New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Robert Dentice

#1551 Post by Robert Dentice » April 9th, 2018, 4:12 am

Ramon C wrote:Le French Diner at LES.

We had dinner last night at this very small and tight-seating restaurant, as I was craving French. Our appetizers of Socca de Nice, Pork Rillette and grilled Octopus dishes were OK. They didn't have an online wine list and so I rolled he dice and decided to bring a mature Burgundy, in case they will allow byob. Good service, but not on wine.

When we arrived, I was quoted/charged $35 for my bottle, and agreed to go with my wine as the winelist sucked. They only provided small half-bulb stems, and if you still decide to go, please BYO stems.
VERY fond memories of that place from 15 or so years ago. It was started by an eccentric French guy named Zucco who was a former Boxer. He loved American Hip Hop. He died outside the place of a heart attack on the sidewalk. He barely spoke english and loved to dance. The food was great simple French bistro food. But the real excitement was seeing him. R.I.P.

Can't believe it is still open and it sticks out like a sore lumb on that gentrified block.

NYC needs more places like the original!

Lastly I have a glass carrier and have been known to BYOB Zaltos for places like this!

Ramon C

#1552 Post by Ramon C » April 9th, 2018, 7:18 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
Ramon C wrote:Le French Diner at LES.

We had dinner last night at this very small and tight-seating restaurant, as I was craving French. Our appetizers of Socca de Nice, Pork Rillette and grilled Octopus dishes were OK. They didn't have an online wine list and so I rolled he dice and decided to bring a mature Burgundy, in case they will allow byob. Good service, but not on wine.

When we arrived, I was quoted/charged $35 for my bottle, and agreed to go with my wine as the winelist sucked. They only provided small half-bulb stems, and if you still decide to go, please BYO stems.
VERY fond memories of that place from 15 or so years ago. It was started by an eccentric French guy named Zucco who was a former Boxer. He loved American Hip Hop. He died outside the place of a heart attack on the sidewalk. He barely spoke english and loved to dance. The food was great simple French bistro food. But the real excitement was seeing him. R.I.P.

Can't believe it is still open and it sticks out like a sore lumb on that gentrified block.

NYC needs more places like the original!

Lastly I have a glass carrier and have been known to BYOB Zaltos for places like this!
Yes, I remember Zucco was part of the name when I first went there about 8 or more years ago. Place hasn't changed, in spite of the lively modern establishments literally all around it. They also haven't changed their wine glasses.
@brera

Robert Dentice

#1553 Post by Robert Dentice » April 14th, 2018, 6:08 am

I went to a new small Japanese restaurant called Davelle in the LES that focuses on Japanese comfort food and is open all day. Currently BYOB. Overall I really enjoyed it. Excited that they are open all day and BYOB.

https://ny.eater.com/2018/3/5/17080954/ ... e-open-les

https://www.davellenewyork.com

The fried chicken was the standout.

Bdklein

#1554 Post by Bdklein » April 19th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Looking for some help here.

Looking for an Italian restaurant in Queens that's accessible via subway from Manhattan and car from Long Island . Celebrating birthday Sunday night for my 85 year old dad . So looking for good food and nice atmosphere , but doesn't need to be a "hot " or "in" place. Wine not important.

Thought Parkside in Corona would work but no reservations available

Any thoughts, suggestions , etc.

Thanks in advance .
Bruce Klein

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#1555 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » April 19th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Bdklein wrote:Looking for some help here.

Looking for an Italian restaurant in Queens that's accessible via subway from Manhattan and car from Long Island . Celebrating birthday Sunday night for my 85 year old dad . So looking for good food and nice atmosphere , but doesn't need to be a "hot " or "in" place. Wine not important.

Thanks in advance .
Leuca is in Williamsburg, so not Queens, but close enough for both parties.

http://leuca.com/
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1556 Post by mmarcellus » April 19th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Thanks in advance .
It's been a while since their heyday but if Manducati's is anything like they used to be, they would probably be just what you're looking for for your dad. Maybe someone has recent experience with them?
M @ r k

tcavallo
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1557 Post by tcavallo » April 19th, 2018, 7:59 pm

mmarcellus wrote:
It's been a while since their heyday but if Manducati's is anything like they used to be, they would probably be just what you're looking for for your dad. Maybe someone has recent experience with them?
Oh man, I lived around the block from Manducati's for a few years, almost 16 years ago now. I haven't been since then so I can't comment unfortunately, but I remember a lot of great meals with friends and family and a pretty great (and reasonable) Italian wine list that I have heard has since declined in quantity and quality.
T 0 D D
ITB, Wild Arc Farm
IG: @tcavallo or @wildarcfarm

Robert Dentice

#1558 Post by Robert Dentice » April 20th, 2018, 5:41 am

My last meal at Manducatis was approximately 2 years ago. The food was not very good. There were still a few very good values on the wine list.

ybarselah

#1559 Post by ybarselah » April 20th, 2018, 6:16 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:

Thanks in advance .
Leuca is in Williamsburg, so not Queens, but close enough for both parties.

http://leuca.com/
good call, but if you're doing that area, lilia is one of the best restaurants in nyc and across the park from leuca.

https://www.lilianewyork.com/
Yaacov (ITB)

Bdklein

#1560 Post by Bdklein » April 20th, 2018, 7:04 am

Thanks all for the input. Made a ressie at Italian restaurant in Queens (Corona area I believe)

http://iltriangolonyc.com/

Nice reviews, good menu for us (and entrees come with pasta or salad-my dad will complain otherwise ), near subway , and they have a parking lot.
Bruce Klein

Benjamin C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1561 Post by Benjamin C » April 20th, 2018, 8:45 am

mmarcellus wrote:

Thanks in advance .
Was at Manducati’s last week. Food was terrible and wine list was mostly picked, although they had a Mascarello Monprivato 97 for 175usd or so, which is quite a steal (not sure if the wines are stored in the best conditions but might be worth a shot). More hidddn gems if you know the owner well. Nonetheless always an experience and gamble going there, not too sure when i’ll be back.
Benjamin Chew

Instagram: @bencures

Victor Hong

#1562 Post by Victor Hong » April 20th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Bdklein wrote:Thanks all for the input. Made a ressie at Italian restaurant in Queens (Corona area I believe)

Nice reviews, good menu for us (and entrees come with pasta or salad-my dad will complain otherwise ), near subway , and they have a parking lot.
Taking the elders to dinner is good. You cannot do so forever. I am flying home on Memorial Day weekend, to take my parents out for Sunday brunch at the yacht club.
WineHunter.

Bdklein

#1563 Post by Bdklein » April 20th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
Bdklein wrote:Thanks all for the input. Made a ressie at Italian restaurant in Queens (Corona area I believe)

Taking the elders to dinner is good. You cannot do so forever. I am flying home on Memorial Day weekend, to take my parents out for Sunday brunch at the yacht club.
I hope you are not paying full fare .
Bruce Klein

Victor Hong

#1564 Post by Victor Hong » April 20th, 2018, 2:25 pm

I signed up as Jim Wilson, and can travel cheaply in the cargo section.
WineHunter.

Bdklein

#1565 Post by Bdklein » April 23rd, 2018, 6:58 am

Dynamite restaurant , some great homemade red wine (barrels were new American Oak). And no cellphones allowed out unless taking a picture .
Bruce Klein

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1566 Post by Michel Abood » April 23rd, 2018, 8:48 pm

I had dinner last Friday at Racines, with the new chef Paul Liebrandt in the kitchen. I am happy to report that the food was bright and balanced and quite delicious. You could tell he is trying to impress and make his mark, and if this continues he will. I wish we had a place like that near me in San Diego (which has consistently disappointed me food-wise, for the most part).

Funny enough, my friend and I were remarking how much he cursed in the kitchen (we were sitting at the bar overlooking the action). A few days later this article came out: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... ial-staff/
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Robert Dentice

#1567 Post by Robert Dentice » April 24th, 2018, 10:42 am

Michel Abood wrote:I had dinner last Friday at Racines, with the new chef Paul Liebrandt in the kitchen. I am happy to report that the food was bright and balanced and quite delicious. You could tell he is trying to impress and make his mark, and if this continues he will. I wish we had a place like that near me in San Diego (which has consistently disappointed me food-wise, for the most part).

Funny enough, my friend and I were remarking how much he cursed in the kitchen (we were sitting at the bar overlooking the action). A few days later this article came out: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... ial-staff/
He is an unbelievably talented chef. However he creates such a tense environment that it spills over into the dining room experience. Although I loved his food at Corton I stop going because the entire staff literally looked abused and were so unhappy it ruined the meal. I was hoping he had chilled a bit and the partnership with Arnaud, Pascaline and David would work well. It is being billed as a one month residency.

I feel your pain on San Diego one of the worst food cities in the U.S.

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1568 Post by Michel Abood » April 24th, 2018, 11:26 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
Michel Abood wrote:I had dinner last Friday at Racines, with the new chef Paul Liebrandt in the kitchen. I am happy to report that the food was bright and balanced and quite delicious. You could tell he is trying to impress and make his mark, and if this continues he will. I wish we had a place like that near me in San Diego (which has consistently disappointed me food-wise, for the most part).

He is an unbelievably talented chef. However he creates such a tense environment that it spills over into the dining room experience. Although I loved his food at Corton I stop going because the entire staff literally looked abused and were so unhappy it ruined the meal. I was hoping he had chilled a bit and the partnership with Arnaud, Pascaline and David would work well. It is being billed as a one month residency.

I feel your pain on San Diego one of the worst food cities in the U.S.
Chef was intense, but the kitchen seemed smooth and not that tense, though there were a few tense moments when he berated a sous. That said, the place was packed (granted, it was a Friday) and both Pascaline and Arnaud were running around for most of the evening. Food, as I mentioned, was outstanding, and very refreshing (as much as I liked Chef Duca as a person, his mains always suffered a little though his apps were pretty good).

In most places outside of NYC, the food scene has improved before the wine scene caught up (Portland, ME for example). In San Diego, it seems to be the exact opposite: when I moved here in July 2016, wine selections were boring, it's gotten so much more interesting, with a natural wine show, NatDiego, open to consumers (most of whom had shockingly smart questions) and tons of cool stuff on lists (in particular Augusto is doing great work at the Cucina group, where you can find lots of funky but fun stuff, and of course Vino Carta and The Rose and to a lesser extent Village Vino). If you want to cook at home (which we do a lot), you can source amazing stuff. But aside from a few well-known places that are mostly Asian (Ota, Ota's spawn like Himitsu, Menya Ramen, Bangkok Bay), it's pretty nondescript and boring. Tribute Pizza makes a good pie, but nothing like Ops in NYC which was the best of a Saturday Pizza Crawl we did on my last trip back (Ops beat Roberta's by a mile).

And don't get me started on pineapple on a pizza... [swearing.gif]

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1569 Post by Paul Jaouen » April 24th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:

If he starts drinking Pascaline's natural wine, it might piss him off even more.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#1570 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » April 24th, 2018, 6:18 pm

I liked his cooking at The Elm and wasn't in NY to try him in other restaurants.
Look forward to heading back to Racines soon.

Ramon C

#1571 Post by Ramon C » April 25th, 2018, 7:10 am

I'm looking forward to trying his dishes, too. Hopefully, he's still around next month when I'm headed back there.
@brera

Robert Dentice

#1572 Post by Robert Dentice » April 26th, 2018, 11:42 am

Went to friends and family last night for the Chef Sota Atsumi (Clown Bar) residency at Chefs Club. Tonight (4/26) is the official opening night. Food was fantastic and similar to what he was doing at Clown Bar. This is a test run of sorts of what he plans to do at Maison, his new restaurant in Paris. I should also note the wine list at Chefs Club is great.

Some photos on my instagram:

And also from Le Wang:

https://www.instagram.com/lestomach/

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1573 Post by scamhi » April 27th, 2018, 7:16 am

Robert Dentice wrote:Went to friends and family last night for the Chef Sota Atsumi (Clown Bar) residency at Chefs Club. Tonight (4/26) is the official opening night. Food was fantastic and similar to what he was doing at Clown Bar. This is a test run of sorts of what he plans to do at Maison, his new restaurant in Paris. I should also note the wine list at Chefs Club is great.

And also from Le Wang:

Food looked great, Robert. I reserved. Do you know, what is the corkage policy?
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1574 Post by Michel Abood » April 27th, 2018, 9:14 am

Robert Dentice wrote:Went to friends and family last night for the Chef Sota Atsumi (Clown Bar) residency at Chefs Club. Tonight (4/26) is the official opening night. Food was fantastic and similar to what he was doing at Clown Bar. This is a test run of sorts of what he plans to do at Maison, his new restaurant in Paris. I should also note the wine list at Chefs Club is great.

And also from Le Wang:

Wish I could go, I loved his work at Clown Bar.

Robert Dentice

#1575 Post by Robert Dentice » April 27th, 2018, 11:59 am

scamhi wrote:

And also from Le Wang:

Food looked great, Robert. I reserved. Do you know, what is the corkage policy?
Sorry I do not. The wine list had plenty to choose from across and some of the markups where not too bad.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#1576 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » April 27th, 2018, 12:42 pm

scamhi wrote:[ Do you know, what is the corkage policy?
$50/btl - no limit.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

p@ulbortin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1577 Post by p@ulbortin » April 27th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Best Thai in the county is here in NYC.

Kiin - Khao Soi Chicken is spectacular, Ho Mok, Issan sausage, Spicy Pork Basil Egg are terrific. Can’t wait to go deeper into the menu.

Sum Tum Der - Sum Tum Der/Thai Fried Chicken lunch special is one of the city’s best deals, Larb Tod, Shrimp Salad, Crispy Leaf Fish, Pad Ki Mao Moo all terrific.

Uncle Boons - Massaman Curry Short Ribs has chunks of spices in the curry soup, Crab Fried rice is as much crab as rice and an addictive Yum Mamoung Green Mango Salad are all memorable.

Robert Dentice

#1578 Post by Robert Dentice » April 29th, 2018, 8:43 am

I tried Racines last night and it was fantastic. The food was outstanding with unique flavors combinations with a nod to Japanese cuisine. I love the portion sizes. Left feeling perfect after the 5 course tasting menu.

A few pictures on my instagram:

Going back on Monday.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1579 Post by mark rudner » April 29th, 2018, 10:46 am

wildair again last night after the wine on wheels tasting
damn that potato and uni dish is awesome as are the staff and the list
highly recc'd
thought of u dentice at the tasting as there was some keller and mags of leitz gg
all considered, a great day

MBerto

#1580 Post by MBerto » May 1st, 2018, 3:51 pm

Just to pile on and say Racines was great last week - highlight for me was the salt cured tuna that was glorious with our 2005 Ganevat. Only lowlight was that our 2 top across from the bar had (not a joke in the slightest) 3 inches between the adjacent tables.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
@10centpower

Robert Dentice

#1581 Post by Robert Dentice » May 3rd, 2018, 4:07 am

Finally!!! Una Pizza Napoletana is open! They are still awaiting their liquor license so no wine or BYOB (this can't be allowed when you have a license pending).

And it is just outstanding. You can see pictures on my IG

Eater reviewed it on day 1 (which is a total joke).

https://ny.eater.com/2018/5/1/17306570/ ... t-look-nyc

And I liked the two non pizza dishes particularly the asparagus dish much better than eater although they are really not the point.

The Pizza is perfect for my tastes!

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1582 Post by Jorge Henriquez » May 3rd, 2018, 6:52 am

Thanks for the review Robert. I shed a tear when Mangieri left town back in, what....2009-2010? (feels like so long ago). Glad he's back.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

ITB - Golden Vines
http://golden-vines.com/

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1583 Post by mark rudner » May 3rd, 2018, 7:01 am

great news
gonna try to get there sunday
can't wait for that wine list also

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1584 Post by Michel Abood » May 3rd, 2018, 12:12 pm

Oooh can't wait to get back and hit it, I've been waiting for it to reopen.

Ramon C

#1585 Post by Ramon C » May 4th, 2018, 1:50 pm

NYC looks to be having a renaissance of pizza these days. My lunch of Regina and Carbonara slices at Mani in Pasta, a true to Roman style pizza al taglio at their Midtown place was impressive.

My photo below doesn't do justice.

https://www.maniinpastanyc.com/?gclid=C ... _wcB#!home

F6392102-45C7-4BA5-B26B-45520553FD31.jpeg
F6392102-45C7-4BA5-B26B-45520553FD31.jpeg (35.11 KiB) Viewed 994 times
@brera

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1586 Post by Michel Abood » May 4th, 2018, 2:33 pm

We did a pizza crawl on my last swing through the city and hit Ops, Roberta's and Emily Squared. We ordered a Margharita and a house special at each place. Ops easily beat out Roberta's (which, while good, has been coasting on its laurels) and Emily. We were a bit out-pizza'd (can you believe it?) after Emily's pizza, so we had their outstanding cheeseburger as a palate cleanser.

We have another one planned for my next trip in mid-June, can't wait.

Ramon C

#1587 Post by Ramon C » May 4th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Michel Abood wrote: Emily's pizza, so we had their outstanding cheeseburger as a palate cleanser.
That burger is memorable. Had it twice in 2 weeks.
@brera

Rich Salsano
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1588 Post by Rich Salsano » May 4th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Really enjoyed Gato tonight. Everything executed really well.
Richard Salsano

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#1589 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » May 5th, 2018, 7:49 am

Excited for Una. Pizza is back baby

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1590 Post by scott c » May 7th, 2018, 8:50 am

I just need to say that I was completely blown away by the experience at The Grill last week. I haven't had a dinner that memorable from start to finish in a long time.
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

Jonathan Kalman

#1591 Post by Jonathan Kalman » May 11th, 2018, 2:31 am

Had good to very good meals in New York last week at Le Bernadin (always excellent), Marea (consistently good), Union Square Cafe and on my son's recommendation, Aldea a Portuguese influenced restaurant on W 17th which was very enjoyable. Had a thoroughly mediocre one at Clocktower, Jason Atherton's place. Was taken there as a guest, which was not comfortable. Also had a pleasant (and costly) visit to Chamber Street Wine; the team there are always knowledgable and patient.

ybarselah

#1592 Post by ybarselah » May 11th, 2018, 1:03 pm

had everything at una pizza this week. first pie was under, the rest were either excellent or profound. fiarly short ferment of very active dough and all natural starter. the texture and aroma are fantastic; very wheaty. most of the apps are excellent as well.
Yaacov (ITB)

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1593 Post by Dan Hammer » May 12th, 2018, 6:32 pm

We went to Nerai 55 East 54th street to celebrate my daughters 31st birthday. I'm surprised this restaurant hasn't been discussed. BYO is $35. Great stems. Delicious food. Wonderful service. They have a weekend pre-theatre 3 course dinner for $49, and they don't skimp on the portions. We went there instead of Avra. While the food is good at Avra, the service isn't what it use to be.

https://nerainyc.com/menu/

I'll post this is the NYC BYO forum.
This space for rent.

WvanGorp

#1594 Post by WvanGorp » May 12th, 2018, 11:08 pm

I love The Grill. They hit it out of the park every time I go.
Wilfred van Gorp

Yao C

#1595 Post by Yao C » May 13th, 2018, 12:05 am

Any thoughts on The Modern? Friend of mine recommended their wine list, which I am indeed quite blown away by, but I don't want to spend the time or the coin if the food is undistinguished

edit for said wine list: https://hub.binwise.com/restaurant/the- ... -list2.pdf
C h 0 o n 6

Ramon C

#1596 Post by Ramon C » May 13th, 2018, 6:23 am

Friday's dinner was at Don Angie, an Italian-American restaurant in the West Village. The foods we had were worth the hard-to-get PITA reservations for decent dinner time. Awesome garlic flat bread, the Buffalo Caramelle pasta and the roast chicken were our highlights. Good foods and friendly/efficient food service.

$35 per bottle corkage, bulbous stems not good, and wait staff quickly took my wine out to the bar and decanted it, even as I didn't ask for it to be decanted.

https://www.donangie.com/
@brera

Robert Dentice

#1597 Post by Robert Dentice » May 13th, 2018, 11:29 am

Yao C wrote:Any thoughts on The Modern? Friend of mine recommended their wine list, which I am indeed quite blown away by, but I don't want to spend the time or the coin if the food is undistinguished

edit for said wine list: https://hub.binwise.com/restaurant/the- ... -list2.pdf
I generally don't like midtown corporate type places as I prefer places like Blanca, Contra, small intimate Japanese etc.

However I love doing the shorter bar menu at The Modern. I am a huge German wine fan and I think they have the best Germany wine program in the city and most likely in the U.S. and it is fairly priced.

G. Keeler

#1598 Post by G. Keeler » May 18th, 2018, 10:23 am

I was in NY for a quick business trip this past week which included two work dinners. First night at Milos which is a scene but still deliveries a very enjoyable meal IMO. We had a few starters but my favorite is the excellent octopus. For mains we selected a nice branzino that was cooked perfectly. Somm picked out a few clean and crisp whites from Santorini that went great with the food.

Next night at Quality Italian. It was not my pick and don't see myself every going back but it was fine for what it is. Someone ordered the chicken parm for the table and it was a gut bomb. I couldn't finish my one slice. Bone in sirloin was cooked nicely and had good flavor. Sides and wine list were average. The service was nice though. Quick and attentive.

Heading back to NY next month with my wife for one night and we are booked at the Uchu Kaiseki Bar. Excited for that.
G L E N N

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1599 Post by Dan Hammer » May 18th, 2018, 12:51 pm

G. Keeler wrote: Heading back to NY next month with my wife for one night and we are booked at the Uchu Kaiseki Bar. Excited for that.
EATER has an opinion on this. From January 2018. https://ny.eater.com/2018/1/23/16912880 ... ew-kaiseki
This space for rent.

Robert Dentice

#1600 Post by Robert Dentice » May 18th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Dan Hammer wrote:
G. Keeler wrote: Heading back to NY next month with my wife for one night and we are booked at the Uchu Kaiseki Bar. Excited for that.
EATER has an opinion on this. From January 2018. https://ny.eater.com/2018/1/23/16912880 ... ew-kaiseki
I have eaten here 3 times (although not in the last couple of months) and would absolutely disagree with this review.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”