New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2251 Post by dcornutt » November 4th, 2019, 3:59 pm

The best restaurant on my last trip was The Modern. I still have a crush on Marea. It is my personal comfort zone. Great food and service. We are always treated like family. The Modern is however the most inventive restaurant that doesn't try to be too exclusive or molecular. The food tastes darn good. Better than the Kreuther days. Highly recommended.

I also found a new restaurant that I love. Oceana. Fresh seafood. Relaxed atmosphere. Good wine list.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2252 Post by MBerto » November 11th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Got in for 2 at Aquavit, where I will not be trying the Aquavit.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2253 Post by Paul Jaouen » November 11th, 2019, 1:27 pm

dcornutt wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 3:59 pm
I also found a new restaurant that I love. Oceana. Fresh seafood. Relaxed atmosphere. Good wine list.
Oceana doesn't get a lot of shouts but I agree it is a nice restaurant. I really like the foie gras and lobster app. Something different.

They are part of the Livanos group and I really like Ousia in that group. Amazing list of Greek wines there.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2254 Post by RyanC » November 12th, 2019, 6:28 am

I ate at Crown Shy last night. It was very good but not quite great. Apps of bitter green salad, octopus, cauliflower, and churros didn't do a whole lot for me. The mains, however, were really quite good. The chicken dish was flavorful and well-executed, as was the superb short rib. Krug GC (the 166eme) for $200 off the list was a nice bonus. Service was excellent and the room is nice. It is, however, quite a large restaurant so I hope they can maintain the level of traffic. It was *packed* -- impressive for a Monday night.

On Sunday night I ate at the Loyal, which was fine but not memorable with one exception: a masterful duck breast. The wine list was short and pricey but we drank a nice Gattinara.
C@ughey

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2255 Post by mark rudner » November 12th, 2019, 7:14 am

krug gc at 200 is indeed a steal!
dbgb used to to 375's at $69 and i think we drank all of them champagne.gif

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2256 Post by RyanC » November 12th, 2019, 7:36 am

mark rudner wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 7:14 am
The somm told me the Krug price was the cheapest of any restaurant in Manhattan and I don't doubt it.
C@ughey

ybarselah

#2257 Post by ybarselah » November 12th, 2019, 7:40 am

RyanC wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 7:36 am
mark rudner wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 7:14 am
The somm told me the Krug price was the cheapest of any restaurant in Manhattan and I don't doubt it.
this is - thankfully - a good trend now. simon and the whale has the krug for $200 as well and many restaurants sell the krug 375s for great pricing. these are typically releases and vintages that are priced lower than their counterparts to incentivize putting these bottles on the BTG part of the list which drives volume. restaurants will typically also put them on the bottle list to get higher margins or, in this case, sell at a great price. DP does this also, and i assume VC and others do as well.
Yaacov (ITB)

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#2258 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » November 12th, 2019, 8:17 am

RyanC wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 6:28 am
I ate at Crown Shy last night. It was very good but not quite great.
I agree with you.

That said, they did a great job for a wine dinner for eight people I set up there.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

G. Keeler

#2259 Post by G. Keeler » November 12th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Was in NY last week first for business and then my wife joined for a few days.

Dinner the first night with a colleague at Balthazar hit the spot after a long flight. Started with some oysters and then the classic steak frites. The fries are truly great.

Business lunch the next day at Le Coucou. I liked the 2 course lunch menu options and enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere. Good spot for a business meal. Business dinner that night at Batard. Also a good spot for a work dinner as the tables were spaced out and it wasn't loud. Food was fine if a bit safe and a little dated.

Dinner with my wife the next night at Charlie Bird. Food and wine were very good. Really enjoyed the music. My wife thought I had plugged my own playlist into their system. We also did cocktails at Manhatta which was a lot of fun. Great views and good drinks.

Dinner the next night at Atomix. Awesome experience with great execution and service. My wife is Korean so it was fun to get her take on the chefs interpretation on the dishes. We ended up doing a bottle of Ramonet off the list and had the somm supplement a few by the glass options to match certain dishes.

Lunch at Kawi in Hudson yards with a group of friends. I didn't know much about the restaurant going in but generally enjoyed everything I tried. Favorite of the group was the spicy roasted Rice Cakes with chili jam and benton’s ham.

Final dinner was at Cagen. Another good experience in a tiny 6 seat dinning room. Nice variety of fish and good sake list. Good way to end the trip.

Thanks to Robert Dentice for some reservation help and others for their suggestions.
G L E N N

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2260 Post by RyanC » November 12th, 2019, 5:27 pm

G. Keeler wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 4:25 pm
Was in NY last week first for business and then my wife joined for a few days.

Dinner the first night with a colleague at Balthazar hit the spot after a long flight. Started with some oysters and then the classic steak frites. The fries are truly great.

Business lunch the next day at Le Coucou. I liked the 2 course lunch menu options and enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere. Good spot for a business meal. Business dinner that night at Batard. Also a good spot for a work dinner as the tables were spaced out and it wasn't loud. Food was fine if a bit safe and a little dated.

Dinner with my wife the next night at Charlie Bird. Food and wine were very good. Really enjoyed the music. My wife thought I had plugged my own playlist into their system. We also did cocktails at Manhatta which was a lot of fun. Great views and good drinks.

Dinner the next night at Atomix. Awesome experience with great execution and service. My wife is Korean so it was fun to get her take on the chefs interpretation on the dishes. We ended up doing a bottle of Ramonet off the list and had the somm supplement a few by the glass options to match certain dishes.

Lunch at Kawi in Hudson yards with a group of friends. I didn't know much about the restaurant going in but generally enjoyed everything I tried. Favorite of the group was the spicy roasted Rice Cakes with chili jam and benton’s ham.

Final dinner was at Cagen. Another good experience in a tiny 6 seat dinning room. Nice variety of fish and good sake list. Good way to end the trip.

Thanks to Robert Dentice for some reservation help and others for their suggestions.
Great report and killer lineup.
C@ughey

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2261 Post by Robert Dentice » November 13th, 2019, 3:24 am

Glenn - That is a great lineup. Nice balance of classic and what is new and hot. So glad you enjoyed Atomix and Cagen, two of my favorites. I really enjoyed recent lunches at Kawi and Le Coucou. It is been awhile since I have been to Charlie Bird but I have two back-to-back Keller dinners their next week.
ITB - source | material

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2262 Post by mark rudner » November 18th, 2019, 8:32 am

2 quick hits this weekend
pasquale jones for a margarita and a funghi. both excellent with perfect combo of char and chewy
the bottle of keller rr may not have been the perfect match but i was channeling my inner robert d

ko bar for a bottle of rose bubbles by larmandier-bernier and a bunch of killer dishes including cold fried chicken, nori dusted rice with fish head, an amazing crudo in a hyper-umami broth, and both a pickle sandwich and a hamburger. i'm not sure exactly what they do to those last 2 sandwiches but they are amazing.
i forgot how much i like this place, although the room is very plain.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2263 Post by Robert Dentice » November 18th, 2019, 8:36 am

mark rudner wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 8:32 am
2 quick hits this weekend
pasquale jones for a margarita and a funghi. both excellent with perfect combo of char and chewy
the bottle of keller rr may not have been the perfect match but i was channeling my inner robert d

ko bar for a bottle of rose bubbles by larmandier-bernier and a bunch of killer dishes including cold fried chicken, nori dusted rice with fish head, an amazing crudo in a hyper-umami broth, and both a pickle sandwich and a hamburger. i'm not sure exactly what they do to those last 2 sandwiches but they are amazing.
i forgot how much i like this place, although the room is very plain.
Ko bar is such a gem! Well priced wine list. Great music. And open on the earlier side.

Going to the two Keller dinners this week at Charlie Bird! Can't wait.
ITB - source | material

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2264 Post by mark rudner » November 18th, 2019, 8:53 am

robert
ko played the entire album paranoid by black sabbath while we were there. interesting pairing!

charlie bird is my favorite of the group. great vibe/music

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2265 Post by Barry L i p t o n » November 22nd, 2019, 6:36 pm

Anyone been to Parm? I’ve thinking of trying a sandwich when I swing by DiPalos.

I was going to go tomorrow but found out that Netflix is going what sounds like a fun event in Little Italy today and tomorrow but worried that the crowds would be oppressive. Anyone there today?

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/ne ... uff-112219

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2266 Post by Barry L i p t o n » November 23rd, 2019, 4:10 pm

Answering my own questions:

Tried 3 things at Parm among the two of us. Chicken Parm Hero, Meatball Parm Roll, Eggplant Platter. All very good; relative to what I can get locally in SoCal, the eggplant was a step above.

The event was fun (late in the day), the only bad crowds were the lines for free food, amazing to see folks waiting in a seventy person line for something free that costs $3. If I was on that line for something I needed, I’d have paid $20 to jump the queue.

“Where’s Jimmy?” night in Little Italy: a news gal calling out the headlines:
6A57B8E5-4011-44E8-8373-3C73DC4D7348.jpeg
Parm had run out of the free sandwich, so no wait.
Last edited by Barry L i p t o n on November 24th, 2019, 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2267 Post by mark rudner » November 24th, 2019, 4:33 am

Funny. Didn’t see this. Tried to get into parm last night about 7. No room at the inn for us. It’s a good if simple place for sure.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2268 Post by Paul Jaouen » November 24th, 2019, 6:15 am

Brunch at Upland yesterday. Nice varied selection, decent wine list, corkage $35. I have not had dinner here yet but would certainly like to try it
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2269 Post by Ethan Abraham » November 25th, 2019, 3:08 am

Another great dinner at Cagen. They've been adjusting the format a bit. Currently they are doing the classic omakase with Chef Tomita in the back room for $180 ("Tomita" on Resy) and a $90-100 (I think) omakase/keiseki with Chef Hiromi ("Cagen" on Resy) in the front room. Small plate menu also available in the front room.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2270 Post by Barry L i p t o n » November 25th, 2019, 7:09 am

which did you have?

I was in Tomita Saturday and loved it. Very impressive.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2271 Post by Ethan Abraham » November 25th, 2019, 8:39 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 7:09 am
which did you have?

I was in Tomita Saturday and loved it. Very impressive.
We were at Tomita too, you must have been at the later seating...no other wine geeks at the 6pm!

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2272 Post by Barry L i p t o n » November 25th, 2019, 8:59 am

Yes, later seating . Was hanging around Little Italy (jimmy sent me) earlier.
How much is corkage?

Will be having lunch at Sushi Ginza Onodera today for comparison.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2273 Post by Ethan Abraham » November 25th, 2019, 9:35 am

$30 I think

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#2274 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » November 25th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Paul Jaouen wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 6:15 am
Brunch at Upland yesterday. Nice varied selection, decent wine list, corkage $35. I have not had dinner here yet but would certainly like to try it
It's homey, a couple of the dishes are quite nice, and its a nice addition to a bit of a barren space north of NoMad. I like to take my parents there when they come in town. Classic Stephen Starr.

Ramon C

#2275 Post by Ramon C » November 25th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 1:44 pm
Paul Jaouen wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 6:15 am
It's homey, a couple of the dishes are quite nice, and its a nice addition to a bit of a barren space north of NoMad. I like to take my parents there when they come in town. Classic Stephen Starr.
Been wanting to try for diner, too.
@brera

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#2276 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » November 25th, 2019, 7:24 pm

SZZimmermann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2277 Post by SZZimmermann » November 29th, 2019, 7:06 pm

My wife and I, together with our son and his girlfriend had lunch at Marea today. Our food was fine. At the recommendation of several board members I had the fusilli. It was good. It was $69 for two courses.

But the group agreed that overall the experience was meh. The service was distracted and slow. A pasta dish was delivered with red sauce on the bottom.

I won’t be coming back. I have much more enjoyable lunches at Gramercy Tavern.

We are visiting nyc for two more days. Any recommendations for lunch?
Scott Zimmermann

Andrew S.

#2278 Post by Andrew S. » November 29th, 2019, 9:04 pm

SZZimmermann wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 7:06 pm
My wife and I, together with our son and his girlfriend had lunch at Marea today. Our food was fine. At the recommendation of several board members I had the fusilli. It was good. It was $69 for two courses.

But the group agreed that overall the experience was meh. The service was distracted and slow. A pasta dish was delivered with red sauce on the bottom.

Scott,

I've never had a meal at Gramercy Tavern that was better than Marea. Marea has always been a treasure. But this is why every experience is an experience on its own. Sorry you had that.

There's so much to enjoy in NYC for lunch. What experience are you looking for and in what part of town?

If it's just a great lunch midtown: Szechuan Gourmet (242 W 56th St, New York, NY 10019) is a locals great spicy lunch.

If it's for wine at lunch, sure lots of folks will chime in depending on location.

SZZimmermann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2279 Post by SZZimmermann » November 29th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Andrew: Thanks for your input. Maybe I will give Marea another time. We are staying on the upper west side (seeing the kids and the grand kids).
Scott Zimmermann

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2280 Post by Barry L i p t o n » November 29th, 2019, 9:33 pm

I also was a diehard Marea fan who noticed a clear falling off last time.

Try Ai Fiori. Also a Michael White restaurant.

Great lunch. Food quality is like Marea used to be.

Get the fois gras,trofie Nero, scallops and you’ll be happy if you like that stuff. Been several times now.
Last edited by Barry L i p t o n on November 30th, 2019, 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew S.

#2281 Post by Andrew S. » November 29th, 2019, 10:08 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 9:33 pm
I also was a diehard Marea fan who noticed a clear falling off last time.

Try Ai Fiori. Also a Michael White restaurant.

Great lunch. Food is like Marea used to be.

Get the fois gras,trofie Nero, scallops and you’ll be happy if you like that stuff. Been several times now.
Ai Fiori is great as well!

If Marea is falling off, that would be a real loss. We have been out of NYC for a bit because of work in Europe, so haven't been in Marea in a bit.

Thanks for the input, Barry.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2282 Post by mark rudner » November 30th, 2019, 7:29 am

as to marea falling off, i believe we're about to hear from ray t...
i have never had a meal at gramercy that came close to marea
i just don't get that place

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2283 Post by ClarkstonMark » November 30th, 2019, 7:57 am

I know the chef left Marea a little over a year ago (not sure if this is reason some think it has fallen off) ... excited for his Detroit restaurant to open next year ....
Oak and Reel
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

WvanGorp
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2284 Post by WvanGorp » November 30th, 2019, 10:02 am

I’ve concluded there are distinct periods when a restaurant is really special but those periods don’t last forever. I won’t repeat my post above where I relate a huge falling off in the quality and vibe at Marea but apparently Michelin agrees. Tellingly I live upstairs and used to go there all the time. I haven’t been in many months now and have no desire to go. The staff was involved in a lawsuit with the restaurant and as part of the settlement the majority left. They’ve hired kids who can’t even pronounce basic Italian words correctly. Thanks but no thanks. Much better places and it really pains me to say it because when it was “on” it was really special. But that’s past tense now at least for me.
Wilfred van Gorp

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#2285 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » November 30th, 2019, 10:13 am

ClarkstonMark wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 7:57 am
I know the chef left Marea a little over a year ago (not sure if this is reason some think it has fallen off) ... excited for his Detroit restaurant to open next year ....
Oak and Reel
Jared Gadbow left Marea over four years ago when he became the Executive Chef at Vaucluse.

I'm sure Oak and Reel, with Jared at the helm, will be more than a welcomed addition to the Detroit dining scene.

ybarselah

#2286 Post by ybarselah » November 30th, 2019, 10:34 am

WvanGorp wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 10:02 am
I’ve concluded there are distinct periods when a restaurant is really special but those periods don’t last forever. I won’t repeat my post above where I relate a huge falling off in the quality and vibe at Marea but apparently Michelin agrees. Tellingly I live upstairs and used to go there all the time. I haven’t been in many months now and have no desire to go. The staff was involved in a lawsuit with the restaurant and as part of the settlement the majority left. They’ve hired kids who can’t even pronounce basic Italian words correctly. Thanks but no thanks. Much better places and it really pains me to say it because when it was “on” it was really special. But that’s past tense now at least for me.
that's really, really shocking to read.
Yaacov (ITB)

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#2287 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » November 30th, 2019, 3:01 pm

WvanGorp wrote:
I’ve concluded there are distinct periods when a restaurant is really special but those periods don’t last forever. I won’t repeat my post above where I relate a huge falling off in the quality and vibe at Marea but apparently Michelin agrees. Tellingly I live upstairs and used to go there all the time. I haven’t been in many months now and have no desire to go. The staff was involved in a lawsuit with the restaurant and as part of the settlement the majority left. They’ve hired kids who can’t even pronounce basic Italian words correctly.
Wilfred,

I agree with parts of your post but disagree with what I feel is the key point.

There is no doubt that a restaurant can not have an infinite period of greatness. We both can list dozens and dozens of restaurants past and present which prove that.
Additionally, there was, as you stated, a not insignificant change in the waitstaff which naturally caused a few errors and a short term dip in service.
I haven't noticed the pronunciation issues that you have.
Where I absolutely don't agree is that there has been a "huge" falling off in the quality and the vibe. I've not noticed a change in the food or vibe. A couple of recent menu additions, Zucca Affumicato and Culurgiones have been a couple of my favorite new courses this fall and to me their Crudo and other long time menu items have not changed at all.
Lastly, yes Michelin took away a star, but if they agreed their fall was huge, they would have reviewed Marea more harshly and not given them any stars.

Sorry I won't be running into you there on occasion.

P. ONeill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2288 Post by P. ONeill » December 1st, 2019, 9:15 pm

Feels very strange to read these reports of Marea's demise in light of dinner this evening (my first "proper" dinner, as opposed to eating at the bar, in quite a while).

On this evidence, I'm just not seeing the decline that others are. The food was uniformly great and knocked last night's dinner at Union Square Cafe into a cocked hat. The "new" (to me) mackerel appetizer with consommé and mushrooms was outstanding and the lobster risotto was excellent. The rest of our party, on their annual visit, enjoyed it tremendously (and one or two of them are not known for their patience when it comes to restaurants coasting on their reputation).

If I'm being super-pedantic (and wondering why Michelin docked them a star), the service could straighten out a couple of minor nits and perhaps the removal of hand towels in the bathrooms in favor of a hand dryer pissed the Michelin guys off, though I can live with that. But generally, the restaurant seemed to me to be firing on all cylinders, and our dinner was easily equal to others with this group over the last five years or so.
"P" --> P_e_t_e_r.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2289 Post by Jay Miller » December 2nd, 2019, 7:02 am

SZZimmermann wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 7:06 pm

While I haven't made it to Marea over a year I will observe that I have learned over the years that restaurants rarely field their A team on Thanksgiving day or the day after. So I'm hoping this was a holiday aberration.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

WvanGorp
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2290 Post by WvanGorp » December 2nd, 2019, 8:57 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 3:01 pm
WvanGorp wrote:
I’ve concluded there are distinct periods when a restaurant is really special but those periods don’t last forever. I won’t repeat my post above where I relate a huge falling off in the quality and vibe at Marea but apparently Michelin agrees. Tellingly I live upstairs and used to go there all the time. I haven’t been in many months now and have no desire to go. The staff was involved in a lawsuit with the restaurant and as part of the settlement the majority left. They’ve hired kids who can’t even pronounce basic Italian words correctly.
Wilfred,

I agree with parts of your post but disagree with what I feel is the key point.

There is no doubt that a restaurant can not have an infinite period of greatness. We both can list dozens and dozens of restaurants past and present which prove that.
Additionally, there was, as you stated, a not insignificant change in the waitstaff which naturally caused a few errors and a short term dip in service.
I haven't noticed the pronunciation issues that you have.
Where I absolutely don't agree is that there has been a "huge" falling off in the quality and the vibe. I've not noticed a change in the food or vibe. A couple of recent menu additions, Zucca Affumicato and Culurgiones have been a couple of my favorite new courses this fall and to me their Crudo and other long time menu items have not changed at all.
Lastly, yes Michelin took away a star, but if they agreed their fall was huge, they would have reviewed Marea more harshly and not given them any stars.

Sorry I won't be running into you there on occasion.
Fingers crossed they get the magic back.
Wilfred van Gorp

Herwig Janssen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2291 Post by Herwig Janssen » December 10th, 2019, 3:16 pm

I was a few days in Manhattan this week , to visit my son .
First night , we went to WAYAN based on positive feed-back in this thread . I loved it . It is a beautiful authentic place . The food is Indonesian-French , whatever that means . We started with chicken and shrimp satay , then a few small bites ( hamashi ) , and as main course a delicious noodle pasta with lobster plus perfect pork ribs . The wine list is ok , nothing special . I will certainly return , it is a winner and a fun place .
Next day , for lunch , to Chinatown . The place is called Nom Wah tea parlor. You would never go in without a recommendation , it does not look appealing , more like a hole in a wall . The place is packed , the food delicious . I ate way too much .
Next day , Cosme , a Mexican restaurant . A modern place , nice food but not a place I would go back to .
Tonight we go to Masa , i am very curious ....

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2292 Post by mark rudner » December 10th, 2019, 5:27 pm

strange that cosme had little appeal
i have always found it great/amazing

thanks for the wayan review. i hope to get there soon

Herwig Janssen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2293 Post by Herwig Janssen » December 11th, 2019, 4:06 am

Masa was one of the best meals in my life . Very expensive yes but so good , unbelievable .

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2294 Post by Robert Dentice » December 11th, 2019, 4:33 am

Herwig Janssen wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 4:06 am
Masa was one of the best meals in my life . Very expensive yes but so good , unbelievable .

Herwig - Very nice diverse group of restaurants. That is the way to do NYC! I was hesitant to try Masa for many years for several reasons. I decided to try it for a special occasion where I wanted to surprise my wife as its the only top restaurant in NYC we had not been to. I was immediately turned off that they would not guarantee us seats at the counter and almost cancelled. In the end we went and brought wine which the somm was immediately very excited by and were seated at the counter right in front of the senior chef and I agree it was one of the best meals of my life.
ITB - source | material

Herwig Janssen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2295 Post by Herwig Janssen » December 11th, 2019, 4:57 am

Initially , we were not seated at the counter which was a slight disappointment ( apparently , you have to ask in advance ). But the staff put us right in front of the Chef approx half course . It was worth it , what a show . He commented on every sushi ( funny) and engaged in a nice conversation with my son . The way he cuts his fish is spectacular .
Agree you need a really special occasion .....

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2296 Post by mark rudner » December 15th, 2019, 1:47 pm

saturday lunch at jean georges was as good as i can remember
one dish wasn't perfect but that's it
service, somm, and entire presentation is well worth the $68 four course prix fixe and well more
handled my wine superbly as well, but they should at $100....
still, my wine would have cost $750+ on the list and i paid under $200 for it
it is really a great room for a special afternoon

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2297 Post by Robert Dentice » December 16th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Another very good meal at Cagen Sake Bar. The food continues to get better and it was good from the start. I do think they could focus the menu a bit more as it is overwhelming. I saw Board member, Nathan Vandergrift there on Friday.
ITB - source | material

Nathan V.

#2298 Post by Nathan V. » December 18th, 2019, 7:17 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 12:39 pm
Another very good meal at Cagen Sake Bar. The food continues to get better and it was good from the start. I do think they could focus the menu a bit more as it is overwhelming. I saw Board member, Nathan Vandergrift there on Friday.
That was good fun. It was my first time since they've changed it up. Such a convivial, fun place. I wish I had brought some wine though as the Mullen (?) that you shared worked better for me than any of the sake we tried. Great to run into you in situ since you recommended this to us in the first place.

Also, had fantastic meal at Chef's Table Brooklyn Fare based on your insistence that it was not only worth the price but might be underappreciated for its quality. Every course was well thought out and balanced with the only weak link (if you can call it that) being the wagyu beef course. We have good mutual friends with the sommelier, Chase, and were treated to several wines that weren't on the list. We sat at the banquet behind the middle of the counter and loved that spot. Since we generally come up for my wife's birthday every year, we might make this special occasion spot part of our regular rotation (since her birthday is a special occasion always). One of the best meals I've had in the last few years.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2299 Post by Robert Dentice » December 18th, 2019, 7:58 am

Nathan V. wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 7:17 am
Robert Dentice wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 12:39 pm
That was good fun. It was my first time since they've changed it up. Such a convivial, fun place. I wish I had brought some wine though as the Mullen (?) that you shared worked better for me than any of the sake we tried. Great to run into you in situ since you recommended this to us in the first place.

Also, had fantastic meal at Chef's Table Brooklyn Fare based on your insistence that it was not only worth the price but might be underappreciated for its quality. Every course was well thought out and balanced with the only weak link (if you can call it that) being the wagyu beef course. We have good mutual friends with the sommelier, Chase, and were treated to several wines that weren't on the list. We sat at the banquet behind the middle of the counter and loved that spot. Since we generally come up for my wife's birthday every year, we might make this special occasion spot part of our regular rotation (since her birthday is a special occasion always). One of the best meals I've had in the last few years.
Glad you had a good meal at Brooklyn Fare. Chase is a great guy and keeps the winelist fun and reasonable for a three star. Funny I have had Waygu twice in the past few days once at a private dinner cooked by Chef Samuel Clonts (formerly of Brooklyn Fare and Uchu) and last night at Blanca's annual Zev Rovine truffle dinner and both dishes were the weakest link in overall great meals.
ITB - source | material

doug johnson

#2300 Post by doug johnson » December 19th, 2019, 9:26 am

I had dinner at the bar at Marea for the first time a couple days ago. A langostine crudo was uninspired and insultingly expensive. The famous octopus fusilli was very good and a hazelnut and huckleberry crostata for dessert was good. An interesting Ligurian wine by the glass, also insultingly priced.

And the vibe....was not my scene.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”