Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2351 Post by Paul Jaouen » February 13th, 2020, 5:23 am

Juliec wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:05 pm
If you all rush, kochi is byob. Probably until next week sometime.
best to check with the restaurant direct on corkage.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2352 Post by Jay Miller » February 13th, 2020, 5:26 am

Peter Kleban wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 3:25 pm
We were at Marea on Jan. 26 as part of a party of eight. Sorry to say, as others have reported here, it was not up to what it's been (we were there about a year ago and that meal was much better). A little more specifically, one appetizer was excellent (I don't recall the name, but it was similar to the Canestrelli which is on the menu now). The fusilli, however, were disappointing, a bit sad and tired, nothing like what they were a year ago. The main was branzino, very good but nothing to write home about. Wines we chose ('15 Produttori Barbaresco, a Tempier Bandol white, and a '17 Negri Ca' Brione Terrazze Retiche di Sondrio were all very good or better).

ed: changed "Marna" (a child of spell check) to Marea, which is where we were. Thanks to the eagle-eyed Jay M!
This is very sad news. It was one of our favorite restaurants.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Juliec

#2353 Post by Juliec » February 13th, 2020, 7:18 am

True that paul. I call the rest all the time before I go (just called kochi last night). I was responding to the posters talking about jua and have a corkage fee. Kochi is getting their license any day now. I didnt get to jua in time. Usually if corkage is 50 the rest has some competitive mid tier wine or cocktail offerings.
hong

Zachary Ross

#2354 Post by Zachary Ross » February 13th, 2020, 8:19 am

Juliec wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 7:18 am
True that paul. I call the rest all the time before I go (just called kochi last night). I was responding to the posters talking about jua and have a corkage fee. Kochi is getting their license any day now. I didnt get to jua in time. Usually if corkage is 50 the rest has some competitive mid tier wine or cocktail offerings.
I asked the board about Jua's liquor license status because I had not heard back from the restaurant, with whom I inquired first. Turns out, last night was the first night with a liquor license! At the moment, their cocktail and wine list is very brief: about 4-5 cocktails, and a total of 12 wines: 4x sparkling, 4x white, 4x red, all available by the glass. I expect that their list will expand in due time.

Food was great! And as Robert said, a steal of a tasting menu at $95 per person (+$30 for truffles added to the jjajangmyeon noodle dish, which we opted for and definitely did not regret).
Iroulégeek.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#2355 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » February 13th, 2020, 11:43 am

Made a reservation for Kissaki.

Has anyone been there?
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2356 Post by Barry L i p t o n » February 13th, 2020, 11:56 am

Had a fabulous hybrid sushi/sashimi meal at Cages Sake Bar. Chef Hiromi seamlessly adapted the brilliant sushi omakase into a mostly sashimi format. I have now been blown away the two times I’ve went, Chef Tomita in the more exclusive back room and Chef Hiromi in the front. While the $95 (12 pieces plus hand roll) set menu may not be quite as exotic as the $180 (18 piece ) menu in back, quality was off the charts in both. If you aren’t tempted by extras, it’s a very reasonable price for this experience.

Thanks to Robert D for steering me this way!

And yes, the sound track was awesome! Something I rarely say.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2357 Post by Robert Dentice » February 14th, 2020, 6:26 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 11:56 am
Had a fabulous hybrid sushi/sashimi meal at Cages Sake Bar. Chef Hiromi seamlessly adapted the brilliant sushi omakase into a mostly sashimi format. I have now been blown away the two times I’ve went, Chef Tomita in the more exclusive back room and Chef Hiromi in the front. While the $95 (12 pieces plus hand roll) set menu may not be quite as exotic as the $180 (18 piece ) menu in back, quality was off the charts in both. If you aren’t tempted by extras, it’s a very reasonable price for this experience.

Thanks to Robert D for steering me this way!

And yes, the sound track was awesome! Something I rarely say.
Barry - so happy you enjoyed it and thanks for the write up as they could use the good PR.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2358 Post by Ethan Abraham » February 15th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Jua question - red burg or is it hearty enough to stand up to a Rhone?

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2359 Post by Robert Dentice » February 16th, 2020, 4:13 am

Ethan Abraham wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 1:35 pm
Jua question - red burg or is it hearty enough to stand up to a Rhone?
I would say no on the Rhone.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2360 Post by Ethan Abraham » February 16th, 2020, 7:12 am

Went with a red burg. 2010, probably could have gone with something a little older. Enjoyed the food though there are some climate issues when it's cold out!

Zachary Ross

#2361 Post by Zachary Ross » February 16th, 2020, 7:31 am

Yeah they could use a temporary winter "airlock" door - it's chilly near the entrance.
Iroulégeek.

davidkong
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2362 Post by davidkong » February 16th, 2020, 8:15 am

Jay Miller wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 5:26 am
Peter Kleban wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 3:25 pm
We were at Marea on Jan. 26 as part of a party of eight. Sorry to say, as others have reported here, it was not up to what it's been (we were there about a year ago and that meal was much better). A little more specifically, one appetizer was excellent (I don't recall the name, but it was similar to the Canestrelli which is on the menu now). The fusilli, however, were disappointing, a bit sad and tired, nothing like what they were a year ago. The main was branzino, very good but nothing to write home about. Wines we chose ('15 Produttori Barbaresco, a Tempier Bandol white, and a '17 Negri Ca' Brione Terrazze Retiche di Sondrio were all very good or better).

ed: changed "Marna" (a child of spell check) to Marea, which is where we were. Thanks to the eagle-eyed Jay M!
This is very sad news. It was one of our favorite restaurants.
I feel similarly. I don’t get as much enjoyment as say a babbo or maialino.
https://glas.vin/
Owner
Somm.ai
Owner

davidkong
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2363 Post by davidkong » February 16th, 2020, 8:19 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 5:16 am
Finally made it to Cafe Altro Paradise. We had an excellent meal that straddled the all day menu and the dinner menu.

A well composed fresh Arugula salad, one of the best Cacio E Pepe dishes that I have ever had followed by the whole dorade from the dinner menu.

Given what a huge fan I am of Chef Ignacio Mattos I can't believe it has taken me this long to try it.

Since they have a lot of geeky Italian selections that I am not familiar with we let the somm pick the wines with some very detailed guidance and he did an excellent job.

Can't wait to go back.
This place is such a great option, always seems to have a spot (not like it’s empty or anything). Estela is so good but harder to get a spot, I find
Owner
Somm.ai
Owner

davidkong
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2364 Post by davidkong » February 16th, 2020, 8:20 am

Joshua Kates wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 6:55 am
With wife and son went to Le Bernadin for lunch. I haven't been to Chef's Table, but best 3 star experience I've had (and I believe over the years I've covered all the other bases--not one to hunt stars per se). Dishes were truly remarkable combination of subtle, exquisite sauces and perfectly (and often barely) cooked and fresh seafood. Striped bass tartare with black truffle reduction was out of this world, for example. Also, while the space is gorgeous and serene, the staff on the whole are quite friendly and welcoming. The one drawback is no outside wine at all--would have gladly paid $90-100 to bring my own bottle. The 2015 Roulot Auxey Duresse@$190 was not a terrible deal, however (about double current price) and it was a lovely drink in itself and especially with the food. (Great with the monkfish in bacon jus!) Definitely recommend for that special occasion.
Chefs table is a must, and their wine list is phenomenal. $120 for aged Ganevat if I remember correctly
Owner
Somm.ai
Owner

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2365 Post by Robert Dentice » February 20th, 2020, 3:57 am

Can't say enough great things about Legacy Records private rooms. I did a work dinner there last night for 15 people and it was perfect on all levels.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2366 Post by Paul Jaouen » February 20th, 2020, 5:16 am

Juliec wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:05 pm
If you all rush, kochi is byob. Probably until next week sometime.
According to manager last night free BYO will end next week. He’s thinking of starting corkage at $25 which is pretty good.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Juliec

#2367 Post by Juliec » February 20th, 2020, 10:28 am

Thanks Paul!
hong

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#2368 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » February 21st, 2020, 12:13 pm

Went for lunch at Kissaki yesterday. Minimalist but sleek room. They don't have their liquor license yet, but I inquired what their byob policy was. I was told it was fine to bring my own wine and their wouldn't be any corkage. I brought some stems not knowing what type of glassware they had. Upon arrival I was told that there was a misunderstanding and that I couldn't drink my Champagne and wine from my stems but they would "bend the rules" and pour the wines in the back into their tea cups. I didn't want to make a scene, so my friend and I acquiesced.

Sushi ranged from very good to ok and is definitely not in the first tier of NYC sushi restaurants. But it is fairly priced at $120 for 13 courses which includes gratuity.
IMG_0036.jpg
The first sushi course with my "tea".

I may go back in a couple of months to see if they've progressed, but not sure.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2369 Post by Robert Dentice » February 22nd, 2020, 6:13 am

Your intrepid reporter tried two new spots yesterday and I can recommend both

Goodmans Bar - opened in Bergdorf Goodman Mens store. Located on the 2nd floor right in the middle, prime real estate. Yes it is a bit odd an unlike most high end department store restaurants were they tend to be in locations that are not prime real estate. I think this shows how bad brick and morter retailers are hurting. On to the restaurant it was very, very good. If you happen to need a good meal in this area I would recommend it. Small focused wine list with a number of things I would be happy to drink.

https://robbreport.com/food-drink/dinin ... n-2895234/

Rule of Thirds (Greenpoint, Brooklyn) - I knew that George and Chef JT Vuong formerly of Okonomi were working on something. I knew it would be special. However I had no idea it would be this ambitious. We went during the media preview and I have to say I loved it. Great overall vibe. The space is stunning. You walk through an outdoor art exhibit into a stunning large restaurant. The food is Japanese Izakaya style. Overall the food was very good to excellent. Great Sake list and a nice small focused wine list. They will eventually be open all day. I am sure this will be added to the rotation...

https://ny.eater.com/2020/2/21/21147287 ... t-jt-vuong

Herwig Janssen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2370 Post by Herwig Janssen » February 25th, 2020, 3:49 pm

I went to Aquavit for lunch today . Lovely place , stunning wine list and great food . We had the herring ( great dish ) , the cod and the lobster .
Excellent dessert too . A gem .

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2371 Post by mark rudner » March 8th, 2020, 1:50 pm

quick tour yesterday
the dutch, ivan, ko bar and rezdora
wanted to go into essex market on dentice's recc of the contra crew's new wine bar but chose not to go inside with all of humanity
ivan is awesome. been a few times and does great ramen and lots of fun apps. 3 grimm ipas in can. great combo.
ko bar is just a perfect little spot. have the kinks in my head all day today. ape man....
rezdora was my first time. we got to the door at 4:55 and good thing we did. $60 corkage and they handled the 99 solaia perfectly.
tried 3 pastas but really wanted them all. place was packed when we left. highly recommend. will def'ly return for the right occasion [cheers.gif]

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2372 Post by Robert Dentice » March 9th, 2020, 8:29 am

A few recent meals of note.

Roberta's - This has become our go to with visiting nieces and nephews and it is always a huge hit with them. The Blanca Chef's heard we were in the house and dropped three Blanca dishes with truffles on us! What a gesture, I will never forget it!

Omakase Room by Maasar - Visited twice in the last week. $90 for a 12 course and $125 for 17 course. BYOB. I can't emphasize enough how good this place is and what an incredible value it is. And truth be told I think they need the business given what is happening at the moment.

Atoboy - As great as always but a number of new dishes.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2373 Post by mark rudner » March 9th, 2020, 9:42 am

hey robert
been to atoboy twice since your dinner, and love the new stuff
i love bringing newbies there as they're always blown away by the (seeming) simplicity of the place

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2374 Post by Robert Dentice » March 9th, 2020, 10:01 am

mark rudner wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 9:42 am
hey robert
been to atoboy twice since your dinner, and love the new stuff
i love bringing newbies there as they're always blown away by the (seeming) simplicity of the place
So nice to hear.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#2375 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » March 9th, 2020, 10:48 am

Tanoshi Sushi on the UES was solid but nothing special. Brought my own stems with no corkage fees. Reasonably priced at just a little over $100. A good neighborhood spot but not worth the 20 minute and $20 Uber to get there.
Weird set-up in that the guests have to wait outside for each seating to begin and then one by one each party's name is called to be seated.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2376 Post by Paul Jaouen » March 9th, 2020, 12:43 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 10:48 am
Tanoshi Sushi on the UES was solid but nothing special. Brought my own stems with no corkage fees. Reasonably priced at just a little over $100. A good neighborhood spot but not worth the 20 minute and $20 Uber to get there.
Weird set-up in that the guests have to wait outside for each seating to begin and then one by one each party's name is called to be seated.
When Chef Toshio was alive, people would get visibly upset if they weren't seated on the side of the restaurant he was working.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2377 Post by Michel Abood » March 9th, 2020, 2:56 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 10:48 am
Agree, it's a nice little place if you're in the area. My Mom lives a few blocks away so when I'm there I sometimes pop in with a bottle of Champagne. I wouldn't go out of my way to go there, but it is nice to have in the neighborhood.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2378 Post by mark rudner » March 12th, 2020, 5:26 pm

i'm sure everyone has seen this but here ya go anyway

https://ny.eater.com/2020/3/12/21175439 ... ity-reduce

yikes

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2379 Post by Robert Dentice » March 13th, 2020, 4:28 am

mark rudner wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 5:26 pm

yikes
Not sure this will matter for most. I went to Cagen Sake Bar last night and they only had 3 customers in the 2.5 hours I was there.

Restaurants are hurting bad. And all Asian restaurants have been hurting since this started.

I know everyones comfort level is different, if you can, go out and support your favorite restaurants.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2380 Post by Greg K » March 13th, 2020, 6:00 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 4:28 am
mark rudner wrote:

yikes
Not sure this will matter for most. I went to Cagen Sake Bar last night and they only had 3 customers in the 2.5 hours I was there.

Restaurants are hurting bad. And all Asian restaurants have been hurting since this started.

I know everyones comfort level is different, if you can, go out and support your favorite restaurants.
I was at Rezdora and Manhatta the last two nights, and it was pretty busy. I hope that continues. Will see this weekend though, have a reservation at Maaser tomorrow.
Greg Kahn

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2381 Post by Robert Dentice » March 13th, 2020, 6:45 am

Greg K wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 6:00 am
Robert Dentice wrote:
mark rudner wrote:

yikes

I was at Rezdora and Manhatta the last two nights, and it was pretty busy. I hope that continues. Will see this weekend though, have a reservation at Maaser tomorrow.
I will be at Maaser tomorrow for lunch.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2382 Post by Greg K » March 13th, 2020, 7:33 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 6:45 am
Greg K wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 6:00 am
Robert Dentice wrote:

I will be at Maaser tomorrow for lunch.
champagne.gif

Feel free to leave me what's left of your bottle [snort.gif]
Greg Kahn

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#2383 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » March 14th, 2020, 10:14 am

Sat at the bar for dinner at Marea last night. A third of the bar chairs have been removed. The bar was full with diners, but the dining room was definitely less than the mandated maximum 50% capacity. The staff was pleasant as always, but not surprisingly, quite somber.
It was very sad. That said, I still plan on going once a week.
Opened a magnum of '02 Dom Ruinart that I shared with the staff and others at the bar.

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#2384 Post by Jorge Henriquez » March 14th, 2020, 1:10 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 10:14 am
Sat at the bar for dinner at Marea last night. A third of the bar chairs have been removed. The bar was full with diners, but the dining room was definitely less than the mandated maximum 50% capacity. The staff was pleasant as always, but not surprisingly, quite somber.
It was very sad. That said, I still plan on going once a week.
Opened a magnum of '02 Dom Ruinart that I shared with the staff and others at the bar.
Very generous and admirable of you Ray.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2385 Post by mark rudner » March 14th, 2020, 1:15 pm

man that's a sad tale ray (great champagne but still sad)
let's hope this is in the rear-view quickly

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#2386 Post by Jorge Henriquez » March 14th, 2020, 7:29 pm

All Quality Branded restaurants to close after tonight’s service until further notice.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Herwig Janssen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2387 Post by Herwig Janssen » March 15th, 2020, 10:13 am

Boys , here in Belgium : all restaurants and café’s are closed completely for at least 3 weeks .
I would not underestimate that virus , it’s dangerous .
I would not be surprised that the US government will take the same measures in the days to come .

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2388 Post by mark rudner » March 16th, 2020, 9:39 am

all closed at 8 tonight
pick up/take out ok

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2389 Post by Robert Dentice » March 16th, 2020, 9:43 am

mark rudner wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 9:39 am
all closed at 8 tonight
pick up/take out ok
This is going to be very tough on lots of restaurants.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2390 Post by mark rudner » March 16th, 2020, 9:49 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 9:43 am
mark rudner wrote:
all closed at 8 tonight
pick up/take out ok
and the workers living paycheck to paycheck...
let's hope this doesn't last too long
fingers crossed

ybarselah

#2391 Post by ybarselah » March 16th, 2020, 1:57 pm

the ny state liquor authority is temporarily allowing restaurants to sell wine for off-premise consumption which is fantastic. there is an ocean of great wine sitting all over nyc in restaurant basements. if you're so inclined, reach out to them and buy wine. this is a huge help to them.
Yaacov (ITB)

m. ristev

#2392 Post by m. ristev » March 16th, 2020, 2:16 pm

if anybody attempts this please report back...
mајкл

Nathan V.

#2393 Post by Nathan V. » March 16th, 2020, 3:23 pm

mark rudner wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 9:49 am
Robert Dentice wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 9:43 am
mark rudner wrote:
all closed at 8 tonight
pick up/take out ok
and the workers living paycheck to paycheck...
let's hope this doesn't last too long
fingers crossed
It doesn't have to last long to be devastating. My restaurant, Rue Cler (in Durham, NC), has suspended operations indefinitely and may never re-open depending on whether the industry is provided any stimulus or support. Our employees will suffer unless given immediate access to unemployment insurance (which is actually an escrow that we have been paying). This is the end of the restaurant as we know it. If a restaurant does not have deep pocketed backers willing to take a big cash hit in addition to the beating they took in the financial markets today, that restaurant will go out of business and the owner will be financially ruined once they get sued for the remainder of the lease. I'm personally OK because I don't draw my primary income (or much at all if you know anything about the economics of restaurants) but my employees will not be. The human toll on workers in this industry will be catastrophic.

Pete Wells doesn't go dark enough but does give you a taste:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/dini ... virus.html
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

ybarselah

#2394 Post by ybarselah » March 16th, 2020, 3:24 pm

m. ristev wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 2:16 pm
if anybody attempts this please report back...
compagnie already offering 25% off their entire list. no need to attempt this - make a call if you think you want something.
Yaacov (ITB)

Dennis Atick

#2395 Post by Dennis Atick » March 17th, 2020, 5:59 am

This is not specific to NYC restaurants, but in light of Nathan's serious post above, it resonates.

I love this guy:

@decaturwinedude

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2396 Post by RyanC » March 17th, 2020, 6:54 am

Dennis Atick wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 5:59 am
This is not specific to NYC restaurants, but in light of Nathan's serious post above, it resonates.

I love this guy:

He's a national treasure.
C@ughey

Nathan V.

#2397 Post by Nathan V. » March 17th, 2020, 9:22 am

Gov. Roy Cooper announced Tuesday he plans to order restaurants and bars closed except for takeout and delivery orders.

The move aims to lessen the spread of COVID-19 — the disease caused by the novel coronavirus — by limiting interactions between large groups of people. A number of other states have issued similar orders, including New York, Ohio and Florida.

Cooper said his executive order would be effective at 5 p.m. Tuesday and would also include an expansion of unemployment insurance.
NC bars and restaurants closing. Hopefully our furloughed employees will get immediate access to unemployment insurance.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2398 Post by Michel Abood » March 17th, 2020, 2:21 pm

Nathan V. wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 9:22 am
Gov. Roy Cooper announced Tuesday he plans to order restaurants and bars closed except for takeout and delivery orders.

The move aims to lessen the spread of COVID-19 — the disease caused by the novel coronavirus — by limiting interactions between large groups of people. A number of other states have issued similar orders, including New York, Ohio and Florida.

Cooper said his executive order would be effective at 5 p.m. Tuesday and would also include an expansion of unemployment insurance.
NC bars and restaurants closing. Hopefully our furloughed employees will get immediate access to unemployment insurance.
Best of luck to you and your employees Nathan. The hospitality industry will be devastated around the US, that's for sure.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Dennis Atick

#2399 Post by Dennis Atick » March 18th, 2020, 11:20 am

@decaturwinedude

Stan Y.

#2400 Post by Stan Y. » March 19th, 2020, 7:11 am

Nathan V. wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 3:23 pm
It doesn't have to last long to be devastating. My restaurant, Rue Cler (in Durham, NC), has suspended operations indefinitely and may never re-open
I am truly sorry to hear this Nathan. You guys have done an excellent job over many years which is quite uncommon in the business.
S. Y @ t € s

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”