New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
A Rubin Stein
Posts: 229
Joined: September 13th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2201 Post by A Rubin Stein » October 16th, 2019, 8:03 am

Mike Cohen wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 7:43 am
Recently discovered Via Carota (thanks YB) and have had two excellent meals there in the past three weeks. The room is great and the service was on point. The menu is large so I was pleasantly surprised that there were no duds. It's super casual and exactly the way that I want to eat and drink for a quick but enjoyable meal. My only criticism is that it's not a place to linger. They turn tables very quickly. For my two meals there that was great as we were just looking for a quick bite, but if you wanted to make a meal at VC your night, it's probably not the place.
Took H there for a birthday lunch a few weeks ago, and it was excellent. Maybe because it was lunch, there was no issue as to lingering. Food was wonderfully authentic, reminiscent of the Italian countryside. I noticed a few good producers on the wine list, also. You know Via Carota is owned by the same couple who own I Sodi, right? (Which is also excellent and has the best negroni list in town).
a s h e r

Mike Cohen
Posts: 3014
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2202 Post by Mike Cohen » October 16th, 2019, 9:04 am

A Rubin Stein wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 8:03 am
Mike Cohen wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 7:43 am
Recently discovered Via Carota (thanks YB) and have had two excellent meals there in the past three weeks. The room is great and the service was on point. The menu is large so I was pleasantly surprised that there were no duds. It's super casual and exactly the way that I want to eat and drink for a quick but enjoyable meal. My only criticism is that it's not a place to linger. They turn tables very quickly. For my two meals there that was great as we were just looking for a quick bite, but if you wanted to make a meal at VC your night, it's probably not the place.
Took H there for a birthday lunch a few weeks ago, and it was excellent. Maybe because it was lunch, there was no issue as to lingering. Food was wonderfully authentic, reminiscent of the Italian countryside. I noticed a few good producers on the wine list, also. You know Via Carota is owned by the same couple who own I Sodi, right? (Which is also excellent and has the best negroni list in town).
I went for an early dinner with Charlotte a few weeks ago and then a very late lunch this past Sunday with the family. I didn't feel rushed per se, it's that the food comes out very quickly so you're finished with your meal within 45-60 minutes. Nobody was giving us the boot, but when we are done eating and I see a line of people waiting for a table, I'm sensitive to the restaurants need to turn tables and to the folks on line waiting for my table.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2203 Post by Robert Dentice » October 21st, 2019, 12:48 pm

Michelin is out!

Atomix gets bumped to 2. So happy for them.

Ukiyo, Jack Lambs new spot gets one!

Odo gets one.

Blue Hill at Stone Barns 2 (thought they might have gotten 3).

https://ny.eater.com/2019/10/21/2092402 ... stars-2020

User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3451
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2204 Post by RyanC » October 21st, 2019, 12:54 pm

Recommendation needed:

In early December, I need to take out a group of 6-10 friends/potential clients. These are people who eat out often and know good food but aren't necessarily foodies. The restaurant should be nice but not stuffy, the food should be excellent but not exotic, and the atmosphere should be fun but not so loud that we can't hear each other. I'd prefer somewhere with a good wine list. No steakhouses. Last year I organized the same dinner and we did Carbone, which worked well. Where else would you recommend for such an affair? Marea is likely an option. Maybe the Grill. Where else? It must be in Manhattan and not too much of a pain to get to, but I can be reasonably flexible on location so long as it's not too far north.

Thanks!
C@ughey

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2205 Post by Robert Dentice » October 21st, 2019, 1:03 pm

RyanC wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 12:54 pm
Recommendation needed:

In early December, I need to take out a group of 6-10 friends/potential clients. These are people who eat out often and know good food but aren't necessarily foodies. The restaurant should be nice but not stuffy, the food should be excellent but not exotic, and the atmosphere should be fun but not so loud that we can't hear each other. I'd prefer somewhere with a good wine list. No steakhouses. Last year I organized the same dinner and we did Carbone, which worked well. Where else would you recommend for such an affair? Marea is likely an option. Maybe the Grill. Where else? It must be in Manhattan and not too much of a pain to get to, but I can be reasonably flexible on location so long as it's not too far north.

Thanks!
I love the Bar Room at the Modern for this type of occasion.

User avatar
R@y.Tupp@+sch
Posts: 2676
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 8:22 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2206 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » October 21st, 2019, 1:16 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 12:48 pm
Michelin is out!

Atomix gets bumped to 2. So happy for them.

Ukiyo, Jack Lambs new spot gets one!

Odo gets one.

Blue Hill at Stone Barns 2 (thought they might have gotten 3).

https://ny.eater.com/2019/10/21/2092402 ... stars-2020
As always a couple of surprises on the list.

Aquavit - haven't been in a dozen or more years and that was the only time I've been there in the past 30. Not saying it isn't deserving of two stars, but I don't know anybody who eats there.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2207 Post by Robert Dentice » October 21st, 2019, 1:45 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 1:16 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 12:48 pm
Michelin is out!

Atomix gets bumped to 2. So happy for them.

Ukiyo, Jack Lambs new spot gets one!

Odo gets one.

Blue Hill at Stone Barns 2 (thought they might have gotten 3).

https://ny.eater.com/2019/10/21/2092402 ... stars-2020
As always a couple of surprises on the list.

Aquavit - haven't been in a dozen or more years and that was the only time I've been there in the past 30. Not saying it isn't deserving of two stars, but I don't know anybody who eats there.
I agree on Aquavit. I have not been either but a friend from out of town went a year ago and said he liked his meal at Contra much better.

I will say this thread is a pretty accurate predictor! Many of the newly starred were mentioned here recently.

User avatar
R@y.Tupp@+sch
Posts: 2676
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 8:22 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2208 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » October 21st, 2019, 1:58 pm

Crown Shy received a star.

Put together a wine dinner there last week - food was excellent, service great and wine service even better with high end stemware.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

p@ulbortin
Posts: 851
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 9:46 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2209 Post by p@ulbortin » October 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm

Another surprise Marea lost a star.

User avatar
R@y.Tupp@+sch
Posts: 2676
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 8:22 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2210 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » October 21st, 2019, 2:06 pm

p@ulbortin wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm
Another surprise Marea lost a star.
Yeah - I didn't want to bring that up.

They can have negative ten stars, and I'll still go there once a week.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2211 Post by Robert Dentice » October 21st, 2019, 2:13 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 2:06 pm
p@ulbortin wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm
Another surprise Marea lost a star.
Yeah - I didn't want to bring that up.

They can have negative ten stars, and I'll still go there once a week.
Wonder why Marea lost a star.

The biggest surprise is The Four Horseman getting a star. I love it and go often. Nevertheless it is still surprising.

Biggest omission for me personally is Secchu Yokota.

Rich Salsano
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 635
Joined: February 11th, 2011, 10:02 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2212 Post by Rich Salsano » October 21st, 2019, 8:14 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 1:58 pm
Crown Shy received a star.

Put together a wine dinner there last week - food was excellent, service great and wine service even better with high end stemware.
Yup. Fantastic experience there recently.
Richard Salsano

WvanGorp
Posts: 1583
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 9:37 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2213 Post by WvanGorp » October 21st, 2019, 8:16 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 2:13 pm
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 2:06 pm
p@ulbortin wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm
Another surprise Marea lost a star.
Yeah - I didn't want to bring that up.

They can have negative ten stars, and I'll still go there once a week.
Wonder why Marea lost a star.

The biggest surprise is The Four Horseman getting a star. I love it and go often. Nevertheless it is still surprising.

Biggest omission for me personally is Secchu Yokota.
Lots of changes there. I live above the restaurant and after being a long time patron I stopped having an interest in going about 3 months ago. Food got boring and not as good. Massive staff turnover not for the better. The strong GM left to manage Marea Dubai. The replacement GM was weak and left after a few weeks/months. As for why the massive staff turnover just do a google search for Marea and staff lawsuit. Not surprised at all it lost a star.
Wilfred van Gorp

User avatar
Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1360
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 10:34 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2214 Post by Ethan Abraham » October 22nd, 2019, 4:14 am

Jardiniere got a star but not Shun, likely timing as I think jardiniere opened a month earlier.

Herwig Janssen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 880
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 10:02 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2215 Post by Herwig Janssen » October 23rd, 2019, 5:19 am

I went to the Chef’s table at Brooklyn fare on Monday evening . A great experience , the food was creative and very tasty . His king crab with aged tomatoes a dish I will never forget . Service top . We were allowed to bring our own wines at $ 90 per bottle . The Coche Dury 2009 Genevrieres was a top match .
Finally a New York 3-star restaurant that meets my high expectations .

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 820
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 1:13 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2216 Post by Joe Chanley » October 23rd, 2019, 6:06 am

Rich Salsano wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 8:14 pm
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 1:58 pm
Crown Shy received a star.

Put together a wine dinner there last week - food was excellent, service great and wine service even better with high end stemware.
Yup. Fantastic experience there recently.
+1

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2217 Post by Robert Dentice » October 23rd, 2019, 8:24 am

Herwig Janssen wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 5:19 am
I went to the Chef’s table at Brooklyn fare on Monday evening . A great experience , the food was creative and very tasty . His king crab with aged tomatoes a dish I will never forget . Service top . We were allowed to bring our own wines at $ 90 per bottle . The Coche Dury 2009 Genevrieres was a top match .
Finally a New York 3-star restaurant that meets my high expectations .
One of my top 3 restaurants in the U.S.

I know its crazy with three Michelin stars and four NY times stars but I think Chef Cesar is underrated. He is underrated because he does not do the Chef circuit and insists on being in his restaurant at all times.

User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3451
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2218 Post by RyanC » October 23rd, 2019, 8:49 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 8:24 am
Herwig Janssen wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 5:19 am
I went to the Chef’s table at Brooklyn fare on Monday evening . A great experience , the food was creative and very tasty . His king crab with aged tomatoes a dish I will never forget . Service top . We were allowed to bring our own wines at $ 90 per bottle . The Coche Dury 2009 Genevrieres was a top match .
Finally a New York 3-star restaurant that meets my high expectations .
One of my top 3 restaurants in the U.S.

I know its crazy with three Michelin stars and four NY times stars but I think Chef Cesar is underrated. He is underrated because he does not do the Chef circuit and insists on being in his restaurant at all times.
Out of curiosity: what are the other 2 on your "top 3" list?
C@ughey

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2219 Post by Robert Dentice » October 23rd, 2019, 8:56 am

RyanC wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 8:49 am
Robert Dentice wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 8:24 am
Herwig Janssen wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 5:19 am
I went to the Chef’s table at Brooklyn fare on Monday evening . A great experience , the food was creative and very tasty . His king crab with aged tomatoes a dish I will never forget . Service top . We were allowed to bring our own wines at $ 90 per bottle . The Coche Dury 2009 Genevrieres was a top match .
Finally a New York 3-star restaurant that meets my high expectations .
One of my top 3 restaurants in the U.S.

I know its crazy with three Michelin stars and four NY times stars but I think Chef Cesar is underrated. He is underrated because he does not do the Chef circuit and insists on being in his restaurant at all times.
Out of curiosity: what are the other 2 on your "top 3" list?
Definitely Willows Inn and then a sentimental personal favorite State Bird.

G. Keeler
Posts: 298
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 12:03 am
Location: OC

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2220 Post by G. Keeler » October 23rd, 2019, 9:55 am

Herwig Janssen wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 5:19 am
I went to the Chef’s table at Brooklyn fare on Monday evening . A great experience , the food was creative and very tasty . His king crab with aged tomatoes a dish I will never forget . Service top . We were allowed to bring our own wines at $ 90 per bottle . The Coche Dury 2009 Genevrieres was a top match .
Finally a New York 3-star restaurant that meets my high expectations .
Glad you enjoyed it. We think it's great and tops our list for 3-star restaurants in the US. We have been to all of them except for Aliena (not interested) and the Inn at Little WA (haven't been in the area) and the only other one that I think comes close to Chef's table is Benu in SF which is also great but very different.
G L E N N

A Rubin Stein
Posts: 229
Joined: September 13th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2221 Post by A Rubin Stein » October 24th, 2019, 8:40 am

Estela last night, definitely worthy of its Michelin star awarded this week. The menu is diverse and interesting, and everything that came out from the kitchen was delicious. The staff is young, hip, handsome and seemed to glow following the star this week. The room is buzzing with energy and loud, but I could hear my friend pretty well. The wine list is interesting, with most of the producers, honestly, unknown to me. We ordered the 2017 Nicolas Jacob "Aux Perrieres", a Chardonnay from the Jura, that was excellent. Highly recommended restaurant, but definitely going to be much harder to get a reservation now.
a s h e r

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2222 Post by Robert Dentice » October 24th, 2019, 10:02 am

Hey all - I am doing a collaboration next week with Chef Daniel Burns at Chefs Club, formerly of Luksus, Noma, Fat Duck, St Johns and Momofuku Test Kitchen. Next week on Tuesday (10/29) I will be there pouring German wines from my cellar (for free) and playing vinyl. All week they will be offering a special selection of wines I chose from Ulli Stein, a very small, obscure German producer I love. Daniels food is outstanding. He is doing a month long residency there and is collaborating in various ways with friends.

On Tuesday, come for dinner or just come to the bar area and have snacks and wine.

Disclaimer: I am in no way profiting from this and will not be charging for the wines I open on Tuesday. Just helping out a Chef I truly admire and consider a friend.

https://www.chefsclub.com/new-york/

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2223 Post by Robert Dentice » October 24th, 2019, 10:03 am

A Rubin Stein wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 8:40 am
Estela last night, definitely worthy of its Michelin star awarded this week. The menu is diverse and interesting, and everything that came out from the kitchen was delicious. The staff is young, hip, handsome and seemed to glow following the star this week. The room is buzzing with energy and loud, but I could hear my friend pretty well. The wine list is interesting, with most of the producers, honestly, unknown to me. We ordered the 2017 Nicolas Jacob "Aux Perrieres", a Chardonnay from the Jura, that was excellent. Highly recommended restaurant, but definitely going to be much harder to get a reservation now.
This is consistent with my last meal. So happy they got a star. To me this is the type of place that deserves a star primarily based on food. Much like Contra.

User avatar
Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4226
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2224 Post by Paul Jaouen » October 24th, 2019, 10:08 am

Robert, that’s very generous of you.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

R Roberts
Posts: 924
Joined: September 2nd, 2013, 8:03 pm
Location: SF peninsula

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2225 Post by R Roberts » October 25th, 2019, 9:50 am

Just returned from a NY work trip with a relatively large group of people with dietary requirements and/or picky eaters. So not much exploration this time. Some quick notes on the meals:

Catch NYC: generic mix of sushi and new American in a fairly obnoxious and loud setting. It served its purpose with a diverse enough menu, but uninspired. The place has a bathroom attendant, handing out *paper* towels after you wash your hands. What?

Pasquale Jones: Second time coming here, good wines BTG and delicious pizza. We ordered a margarita and fungi pizza along with other small dishes. I like to have something green before binging on what's essentially bread. Sad to see leafy greens no longer on the menu, but there was a tasty endive mix that took its place. I guess fall is here. The margarita is still my favorite. I will return.

Ramen Lab: small (8 spots?) standing only place that has rotating visiting chefs. Currently they have someone from Toronto. I had the Tan Tan and it was delicious. A much more viscous broth than I was expecting, and umami packed. I've walked past it before on past trips and was put off by the frequent line. Having dined there now, I imagine they rotate people in/out quickly. Standing while you eat encourages a sense of urgency. Good for a quick meal, and fun that its constantly changing. I will return.

Rubirosa: yes, pizza twice on the same short trip. Not ideal, but its hard to complain. I've wanted to try the vodka pizza, so ordered that. Somewhat heavily sauced on a cracker like crust. The sauce was creamy, tomato-y and delicious. Not so sure about the crust- I presume they rolled it out because it was so uniform with practically no bubbles. Good flavors, though I prefer Neapolitan style. Probably won't return.

Death & Co: speakeasy I've been to before. Delicious cocktails as always. Be prepared to give your number at the door and wait. I really wish more places in NY would do reservations. Ah well. I will return.

Russ & Daughters: I don't know much about Jewish food, but the lattkes, lox, and eggs were all delicious. My favorite NY brunch place, though be prepared to wait for a seat. Relaxing atmosphere.
R.ama

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14223
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2226 Post by Jay Miller » October 25th, 2019, 11:50 am

R Roberts wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 9:50 am

Catch NYC: ...The place has a bathroom attendant, handing out *paper* towels after you wash your hands. What?
That is hilarious.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2227 Post by Robert Dentice » October 26th, 2019, 6:13 am

More info here on my collab at Chefs Club


m. ristev
Posts: 716
Joined: October 10th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2228 Post by m. ristev » October 26th, 2019, 1:46 pm

how much for a glass of gmax at the bar if one is not eating [whistle.gif]
mајкл

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1426
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2229 Post by mark rudner » October 26th, 2019, 2:24 pm

m. ristev wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 1:46 pm
how much for a glass of gmax at the bar if one is not eating [whistle.gif]
that's a great (and funny) question champagne.gif

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2230 Post by Robert Dentice » October 27th, 2019, 8:20 am

mark rudner wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 2:24 pm
m. ristev wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 1:46 pm
how much for a glass of gmax at the bar if one is not eating [whistle.gif]
that's a great (and funny) question champagne.gif
Free as long as supplies last...only bringing one bottle!

User avatar
MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3892
Joined: July 6th, 2010, 10:16 am
Location: Twin Cities, MN

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2231 Post by MBerto » October 28th, 2019, 10:56 am

OK someone make a suggestion for me. Coming in about a month for a personal trip. We always like to do one nice dinner, but have booked a bunch of other expensive stuff and so are shying away from the Per Se/EMP scene. Still want something Michelin level, but hopefully closer to $500 all in than $1000. Have a rez at Batard, thinking about trying to get into Blanca when December opens up, or maybe Aquavit.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2232 Post by Robert Dentice » October 28th, 2019, 12:10 pm

MBerto wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 10:56 am
OK someone make a suggestion for me. Coming in about a month for a personal trip. We always like to do one nice dinner, but have booked a bunch of other expensive stuff and so are shying away from the Per Se/EMP scene. Still want something Michelin level, but hopefully closer to $500 all in than $1000. Have a rez at Batard, thinking about trying to get into Blanca when December opens up, or maybe Aquavit.
Aska or Atomix, hands down. Two Michelin stars with food that I like better than the three stars.

Or try something different try Contra, one Michelin star, very casual downtown type scene. 5 course tasting menu for ~$75

WvanGorp
Posts: 1583
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 9:37 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2233 Post by WvanGorp » October 28th, 2019, 2:57 pm

I agree with Robert. Atomix hands down.
Wilfred van Gorp

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2234 Post by Robert Dentice » October 29th, 2019, 6:45 am

Final info on tonight's collab! It is going to be quite the party!


User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3451
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2235 Post by RyanC » October 29th, 2019, 8:18 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 6:45 am
Final info on tonight's collab! It is going to be quite the party!

This is astonishingly cool. I wish I were in NY tonight.
C@ughey

A Rubin Stein
Posts: 229
Joined: September 13th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2236 Post by A Rubin Stein » October 29th, 2019, 8:58 am

Absolutely brutal review of Peter Luger's steakhouse by Pete Wells, NYT: https://nyti.ms/2Jya0hs
a s h e r

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6412
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2237 Post by Mark Golodetz » October 29th, 2019, 9:01 am

I was curious which steak houses he feels are better.

Probably deserves a thread of its own.
ITB

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13000
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2238 Post by J a y H a c k » October 29th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 6:45 am
Final info on tonight's collab! It is going to be quite the party!

You communist! I didn't know about this until someone told me. Unfortunately, this clashes with our FKALBTG monthly dinner. I can't tell you what we are pouring because it's blind and someone might see this, but an argument can be made that we win anyway.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5570
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 11:05 am
Location: flight Level 3 seven thousand. NYC Metro

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2239 Post by Dan Hammer » October 29th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Any current updates on Racine's. We're headed downtown on Monday when they have BYO for no charge.
This space for rent.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1426
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2240 Post by mark rudner » October 30th, 2019, 10:01 am

chefs club dinner last night was amazing. i've never had chef burns food before and i was so happily impressed with everything served. also impressive is what a personable guy he is. he saw me trying to figure out how to eat 2 of the snacks served before the official start of the tasting menu, and he came out of the kitchen and said just pick them up and eat with your hands (crispy chicken skin with king crab and caviar and a fried oyster on pureed cauliflower with cabbage underneath to wrap like a taco)
the beef tartare with razor clam was a great combination with lovely textures, and everything else was near perfect. michelin starred food without the pomp and circumstance.
exactly what dentice likes!
and btw, the wines were quite varied and amazing. i don't recall seeing a more generous act of sharing one's passion than robert serving all those wines from his collection.
everything from the lowly elbling to the heights of keller's g-max showed extremely well. i only wish i could have been there later in the evening to see the debauchery that must have occurred...
thanks robert [cheers.gif]

User avatar
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡
Posts: 2508
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2241 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » October 30th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Wow that’s awesome. Cheers Robert

User avatar
MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3892
Joined: July 6th, 2010, 10:16 am
Location: Twin Cities, MN

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2242 Post by MBerto » November 1st, 2019, 1:26 pm

LOL all tables at Atomix for December (or at least the Saturday in question) disappeared today within about 2 minutes. I was ready hitting refresh but it wasn't my day. What else ya got?
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

User avatar
Len Fox
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 144
Joined: August 10th, 2011, 9:00 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2243 Post by Len Fox » November 1st, 2019, 2:02 pm

Hi Robert
Was disappointed that Meri and I could not make it to Chef's Club to enjoy your wines and tunes. The boy was a little under the weather and we did not feel comfortable leaving him with a babysitter. Curious as to your WOTY and AOTY.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2948
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2244 Post by Barry L i p t o n » November 1st, 2019, 6:48 pm

WvanGorp wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 8:16 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 2:13 pm
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 2:06 pm


Yeah - I didn't want to bring that up.

They can have negative ten stars, and I'll still go there once a week.
Wonder why Marea lost a star.

The biggest surprise is The Four Horseman getting a star. I love it and go often. Nevertheless it is still surprising.

Biggest omission for me personally is Secchu Yokota.
Lots of changes there. I live above the restaurant and after being a long time patron I stopped having an interest in going about 3 months ago. Food got boring and not as good. Massive staff turnover not for the better. The strong GM left to manage Marea Dubai. The replacement GM was weak and left after a few weeks/months. As for why the massive staff turnover just do a google search for Marea and staff lawsuit. Not surprised at all it lost a star.
That’s fits. Was there in August, and it seemed like going though the motions. On the other hand Ai Fiori was stellar.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1426
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2245 Post by mark rudner » November 2nd, 2019, 6:56 am

Len Fox wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 2:02 pm
Hi Robert
Was disappointed that Meri and I could not make it to Chef's Club to enjoy your wines and tunes. The boy was a little under the weather and we did not feel comfortable leaving him with a babysitter. Curious as to your WOTY and AOTY.
you could guess at his woty about a million times and still never get close...

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2246 Post by Robert Dentice » November 2nd, 2019, 7:31 am

Len Fox wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 2:02 pm
Hi Robert
Was disappointed that Meri and I could not make it to Chef's Club to enjoy your wines and tunes. The boy was a little under the weather and we did not feel comfortable leaving him with a babysitter. Curious as to your WOTY and AOTY.
WOTY - Andreas Durst Chardonnay! I say its my wine of the year not because it was the absolute best wine I have had this year. More so because it was so unique and intriguing. It is Chardonnay from the Pfalz made by a very small producer who is a professional photographer by day. Renee calls him the Abe of Germany because our visit with him very much reminded us of our first visit with Abe. We met him at his house which is a bohemian type set up with at least 10 turntables (most broken) that is a simultaneously a winery (i.e., the Garage), his studio and his living quarters. The wine is like a hypothetical blend of a top GG and a Premier Cru Chablis. Admittedly it did not show as well on Tuesday partly because it was too cold.


AOTY - Of course it is Bandana by Freddie Gibbs and Madlib but the rare Directors cut out on vinyl.




User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2247 Post by Robert Dentice » November 2nd, 2019, 7:32 am

mark rudner wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 10:01 am
chefs club dinner last night was amazing. i've never had chef burns food before and i was so happily impressed with everything served. also impressive is what a personable guy he is. he saw me trying to figure out how to eat 2 of the snacks served before the official start of the tasting menu, and he came out of the kitchen and said just pick them up and eat with your hands (crispy chicken skin with king crab and caviar and a fried oyster on pureed cauliflower with cabbage underneath to wrap like a taco)
the beef tartare with razor clam was a great combination with lovely textures, and everything else was near perfect. michelin starred food without the pomp and circumstance.
exactly what dentice likes!
and btw, the wines were quite varied and amazing. i don't recall seeing a more generous act of sharing one's passion than robert serving all those wines from his collection.
everything from the lowly elbling to the heights of keller's g-max showed extremely well. i only wish i could have been there later in the evening to see the debauchery that must have occurred...
thanks robert [cheers.gif]
Thanks so much for the very kind words! So glad you had a good time and equally happy you liked the Elbling as the G-Max!

User avatar
Len Fox
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 144
Joined: August 10th, 2011, 9:00 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2248 Post by Len Fox » November 4th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Tracked down a bottle of the Andreas Durst 2016. Will open with my daughter on her visit to NYC this week. Maybe at our Friday evening dinner at Contra.
Enjoyed the track you provided. Nice to hear your still spinning vinyl. I have loads of vinyl from the 60's thru the 80's but got seduced by the convenience of cd's and then onto digital.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2249 Post by Robert Dentice » November 4th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Len Fox wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 12:51 pm
Tracked down a bottle of the Andreas Durst 2016. Will open with my daughter on her visit to NYC this week. Maybe at our Friday evening dinner at Contra.
Enjoyed the track you provided. Nice to hear your still spinning vinyl. I have loads of vinyl from the 60's thru the 80's but got seduced by the convenience of cd's and then onto digital.
Oh the pressure is on. I assume you picked it up at Crush? It is the only store that I know that got a small allocation. I hope you like the wine.

And of Course vinyl! I collect vinyl as well as wine!

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1426
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2250 Post by mark rudner » November 4th, 2019, 2:46 pm

now i'm going to have to buy one because the one i tasted was too cold to get anything out of... neener
[cheers.gif]

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”