Seattle Restaurants Recommendation

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#51 Post by Ron Slye » October 17th, 2017, 7:47 pm

P. Willenberg wrote:Go to happy hour at Taylor Shellfish.
Yes, that is a good suggestion. Also up in Capitol Hill. You could go there and then to Sitka and Spruce right next door.

BluAcre also has a pretty good happy hour, though Taylor is better i think. Though you should know that Taylor will not have a wide selection of other food other than oysters and perhaps a few other pieces of seafood.

P. Willenberg

#52 Post by P. Willenberg » October 18th, 2017, 8:57 am

true and their non oyster dishes are just OK, depending on the cook that day. get a dz oysters, move along.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

JYoung
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by JYoung » October 18th, 2017, 11:37 am

Note also that you're here during Seattle Restaurant Week, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your perspective. Here's a list of participating restaurants and their menus: https://srw.seattletimes.com/
jason

Nolan E

#54 Post by Nolan E » October 18th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Brian Jeffrey wrote:In the wake of the wine country fires, I feel somewhat guilty posting this restaurant review. That said, Spinasse was a home run—an all timer. Two mini pasta dishes were each more than memorable. The beef cheeks entre over a celery purée was so good I could have easily ordered and eaten 3 more. Whoever steered me in that direction, my hat’s off to you
If California fires have you feeling sheepish about posting things you enjoy, don't read world news. Any day.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Brandon R

#55 Post by Brandon R » October 19th, 2017, 8:44 am

Has anyone been to Assagio Ristorante recently? I remember having a very, very good expeirence there years and years ago, but I haven't been since. I walked by it yesterday and, frankly, forgot about it. I'd love to hear any first-hand experiences.

The story above was such a fond memory. My (now) wife and I (then girlfriend) were going out for a "splurge" dinner at the Metropolitan Grill. I was very new in my career and had no business dropping that kind of money on dinner, but we love great food and wine, so we were treating oursevles. We showed up only to find someone standing out front telling patrons that the restaurant had to unexpectedly close for the night (I can't remember the exact reason...electricity or gas or something). We were so sad. I'm not sure how, but we ended up at Assagio. It was packed and we obviously didn't have a reservation. We were treated so warmly, and they said, "Just give us a few minutes." They pulled a small two-person table out, set it in a corner, and treated us like royalty. I'm sure that affected the food, but it was delicious as I recall.

I hope it's still good and doing well in this competitive market.
B. Redman

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Mark Y » October 19th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Brandon R wrote:Has anyone been to Assagio Ristorante recently? I remember having a very, very good expeirence there years and years ago, but I haven't been since. I walked by it yesterday and, frankly, forgot about it. I'd love to hear any first-hand experiences.

The story above was such a fond memory. My (now) wife and I (then girlfriend) were going out for a "splurge" dinner at the Metropolitan Grill. I was very new in my career and had no business dropping that kind of money on dinner, but we love great food and wine, so we were treating oursevles. We showed up only to find someone standing out front telling patrons that the restaurant had to unexpectedly close for the night (I can't remember the exact reason...electricity or gas or something). We were so sad. I'm not sure how, but we ended up at Assagio. It was packed and we obviously didn't have a reservation. We were treated so warmly, and they said, "Just give us a few minutes." They pulled a small two-person table out, set it in a corner, and treated us like royalty. I'm sure that affected the food, but it was delicious as I recall.

I hope it's still good and doing well in this competitive market.
Been twice and loved it, but also 5+ years ago. I remember having a Cantina Del Pino Barbaresco Ovello for $76. not sure why that sticks out so much.
Y.e.

Brandon R

#57 Post by Brandon R » October 20th, 2017, 8:26 am

That's good to hear, Mark. I mentioned this to my wife last night, and she reminded me that Metropolitan Grill was closed due to structural damage from the Nisqually earthquake! So, I haven't been in 16 years!!! Boy, was I off. I'm glad to hear it's still good.
B. Redman

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Mark Y » October 20th, 2017, 4:35 pm

The steak house Met grill? It’s still open! :).
Y.e.

Scott G r u n e r

#59 Post by Scott G r u n e r » October 22nd, 2017, 8:52 am

Mark Y wrote:The steak house Met grill? It’s still open! :).
It has been closed much of the past year for remodel, but is either back open or close to re-opening now. Too lazy to check which....
//Cynic

Brandon R

#60 Post by Brandon R » October 23rd, 2017, 10:35 am

I know it's still open. I've been quite a bit since 2001, the last time being late 2016.
B. Redman

David Cooper

#61 Post by David Cooper » November 13th, 2017, 9:31 am

Different opinion on Assagio but it was a while ago. We stayed at the Andra when it opened and decided to have a dinner there. The service and wine were great but the food was mediocre at best. Also the chef/owner was the type of guy who wandered around the room bugging everybody.

Has anyone been to Lakehouse, Jason Wilson's new place?

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Seattle Restaurants Recommendation

#62 Post by G. Keeler » November 19th, 2018, 6:42 pm

My wife and I are heading up to Seattle the first week of December. Where is the best place for Dungeness Crab? Is December a good time for Dungeness?
G L E N N

C Wagner

#63 Post by C Wagner » November 20th, 2018, 10:51 am

Yeah, I think it's generally a perfect time as the crabbing season is basically Nov/Dec here.

If you're just going to be in Seattle proper you could look at Cutters Crabhouse, Taylor Shellfish (known for oysters but good crab too), Elliotts Oyster House, but the differences won't be super noticeable. Personally, I'd look for a wine list and an atmosphere you like.

If you're venturing out of town a bit, there are places up near Chuckanut Drive south of Bellingham and a over on the Olympic Peninsula/Coast.
Chris

TR Barry
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by TR Barry » November 20th, 2018, 12:05 pm

David Cooper wrote:
November 13th, 2017, 9:31 am
Has anyone been to Lakehouse, Jason Wilson's new place?
Have not personally had a chance to dine there but have heard good things through friends. If you're doing dinner he also opened a bar called Civility & Unrest at the same location that has some nice cocktail options. Please report back if you do dine at Lakehouse.
Todd- Lost In The White Room

EricE

#65 Post by EricE » November 20th, 2018, 1:35 pm

G. Keeler wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 6:42 pm
My wife and I are heading up to Seattle the first week of December. Where is the best place for Dungeness Crab? Is December a good time for Dungeness?
The commercial Dungeness season for WA & OR won’t open until Dec 15 at best and most likely not until after Jan 1. Any “fresh” whole cook crab you would see would most likely be coming from Northern CA. The local natives are allowed to fish right now but most of those crab are going to the live market.

In my opinion your best bet is to find a place that has live tanks and purchase live crab and have them prepared on site. To me the whole cook chilled dungeness, although still very good, is not even close to as good freshly cooked. Not sure if you’re planning on venturing to Pike’s Place but there’s a hole in the wall spot called Jack’s Fish Spot. It is a little “rustic” but they have live crab there that they will prepare for you. Another alternative that would have live crab but more along the lines of fine dining would be the Palisades. Overall the food is ok but the resturant has a great view.

If you don’t care about getting fresh live crab the above suggestions are solid.
Est3nson

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 20th, 2018, 1:51 pm

This time of year, I’d hit up Taylor’s Shellfish. There’s one next to Melrose Market (half block from the Starbucks high-end experience).

https://www.taylorshellfishfarms.com/lo ... ll-melrose
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

David Cooper

#67 Post by David Cooper » November 20th, 2018, 8:53 pm

Yes Taylor's. There are Other great restaurants nearby like Sitka and Spruce and Stateside.

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by G. Keeler » December 17th, 2018, 11:48 am

We ended up at Taylors and it hit the spot. We shared a spread of oysters, crab and prawns paired with a tasty chard from Walter Scott. Also had a nice dinner at Spinasse (although not as good as previous visits) and Mamnoon.
G L E N N

dteng

#69 Post by dteng » February 23rd, 2019, 6:05 pm

todd waldmann wrote:
May 12th, 2017, 11:06 am
Jim Brennan wrote:Went to Spinasse last night and it was fantastic. This thread was a huge help.

Almost 2 years later, my now 12 year old still periodically reminds us of how good their Tajarin with butter is. [cheers.gif]
Went last night.
Wowzers!!
Amazing tajarin - also absolutely loved the Capunet, swiss chard wrapped beef/pork.
Great Italian reds by the glass.

How to Cook a Wolf was also great but their wines by the glass were surprisingly pedestrian.
Dan

dteng

#70 Post by dteng » February 23rd, 2019, 6:05 pm

Oh and two visits to Dahlia Bakery - creme brûlée is stupid good.
Dan

todd waldmann

#71 Post by todd waldmann » February 26th, 2019, 3:13 pm

dteng wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 6:05 pm
todd waldmann wrote:
May 12th, 2017, 11:06 am
Jim Brennan wrote:Went to Spinasse last night and it was fantastic. This thread was a huge help.

Almost 2 years later, my now 12 year old still periodically reminds us of how good their Tajarin with butter is. [cheers.gif]
Went last night.
Wowzers!!
Amazing tajarin - also absolutely loved the Capunet, swiss chard wrapped beef/pork.
Great Italian reds by the glass.

How to Cook a Wolf was also great but their wines by the glass were surprisingly pedestrian.
Excellent about Cascina Spinasse, Dan!
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Andrew Kotowski » February 26th, 2019, 3:54 pm

dteng wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 6:05 pm
Oh and two visits to Dahlia Bakery - creme brûlée is stupid good.
Donut holes are absurdly expensive there/Dahlia Lounge, but if you're looking for a late night dessert, I'm a huge fan.

Gary Schulte
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Gary Schulte » March 3rd, 2019, 6:03 am

Anyone been to the tapas restaurant Pintxo Seattle?..........http://www.pintxoseattle.com . What did you think of their food and wine list?

David Cooper

#74 Post by David Cooper » March 3rd, 2019, 8:45 am

I have not, it used to be owned by the couple who owned the Harvest Vine. It has been around for a long time and I have heard good things. Belltown is a very competitive restaurant neighborhood.

If you are looking for great Basque/Spanish food the Harvest Vine is really good and they have a great wine list.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Andrew Kotowski » March 3rd, 2019, 2:04 pm

David Cooper wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 8:45 am
I have not, it used to be owned by the couple who owned the Harvest Vine. It has been around for a long time and I have heard good things. Belltown is a very competitive restaurant neighborhood.

If you are looking for great Basque/Spanish food the Harvest Vine is really good and they have a great wine list.
Was fantastic and then the couple that owned it got a divorce (see above). Haven’t been back since, but if they’ve got their act together again, I’d make the drive from the 425.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”