New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
p@ulbortin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1701 Post by p@ulbortin » July 27th, 2018, 11:46 am

Nougatine Restaurant week. Always terrific during RW.
Attachments
E4D020CD-C5C5-43A2-A0AD-EC7C2D216E3E.jpeg
E4D020CD-C5C5-43A2-A0AD-EC7C2D216E3E.jpeg (19.78 KiB) Viewed 2201 times

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#1702 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » August 5th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Has anyone been to Bouley at Home?
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

WvanGorp

#1703 Post by WvanGorp » August 5th, 2018, 1:49 pm

I enjoyed my visit there very much though it’s a bit pricey. Worthy of a visit imho.

My friend Gael Greene wrote up our visit there.

http://www.insatiable-critic.com/Articl ... ey+at+Home
Last edited by WvanGorp on August 5th, 2018, 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wilfred van Gorp

Jonathan Grunzweig
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1704 Post by Jonathan Grunzweig » August 6th, 2018, 7:18 am

WvanGorp wrote:I enjoyed my visit there very much though it’s a bit pricey. Worthy of a visit imho.

I've heard worse epitaphs than how you were captioned: "a charming bon vivant who likes great wine and doesn’t mind paying for it." Words to live by, well done!

Jonathan

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#1705 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » August 6th, 2018, 8:33 am

Thanks Wilfred.

A Rubin Stein

#1706 Post by A Rubin Stein » August 6th, 2018, 9:16 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:Has anyone been to Bouley at Home?
My girlfriend took me for my birthday last year. Fantastic meal.
a s h e r

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1707 Post by scott c » August 9th, 2018, 9:50 am

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:A few bad reviews for legacy records...can anyone share their experiences? Trying to get a table next week.
Sad to say I had an underwhelming experience last weekend...EXCEPT for the wine. The wine was great.
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1708 Post by scamhi » August 9th, 2018, 1:06 pm

a pretty great meal Tuesday night at Ukiyo on east 5th Street. Asian influence and very good. $55.00 corkage
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Robert Dentice

#1709 Post by Robert Dentice » August 9th, 2018, 2:37 pm

scamhi wrote:a pretty great meal Tuesday night at Ukiyo on east 5th Street. Asian influence and very good. $55.00 corkage
I had a good meal there as well. The Chef is from Brooklyn Fare and of course Jack Lamb is a legend.

Bdklein

Re: New York City Restaurants

#1710 Post by Bdklein » August 19th, 2018, 6:27 am

I know it's touristy and not the "real" Johns pizza , but I had awesome penne a la vodka (with peas and prosciutto, and nice and light) and really great sautéed spinach with garlic and oil at John's of Time Square . Pizza was very good, too. Pleasantly surprised for sure.
Bruce Klein

ArtF

#1711 Post by ArtF » August 19th, 2018, 7:56 am

Bdklein wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 6:27 am
I know it's touristy and not the "real" Johns pizza , but I had awesome penne a la vodka (with peas and prosciutto, and nice and light) and really great sautéed spinach with garlic and oil at John's of Time Square . Pizza was very good, too. Pleasantly surprised for sure.
Thanks for the reminder. My fall back choice in Times Square for a family pre-theater lunch or dinner.
Art Forman

Bdklein

#1712 Post by Bdklein » August 19th, 2018, 8:46 am

ArtF wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 7:56 am
Bdklein wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 6:27 am
Thanks for the reminder. My fall back choice in Times Square for a family pre-theater lunch or dinner.

What's the primary choice ??
Bruce Klein

ArtF

#1713 Post by ArtF » August 20th, 2018, 9:20 am

No great choices I know in Times Square. I usually go to Brasserie 8 1/2 or Cafe Centro and BYO.
Art Forman

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1714 Post by mark rudner » August 20th, 2018, 12:10 pm

esca at 43rd and 9th is a good choice

Robert Dentice

#1715 Post by Robert Dentice » August 21st, 2018, 7:25 am

Finally went to Masa. I have heard from many that it is overpriced / overrated etc. That plus the location has kept me from going. However as an extreme lover of Japanese cuisine I always felt that it was a glaring omission in my exploration of Japanese cuisine in the U.S. Enter a special occasion that falls on a Monday severely limiting options and needing a place that would truly be a surprise. The time was finally right. I was extremely nervous that it would turn out to be a let down and I would disappoint the person whose special occasion it was. The first and only turnoff is that they will not guarantee you a seat at the counter (oh and very poor stemware:) ) . I called three times and emailed doing my very best to be respectful and honor the Japanese style of non-confrontation.

Well we were the first to arrive and we were seated directly in front of the most experienced Chef on duty. This clearly enhanced our experience. I brought two Rieslings that were just spectacular with the food. I thought the overall meal was outstanding and truly unique including a stunning seaweed and uni dish and a Maitake sushi dish that was just mind blowing. The fish was served slightly cold with lots of bold citrus notes and it really worked especially with the wine. Overall one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. And my ultimate test of a restaurant I do want to go back...but only at the counter!

Some info on the wines:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153619

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1716 Post by scott c » August 27th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
August 9th, 2018, 2:37 pm
scamhi wrote:a pretty great meal Tuesday night at Ukiyo on east 5th Street. Asian influence and very good. $55.00 corkage
I had a good meal there as well. The Chef is from Brooklyn Fare and of course Jack Lamb is a legend.
Another thumbs up from me. Great food, friendly service.
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1717 Post by scamhi » August 27th, 2018, 6:10 pm

scott c wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 3:09 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
August 9th, 2018, 2:37 pm
Another thumbs up from me. Great food, friendly service.
Next time you visit try Shoji at 69 Leonard. Top quality 12 seat Kaiseki dinner. by an American Chef fluent in Japanese.
I was very impressed
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1718 Post by mark rudner » August 28th, 2018, 8:20 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 7:25 am
Finally went to Masa. I have heard from many that it is overpriced / overrated etc. That plus the location has kept me from going. However as an extreme lover of Japanese cuisine I always felt that it was a glaring omission in my exploration of Japanese cuisine in the U.S. Enter a special occasion that falls on a Monday severely limiting options and needing a place that would truly be a surprise. The time was finally right. I was extremely nervous that it would turn out to be a let down and I would disappoint the person whose special occasion it was. The first and only turnoff is that they will not guarantee you a seat at the counter (oh and very poor stemware:) ) . I called three times and emailed doing my very best to be respectful and honor the Japanese style of non-confrontation.

Well we were the first to arrive and we were seated directly in front of the most experienced Chef on duty. This clearly enhanced our experience. I brought two Rieslings that were just spectacular with the food. I thought the overall meal was outstanding and truly unique including a stunning seaweed and uni dish and a Maitake sushi dish that was just mind blowing. The fish was served slightly cold with lots of bold citrus notes and it really worked especially with the wine. Overall one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. And my ultimate test of a restaurant I do want to go back...but only at the counter!

Some info on the wines:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153619
hi robert
knowing your preferences, i'm pleasantly surprised by your review of masa. when i saw your tn's of the wines i was hoping you'd post a review here. i haven't been to masa in years and thought maybe it was stuck in the old days of nyc sushi so it's nice to read this. it's certainly not a place to go often but nice to know at the way high end it's a real option.
hope all's well

ybarselah

#1719 Post by ybarselah » August 28th, 2018, 10:26 am

oiji on first avenue - stunning flavors, amazing hospitality, smart wine list. the total package. i went when they first opened, but for no good reason, haven't returned until last nigth. i loved it and will put into regular rotation. cocktail program is also very advanced. the only comparison that i'm aware of is atoboy, and to me, oiji is much better across the board. very busy on an august sunday night, which is great to see. go.
Yaacov (ITB)

Robert Dentice

#1720 Post by Robert Dentice » August 28th, 2018, 12:15 pm

ybarselah wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 10:26 am
oiji on first avenue - stunning flavors, amazing hospitality, smart wine list. the total package. i went when they first opened, but for no good reason, haven't returned until last nigth. i loved it and will put into regular rotation. cocktail program is also very advanced. the only comparison that i'm aware of is atoboy, and to me, oiji is much better across the board. very busy on an august sunday night, which is great to see. go.
Same here. Enjoyed first meal and a caviar order but never went back for no real reason.

Herwig Janssen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1721 Post by Herwig Janssen » September 4th, 2018, 8:13 am

I was in New York this week . On Sunday , I went to Jungsik : I think this is the best starred restaurant in Manhattan , much better than Bernardin or Jean Georges imho . Lovely food , great wine list , a great experience .
For lunch on Monday , I went to Chinatown : Nom Wah tea house . A friend ( foodie ) recommended it . The place was packed , the food fantastic : Dim Sum and noodles , dumplings etc . You would never enter it but it is def worth a visit .
At night : the Grill . I love the atmosphere . The wine list is huge but very expensive . The steak was great but my portion would have been enough to feed an entire school . We had a great time .

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1722 Post by mark rudner » September 4th, 2018, 8:50 am

great combo of restaurants herwig
well planned [cheers.gif]

Robert Dentice

#1723 Post by Robert Dentice » September 4th, 2018, 9:26 am

Herwig Janssen wrote:
September 4th, 2018, 8:13 am
I was in New York this week . On Sunday , I went to Jungsik : I think this is the best starred restaurant in Manhattan , much better than Bernardin or Jean Georges imho . Lovely food , great wine list , a great experience .
For lunch on Monday , I went to Chinatown : Nom Wah tea house . A friend ( foodie ) recommended it . The place was packed , the food fantastic : Dim Sum and noodles , dumplings etc . You would never enter it but it is def worth a visit .
At night : the Grill . I love the atmosphere . The wine list is huge but very expensive . The steak was great but my portion would have been enough to feed an entire school . We had a great time .
Jungsik is fantastic. I am overdue for a visit. Next time try Atomix which is a restaurant started by the former Chef of Jungsik who is still very close to the current Chef and kitchen of Jungsik.

Barry L i p t o n

#1724 Post by Barry L i p t o n » September 4th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Besides Jean George, Del Posto Gabriel Kreuther and Marea, who has a screaming good deal price fixe menu for lunch?

Other than LeBernadin which didn’t impress me.
Last edited by Barry L i p t o n on September 4th, 2018, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike c

#1725 Post by mike c » September 4th, 2018, 7:21 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
September 4th, 2018, 2:36 pm
Besides Jean George, Del Posto Gabriel Jreuther and Marea, who has a screaming good deal price fixe menu for lunch?

Other than LeVernsdin which didn’t impress me.
milos
( |-| 0

Jim Friedman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1726 Post by Jim Friedman » September 5th, 2018, 2:19 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
Besides Jean George, Del Posto Gabriel Kreuther and Marea, who has a screaming good deal price fixe menu for lunch?

Try La Grenouille

Robert Dentice

#1727 Post by Robert Dentice » September 5th, 2018, 4:23 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:

If you are visiting NYC why bother with a high-end restaurants watered down version of their menu? I do occasionally go to Marea for lunch but that is because it is quick and one of the only places near where I work with great good.

Go to one of the Momofukus, Robertas, Prune, Okonomi all charming and unique.

Just a thought...

Barry L i p t o n

#1728 Post by Barry L i p t o n » September 5th, 2018, 6:47 am

hmm,many reasons.

I have had many outstanding lunches at Marea, Bouley, Jean Georges, that we’re just as good as my dinners there and my lunches at EMP we’re fantastic.Quality was the same even if selection was smaller. It certainly doesn’t seem watered down to me, just edited.

I want less food then dinner involves.

Lunch is a great value.

My wife is a vegetarian, and these places do well for them. Definitely not true of Changs places.

The places you mention soundbetter for dinner than lunch

Surprised you prefer Prune to the ones I’ve mentioned.

Ramon C

#1729 Post by Ramon C » September 5th, 2018, 7:44 am

I also prefer Robert's lunch suggestions to the high-end ones. However, as far as I know, Prune doesn't serve lunch daily, but they do brunch on weekends.
@brera

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1730 Post by mark rudner » September 5th, 2018, 8:21 am

not a screaming deal but a recent lunch at le coucou was excellent

Barry L i p t o n

#1731 Post by Barry L i p t o n » September 5th, 2018, 10:36 am

Thanks for the tips in Milos and LeCoucou ( although not a big fan of the latter, at least responsive to my request). Milos does have an attractive deal for lunch, pre and post theater.

Lunch at momfuku is very tasty but not special to me. Fine if folks don’t care for formal, but I’m not a neophyte diner in NYC and know what I’m looking for for this particular meal.

Robert Dentice

#1732 Post by Robert Dentice » September 5th, 2018, 10:38 am

Ramon C wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 7:44 am
I also prefer Robert's lunch suggestions to the high-end ones. However, as far as I know, Prune doesn't serve lunch daily, but they do brunch on weekends.

Ah yes I see that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Robert Dentice

#1733 Post by Robert Dentice » September 5th, 2018, 10:43 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 10:36 am
Thanks for the tips in Milos and LeCoucou ( although not a big fan of the latter, at least responsive to my request). Milos does have an attractive deal for lunch, pre and post theater.

Lunch at momfuku is very tasty but not special to me. Fine if folks don’t care for formal, but I’m not a neophyte diner in NYC and know what I’m looking for for this particular meal.
I get it if you like these places for dinner and your query makes sense now. I don't really like them for dinner.

Given what you like have you tried the Bar Room at The Modern. Not sure if they have a pre fix. The menu is very reasonably priced and A la carte. Also excellent vegetarians dishes, the Carrot dish is amazing.

Barry L i p t o n

#1734 Post by Barry L i p t o n » September 5th, 2018, 12:17 pm

I love both formal and informal if the food delivers. For this occassion, a bargain at a formal place.

Anyone beento Toqueville for lunch lately?

Herwig Janssen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1735 Post by Herwig Janssen » September 6th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Btw , at Jungsik the corckage is $ 50 per bottle ( max 2 bottles ) . I also ordered a PYCM St Aubin 2014 of the list ( $ 160 if I remember well ). The wine was fantastic AND they dropped the $ 100 fee for bringing our own wine . Class act .

Peter Hirdt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1736 Post by Peter Hirdt » September 14th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Has anyone dined at 212 Steakhouse on 53rd St? Looking for opinions.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1737 Post by Ethan Abraham » September 15th, 2018, 7:14 am

High end sushi places seem to be multiplying like rabbits. Anyone know which have reasonable (say $50 or less) corkage and are good? Specifically looking for one for a Monday, otherwise I'd just go to cagen.

S!mon C h ! n

#1738 Post by S!mon C h ! n » September 22nd, 2018, 1:16 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 17th, 2018, 7:21 am
Rich Salsano wrote:
George Hejna wrote:Not overly impressed with Le Bernadin. Food was executed well with high quality ingredients but the entire restaurant felt very impersonal/sterile. Service was fine. Again very assembly line(ish). I thought it was a little fast paced maybe due to the large theater crowd? Big restaurant, relatively noisy for a 3***.

Wine list was good and not as high priced as I expected. Really nothing there that would make me want to go back.

George
That is somewhat my feeling as well after going last year. Restaurant was too big and noisy for that type of meal and experience.
I'm another who doesn't think highly of Le Bernardin. Among other service issues I've had there, the pacing is perhaps the worst. One time we were rushed from minute one over and over again, with several courses appearing at the table before we'd even ordered our wine, and despite asking them to slow down and assuring them the two of us would be out in plenty of time to turn the table. It didn't help that I'd been called twice to confirm my reservation, during which calls I was firmly reminded that my 5:00 table would need to be finished by 8:00.
Last time I had dinner at Le Bernardin, we received our amuses even before we had opened our menus!

Rich Salsano
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1739 Post by Rich Salsano » September 23rd, 2018, 7:45 am

Just had a fantastic meal at Momofuku Nishi on Friday night. Would absolutely go back. Wine list not great but Castello di Ama San Lorenzo for around $90 wasn’t too much of a rip.

The bagna cauda endive and the pastas were so funky and different and just delicious.
Richard Salsano

ArtF

#1740 Post by ArtF » September 24th, 2018, 7:06 am

Had a terrific experience at Giulietta's, a Venetian style wine bar in the heart of Greenwich Village, right next to Grom gelato. Terrific chef-owner. who is also a sommelier. Venetian cicchetti, risotto, house made pasta, and large wine list with many carefully chosen Italian wines, all fairly priced. Nice stems and service. Especially pleasant to sit out front in nice weather overlooking the fountain in the park across the street.
Art Forman

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#1741 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » September 27th, 2018, 2:05 pm

quote="A Rubin Stein" post_id=2552099 time=1533572180 user_id=17150]
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:Has anyone been to Bouley at Home?
My girlfriend took me for my birthday last year. Fantastic meal.
[/quote]

WvanGorp wrote:
August 5th, 2018, 1:49 pm
I enjoyed my visit there very much though it’s a bit pricey. Worthy of a visit imho.

A/WvG,

The two of you were absolutely correct. Was surprised at how good almost every every course was. While not perfect, the service was very good. Shared my bottle of '90 Pol Roger Blancs de Blancs with the Somm/Managing Partner as well as our server and they were happy to allow me to open my back-up bottle of '99 Cristal and waive the one bottle limit. The meal isn't quite free, but the quality of the food makes the tariff much more palatable. Considering it's a 45 second walk from my apartment, I'm sure I will be heading there again sometime soon. Overall Staggering minus.

MBerto

#1742 Post by MBerto » October 1st, 2018, 11:20 am

We did the Hunt & Fish Club last week and I gotta say, if you need a business spot in Midtown with a wide, solid menu it fits the bill. The seafood and the beef were both solid.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
@10centpower

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#1743 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » October 4th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Thanks for the tip Matt, will give it a shot for the next biz lunch.

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1744 Post by Betty C » October 12th, 2018, 1:50 am

Had an excellent dinner at Emilio’s Ballato last night. The fried zucchini starter was surprisingly delicate and crispy. The octopus special was the best I’ve had in the US. My friends were delighted with their pasta dishes and we had great wines to wash it all down.

Blue Ribbon Sushi continues to be a solid choice after all these years.

Planning to hit up ABC Kitchen, Momofuku Ko, Minca Ramen, and Peter Luger in the next few days.
Ch00

edwardmilstein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1745 Post by edwardmilstein » October 13th, 2018, 4:00 am

Betty - omg- think i went to Ballatos 40+ yrs ago.Wow , can't believe they're still in business. Used to have good food at very cheap prices, but don't think I've heard that name since '75. Must've been the grandfather that served us.
drinker,drinker,drinker,collector,negotiant,importer.ITB

Ramon C

#1746 Post by Ramon C » October 13th, 2018, 5:38 am

Still in business and apparently doing very well.

It's a rock star of a restaurant. Or, let me re-phrase, over the last several years big name rock stars had frequented this place that's practically a hole-in-the-wall along East Houston. I've yet to try it out since maybe 2+ decades ago, but word is chefs from other local name-brand restaurants are secretly wowed with the food.
@brera

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1747 Post by Betty C » October 13th, 2018, 6:15 am

Had no idea it’s been around that long! The food is solid.
Ch00

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1748 Post by Sh@n A » October 13th, 2018, 6:25 am

A decade ago I went to Ballatos every week for two years. Emilio’s sister used to run the kitchen (no more). Friendly staff. Off the beaten path (or used to be prep NYTimes). Good to hear the food has held up.
/ @ g r @ \

Robert Dentice

#1749 Post by Robert Dentice » October 16th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Three stars for Atomix! Could not be happier for them!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/16/dini ... orean.html

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1750 Post by Sh@n A » October 16th, 2018, 12:20 pm

[tease.gif]
Sh@n A wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 6:25 am
A decade ago I went to Ballatos every week for two years. Emilio’s sister used to run the kitchen (no more). Friendly staff. Off the beaten path (or used to be prep NYTimes). Good to hear the food has held up.
Swung by at Saturday at 5:30pm and there was a line out the door. Good for them. But literally could have walked in on a Friday and dined by yourself 10 years ago. Wow. It’s like the bagel shop nearby that has a one block line for bagels and cream cheese.
/ @ g r @ \

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”