San Diego help

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#1 Post by Jay Carroll » February 25th, 2014, 5:38 am

Visiting my daughter at the end of March, staying in Coronado. Looking to take her to one nice meal- would like something in the Cali cuisine category. I am not sure what that means!!

Also she loves sushi- suggestions?

Great burger- suggestions?

And last- Mexican- suggestions?

Looking to stay pretty close to this area or downtown.

Thanks! [cheers.gif]
I am just a cowboy lonesome on the trail
Lord, I'm just thinking about a certain female

Brett Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#2 Post by Brett Johnson » February 25th, 2014, 10:29 am

Jay Carroll wrote:Visiting my daughter at the end of March, staying in Coronado. Looking to take her to one nice meal- would like something in the Cali cuisine category. I am not sure what that means!!

Also she loves sushi- suggestions? - SUSHI OTA, make a reservation. About a 15-20 min drive to PB from the island.

Great burger- suggestions?

And last- Mexican- suggestions? LOTS of options here, but if you're staying in Coronado, then head to Barrio Logan (underneath the bridge). LAS QUATROS MILPAS has been there forever; expect lines, bring cash, and parking is somewhat of a drag, but the fresh tortillas and carnitas makes up for it. SUPER COCINA in Normal Heights is about a 15 min drive from Coronado and is another SD institution. Neither of these are fancy, just down-home Mexican food. Do not go to Old Town.

Looking to stay pretty close to this area or downtown.

Thanks! [cheers.gif]

S. Reynolds

San Diego help

#3 Post by S. Reynolds » February 25th, 2014, 12:10 pm

Big +1 on Sushi Ota and Quatros Milpas. Those were my first thoughts. Neither are fancy though for "one nice meal." (Ota is between a 7-11 and Planned Parenthood in a strip mall next to some car dealerships... but nice inside.) I second not going to Old Town. If I remember, Charlie had a downtown sushi place he thought rivaled Ota in another thread about eating in San Diego.

Nobu has a nice location for Japanese/sushi in the Hard Rock Hotel downtown. It's upscale and the food is good but it is just like the rest of the chain, so not particularly unique if you've been to another Nobu.
S p e n c e r

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

San Diego help

#4 Post by c fu » February 25th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Ota could be fancy for a one nice meal if you do omakase at the sushi bar.

Here are the other two sushi places I recommend.
Shirahama Sushi (must make reservations in advance for sushi bar) http://www.yelp.com/biz/sushi-dokoro-sh ... -san-diego
http://www.yelp.com/biz/kaito-sushi-encinitas

Both are not cheap if you go omakase.

TOTALLY GO TO SUPER COCINA. Place is awesome. You can ask to taste anything thy have on display.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Roberto Rogness

San Diego help

#5 Post by Roberto Rogness » February 25th, 2014, 1:07 pm

Is Candelas in the Gas Lamp District still open? AMAZING Mexican Haute Cuisine (NOT tacos and burritos).
ITB Retail
É prohibido prohibir!

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#6 Post by Jay Carroll » February 25th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Thanks for the reco's- Ota looks like it will be one dinner. Not Omakase though, I do not think my daughter would appreciate, but maybe. Any idea what it might $$$.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

San Diego help

#7 Post by c fu » February 25th, 2014, 3:06 pm

$80-100 a person for omakase. Otherwise ordering off the menu is typical sushi pricing.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

San Diego help

#8 Post by c fu » February 25th, 2014, 3:07 pm

One nice meal. Check out places in la jolla for Cali cuisine.

Nine ten
George's modern.

Or in dt San Diego you have
Searsucker
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Z. Hu

San Diego help

#9 Post by Z. Hu » February 25th, 2014, 8:43 pm

If you are staying in Coronado on a Sunday, the Brunch at the Hotel Del is pretty awesome. Not cheap but worth it.
Z H l

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#10 Post by Alan Rath » February 27th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Roberto Rogness wrote:Is Candelas in the Gas Lamp District still open? AMAZING Mexican Haute Cuisine (NOT tacos and burritos).
Their web site says it is, and in fact shows a restaurant in Coronado. Been about 10 years since we went to the one in Gas Lamp. I remember it being good, but not blown away.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#11 Post by Jay Carroll » February 27th, 2014, 4:16 pm

What about Oscars Mexican Seafood?? Good seafood taco?

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#12 Post by Alan Rath » February 27th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Z. Hu wrote:If you are staying in Coronado on a Sunday, the Brunch at the Hotel Del is pretty awesome. Not cheap but worth it.
Or just go out on the deck, get a burger and a beer (or Bloody Mary) and watch the waves roll in on the beach :)

Brett Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#13 Post by Brett Johnson » February 27th, 2014, 5:04 pm

Jay Carroll wrote:What about Oscars Mexican Seafood?? Good seafood taco?
Oscar's is very solid for fish and shrimp tacos; it will be slammed.

But, my favorite fish taco (grilled, not Baja style) is at South Beach in OB.

S. Reynolds

San Diego help

#14 Post by S. Reynolds » February 27th, 2014, 8:01 pm

I'm curious about the "great burger" question myself. I can't think of any really good burger joints in San Diego.
S p e n c e r

Z. Hu

San Diego help

#15 Post by Z. Hu » February 27th, 2014, 9:48 pm

In and Out! just kidding....Prep Kitchen has a decent burger that I like but I always feel homemade burgers are just better.
Z H l

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#16 Post by Jay Carroll » February 28th, 2014, 3:57 am

I have never had an In and Out. Have read much about it here. Will give it a whirl. Isn't there some secret to ordering ?

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

San Diego help

#17 Post by c fu » February 28th, 2014, 9:34 am

Jay Carroll wrote:I have never had an In and Out. Have read much about it here. Will give it a whirl. Isn't there some secret to ordering ?
neighborhood in DT san diego has a pretty damn good burger too.

No secret to ordering, but if you want to see off menu combos you can easily google it. I doubt you'd be blown away by in n out
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#18 Post by M.Kaplan » February 28th, 2014, 10:50 am

Charlie Fu wrote:
Jay Carroll wrote:I have never had an In and Out. Have read much about it here. Will give it a whirl. Isn't there some secret to ordering ?
neighborhood in DT san diego has a pretty damn good burger too.

No secret to ordering, but if you want to see off menu combos you can easily google it. I doubt you'd be blown away by in n out
This^. Neighborhood has good burgers and a very good beer list, with rotating handles. http://www.neighborhoodsd.com/index.php
---Mark

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#19 Post by Alan Rath » February 28th, 2014, 10:53 am

You might as well try an InO just to get it off your list. Lots of people swear by it, for me it's a run-of-the-mill fast food burger, though done pretty well. There was another thread a year ago on fast food burgers, check that out.

One of the quintessential Mexican taco stands is Robertos, in particular the Ocean Beach location. You can do a lot worse than a Carne Asada burrito (with guac), and three rolled tacos with guac. Pretty sure I've eaten about 300 orders of those ;) Not that it's spectacular Mexican food, just a bit of a legend in the area. I wouldn't go out of my way to make the stop.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

San Diego help

#20 Post by c fu » February 28th, 2014, 11:03 am

Also if anyone tells you to go to El Indio for Mexican food in san diego, ignore their food advice for the rest of your life.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#21 Post by Jay Carroll » February 28th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Alan- will check it off the list. I did read the thread on burgers. Not a fan of 5 guys, or smashburger- they're ok.

Charlie- haven't heard of that place!!! And duly noted!!!

Z. Hu

San Diego help

#22 Post by Z. Hu » February 28th, 2014, 11:03 pm

Jay: Carne Asada Fries
Z H l

S. Reynolds

San Diego help

#23 Post by S. Reynolds » March 1st, 2014, 3:15 pm

Alan Rath wrote:You might as well try an InO just to get it off your list. Lots of people swear by it, for me it's a run-of-the-mill fast food burger, though done pretty well. There was another thread a year ago on fast food burgers, check that out.

One of the quintessential Mexican taco stands is Robertos, in particular the Ocean Beach location. You can do a lot worse than a Carne Asada burrito (with guac), and three rolled tacos with guac. Pretty sure I've eaten about 300 orders of those ;) Not that it's spectacular Mexican food, just a bit of a legend in the area. I wouldn't go out of my way to make the stop.
Roberto's is great and a fun place to eat at, the Del Mar location at least. I didn't know they had a downtown spot.

El Indio isn't that bad... it's a lot better than most of what we can get out here in the midwest. It's just blown out of the water by competition in San Diego.

I could really go for a California burrito right now. (http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/what ... -food.html for the uninitiated.)
S p e n c e r

Scott Sutherland

San Diego help

#24 Post by Scott Sutherland » March 1st, 2014, 9:59 pm

My favorite Mexican place for lunch is Porkyland in La Jolla. I've yet to find equally good al pastor tacos in California. Worlds best name as well :)

You could make a day of it in La Jolla -- Porkyland for lunch and then you could hit up one of the fancy restaurants on Prospect for dinner like Charlie mentioned. Views are tough to beat.

La Jolla's not too far from downtown -- 15 or 20 minutes.

Scott

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#25 Post by Alan Rath » March 2nd, 2014, 9:34 pm

Charlie Fu wrote:Also if anyone tells you to go to El Indio for Mexican food in san diego, ignore their food advice for the rest of your life.
Ha! Well, as a college student, I did eat a LOT of chicken burritos there. Cheap and very filling. But I haven't been back in probably 30 years. Can't say what it's like now, but back then it was edible, though not memorable. Still, it's a landmark in the area. Sometimes it's not just the food, it's the scene, ya know? ;)

BTW, they renovated the old SD police headquarters, next to Seaport Village. Couple of new restaurants in there, including a somewhat "upscale" Mexican place that's not bad.

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#26 Post by Jay Carroll » March 3rd, 2014, 8:15 am

I have Sushi Ito and George's Ocean Terrace lined up- thanks! I get in late friday afternoon and I think we will hit Neighborhood for a bite-pretty sure I will be starving. Will check out a couple of the Mex places mentioned - but not El Indio neener .

I am packing one of those 24oz Flannery strips to have Saturday night at my daughters, a couple bottles will be in my luggage! Then we hit Coronado.

Just in case- wine shops in SD????

Charlie- I know its your fave- we will be headed up to the OC mid week - having dinner at Playground...I love salt... [wow.gif]

Thanks for the reccos.

Jay

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#27 Post by mark rudner » March 3rd, 2014, 8:21 am

"Roberto's is great and a fun place to eat at, the Del Mar location at least. I didn't know they had a downtown spot."

i lived in del mar in 1987. roberto's was an almost daily stop for carne asada burritos. seem to recall it was a little further north, like solana, but it was a loooong time ago for sure.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

San Diego help

#28 Post by c fu » March 3rd, 2014, 9:40 am

Jay Carroll wrote:I have Sushi Ito and George's Ocean Terrace lined up- thanks! I get in late friday afternoon and I think we will hit Neighborhood for a bite-pretty sure I will be starving. Will check out a couple of the Mex places mentioned - but not El Indio neener .

I am packing one of those 24oz Flannery strips to have Saturday night at my daughters, a couple bottles will be in my luggage! Then we hit Coronado.

Just in case- wine shops in SD????

Charlie- I know its your fave- we will be headed up to the OC mid week - having dinner at Playground...I love salt... [wow.gif]

Thanks for the reccos.

Jay
hehe

wine shops.

San Diego Wine Company and Vintage Wines are right next to each other off Miramar. They are the best priced wines in your "area". Definitely stop there. It's about 15 minutes north of the airport, but I think it's a good place to stop by.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Jeff Twersky

San Diego help

#29 Post by Jeff Twersky » March 3rd, 2014, 9:54 am

Haven't lived in SD for a long time, and I still crave Quatros Milpas. The tortillas. The chorizo con huevos.

If you are interested in dessert, go to Extraordinary Desserts.

The Wine Bank, in the Gaslamp, used to be a good wine store.

Ryan Kilkenney
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#30 Post by Ryan Kilkenney » March 14th, 2014, 12:26 pm

I thought I'd post here since folks seems to have thoroughly answered the OP's question. I'm staying in Carlsbad the first week of April and looking for dinner options: probably one night out just my wife and me, with the kids (3 & 5) otherwise. My wife doesn't eat sushi, and we've got our share of good Mexican in Chicago. Our hotel suggested PAON, Vigiluccis, Cucina Enoteca. Thoughts on these? Better suggestions? Thanks.

Otto Dobre
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#31 Post by Otto Dobre » March 15th, 2014, 9:22 pm

In Carlsbad, Paon is solid. About 15 minutes south you have Market in Solana Beach or Addison in DelMar.

Scott Sutherland

San Diego help

#32 Post by Scott Sutherland » March 16th, 2014, 10:29 pm

I thought Vigiluccis was only ok.

We liked a place called Union. Sort of an upscale taproom. Mediocre mixed drinks but very good food. It's in Encinitas.

We took our kids to Blue Ribbon Pizza -- also in Encinitas. I thought it was solid but my folks who live there swear it's not as good as it used to be :)

I was there last week and went to Fish 101 which is sort of a super low key locals place in Leucadia. Great fresh fish stuff. Not sushi. Definitely taking the kids next time.

My wife and I ate alone at the Pacific Coast Grill in Cardiff. Food was good but man the view was outrageously awesome.

Scott

Howard Roselinsky

San Diego help

#33 Post by Howard Roselinsky » March 25th, 2014, 7:41 pm

Ryan, check out Solace in Encinitas, farm-to-table.

As for kids, go to the Bressi Ranch version of Pizza Port. Local beer, interesting pizzas, some video games. Did I mention local beer?

Howard

Ryan Kilkenney
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#34 Post by Ryan Kilkenney » March 25th, 2014, 10:13 pm

Thanks guys.

Howard: local beer is VERY important. Societe and Alpine are my Legoland. Cheers.

Z. Hu

San Diego help

#35 Post by Z. Hu » March 25th, 2014, 10:55 pm

I'd 2nd Market and Addison for fine dining. Pizza port is nice for beer but I think their pizza is horrible...stone brewery is only about 10 miles away from where you are staying too. Societe isn't that close to Carlsbad but it might be worth it to visit. Green flash is not too far from societe either.
Z H l

harold trimmer

San Diego help

#36 Post by harold trimmer » March 26th, 2014, 2:44 pm

If you're craving beer, Lost Abbey is relatively close to Carlsbad and Cucina Enoteca is supposed to be very good. It's the same people that are behind Cucina Urbana near downtown San Diego and that place is quite tasty. That said you can't beet Market or Addison.

Joe W i n o g r a d

San Diego help

#37 Post by Joe W i n o g r a d » March 29th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Juniper and Ivy is the hottest new restaurant in town

I also l endorse Cucina Enoteca which is downtown (and has been described in some other threads on WB)

Nancy Dolce
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#38 Post by Nancy Dolce » March 30th, 2014, 12:31 pm

Hoping to hear reports from all of the visitors to our lovely corner of the planet. No extra charge for the shakes from the quake up north.
Nancy Dolce
North San Diego County

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#39 Post by Jay Carroll » March 30th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Sushi Ota tonight :)

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#40 Post by Jay Carroll » March 30th, 2014, 9:20 pm

Ok I'll post some notes later, but we had the omakase menu, fantastic. Might be in the top 3 sushi ever!!

100 a person worth every penny !!

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

San Diego help

#41 Post by c fu » March 30th, 2014, 10:04 pm

Jay Carroll wrote:Ok I'll post some notes later, but we had the omakase menu, fantastic. Might be in the top 3 sushi ever!!

100 a person worth every penny !!
There ya go omakase is the into way to go :)
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#42 Post by Jay Carroll » March 30th, 2014, 10:22 pm

Impecably fresh, in fact my daughter was a bit freaked that the legs were still moving on the prawn when we had with one course !

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#43 Post by Jay Carroll » March 31st, 2014, 5:16 pm

Omakase menu from last night.

Halibut sashimi with vinegar gellee, micro greens. Kind of an amuse.
Sashimi - otoro, amberjack, prawn, uni in shell
Monkfish liver, king mackerel with orange miso, sardine cracker with uni/cod roe
Shrimp head in miso soup.
Tempura- prawn with almond, okra, shiso leaf
Nigiri- otoro, hamachi belly, needlefish, uni, 2 small maki- one tuna, one mountain yam.
Fried needlefish bone

Ordered sake - was really fantastic. Thanks for the rec!

My daughter kept notes on what we were having. Have to say she really stepped up, her idea of sushi used to be a California roll. She wasn't crazy about the monkfish liver- but enjoyed everything else !

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#44 Post by Jay Carroll » April 2nd, 2014, 9:12 am

Dinner at George's Ocean Terrace. Food was fine- but the view pretty spectacular ! We enjoyed a bottle of 2010 Ceritas Porter Bass that I had in tow!

Be at the Playground tonight at 7!

Nancy Dolce
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#45 Post by Nancy Dolce » April 2nd, 2014, 8:59 pm

Not at the Playground with Dietzi and Selman perchance?
Nancy Dolce
North San Diego County

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#46 Post by Jay Carroll » April 3rd, 2014, 8:18 am

Ran into Jim and Jay - a pleasure to meet them. We were finishing our dinner- they were done with the 2.0 thing. Have to get back and drink some wine!!

Playground was very good. We shared apps of asparagus and one artichoke. Then had the pork chop and Lou's chicken. Both were excellent. Was on salt alert- but found the dishes to be well seasoned, but not over seasoned. My only slight negative was the pacing of the dishes. But a good spot, bit of a hipster vibe, very knowledgable server, no corkage.

jdietz

San Diego help

#47 Post by jdietz » April 3rd, 2014, 10:18 am

Jay Carroll wrote:Ran into Jim and Jay - a pleasure to meet them. We were finishing our dinner- they were done with the 2.0 thing. Have to get back and drink some wine!!

Playground was very good. We shared apps of asparagus and one artichoke. Then had the pork chop and Lou's chicken. Both were excellent. Was on salt alert- but found the dishes to be well seasoned, but not over seasoned. My only slight negative was the pacing of the dishes. But a good spot, bit of a hipster vibe, very knowledgable server, no corkage.
Don't wait 41 years to come back, Jay, or I'm pretty sure I won't be here to greet you then, barring a miracle advance in science.

The two of you had a LOT of food. Hopefully, some of that made it home with your lovely daughter. I'm glad it was a good experience for you. For us locals, PG gets a bit of a workout. I find they are usually on target with their dishes, and I've not had the "salt issue" as often as others (to remain unnamed), but, yes, they are not afraid of bold flavors. The pasta dishes can be sublime.

It was great to meet you and Erin, if only briefly. Safe travels, until we meet again.
Cheers, James

DTB

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

San Diego help

#48 Post by c fu » April 3rd, 2014, 10:28 am

Cause you guys are old and your taste buds have deadened :p

The pork chop and chicken are never salty
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#49 Post by Jay Carroll » April 3rd, 2014, 11:27 am

Lots of leftovers for tonight...at In-n-out right now....my first time.

And yes we are old....but so damn good looking!! :o :)

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

San Diego help

#50 Post by Jay Carroll » April 3rd, 2014, 12:49 pm

And thanks to all for the suggestions! They were all excellent

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”