New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
User avatar
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡
Posts: 2445
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1801 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » December 16th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Dinner last night at Otis in Bushwick. Very Bushwicky, but like Bushwick 2018 not Bushwick 2010. Hipster fancy, good cocktail list, not worth bothering over the wines. Scene is decidedly young, perhaps a bit too Trustifarian given the px point.

Dishes are eminently shareable, we had a good chunk of the menu. Highlights were deboned market fish (trout) in an xo and chimichurri sauce, braised pork shoulder gigli pasta with ricotta, as well as the buratta. When in Rome...

User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6121
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1802 Post by K John Joseph » December 18th, 2018, 7:58 am

Folks,

Any advice for pre or post-theater dinner near the Barrymore Theater? Have tickets to The Band's Visit and need a dinner option to go with it.

Thanks
J0hn-J-K4ne

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1803 Post by mark rudner » December 18th, 2018, 8:15 am

don antonio for pizza etc
esca for italian seafood/pasta
ippudo west for ramen
all pretty close

Jonathan Kalman
Posts: 331
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 7:17 am
Location: Jerusalem

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1804 Post by Jonathan Kalman » December 18th, 2018, 10:44 am

La Masseria on 48th St

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3325
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1805 Post by Ramon C » December 18th, 2018, 11:30 am

K John Joseph wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 7:58 am
Folks,

Any advice for pre or post-theater dinner near the Barrymore Theater? Have tickets to The Band's Visit and need a dinner option to go with it.

Thanks
Times Square and Theater District are mostly a no-go for many locals here. Restaurants are simply not as desirable as in other Manhattan neighborhoods. Having said that, if I had to dine in the area, these are the ones that I would go to, plus, they would be < 10-minute walk to your theater:

+1 for Don Antoni’s pizza recommendation above

I’ll add:

Db Bistro Moderne – it’s a Boulud restaurant, but in Times Square
Casellula – tapas-sized portions; good food and nice mostly-Italian wines by the glass
Donburiya – very, very casual, Izakaya joint; used to be a majority favorite in my East-side neighborhood
@brera

A Rubin Stein
Posts: 169
Joined: September 13th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1806 Post by A Rubin Stein » December 18th, 2018, 12:37 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 7:58 am
Folks,

Any advice for pre or post-theater dinner near the Barrymore Theater? Have tickets to The Band's Visit and need a dinner option to go with it.

Thanks
As others have said, slim pickings in Times Square/Theater District for much that is more than mediocre.
However, based on the Instagram posts of ajojedapons, the Lambs Club may be a choice for you. I've not been, but this poster is the wine director there and seems to open some great bottles.
a s h e r

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1807 Post by mark rudner » December 18th, 2018, 2:26 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 5:44 pm
Jay,
This looks to be the ticket for Sunday roast dinner on the Sunday before Christmas. Do you know their corkage policy? Thanks.

until you read this...

https://ny.eater.com/2018/12/18/1814363 ... ner-center

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 673
Joined: January 1st, 2010, 3:51 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1808 Post by mmarcellus » December 18th, 2018, 2:45 pm

mark rudner wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 2:26 pm
M.Kaplan wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 5:44 pm
Jay,
This looks to be the ticket for Sunday roast dinner on the Sunday before Christmas. Do you know their corkage policy? Thanks.

until you read this...

https://ny.eater.com/2018/12/18/1814363 ... ner-center
It's been a very bad day for Bluebird London:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/dini ... eview.html
M @ r k

User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6121
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1809 Post by K John Joseph » December 18th, 2018, 3:18 pm

Thanks, gents. Much appreciated.
J0hn-J-K4ne

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4618
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1810 Post by M.Kaplan » December 18th, 2018, 3:44 pm

I'm booked for Sunday roast and, given that Ryan Sutton is a terrible critic, may go anyway. Wells is better, but not much.

So.... If not Bluebird, where should we go on Sunday night where we can get in? One of us is fishaphobic. Midtown and up. Thanks.
---Mark

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3325
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1811 Post by Ramon C » December 21st, 2018, 2:57 pm

If there's interest for Korean foods, with on-table barbecue grills, there's a newish place called Bap at Murray Hill. I've been here 2X already, including a 10-people dinner last night that was universally positive for all. Not the fancy type, e.g. Cote steakhouse, with mostly youngish professional-looking Asian groups and young families, but this very casual place pleased. I don't eat enough Korean foods, nor know enough about Korean dishes, but this place is very good for my taste, plus the staff were very efficient and accommodating.

We brought wines, were provided stem wares that were B/B- at my estimation, and were charged, at what we all agreed as a reasonable $20 per bottle.

https://www.bap516a.com/
@brera

User avatar
Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19343
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:55 pm
Location: North/Central NJ

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1812 Post by Steve Manzi » December 22nd, 2018, 8:48 am

We were going to go visit family in Boston, but decided against that long drive.......

Are there any OPEN Manhattan Restaurants or Wine Bars that might be fun on Christmas Eve? We were thinking that it might be fun, but really, how many nice places would even be open?
________________________________________
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but silence of friends" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

User avatar
Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1133
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 10:34 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1813 Post by Ethan Abraham » December 22nd, 2018, 9:06 am

Some of the Danny Meyer places are open, looks like maialino has regular hours and Marta is open but closes early. https://www.ushgnyc.com/celebrate-with-ushg/

User avatar
R@y.Tupp@+sch
Posts: 2233
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 8:22 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1814 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » December 22nd, 2018, 10:17 am

Marea is open 365 days a year.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3325
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1815 Post by Ramon C » December 22nd, 2018, 11:18 am

Steve Manzi wrote:
December 22nd, 2018, 8:48 am
We were going to go visit family in Boston, but decided against that long drive.......

Are there any OPEN Manhattan Restaurants or Wine Bars that might be fun on Christmas Eve? We were thinking that it might be fun, but really, how many nice places would even be open?
Many. Problem is how available reservations would be at this time. Some restaurants in my proximity that are open include Simon & The Whale and Ferris. Leonti in UWS was in our plans, but we decided to stay close to home.
@brera

User avatar
Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19343
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:55 pm
Location: North/Central NJ

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1816 Post by Steve Manzi » December 22nd, 2018, 1:01 pm

Thanks Ramon. Was just wondering if there were options that might be open. I'll check some of those out.
________________________________________
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but silence of friends" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4618
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1817 Post by M.Kaplan » December 22nd, 2018, 1:54 pm

Ate a very fun dinner at Red Rooster last night. Loved it. Food (Fried Bird Royale!) was very good, vibe tremendous. I always love being the oldest guy in a place.
---Mark

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1818 Post by mark rudner » December 22nd, 2018, 2:30 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
December 22nd, 2018, 1:54 pm
Ate a very fun dinner at Red Rooster last night. Loved it. Food (Fried Bird Royale!) was very good, vibe tremendous. I always love being the oldest guy in a place.
funny. i used to love being the youngest (paying) guy in a place [cheers.gif]

User avatar
Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19343
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:55 pm
Location: North/Central NJ

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1819 Post by Steve Manzi » December 22nd, 2018, 2:36 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
December 22nd, 2018, 1:54 pm
........ I always love being the oldest guy in a place.
Damn, you must be pretty happy every time you go out to eat. champagne.gif
________________________________________
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but silence of friends" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3325
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1820 Post by Ramon C » December 22nd, 2018, 4:25 pm

Steve Manzi wrote:
December 22nd, 2018, 1:01 pm
Thanks Ramon. Was just wondering if there were options that might be open. I'll check some of those out.
Ortzi, a Spanish restaurant in the Midtown area , is open with p-f Christmas Eve/Day menu that we highly considered and actually pre-booked. We passed as family emergency changed our holiday plans.
@brera

User avatar
Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19343
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:55 pm
Location: North/Central NJ

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1821 Post by Steve Manzi » December 23rd, 2018, 6:58 am

Thanks again Ramon. We decided to stay in NJ and do something here. Appreciate the attempts to help. Have a Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday!
________________________________________
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but silence of friends" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6121
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1822 Post by K John Joseph » December 27th, 2018, 9:48 am

Ate at Esca and The Bar Room at the Modern.

Bar Room at The Modern was one of the most satisfying meals I've had in a while. Service was exceptional. Our waiter, Jackson, was knowledgeable and honest (don't get the shrimp app, it's not good), present when needed and invisible when not. Just wonderful. The carrot and smoke chevre rilletes were brilliant. My celeriac soup with fontina and jamon grilled cheese with ham hock was to die for. I'm still craving it. And my pork 3 ways (sausage, tenderloin, pork belly) with cabbage and mustard was epic. It's really 4 ways, as the cabbage is cooked in pork stock. It was an ingenious dish. It really was top shelf, with perfect execution and harmony of flavors. I had a pumpkin tart for dessert that was similarly well executed, with both pumpkin pie filling (but really special), and a ring of caramelized pumpkin, as in the squash. The result was something far better than just a pumpkin pie tart. It evoked the fall/winter, had this delightful warmth of flavor, and a nice almost savory note from the squash that accentuated the sweetness of the rest of the dish. Sensational.

I did not like my wife's meal nearly as much as mine. The roasted avocado with crab needed acid. It was too heavy and almost cloying in its richness. She had a nice glass of Savart rose, whose acidity and mousse helped keep the dish's head above water. She had scallops next, which were very good, but not on the same level as my pork. Her dessert was excellent, a crispy french toast like thing with salted caramel and mocha ice cream with a chocolate sheet tent.

Had a RAEN 2015 Royal St. Robert, which was priced rather high but was very good with our dishes.

And finally, a restaurant that is actually proud of its Gin list.

Esca before the show (The Band's Visit -- as an aside, this won 10 Tony's? Really? I mean I liked it, but did not find it particularly great) was a restaurant that served food, some of which was good. Big eye tuna crudo was enjoyable and brightened with capers and lemon. White bean bruschetta was a bit heavy and uninspiring. Little bay scallops with citrus fruit was yummy, although the elements didn't really go great together. My wife's gnocchi was excellent. Light, fluffy, and delicious. My clam and chili pasta was overwhelmingly salty. They prefaced it with "no salt added" just cooked in its brine. If that's the case, they need to drain some brine and replace it with tap water because it was really salty and I have a high tolerance for salt. Overall, I'd say the restaurant was fine, though not a place I'd seek out again.
One plus was the wine list, which was fairly nice and with a broad range of prices on its Italian and Champagne selections. Also, the sommelier/wine director was a black female, which is nearly unheard of from my experience. So cheers for that! She was very knowledgeable and fun to chat with. We quickly agreed on a champagne selection, and the table next to ours was ecstatic with the wine she chose for them (at their request).
J0hn-J-K4ne

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1533
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1823 Post by Robert Dentice » December 28th, 2018, 3:45 am

K John Joseph wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 9:48 am
Ate at Esca and The Bar Room at the Modern.

Bar Room at The Modern was one of the most satisfying meals I've had in a while. Service was exceptional. Our waiter, Jackson, was knowledgeable and honest (don't get the shrimp app, it's not good), present when needed and invisible when not. Just wonderful. The carrot and smoke chevre rilletes were brilliant. My celeriac soup with fontina and jamon grilled cheese with ham hock was to die for. I'm still craving it. And my pork 3 ways (sausage, tenderloin, pork belly) with cabbage and mustard was epic. It's really 4 ways, as the cabbage is cooked in pork stock. It was an ingenious dish. It really was top shelf, with perfect execution and harmony of flavors. I had a pumpkin tart for dessert that was similarly well executed, with both pumpkin pie filling (but really special), and a ring of caramelized pumpkin, as in the squash. The result was something far better than just a pumpkin pie tart. It evoked the fall/winter, had this delightful warmth of flavor, and a nice almost savory note from the squash that accentuated the sweetness of the rest of the dish. Sensational.

I did not like my wife's meal nearly as much as mine. The roasted avocado with crab needed acid. It was too heavy and almost cloying in its richness. She had a nice glass of Savart rose, whose acidity and mousse helped keep the dish's head above water. She had scallops next, which were very good, but not on the same level as my pork. Her dessert was excellent, a crispy french toast like thing with salted caramel and mocha ice cream with a chocolate sheet tent.

Had a RAEN 2015 Royal St. Robert, which was priced rather high but was very good with our dishes.

And finally, a restaurant that is actually proud of its Gin list.
I absolutely love The Modern Bar. The wine list has many fantastic values (you have to factor in that the tip is already included). The food is very interesting, I get the Carrott Rillettes every time. It is an oasis in the midst of the wasteland of mediocre midtown restaurants. The only one of Danny Meyers restaurants that does it for me.

User avatar
Peter Hirsch
Posts: 2758
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1824 Post by Peter Hirsch » December 28th, 2018, 5:52 am

To the question about where to eat when you're going to the theater in NYC

Yeah, I know. No great restaurants around there. But I have to say. I like Bond 45. Yeah it's huge. Yeah it's loud. Yeah it's really crowded with (mostly?) out of towners. But I'm still a fan. Good range of food. Things well prepared. Reasonable price points. Perfect location. I've even gone here when not going to the theater, with a larger group. It's not 11 Madison Park, but it's solid.

https://www.bond45ny.com

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1825 Post by mark rudner » December 28th, 2018, 12:43 pm

robert
that carrot dish is brilliant. happy new year

yesterday was my friend's bday so we went a bit off...the grill for champagne and crabcakes, marea for octopus fusilli and a crispy italian white, ai fiori for white truffle covered simple pasta and a nice etna rosso and then an uber
there were no disappointments, with the crabcake being the standout.
cheers [cheers.gif]

Mark Thompson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18
Joined: April 25th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1826 Post by Mark Thompson » December 28th, 2018, 2:07 pm

NYC restaurant ideas: I’m setting up a business dinner in NYC in a couple of weeks - was hoping there might be a a few options folks might recommend based on the following constraints (I reached out to the concierge, but thought I might get better results here):

1). Within a 10 minute or so walk from the Four Seasons in mid-town.

2) A place with some reasonably quiet spaces (or maybe private space) for 6-8 people. Doesn’t have to be REALLY quiet - I just want everyone to be able to hear each other.

3) Good food but not necessary Michelin star prices..the concierge through out Daniel which is higher end than I was thinking. No idea on food preferences so nothing too specific in style.

4). I might try to bring a few bottles so hopefully a decent corkage policy. Two bottle limits not ideal but also not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3325
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1827 Post by Ramon C » December 28th, 2018, 2:49 pm

Mark Thompson wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 2:07 pm
NYC restaurant ideas: I’m setting up a business dinner in NYC in a couple of weeks - was hoping there might be a a few options folks might recommend based on the following constraints (I reached out to the concierge, but thought I might get better results here):

1). Within a 10 minute or so walk from the Four Seasons in mid-town.

2) A place with some reasonably quiet spaces (or maybe private space) for 6-8 people. Doesn’t have to be REALLY quiet - I just want everyone to be able to hear each other.

3) Good food but not necessary Michelin star prices..the concierge through out Daniel which is higher end than I was thinking. No idea on food preferences so nothing too specific in style.

4). I might try to bring a few bottles so hopefully a decent corkage policy. Two bottle limits not ideal but also not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
I think most of your requirements fit Vaucluse. I’ve been once, a wine dinner, and we byod a bunch of bottles.
@brera

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1533
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1828 Post by Robert Dentice » December 29th, 2018, 8:13 am

Mark Thompson wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 2:07 pm
NYC restaurant ideas: I’m setting up a business dinner in NYC in a couple of weeks - was hoping there might be a a few options folks might recommend based on the following constraints (I reached out to the concierge, but thought I might get better results here):

1). Within a 10 minute or so walk from the Four Seasons in mid-town.

2) A place with some reasonably quiet spaces (or maybe private space) for 6-8 people. Doesn’t have to be REALLY quiet - I just want everyone to be able to hear each other.

3) Good food but not necessary Michelin star prices..the concierge through out Daniel which is higher end than I was thinking. No idea on food preferences so nothing too specific in style.

4). I might try to bring a few bottles so hopefully a decent corkage policy. Two bottle limits not ideal but also not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
The 10 minute walk really makes it tough.

Marea or Vacluse would be the best food options but probably not in your price range.

Amali - has a back room, they are very BYOB friendly and have a decent wine list. About 5 minutes from The Four Seasons. The food is good enough (but keep in mind my bar is very high), I think others like it more than me.

https://www.amalinyc.com

The Bar Room at the Modern would would be a good option and the best food for the money but it can be a tad loud.

User avatar
Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4062
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1829 Post by Paul Jaouen » December 29th, 2018, 9:23 am

Vaucluse is $50 corkage with a limit of 2 bottles. We've worked with Richard, the wine director, in the past for more accommodating terms. Food and service are excellent and it is quiet.

I think I've been to Amali three times and have been disappointed each time.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

User avatar
Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19343
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:55 pm
Location: North/Central NJ

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1830 Post by Steve Manzi » December 29th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Mark Thompson wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 2:07 pm


2) A place with some reasonably quiet spaces (or maybe private space) for 6-8 people. Doesn’t have to be REALLY quiet - I just want everyone to be able to hear each other.


Usually, from my experience, you need to worry that the OTHER tables can hear each other. [wink.gif] Especially if Jaouen is in the group. [drinkers.gif]
________________________________________
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but silence of friends" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 942
Joined: October 30th, 2011, 6:31 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1831 Post by Joshua Kates » December 30th, 2018, 4:50 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 2:05 pm
quote="A Rubin Stein" post_id=2552099 time=1533572180 user_id=17150]
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:Has anyone been to Bouley at Home?
My girlfriend took me for my birthday last year. Fantastic meal.
WvanGorp wrote:
August 5th, 2018, 1:49 pm
I enjoyed my visit there very much though it’s a bit pricey. Worthy of a visit imho.

My friend Gael Greene wrote up our visit there.

http://www.insatiable-critic.com/Articl ... ey+at+Home
A/WvG,
The two of you were absolutely correct. Was surprised at how good almost every every course was. While not perfect, the service was very good. Shared my bottle of '90 Pol Roger Blancs de Blancs with the Somm/Managing Partner as well as our server and they were happy to allow me to open my back-up bottle of '99 Cristal and waive the one bottle limit. The meal isn't quite free, but the quality of the food makes the tariff much more palatable. Considering it's a 45 second walk from my apartment, I'm sure I will be heading there again sometime soon. Overall Staggering minus.
[/quote]

Went last night and just wanted to echo the above, since the restaurant does not get the buzz that it might and that I think it deserves--probably because Bouley himself has been on the scene so long. But a number of the dishes were superb, particularly among the two trios of starters--one more meat based, the other fruits of the sea; the Sea Urchin, Green Apple Cloud, and Golden Osetra Caviar and the Kuzu crisp with potato puree and black truffle were particular standouts. The main's were perhaps a touch skimpy, but the venison was perfectly prepared, as silky and tender as any steak, well-sauced, and went wonderfully with the 1999 Bouchard Beaune 1er Clos de la Mousse that we brought. The one big quibble was the $100 corkage fee!!! But still, the total package seemed worth it, especially as they sent out a number of extra courses, like a sea scallop, ultra-crisp on top and almost raw at the base in a green herb sauce. Good time, and, fwiw, they brought all the flatware; we did not have to retrieve it from a drawer as in Wyvan's write-up.

Mark Thompson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18
Joined: April 25th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1832 Post by Mark Thompson » December 30th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advice on restaurants. I’m leaning hard towards Vaucluse.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1533
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1833 Post by Robert Dentice » December 31st, 2018, 7:40 am

Had a really great meal at Oxomoco. A new Mexican restaurant in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. They opened 6 months ago and have received rave reviews and a Michelin star. Not really a wine place. Corkage is $35. I would say that the main portions are enough for two so it is an incredible value for the quality of the food.

https://www.oxomoconyc.com

User avatar
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡
Posts: 2445
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1834 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » December 31st, 2018, 12:46 pm

Awesome Robert. Am between trying it and Oxalis next time I do something Brooklyn-y.

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3325
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1835 Post by Ramon C » December 31st, 2018, 8:35 pm

I thought a varied selection of Oxomoco’s delicious and creative tacos would also be a complete way to dine, in addition to starting with some tasty appetizers.

Corkage may be a moving target as ours 4 weeks ago was 30 per.
@brera

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1533
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1836 Post by Robert Dentice » January 1st, 2019, 7:01 am

Ramon C wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 8:35 pm
I thought a varied selection of Oxomoco’s delicious and creative tacos would also be a complete way to dine, in addition to starting with some tasty appetizers.

Corkage may be a moving target as ours 4 weeks ago was 30 per.
It is well worth it. Our dinner for two was $200 total which included two bottles at $35 and we ha enough food for lunch the next day.

The only tough part is deciding on how to order with a small number of people. The main plates are just so good I would hate to miss them.

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3325
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1837 Post by Ramon C » January 2nd, 2019, 7:26 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 7:01 am
Ramon C wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 8:35 pm
I thought a varied selection of Oxomoco’s delicious and creative tacos would also be a complete way to dine, in addition to starting with some tasty appetizers.

Corkage may be a moving target as ours 4 weeks ago was 30 per.
It is well worth it. Our dinner for two was $200 total which included two bottles at $35 and we ha enough food for lunch the next day.

The only tough part is deciding on how to order with a small number of people. The main plates are just so good I would hate to miss them.

They don’t answer phones and if I recall, only resy’s text message confirmed reservations, so I chanced bringing a champagne when wife and I went. Wait staff had to ask around for corkage policy. Even then, good wine service.

I can’t wait to go back and try other dishes.
@brera

User avatar
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡
Posts: 2445
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1838 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » January 4th, 2019, 9:41 am

NYC dining cognoscenti: I'm looking to do a business dinner on the 15th for 6-7 people. For context, I wanted to do Nur but thought it would be too loud based on what I've read. Did the last one at Loring Place, which was also a great mix of ambiance, food and space but want something new. King feels a bit cramped, and Via Carota doesn't take reservations. Would love Pasquale Jones but the booths are best suited for 5 or for 6 with friends not business types. Thoughts on some interesting spots?

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1417
Joined: April 11th, 2010, 10:58 am
Location: NYC

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1839 Post by Michael Sopher » January 4th, 2019, 11:11 am

If you like Nur - you'll also like Balaboosta
You could try Maialino, Marta, La Pecora Bianca (in NOMAD), ... way too many to mention

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3325
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1840 Post by Ramon C » January 5th, 2019, 3:00 am

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 9:41 am
NYC dining cognoscenti: I'm looking to do a business dinner on the 15th for 6-7 people. For context, I wanted to do Nur but thought it would be too loud based on what I've read. Did the last one at Loring Place, which was also a great mix of ambiance, food and space but want something new. King feels a bit cramped, and Via Carota doesn't take reservations. Would love Pasquale Jones but the booths are best suited for 5 or for 6 with friends not business types. Thoughts on some interesting spots?
Simon and the Whale.
Flora Bar.
@brera

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1841 Post by mark rudner » January 5th, 2019, 6:48 am

simon was extremely loud last time i was there
food was very good

User avatar
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡
Posts: 2445
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1842 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » January 5th, 2019, 8:27 am

Already took the client to Simon.
I’m thinking il buco but flora could be a great option. Thx!

User avatar
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡
Posts: 2445
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1843 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » January 5th, 2019, 11:08 am

Ramon C wrote:
June 12th, 2018, 11:02 am
Robert Dentice wrote:I went to a new small Japanese restaurant called Davelle in the LES that focuses on Japanese comfort food and is open all day. Currently BYOB. Overall I really enjoyed it. Excited that they are open all day and BYOB.



https://ny.eater.com/2018/3/5/17080954/ ... e-open-les

https://www.davellenewyork.com

The fried chicken was the standout.
I enjoyed my solo lunch last Sunday at Davelle. It's a good local version of the classic Japanese kissaten all-day cafe where they serve mostly sandwiches to spaghetti. I had the Hokkaido-style "too much uni" spaghetti and it was delicious. It may be ultra-casual for some, but I like this kind of easy, cafe-like establishments. I'm looking forward to going back.

Not byob, anymore, as they serve alcohol.
Adding to the Davelle reviews. Dinner for 4 last night, very casual and warm. Laid back vibe and comfortable. Food was solid but no fireworks. Very reasonable price and some nuance of flavors. Best suited for casual bites. Bummer no corkage given the limited drink options outside of saké.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1533
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1844 Post by Robert Dentice » January 5th, 2019, 11:23 am

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:08 am
Ramon C wrote:
June 12th, 2018, 11:02 am
Robert Dentice wrote:I went to a new small Japanese restaurant called Davelle in the LES that focuses on Japanese comfort food and is open all day. Currently BYOB. Overall I really enjoyed it. Excited that they are open all day and BYOB.



https://ny.eater.com/2018/3/5/17080954/ ... e-open-les

https://www.davellenewyork.com

The fried chicken was the standout.
I enjoyed my solo lunch last Sunday at Davelle. It's a good local version of the classic Japanese kissaten all-day cafe where they serve mostly sandwiches to spaghetti. I had the Hokkaido-style "too much uni" spaghetti and it was delicious. It may be ultra-casual for some, but I like this kind of easy, cafe-like establishments. I'm looking forward to going back.

Not byob, anymore, as they serve alcohol.
Adding to the Davelle reviews. Dinner for 4 last night, very casual and warm. Laid back vibe and comfortable. Food was solid but no fireworks. Very reasonable price and some nuance of flavors. Best suited for casual bites. Bummer no corkage given the limited drink options outside of saké.
My last meal post the re-opening was just ok and slightly uneven. I think there might have been a change in ownership or kitchen or something. It sadly was not anything like the meals I had pre-closing. Sounds similar to yours not horrible but definitely no fireworks. I was bummed because it was so good!

User avatar
Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13353
Joined: February 14th, 2010, 8:21 pm
Location: Vacationland (AKA Maine, USA)

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1845 Post by Peter Kleban » January 5th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Seconding the review above (and for good restos in the theater district) we were at DB Bistro Moderne (55 W 44th) the other night. Just walked in at 9 pm after a play. Really good experience, loved the food--very sophisticated and tasty, and they had "reserve" wines under CoraVin, I got the Bize you see listed below, a WOTY for me. Only downside was the slightly haphazard service, but that was no biggie.

Glad to see recent positive reviews on the Modern. Have had a number of great meals there, but not recently. As somebody mentioned, tho, it can be noisy.

Incidentally, also were at Elio's, UES (2nd bet 84 & 85 IIRC) which was very good. Nothing super fancy but very nice fried zucchini strips and exc pasta. Nice glass of Chianti to go with it; the wine list had some much fancier stuff (mostly Italian IIRC) but we weren't up for it. Service was rude--annoyingly condescending, but it reminded me of a place I'd been to in Milan once, so I guess the nostalgia took the edge off!
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Vallana Spanna 5 Castelli '71
Fonseca Porto '77
d'Yquem '00
Jobard Meursault Blagny 1er '13
Broadbent Madeira Colheita '96
Mas Redonne Bandol Rosé '17
B Giacosa Roero Arneis '15
Patricia Green Cellars PN Estate Etzel Block '13
Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune Les Bourgeots '14

User avatar
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡
Posts: 2445
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1846 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » January 10th, 2019, 11:02 am

Dinner on Tuesday at Ukiyo was really exceptional. 5 course menu three of us, rounded out to about 150pp. Chef added several courses and it was a perfect amount of food.
Great pacing, beautiful balance of flavor and a relaxed but wonderful mood. $55 corkage. Will be going back, wouldn't do anything but the tasting.

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3325
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1847 Post by Ramon C » January 12th, 2019, 1:23 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:23 am
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:08 am
Ramon C wrote:
June 12th, 2018, 11:02 am


I enjoyed my solo lunch last Sunday at Davelle. It's a good local version of the classic Japanese kissaten all-day cafe where they serve mostly sandwiches to spaghetti. I had the Hokkaido-style "too much uni" spaghetti and it was delicious. It may be ultra-casual for some, but I like this kind of easy, cafe-like establishments. I'm looking forward to going back.

Not byob, anymore, as they serve alcohol.
Adding to the Davelle reviews. Dinner for 4 last night, very casual and warm. Laid back vibe and comfortable. Food was solid but no fireworks. Very reasonable price and some nuance of flavors. Best suited for casual bites. Bummer no corkage given the limited drink options outside of saké.
My last meal post the re-opening was just ok and slightly uneven. I think there might have been a change in ownership or kitchen or something. It sadly was not anything like the meals I had pre-closing. Sounds similar to yours not horrible but definitely no fireworks. I was bummed because it was so good!
A big fan of that “too much” Uni spaghetti the couple of times I went, but that was summer last year. Thanks for updates as I’m not that enthused now to stray down there just to eat there.
@brera

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3325
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1848 Post by Ramon C » January 12th, 2019, 5:59 am

Hitting the spot in the freeze-out at Sai Gon Dep in Murray Hill.

The bone-marrow-and-oxtail broth can seemingly make this latest neighborhood joint a destination Vietnamese in the island.

Awesome pho! Nice, casual ambiance and decor. Vietnamese modern pop music in the background kinda cool.

Published website took me to Eater.

https://ny.eater.com/2018/11/29/1811691 ... urray-hill

F929A596-A0B0-4ACA-9FCB-EEC02C666052.jpeg
@brera

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”