New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2001 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » April 15th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Ops is on my hitlist in May! Thanks for the Contra x Pujol pics. Have a reservation at the real deal for early June (drool)

Rama Roberts

#2002 Post by Rama Roberts » April 19th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Thanks all, for the suggestions in this thread. I was in the lower east side earlier for the first part of this week and tried several places mentioned here.

Night 1: Ivan Ramen. I had the brussel sprouts and the chicken paitain. Both very good but too salty for my tastes. Impressive beer selection.

Night 2: Contra. The food was excellent. I did the wine pairing knowing it was natural wines, and was mostly disappointed. One showed hints of sherry, one fecal, one (intentionally or not) had a stuck fermentation and tasted and smelled like unfermented grape juice. There was a rose of Syrah however that was excellent. Good overall experience.

Night 3: Una Pizza Napoletana. I'm used to more heavily adorned pizzas (like the Starita at Don Antonio), but the margarita here was simple and delicious. It really let the ingredients and preparation shine. Very relaxing atmosphere.

Day 4 brunch before my flight: Russ & Daughters. Glad I had some extra time, because I had to wait at 11am even for a single spot at the bar. Worth it though, I will be back.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2003 Post by mark rudner » April 22nd, 2019, 2:23 pm

Night 2: Contra. The food was excellent. I did the wine pairing knowing it was natural wines, and was mostly disappointed. One showed hints of sherry, one fecal, one (intentionally or not) had a stuck fermentation and tasted and smelled like unfermented grape juice. There was a rose of Syrah however that was excellent. Good overall experience.

amazing that contra provided a good overall experience with 3 wines like that. my last pairing at ko was much like that.l
4 great choices btw. don't remember ivan being over salted

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”