Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2151 Post by scott c » August 29th, 2019, 11:49 am

WvanGorp wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 7:43 am
Count me as a huge fan of Wayan. Maybe it was an off night. I’d recommend trying it again. Normally it’s great.
+1

I think your non-meat ordering hindered your experience (although I recognize there's not much you can do about that!). We had the ribs and the veal chop and they were both awesome.

Also, while I have ribs on the brain, Van Da in the East Village is also very good.
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2152 Post by mark rudner » August 29th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 10:01 am
I tried Hutong for lunch given it is a block from my office. Huge, flashy decor. The calamari flower appetizer was excellent. Everything else including the duck was just ok. I have had much better Duck in NYC. The wine list was decent and fairly priced. I will go back given the dearth of options in this area but overall was underwhelmed.

https://www.hutong-nyc.com/
is that the old le cirque?

Robert Dentice

#2153 Post by Robert Dentice » August 29th, 2019, 12:27 pm

mark rudner wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 12:10 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 10:01 am
I tried Hutong for lunch given it is a block from my office. Huge, flashy decor. The calamari flower appetizer was excellent. Everything else including the duck was just ok. I have had much better Duck in NYC. The wine list was decent and fairly priced. I will go back given the dearth of options in this area but overall was underwhelmed.

https://www.hutong-nyc.com/
is that the old le cirque?
Yes.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2154 Post by M.Kaplan » September 1st, 2019, 7:45 pm

FYI James Knappett from Kitchen Table, London, is doing a one night pop up at Benno on Sept 17.

https://www.bennorestaurant.com/event/kitchentable/
---Mark

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2155 Post by Jay Miller » September 2nd, 2019, 7:29 am

I took Arnold and his mom to Manhatta for brunch yesterday. Pretty much as advertised, stunning views, excellent Danny Meyer level service, food was hit or miss.

My heirloom tomato salad had three very thin perfectly nice slices of tomato marred by slices of sour, very underripe nectarines. The foie gras reuben was a bad idea from start to finish. Not only was each individual part of the dish subpar - the wagyu pastrami way too smokey, the foie gras too bland (how do you even do that?) but the whole was less than the sum of its parts. Nothing went together. Oysters Rockefeller was the best of the three, perfectly fine rendition of a dish which has wallowed in generally deserved obscurity for decades.

Things picked up with the main courses. While the duck was overcooked (Arnold liked it more than I did) the chicken was delicious and my squid ink Strozzapreti was surprisingly addictive.

All three desserts were top notch. The cheesecake, the ricotta, and the olive oil sabayon were all delicious with the crown being given to the sabayon.

So I wouldn't rush back but for certain purposes it's a good arrow to have in the quiver. For example I'd love to go back for a dinner around sunset when the view should be even more amazing that it was early afternoon.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2156 Post by G. Keeler » September 18th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Going to be in NYC with my wife in November. Staying somewhere between soho and downtown this time. Have 3 dinners to plan. 1 night we are thinking Atomix and another night more casual, something like Frenchette or Via Carota. Would also like to do Japanese one night. What are the current favorites among the New York regulars? Could be kaiseki or sushi. Price not a factor. Thanks!
G L E N N

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2157 Post by mark rudner » September 18th, 2019, 12:59 pm

i have been to carota + or - 50 times and frenchette exactly once
given the choice i guess you know where i'd go.
the wine program at frenchette is indeed very interesting, but if you can catch carota when it's not crazy busy (rare since recent awards and reviews) i'd rather be there.
also if in soho hard not to recc uncle boons if you can get in.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2158 Post by mark rudner » September 18th, 2019, 1:13 pm

recent visits
as summer ends i'm finally getting back into the city and braved our way to hudson yards for mercado little spain.
it's a mall, and it feels like a mall.
the mercado is well done and well staffed. some wonderful apps at barra (the dissolving olives are worth trying once) with the potato wrapped chorizo being a standout.
then over to mar for the weird but most tasty shrimp in the style of bulli 1996, and also the garlic shrimp which were quite good.
i can't really see going back unless i had to be at javits or something.

then onto legacy records which i immediately did not like the vibe as much as charlie bird (which i love)
the wine list is bigger at legacy and they do not want to sell half bottles like at charlie bird (but they might depending on the bottle, apparently)
an enjoyable experience with a lovely staff, but not as well located nor as comfortable (for me) as on king street.

Robert Dentice

#2159 Post by Robert Dentice » September 18th, 2019, 10:06 pm

G. Keeler wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Going to be in NYC with my wife in November. Staying somewhere between soho and downtown this time. Have 3 dinners to plan. 1 night we are thinking Atomix and another night more casual, something like Frenchette or Via Carota. Would also like to do Japanese one night. What are the current favorites among the New York regulars? Could be kaiseki or sushi. Price not a factor. Thanks!
I would suggest you consider Uchū or Cagen (the 6 seat Omakase not the front Kaiseki - both are good but the 6 seat Omakase is very special) depending on your price point. There are many other high end Sushi choices.

Atomix is amazing just make sure you know when you need to make reserve for November because they book up fast.

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2160 Post by G. Keeler » September 19th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. Robert, we did Uchu last year and loved it. We will try for Cagen. Any other high end sushi recs in case we can’t get a booking at Cagen?
G L E N N

Robert Dentice

#2161 Post by Robert Dentice » September 20th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Sad to report Bar Uchu (not the Sushi part) has closed. I LOVED that place. So bummed. These small restaurants open with great young chefs and it works for awhile because they do not need to do much business to avoid losing money but then they realize you can never make money with an 8-12 seat restaurant that does two turns a night. Bar Uchu, Semilla, Luskus on and on they just keep breaking my heart!

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#2162 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » September 20th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 3:06 pm
These small restaurants open with great young chefs and it works for awhile because they do not need to do much business to avoid losing money but then they realize you can never make money with an 8-12 seat restaurant that does two turns a night.
When Gem closed for the summer and said they would reopen in September, I thought for sure that was the end. Glad I was wrong, but as you said, hard to make money doing a max of 24 covers five times a week.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Robert Dentice

#2163 Post by Robert Dentice » September 20th, 2019, 3:22 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 3:12 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
These small restaurants open with great young chefs and it works for awhile because they do not need to do much business to avoid losing money but then they realize you can never make money with an 8-12 seat restaurant that does two turns a night.
When Gem closed for the summer and said they would reopen in September, I thought for sure that was the end. Glad I was wrong, but as you said, hard to make money doing a max of 24 covers five times a week.
Went to Gem last weekend for dinner and loved the new menu.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2164 Post by Ethan Abraham » September 20th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
Sad to report Bar Uchu (not the Sushi part) has closed. I LOVED that place. So bummed. These small restaurants open with great young chefs and it works for awhile because they do not need to do much business to avoid losing money but then they realize you can never make money with an 8-12 seat restaurant that does two turns a night. Bar Uchu, Semilla, Luskus on and on they just keep breaking my heart!
That's too bad! It did seem strange to me that the cash flow machine and namesake (ie, the whiskey) wasn't monetized at all. I imagine it will become a whiskey bar with small plates....

Rich Salsano

#2165 Post by Rich Salsano » September 21st, 2019, 6:28 am

Ethan Abraham wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 5:30 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
That's too bad! It did seem strange to me that the cash flow machine and namesake (ie, the whiskey) wasn't monetized at all. I imagine it will become a whiskey bar with small plates....
Definitely bummed to hear that. We really enjoyed it when we went a couple years ago. I understand the challenge though.
Richard Salsano

Robert Dentice

#2166 Post by Robert Dentice » September 21st, 2019, 8:04 am

On brighter news! Had a wonderful meal that night at the Sake Bar at Cagen. The current format is the front of the house is small plates and Sake and the back the high end Omakase.

It was my third meal at the Sake Bar and they are starting to dial it in. The food was good the first two times but I felt there were too many options and the overall format/concept needed to be refined.

They offer a 7 piece sushi option for $55, a Sashimi selection and then several a la carte options. We did the 7 piece sushi and added an Uni dish, fried fish and black cod.

The back is a 6-8 seat Omakase which I did last week and it is as great as ever.

Robert Dentice

#2167 Post by Robert Dentice » September 21st, 2019, 1:43 pm

I was excited when I read about a new a new high end Sushi spot called Omakase by Maaser because it will be open for lunch on Saturdays. I have always struggled to find a good sushi option for lunch on the weekends.

https://ny.eater.com/2019/8/7/20758402/ ... illage-nyc

I went today and I have to say I was absolutely blown away!!!! 17 piece Omakase for $115 and free corkage in a beautiful serene atmosphere. The Sushi was exceptional.

I can't recommend this spot highly enough.

I was told the dinner menu is identical to lunch.

And the Chefs were more than happy to share some wine.

The only minor issue is that glasses are just ok.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”