Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Sarah Kirschbaum

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2551 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » October 6th, 2020, 5:12 am

mark rudner wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 1:25 pm
doug johnson wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 8:50 pm
Ate at Casa Mono tonight. Borderline awful.
i think i've been there 50+ times but not since february
that's terrible news doug
Mark - We were there for lunch last week and did not find it anything like awful. It was not out of this world, or someplace I'd send a fellow foodie, but the dishes we ordered were tasty and just fine. The wine list has some excellent choices, though it is very expensive. We enjoyed our time there, with very pleasant staff and a couple of bottles. My expectations were not high, given I didn't even know it was still in business, so I wasn't bothered by some heavy-handedness. Perhaps nostalgia helped.
Last edited by Sarah Kirschbaum on October 11th, 2020, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2552 Post by Robert Dentice » October 11th, 2020, 5:52 am

Ok three big ones!

Another stunning meal at Jua my favorite restaurant of the moment!

Fradei - How the heck did I miss this! Opened in late 2018. A small Italian joint in Fort Greene helmed by two Chef's who last worked at none other than Septime, one of my favorite restaurants in the world!

Aska - And Aska is back and offering lunch! Nothing makes me happier than a long leisurely lunch with massive amounts of riesling! We felt like we were on vacation in Paris or Copenhagen. Funnily even though indoor dining is allowed they set us with a special table in the garden. Magical!!!!!

ITB - source | material

Dillon S

#2553 Post by Dillon S » October 11th, 2020, 6:12 am

doug johnson wrote:
I really hope this was a one-off thing. I've eaten here roughly a dozen times, and always loved it. Always loved the authenticity of the dishes, found the pricing to be somewhat fair, and thought they had an amazing selection of Spanish wines. The last time I was here was late January, right after I left the BBWO (Barolo Barbaresco World Open) to be exact, and had a great time.
$ i f l i n g 3 r

Ramon C

#2554 Post by Ramon C » October 11th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Dillon S wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 6:12 am
doug johnson wrote:
I really hope this was a one-off thing. I've eaten here roughly a dozen times, and always loved it. Always loved the authenticity of the dishes, found the pricing to be somewhat fair, and thought they had an amazing selection of Spanish wines. The last time I was here was late January, right after I left the BBWO (Barolo Barbaresco World Open) to be exact, and had a great time.
Wife and I had outdoor-dining dinner about a-month-and-a-half ago. Very nice service, with state-mandated Covid ambiance and sanitary-requirements obviously adhered-to and seriously attended to. Wife and I were a little starved with fine restaurant service since we've stayed indoors since early March, and Casa Mono hit our wheel spot.

Ordered 6 shared dishes and stuck mostly with familiar ones we've had over the years since it opened. The Egg Duck Mojama and Black truffles, the Razor Clams a la Plantxa and Oxtail-stuffed peppers were on point.

A cool and solid neighborhood Spanish spot and, given the circumstances, which we hope will stay that way. We will be back, but still no indoors-dining for us (even as the state had allowed limited indoors capacity).
@brera

Dillon S

#2555 Post by Dillon S » October 11th, 2020, 1:57 pm

Ramon C wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 1:50 pm
Dillon S wrote:
doug johnson wrote:
Wife and I had outdoor-dining dinner about a-month-and-a-half ago. Very nice service, with state-mandated Covid ambiance and sanitary-requirements obviously adhered-to and seriously attended to. Wife and I were a little starved with fine restaurant service since we've stayed indoors since early March, and Casa Mono hit our wheel spot.

Ordered 6 shared dishes and stuck mostly with familiar ones we've had over the years since it opened. The Egg Duck Mojama and Black truffles, the Razor Clams a la Plantxa and Oxtail-stuffed peppers were on point.

A cool and solid neighborhood Spanish spot and, given the circumstances, which we hope will stay that way. We will be back, but still no indoors-dining for us (even as the state had allowed limited indoors capacity).
Glad to hear that. The Razor Clams used to be one of my go-to dishes. I need to make a trip back there soon.
$ i f l i n g 3 r

doug johnson

#2556 Post by doug johnson » October 11th, 2020, 7:01 pm

Dillon S wrote:
doug johnson wrote:
I really hope this was a one-off thing.
Maybe it was a 1x poor night, given the various defenses of the restaurant posted.

Only 1 of 6 dishes was good, 1 was ok (duck egg and tuna), and the other 4 were bad, including the razor clams which were grossly rubbery.

The 4 bad dishes were bad for various reasons - poorly cooked (razor clams, eg), extremely oversalted, or poorly conceived (a terrible tuna crudo dish), or some combination of the 3.

The bread was stale and its accompanying olives were insipid.

It was so bad I have a hard time imagining it to be good.

Our server was charming, the outdoor seats were available on a Friday night with short notice, and I found a Ribeira Sacra I like at less than 100% mark up from their generally expensive list - these are the reasons why it was not awful, but only borderline.

Jua the next night was excellent, and Kanoyama a week later had more than decent fish and a nice sake.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2557 Post by Robert Dentice » October 12th, 2020, 7:37 am

doug johnson wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 7:01 pm

Jua the next night was excellent, and Kanoyama a week later had more than decent fish and a nice sake.
Happy you made it to Jua!
ITB - source | material

Sarah Kirschbaum

#2558 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » October 12th, 2020, 8:57 am

doug johnson wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 7:01 pm
Dillon S wrote:
doug johnson wrote:
I really hope this was a one-off thing.
Maybe it was a 1x poor night, given the various defenses of the restaurant posted.

Only 1 of 6 dishes was good, 1 was ok (duck egg and tuna), and the other 4 were bad, including the razor clams which were grossly rubbery.

The 4 bad dishes were bad for various reasons - poorly cooked (razor clams, eg), extremely oversalted, or poorly conceived (a terrible tuna crudo dish), or some combination of the 3.

The bread was stale and its accompanying olives were insipid.

It was so bad I have a hard time imagining it to be good.

Our server was charming, the outdoor seats were available on a Friday night with short notice, and I found a Ribeira Sacra I like at less than 100% mark up from their generally expensive list - these are the reasons why it was not awful, but only borderline.

My goodness, that doesn't sound anything like our experience, though we also thought the bread was poor. We had the razor clams and, while far from the best we've had, they were not rubbery or overcooked. They were well cleaned, too, which is difficult. Nothing was over salted for us. It sounds like someone was way off in the kitchen the night you were there.

I replied not so much to keep up any semblance of defense - I've no doubt your experience was a bad one - but mostly to tell something interesting about bread. I was talking to a friend who runs a restaurant here in Philly, and he said they've been having a terrible time with bread and outdoor dining, especially when it's humid. What is brought to the table quickly loses texture, and with all the doors open to their small indoor space for ventilation, what's being cut up inside also has issues quickly. I'm not saying a restaurant shouldn't be able to solve this, only it's interesting to hear what new things they are having to deal with.

doug johnson

#2559 Post by doug johnson » October 12th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Interesting bread anecdote.

Thanks to Robert and you for the Jua rec and +1 rec - it was certainly the best restaurant meal I've had since March! (Which might sound like faint praise but isn't meant to be!!)

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2560 Post by Jay Miller » October 13th, 2020, 6:14 am

I was just checking out the Jua website and I see they are one of those incredibly annoying sites which do not list the menu pricing. Clicking through to reservations shows that they offer a 6 course tasting menu but I have no idea if it costs $50 or $5000.

Can anyone help me out there? Thanks.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2561 Post by Robert Dentice » October 13th, 2020, 6:42 am

Jay Miller wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 6:14 am
I was just checking out the Jua website and I see they are one of those incredibly annoying sites which do not list the menu pricing. Clicking through to reservations shows that they offer a 6 course tasting menu but I have no idea if it costs $50 or $5000.

Can anyone help me out there? Thanks.
Jay - apologies I can't remember the exact amount. I think it is $95-100 for 7 course meal with a $50 supplement for the extra fish in the paella which is enough for 2 people. I think they have priced in between Atoboy and Atomix not sure if this was intentional or not but it fits nicely between those two. Slightly more food and higher end ingredients than Atoboy and less than Atomix.
ITB - source | material

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2562 Post by Jay Miller » October 13th, 2020, 7:45 am

Thanks Robert! Much appreciated.

That's one of my pet peeves with regard to bad restaurant website design (which is the rule rather than the exception). Right after the sites which devote many easily accessible pages to the chef's philosophy but hide the address and phone number.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2563 Post by Robert Dentice » October 13th, 2020, 8:16 am

Jay Miller wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 7:45 am

That's one of my pet peeves with regard to bad restaurant website design (which is the rule rather than the exception). Right after the sites which devote many easily accessible pages to the chef's philosophy but hide the address and phone number.
One of my pet peeves is that it is always a chore just to find out a restaurants hours of operation!
ITB - source | material

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2564 Post by Rodrigo B » October 13th, 2020, 8:36 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 8:16 am
Jay Miller wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 7:45 am

One of my pet peeves is that it is always a chore just to find out a restaurants hours of operation!
Beyond hours of operation, a big big pet peeve of mine is sitting down at 9pm that says they close at 10 only to be rushed by servers telling me that the kitchen closes in 15-20 minutes so I need to place my orders ASAP.

The other big pet peeve is restaurants with big wine programs with no wine list on their site.
B r a g a

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2565 Post by Robert Dentice » October 17th, 2020, 7:57 am

Contra is back! And is as great as ever.

ITB - source | material

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#2566 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » October 19th, 2020, 9:31 am

Thoughts on a downtown lunch spot that can accommodate a small business meeting (outside seating) this week (supposed to be lovely out)?

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2567 Post by mark rudner » October 19th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 7:57 am
Contra is back! And is as great as ever.

tried wildair last weekend (10/10) and they were closed for the week.
i guess they were getting contra ready

Tony C

#2568 Post by Tony C » October 19th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 9:31 am
Thoughts on a downtown lunch spot that can accommodate a small business meeting (outside seating) this week (supposed to be lovely out)?
Wu’s
C @ r u c c !

Ramon C

#2569 Post by Ramon C » October 20th, 2020, 12:25 am

May not be downtown enough, but in Tribeca/Chelsea areas, there is Pastis or Locanda Verde.
@brera

Sarah Kirschbaum

#2570 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » October 20th, 2020, 6:02 am

Back in NYC this past weekend and had another fantastic meal at Jua and a wonderful lunch at Aska. I can't recommend these highly enough!

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#2571 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » October 20th, 2020, 6:14 am

Ramon C wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 12:25 am
May not be downtown enough, but in Tribeca/Chelsea areas, there is Pastis or Locanda Verde.
Was shooting for Pastis but the outside tables are booked at prime lunch hours.
I didn't know the outdoor seating option for LV but that would be great as well!

Ramon C

#2572 Post by Ramon C » October 20th, 2020, 6:09 pm

October 20th, 2020, 6:14 am
Ramon C wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 12:25 am
Was shooting for Pastis but the outside tables are booked at prime lunch hours.
I didn't know the outdoor seating option for LV but that would be great as well!
I work across from LV and always see many outdoor tables set up during day time in non-cold winter weather. Problem is I've not been there since early March as I've WFH since. Google says they're taking reservations, though.

Too bad about Pastis. Had a very nice outdoor dinner a couple of months ago.
@brera

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”