New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2101 Post by Michel Abood » July 31st, 2019, 10:12 pm

I was in town with my wife and 4.5 year old boy for a week to visit family (and this was their first trip back since we moved to San Diego 3 years ago) so we hit up some of the usual spots (Wu's, Ops, Maialino). Wu's was a slight disappointment, the food was good but not great (though the fried anchovy, chive and squid dish was outstanding).

I wanted my son to know what real pizza was like (San Diego does not have good pizza) so I had to take them to Ops, which as usual was out of this world. God, I just love this place more and more. We ordered 3 pies and he ate more slices than either myself or my wife. The staff there were so happy to see him happy.
IMG_20190728_170154.jpg
IMG_20190728_130559.jpg
And just before moving we had celebrated his first birthday at Maialino, where he devoured the pig face dish, so of course we had to come back to pre-celebrate his 5th birthday with another pig face. The other dishes were very good, though one cacio e pepe was slightly watery, but the pastas had a good bite to them and everything was delicious overall. Service was fantastic too.
IMG_20190731_171756.jpg
My son wants to move back to NYC just to eat everything (like his dad).
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2102 Post by Michel Abood » August 1st, 2019, 7:26 am

I forgot to mention we also visited a classic that doesn't get much press anymore: Balthazar. It's amazing to me that after all these years, not only is the place banging all day (we were there from 12:45pm to 2:30pm), but service is still outstanding and the food is still really good. It's not groundbreaking, but it is reliably delicious. I wish we had places like this in San Diego, which is really good-restaurant starved except for a few things.

IMG_20190725_134926.jpg

My cheeseburger was cooked perfectly (rare/medium rare) and quite tasty, the fries were on point, and while the wine list isn't the most adventurous it hits all the right quality and price points. Our Rose was delicious and perfect for everything on the table (several meat dishes and one fish dish).

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2103 Post by mark rudner » August 1st, 2019, 8:40 am

awesome pic of your son and the pig
i'm not sure my kid would be in the same room with it!

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2104 Post by Jeff Bloom » August 2nd, 2019, 1:59 pm

My wife and I will be in New York for a semi-impromptu one night trip in two weeks. Too late to get reservations at the big name places but we're really not looking for a pricey multi-course extravaganza. We're really just looking for a good dinner and a nice night out. Any suggestions, preferably French or Italian? If it helps, we had hoped for Frenchette as our first choice. Midtown is a benefit but not essential.

Thanks for all recommendations.

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2105 Post by Michel Abood » August 2nd, 2019, 10:39 pm

mark rudner wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 8:40 am
awesome pic of your son and the pig
i'm not sure my kid would be in the same room with it!
We've been adamant about introducing new dishes and foods almost from the day he was born. He is quite an adventurous eater, especially for a nearly 5 year old. We are very lucky.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#2106 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » August 3rd, 2019, 7:15 am

Jeff Bloom wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 1:59 pm
My wife and I will be in New York for a semi-impromptu one night trip in two weeks. Too late to get reservations at the big name places but we're really not looking for a pricey multi-course extravaganza. We're really just looking for a good dinner and a nice night out. Any suggestions, preferably French or Italian? If it helps, we had hoped for Frenchette as our first choice. Midtown is a benefit but not essential.

This time of year it generally isn't too hard to get reservations. Marea seems to fit your parameters.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Robert Dentice

#2107 Post by Robert Dentice » August 3rd, 2019, 8:45 am

Jeff Bloom wrote:

The Modern Bar Room is a good option. Great wine list, very good food and you can visit the entire Moma or just the garden. If they do not have reservations you can still get seated at the tables in the Bar room, you might have to wait a short time but you can have a drink at the Bar.

Barry L i p t o n

#2108 Post by Barry L i p t o n » August 3rd, 2019, 11:01 am

Marea is usually my first choice but I also enjoy the food at Ai Fiori if you want Italian on the southern part of midtown.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2109 Post by Paul Jaouen » August 7th, 2019, 9:05 am

Dined at Le Jardinier last evening with friends. Ambiance is lovely, service was excellent and food was beautifully plated and very good. Corkage is $60 with one bottle limit per couple and can't be on their list. List is not very deep but one can find something that pleases. I would return.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2110 Post by Jeff Bloom » August 8th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Thank you for the recommendations. Marea looked really good to me. My wife, who has seafood allergies, thought it was a bit too fish and seafood-centric and was not as enamored. We're going to try Maialino instead.

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2111 Post by Sh@n A » August 8th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Jeff Bloom wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 3:20 pm
Thank you for the recommendations. Marea looked really good to me. My wife, who has seafood allergies, thought it was a bit too fish and seafood-centric and was not as enamored. We're going to try Maialino instead.
Maialino has ?$35? BYO corkage (can't be on their list, etc.). Friendly somms that I always let taste what I have (even though they probably already tasted it). Expensive but interesting by the glass list as well. Flatiron wines is only a couple blocks away (although you may want to order in advance so they can move stuff to their warehouse). Big fan of Mailalino.
/ @ g r @ \

Colin Haggerty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2112 Post by Colin Haggerty » August 10th, 2019, 5:36 pm

In recent years we have enjoyed visiting New York and have dined in numerous great restaurants. I typically write up our restaurant experiences when we are in New York for the Wine Spectator New York Wine Experience. Hopefully some of the photos and restaurant descriptions will be helpful to someone planning a trip to the Big Apple.

CellarTracker: 2017 New York Wine Experience Trip

CellarTracker: 2015 New York Wine Experience Trip

CellarTracker: 2014 New York Wine Experience Trip

Colin [cheers.gif]

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#2113 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » August 11th, 2019, 10:39 am

Paul Jaouen wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 9:05 am
Dined at Le Jardinier last evening with friends. Ambiance is lovely, service was excellent and food was beautifully plated and very good. Corkage is $60 with one bottle limit per couple and can't be on their list. List is not very deep but one can find something that pleases. I would return.
Thanks for the note. I was hoping to roll this into the business dinner rotation and am glad to hear it isn’t a dud.

Jay Opperman

#2114 Post by Jay Opperman » August 15th, 2019, 8:42 am

Jeff Bloom wrote:

You should try Rezdora....fabulous relaxed Trattoria with amazing Pasta and wonderful cooking!

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2115 Post by Ethan Abraham » August 15th, 2019, 10:09 am

Jay Opperman wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 8:42 am
Jeff Bloom wrote:

You should try Rezdora....fabulous relaxed Trattoria with amazing Pasta and wonderful cooking!
I think pretty impossible to get a table now that it's gotten great reviews.

Shun and Jardiniere (same building) both from an ex-robuchon lieutenant sound good.

WvanGorp

#2116 Post by WvanGorp » August 15th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Shun is extraordinary.
Wilfred van Gorp

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2117 Post by Ethan Abraham » August 15th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Looking forward to it!

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2118 Post by Greg K » August 15th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Ethan Abraham wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 10:09 am
Jay Opperman wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 8:42 am
Jeff Bloom wrote:

I think pretty impossible to get a table now that it's gotten great reviews.
Sadly true - but great food.
Greg Kahn

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#2119 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » August 16th, 2019, 11:16 am

Plenty of walkins though at Rezdora. Good area to do walkins too...

Julius L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2120 Post by Julius L » August 16th, 2019, 9:54 pm

For a midtown Italian, I would recommend Remi. It's been around a long time (because it's consistantly good - food and service). I was there a couple of months ago and it did not disappoint.
L = L@$Øff

Robert Dentice

#2121 Post by Robert Dentice » August 17th, 2019, 8:27 am

Went to Tori Shin last night and although good it was not what it once was and nowhere near at the same very high level as a meal last week at Secchu Yokota. I am not surprised they lost their star.

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#2122 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » August 17th, 2019, 8:29 am

What a bummer to hear...

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”