scott Tallman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2119
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#25 Post by Scott Tallman » January 27th, 2018, 1:04 pm

dsGriswold wrote:"I need to get together with the folks at Ovum, Bill at Paetra, and Teutonic and see about putting together a Riesling based Willamette Valley case."

Good idea! Been meaning to stop by Teutonic for some PN, Wife loves their Rosé and they should do a terrific Riesling.
+1000, but next year when I’m buying again champagne.gif
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Marcus Goodfellow
Posts: 1284
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#26 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 27th, 2018, 1:53 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
TKMcWilliamsII wrote:Just e-mailed to order the Rock Allen and the Felthoven. Awesome offer, fantastic wines, great guy - thanks Marcus!
The thought of Rick dropping a people’s elbow, raising his eyebrow, calling someone a jabroni or yelling “Can you smell what the Rick is cooking” is priceless. [rofl.gif]

And Marcus’ wines are top notch. Can’t go wrong with any of the offers. Even if none of them bear my name.
That’s hilarious!

User avatar
Bill H o o p e r
Posts: 841
Joined: August 12th, 2010, 6:05 am
Location: McMinnville, OR

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#27 Post by Bill H o o p e r » January 27th, 2018, 2:28 pm

dsGriswold wrote:"I need to get together with the folks at Ovum, Bill at Paetra, and Teutonic and see about putting together a Riesling based Willamette Valley case."

Good idea! Been meaning to stop by Teutonic for some PN, Wife loves their Rosé and they should do a terrific Riesling.
Sounds like Y'all need to come to Riesling Invasion/I Love Riesling next year!
Paetrawine.com
Oregon Riesling

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 3475
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#28 Post by Todd Hamina » January 27th, 2018, 2:32 pm

[quote="Scott

The thought of Rick dropping a people’s elbow, raising his eyebrow, calling someone a jabroni or yelling “Can you smell what the Rick is cooking” is priceless. [rofl.gif] .[/quote]

So fine!
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Marcus Goodfellow
Posts: 1284
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#29 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 27th, 2018, 5:51 pm

Thanks everyone for a great Berserker Day!

Such a great event! And hopefully a lot of great wines changing hands.

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26000
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#30 Post by Corey N. » January 27th, 2018, 5:56 pm

For anyone still on the fence, these are great wines made with a very traditonal sensibility.
Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3705
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:13 am
Location: McMinnville, OR

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#31 Post by Rick Allen » January 27th, 2018, 6:03 pm

That's what I get for being out all day! Marcus, I'll be by to pick up some wine...

Marcus Goodfellow
Posts: 1284
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

#32 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 28th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Rick Allen wrote:That's what I get for being out all day! Marcus, I'll be by to pick up some wine...
Or I’ll be heading to your place for Pilsner and Dunkel. I am out...

Post Reply

Return to “BerserkerDay IX (January 27, 2018 - it was a doozy!)”