New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Robert Dentice

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1951 Post by Robert Dentice » March 11th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Some recent meals

Contra - fantastic as always

Unagi--Ya Hachibei - I really enjoyed this. Felt like I was transported to Japan. A very black and DIY type spot on East 53rd street. The Unagi was overall very good. No wine only Sake & Beer.

Contra x Pujol - This was an outstanding popup. That really showcased Pujol's cooking. My pictures were not that great so I am highlighting others in attendance and it was a who's who of foodie and industry types. I almost booked a trip to Mexico city as soon as we got home.

https://www.instagram.com/h20gony/

After Contra x Pujol I decided to hit up Cosme. It has been awhile since I was there last. Overall excellent. The Duck carnitas were delicious...just a WOW dish!

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1952 Post by mark rudner » March 11th, 2019, 3:08 pm

the unagi and cobia collar look outrageous!!!
thanks robert

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#1953 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » March 12th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Wanted to circle back on the vegetarian foray. We settled on Dirt Candy which was meh / meh+. 9 course tasting. Several were a bit contrived, others were quite delicious. I wasn't a huge fan of the sweet dishes (2). However, its a gratuity included menu and eminently reasonable ($95 all in for the 9 course). Corkage at $35 with grat included is also very reasonable. Great service, decent ambiance.

Barry L i p t o n

#1954 Post by Barry L i p t o n » March 12th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 4:34 pm
Wanted to circle back on the vegetarian foray. We settled on Dirt Candy which was meh / meh+. 9 course tasting. Several were a bit contrived, others were quite delicious. I wasn't a huge fan of the sweet dishes (2). However, its a gratuity included menu and eminently reasonable ($95 all in for the 9 course). Corkage at $35 with grat included is also very reasonable. Great service, decent ambiance.
Thanks for the update. Very similar to my meal, except it averaged slightly higher than meh+ (but like you, there were clunkers in the meal, and I felt I got lucky with what I ordered overal).

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#1955 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » March 15th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Anyone make it over to Wayan? Trying to snag a table for next week, but also in the running for Frenchette or Mimi. I'm surprised Mimi doesn't garner as much attention after such a hyped opening...

Ramon C

#1956 Post by Ramon C » March 15th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Dined at Mimi over 2 years ago (I'm sure I posted here, somewhere). Good bistro, somewhat close to rustic, French fare. Didn't seem like it was a hyped restaurant then.
@brera

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#1957 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » March 16th, 2019, 8:46 am

I do recall your note Ramon and it compelled me to get a reservation. If we end up going I’ll report back!

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”