New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2001 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » April 15th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Ops is on my hitlist in May! Thanks for the Contra x Pujol pics. Have a reservation at the real deal for early June (drool)

R Roberts

#2002 Post by R Roberts » April 19th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Thanks all, for the suggestions in this thread. I was in the lower east side earlier for the first part of this week and tried several places mentioned here.

Night 1: Ivan Ramen. I had the brussel sprouts and the chicken paitain. Both very good but too salty for my tastes. Impressive beer selection.

Night 2: Contra. The food was excellent. I did the wine pairing knowing it was natural wines, and was mostly disappointed. One showed hints of sherry, one fecal, one (intentionally or not) had a stuck fermentation and tasted and smelled like unfermented grape juice. There was a rose of Syrah however that was excellent. Good overall experience.

Night 3: Una Pizza Napoletana. I'm used to more heavily adorned pizzas (like the Starita at Don Antonio), but the margarita here was simple and delicious. It really let the ingredients and preparation shine. Very relaxing atmosphere.

Day 4 brunch before my flight: Russ & Daughters. Glad I had some extra time, because I had to wait at 11am even for a single spot at the bar. Worth it though, I will be back.
R.ama

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2003 Post by mark rudner » April 22nd, 2019, 2:23 pm

Night 2: Contra. The food was excellent. I did the wine pairing knowing it was natural wines, and was mostly disappointed. One showed hints of sherry, one fecal, one (intentionally or not) had a stuck fermentation and tasted and smelled like unfermented grape juice. There was a rose of Syrah however that was excellent. Good overall experience.

amazing that contra provided a good overall experience with 3 wines like that. my last pairing at ko was much like that.l
4 great choices btw. don't remember ivan being over salted

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#2004 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » May 7th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Went to Cosme for lunch today. Was my first time there since my very disappointing meal shortly after they opened. Pleasantly surprised by how good this visit was. Shared a number of dishes with a friend and six out of seven were interesting and excellent. The only miss for me was the Grey sole, macadamia mole, sake dish. The sauce overwhelmed the subtle flavors of the sole. Pleasant and attentive staff including a very humble yet qualified somm. An older Krug Grande Cuvee and an '08 Keller (don't remember the specifics) were both good matches for the food. My friend brought the Keller and drinks quite a bit of it and said Keller's '08's are atypical for him. If tasted blind, I would have guessed Frederic Emile. Was very good, just not what I was expecting.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Robert Dentice

#2005 Post by Robert Dentice » May 7th, 2019, 1:48 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 1:33 pm
Went to Cosme for lunch today. Was my first time there since my very disappointing meal shortly after they opened. Pleasantly surprised by how good this visit was. Shared a number of dishes with a friend and six out of seven were interesting and excellent. The only miss for me was the Grey sole, macadamia mole, sake dish. The sauce overwhelmed the subtle flavors of the sole. Pleasant and attentive staff including a very humble yet qualified somm. An older Krug Grande Cuvee and an '08 Keller (don't remember the specifics) were both good matches for the food. My friend brought the Keller and drinks quite a bit of it and said Keller's '08's are atypical for him. If tasted blind, I would have guessed Frederic Emile. Was very good, just not what I was expecting.
Had a great dinner there a couple of months ago, can't wait to go back.

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2006 Post by G. Keeler » May 10th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Was in NY for work last week. First night I met a friend at Pasquale Jones. Shared a few starters and some pizza. I thought the food was very good and the wine list was great for a casual restaurant. Roulot and the clam pizza was awesome together. Second night went to Casa Lever for a big group dinner. Private room worked well, service was excellent and food was fine for what it was. Last night was at King which I really enjoyed. Very nice homey dishes like braised rabbit with fava beans and roasted pork and fresh vegetables. I would be a regular if it was in my neighborhood.
G L E N N

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#2007 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » May 16th, 2019, 8:03 am

Quick pizza-rundown:

- Ops: king-of-the-pizza-hill
- Paulie Gee's Slice Shop: Their instagram consultant went overboard...Slices are crispy though!
- Pasquale Jones: Another solid experience, but if you took away the wine list / zaltos / 0 corkage on wine bought, not sure I'd go as often...

Robert Dentice

#2008 Post by Robert Dentice » May 16th, 2019, 10:57 am

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 8:03 am
Quick pizza-rundown:

- Ops: king-of-the-pizza-hill
- Paulie Gee's Slice Shop: Their instagram consultant went overboard...Slices are crispy though!
- Pasquale Jones: Another solid experience, but if you took away the wine list / zaltos / 0 corkage on wine bought, not sure I'd go as often...
Agree on Ops!

Paulie Gee's - I went for the first time a few weeks ago and was extremely disappointed in the slice shop. I did learn they do vegan pizzas at the main restaurant which I noted as I often get asked for restaurant recommendations suitable for vegans.

Pasquale Jones - I order delivery through trycaviar and I am stunned at how good the food is including Pizza considering the path it takes to get to me.

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2009 Post by Scott Jameson » May 17th, 2019, 3:27 pm

We'll be in NYC over July 4th and are planning to brave the masses and try to watch the fireworks. Any restaurant suggestions in the Seaport area ? We 're not looking for an amazing dining experience or an incredible wine list, but hoping to hear some ideas here so I'm not stuck with TripAdvisor as a guide. We did manage to get a reservation on OpenTable for R17 but not surprisingly, they called a few days later and said they would be closed. I have no idea about the food, but the location looked perfect. Oh well ...

Robert Dentice

#2010 Post by Robert Dentice » May 18th, 2019, 5:26 am

Scott Jameson wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 3:27 pm
We'll be in NYC over July 4th and are planning to brave the masses and try to watch the fireworks. Any restaurant suggestions in the Seaport area ? We 're not looking for an amazing dining experience or an incredible wine list, but hoping to hear some ideas here so I'm not stuck with TripAdvisor as a guide. We did manage to get a reservation on OpenTable for R17 but not surprisingly, they called a few days later and said they would be closed. I have no idea about the food, but the location looked perfect. Oh well ...

Curious why you don't want an amazing experience or incredible wine list? You are in the best restaurant city in the U.S. A couple of ideas we happened to be in the city last year on July 4th and Frenchette was open it is fairly close to the Seaport and check to see if Blue Ribbon Federal Grill is open.

WvanGorp

#2011 Post by WvanGorp » May 19th, 2019, 10:58 am

I would suspect the firework views would be incredible from Manhatta.
Wilfred van Gorp

Ramon C

#2012 Post by Ramon C » May 19th, 2019, 1:51 pm

Scott Jameson wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 3:27 pm
Jean-George’s latest The Fulton had just opened in SSS.
@brera

doug johnson

#2013 Post by doug johnson » May 19th, 2019, 9:01 pm

Anyone been to L'Appart?

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2014 Post by Scott Jameson » May 20th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 5:26 am
Curious why you don't want an amazing experience or incredible wine list? You are in the best restaurant city in the U.S.
Sorry I wasn't clear … What I was trying to say was that those items weren't the priority, the location is. If I can get an incredible wine list and amazing food somewhere accessible to the fireworks, that would be great … and what I was hoping you all could point me toward. I do see some good suggestions here, and I thank all of you for them. Most seem to take reservations 28 or 30 days out, so I'll be busy early next month trying to nail something down. In the mean time, if anything else comes to mind, please share !

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2015 Post by Michael Sopher » May 20th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Scott Jameson wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 1:33 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 5:26 am
Curious why you don't want an amazing experience or incredible wine list? You are in the best restaurant city in the U.S.
Sorry I wasn't clear … What I was trying to say was that those items weren't the priority, the location is. If I can get an incredible wine list and amazing food somewhere accessible to the fireworks, that would be great … and what I was hoping you all could point me toward. I do see some good suggestions here, and I thank all of you for them. Most seem to take reservations 28 or 30 days out, so I'll be busy early next month trying to nail something down. In the mean time, if anything else comes to mind, please share !
If you can get a rez at Manhatta for say 8:00 or 8:30 on the 4th, might be best possible views and food combo

https://www.manhattarestaurant.com/menus/

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2016 Post by Scott Jameson » May 20th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Michael Sopher wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 2:16 pm
If you can get a rez at Manhatta for say 8:00 or 8:30 on the 4th, might be best possible views and food combo

Both you and Wilfred mentioned Manhatta. It looks like a great choice. I've eaten at a couple of Danny Meyer's restaurants and have always been very pleased with them.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2017 Post by Jay Miller » May 21st, 2019, 7:12 am

This is the first I'm hearing about Manhatta. No previous notes on this thread. The views look fantastic (checking the website), how is the food?
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Mike Cohen

#2018 Post by Mike Cohen » May 21st, 2019, 7:20 am

Where can I get the best fish taco in NYC? I really love the tacos at Empellon, but those are fancy. I'm talking super tasty, but super casual tacos.

Mike Cohen

#2019 Post by Mike Cohen » May 21st, 2019, 7:22 am

Jay Miller wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 7:12 am
This is the first I'm hearing about Manhatta. No previous notes on this thread. The views look fantastic (checking the website), how is the food?
It's a block from my office. I've been for drinks several times but never for dinner. The view are indeed fantastic and they have binoculars on the bar. Not sure which I like better, daytime views or nighttime views. Both great.

WvanGorp

#2020 Post by WvanGorp » May 21st, 2019, 7:22 am

Jay Miller wrote:
Good enough. It’s more of a view place but the food is fine.
Wilfred van Gorp

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2021 Post by Jay Miller » May 21st, 2019, 7:30 am

WvanGorp wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 7:22 am
Jay Miller wrote:
Good enough. It’s more of a view place but the food is fine.
Thank you Wilfred!

Ramon C

#2022 Post by Ramon C » May 21st, 2019, 7:47 am

Mike Cohen wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 7:20 am
Where can I get the best fish taco in NYC? I really love the tacos at Empellon, but those are fancy. I'm talking super tasty, but super casual tacos.
I've not had Empellon's, but we enjoyed our tacos here:

https://www.oxomoconyc.com/menus/#dinner-1
@brera

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2023 Post by Jay Miller » May 21st, 2019, 8:09 am

If you're willing to hop on the PATH train Tacqueria Downtown (236 Grove St.) makes a fine fish taco and is about a 5 minute walk from the Grove St. PATH station.

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2024 Post by Michael Sopher » May 21st, 2019, 8:10 am

Mike Cohen wrote:
Los Mariscos (sister of Los Tacos #1)

https://www.losmariscos1.com/

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2025 Post by Michael Sopher » May 21st, 2019, 8:14 am

Scott Jameson wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 3:31 pm
Michael Sopher wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Both you and Wilfred mentioned Manhatta. It looks like a great choice. I've eaten at a couple of Danny Meyer's restaurants and have always been very pleased with them.
There are other more July 4th-"ish" options too. A number of "beachy" bars exist on the Brooklyn side of the east river that charge like $80 a head for hot dogs, beer and truly fantastic views of the fireworks.

Mark Gilje

#2026 Post by Mark Gilje » May 21st, 2019, 11:33 am

Is there anything comparable to the now-closed Artisanal for cheese/wine combo? Looking for some place for lunch.

MBerto

#2027 Post by MBerto » May 22nd, 2019, 1:13 pm

A co-worker recently came back from a fancy dinner in NYC - I asked where exactly and he said "Let me check; let's see, invite doesn't say, but address is 11 Madison Park".
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

Robert Dentice

#2028 Post by Robert Dentice » May 22nd, 2019, 2:44 pm

MBerto wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 1:13 pm
A co-worker recently came back from a fancy dinner in NYC - I asked where exactly and he said "Let me check; let's see, invite doesn't say, but address is 11 Madison Park".
That is really funny.

A Rubin Stein

#2029 Post by A Rubin Stein » May 23rd, 2019, 8:35 am

Mark Gilje wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 11:33 am
Is there anything comparable to the now-closed Artisanal for cheese/wine combo? Looking for some place for lunch.
You might have a look at https://www.casellulahk.com/
But know that it's much more low key than Artisanal was.
a s h e r

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2030 Post by RyanC » May 23rd, 2019, 10:10 am

On Tuesday I had a supremely enjoyable meal at the Momofuku Ko bar. I had a sourdough crepe with caviar, the cold fried chicken, and skate curry with the most delicious rice, and I drank '16 Keller Hubacker off the list. Everything was delicious. The bar has almost all the advantages of the main restaurant--well-executed and very satisfying food, a great atmosphere and aesthetic, and excellent wine list and wine service--without the necessity of a lengthy $250 tasting menu (which I enjoy, but I'm not going to do it all the time). I suspect this will become my go-to post-flight place in NY. I'm shocked it's not busier.
C@ughey

ybarselah

#2031 Post by ybarselah » May 23rd, 2019, 10:31 am

RyanC wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 10:10 am
On Tuesday I had a supremely enjoyable meal at the Momofuku Ko bar. I had a sourdough crepe with caviar, the cold fried chicken, and skate curry with the most delicious rice, and I drank '16 Keller Hubacker off the list. Everything was delicious. The bar has almost all the advantages of the main restaurant--well-executed and very satisfying food, a great atmosphere and aesthetic, and excellent wine list and wine service--without the necessity of a lengthy $250 tasting menu (which I enjoy, but I'm not going to do it all the time). I suspect this will become my go-to post-flight place in NY. I'm shocked it's not busier.
have gone a few times and totally agree. i think it's one of the best restaurants and dining experiences in the city.
Yaacov (ITB)

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2032 Post by scamhi » May 23rd, 2019, 10:33 am

Jay Miller wrote:
I found the view great and the food OK nothing great. disclaimer- we were there during the 4-6 weeks they were open.
it is a 3 course prix fixe menu ($88.00) and our waiter tried to up sell and order more food.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#2033 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » May 26th, 2019, 11:53 am

Michael Sopher wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 8:10 am
Mike Cohen wrote:

Winner winner fish taco dinner.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2034 Post by mark rudner » May 27th, 2019, 7:02 am

May 26th, 2019, 11:53 am
Michael Sopher wrote:
Mike Cohen wrote:

agreed
and the coldest pacificos i've ever had!

Mark Gilje

#2035 Post by Mark Gilje » May 28th, 2019, 7:25 am

A Rubin Stein wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 8:35 am
Mark Gilje wrote:
Thanks for the response. Wish it was open at lunch, but appears to be only open for dinner.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2036 Post by Jay Miller » May 28th, 2019, 7:40 am

Mark Gilje wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 7:25 am
A Rubin Stein wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 8:35 am
Mark Gilje wrote:
Thanks for the response. Wish it was open at lunch, but appears to be only open for dinner.
Murray's Cheese Bar seems like a good fit. Not open for lunch during the week but is open for brunch on weekends.

https://www.murrayscheesebar.com/

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2037 Post by Sh@n A » May 28th, 2019, 8:01 am

Jay Miller wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 7:40 am
Murray's Cheese Bar seems like a good fit. Not open for lunch during the week but is open for brunch on weekends.

https://www.murrayscheesebar.com/
I have not been here before: http://beecherscellar.com/menu/
Top level is a cheese store, and bottom is a restaurant called the "cellar" (which may have wine?)
/ @ g r @ \

Zachary Ross

#2038 Post by Zachary Ross » May 30th, 2019, 2:52 pm

December 31st, 2018, 12:46 pm
Awesome Robert. Am between trying it and Oxalis next time I do something Brooklyn-y.

Did you ever go to Oxalis? I'm headed there in a couple of weeks.
Iroulégeek.

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#2039 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » June 2nd, 2019, 7:18 am

I didn’t...I called before they had a liquor license but they didn’t allow corkage so ended up at oxomoco instead. Looking forward to your notes!

Mark Gilje

#2040 Post by Mark Gilje » June 3rd, 2019, 12:35 pm

Thanks for the responses on the cheese lunch question. It would be on a Thursday. May have to do it as a picnic....or go find some pizza instead.

julianseersmartin

#2041 Post by julianseersmartin » June 3rd, 2019, 1:20 pm

Any particular recommendations for Williamsburg? Am staying there for a few days next week. Will endeavour to get to Ko bar.

Robert Dentice

#2042 Post by Robert Dentice » June 3rd, 2019, 1:36 pm

julianseersmartin wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 1:20 pm
Any particular recommendations for Williamsburg? Am staying there for a few days next week. Will endeavour to get to Ko bar.
So MANY options...what are you looking for.

A few of my favorites:

Aska - 2 star Michelin restaurant focused on Nordic cuisines. If you don't want to do the tasting menu you can sit in the Garden and choose from a small snack menu of 4 items.

Four Horseman - great Paris like bistro focused on mostly Natural wine.

Okonomi - Great Japanese breakfast.

This is a decent list.

https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-williams ... urants-nyc

TR Barry
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2043 Post by TR Barry » June 3rd, 2019, 3:32 pm

Just returned from a quick work trip to New York last week. Given the limited time and requirements of dining with colleagues I was happy with the outcome.

Wednesday evening dinner was at Simon & The Whale with standouts being the crudo and sugar snap peas for small plates and the squid ink tagliatelle and brook trout for large plates. Drank an interesting Domaine Sait Cyr Pet-Nat that was 100% Gamay that played a nice supporting role with the food.

Thursday dinner at Marta was enjoyable with the Burrata starter and the Casino pizza being my favorites.

Friday I was able to grab a quick bite at Laut following a client visit. Amazing depth of flavor on the Mussaman Curry and Paad See Ew complemented by a Tiger beer was just what I needed before the 1.5 hour taxi ride to JFK.
Todd- Lost In The White Room

julianseersmartin

#2044 Post by julianseersmartin » June 3rd, 2019, 4:17 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 1:36 pm
julianseersmartin wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 1:20 pm
So MANY options...what are you looking for.

A few of my favorites:

Aska - 2 star Michelin restaurant focused on Nordic cuisines. If you don't want to do the tasting menu you can sit in the Garden and choose from a small snack menu of 4 items.

Four Horseman - great Paris like bistro focused on mostly Natural wine.

Okonomi - Great Japanese breakfast.

This is a decent list.

https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-williams ... urants-nyc
Thank you so much - those are pretty much all I need!

Zachary Ross

#2045 Post by Zachary Ross » June 4th, 2019, 4:26 am

That Eater NY list is great. Among those on the list, St. Anselm is a favorite. Diner is also terrific.
Iroulégeek.

awilliamson4

#2046 Post by awilliamson4 » June 4th, 2019, 8:11 am

A PSA from two dinners in NYC last week.
TAK ROOM at Hudson yards is Thomas Keller's throwback to the 50's restaurant. I really enjoyed it. As one would expect flawless service and all the food was really good. It is super expensive but the amount of detail put into everything from the cocktails to the atmosphere to the table side preparations probably justify it.

Crown Shy- You heard it here first...this will be named Best New Restaurant in the US by a major publication or two this year. It is just awesome. The atmosphere is fantastic, the concept is timely and the food is unreal. It is the most exciting food I have eaten in America in the last 3 years. Michelin quality food served in an unpretentious way. Incredible cocktails. World class pastry work. I will be back.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

Barry L i p t o n

#2047 Post by Barry L i p t o n » June 4th, 2019, 11:38 am

Crown Shy serves what type of food?

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2048 Post by mark rudner » June 4th, 2019, 11:42 am

i saw the picture of the chicken liver/ horseradish pasta at crown shy shortly after it opened and knew i had to go. soon.
still haven't made it!

awilliamson4

#2049 Post by awilliamson4 » June 4th, 2019, 11:49 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 11:38 am
Crown Shy serves what type of food?
New American. These are ex Eleven Madison Park alums.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

Rich Salsano

#2050 Post by Rich Salsano » June 4th, 2019, 5:54 pm

May 26th, 2019, 11:53 am
Michael Sopher wrote:
Mike Cohen wrote:

Went here for the first time tonight thanks to the recommendation. Really fantastic. Probably the best fish tacos I have had outside of Maui to be honest.
Richard Salsano

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”