New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2601 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

It's probably on everyone's radar screens already, but I wanted to sing the praises again for Rule of Thirds in Brooklyn. I really can't recommend this place highly enough. The space itself is stunning, funky, comfortable, and very well designed and spaced for current indoor and outdoor dining options, as well as private rooms. The food is excellent, really a cut above even my high expectations with some dishes they could just be phoning in, like skewers, given all the attention of more complicated dishes. And the sake program is truly outstanding! There are options at every price level and a wide variety of styles to allow for experimentation or to please the already experienced palate. If you don't know anything about sake, George and his staff can lead you through or make suggestions based on preferences and food pairings.

One thing that makes RoT special right now in particular is that they really never had to close entirely during the pandemic, given their extensive outdoor space, and were able to keep on staff in both the kitchen and FOH. This means there are no real re-opening pains and problems that so many other restaurants are experiencing right now as they try and get things back to normal.

Full disclosure, RoT carries the sake we import, Kikuhime, including several of the harder to find options. It's a great opportunity to sample.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Robert Dentice
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2602 Post by Robert Dentice »

Echoing Sarah's praise for Rule of Thirds. I would also add they offer corkage (but you really need to order some Sake), it is a great place for groups and they are great at overall hospitality. The food on our last visit was the best yet there. Just tell George you know Sarah and me if you need anything!

Stay tuned I will be doing a big outdoor #rieslingstudy event there in May!
ITB - source | material

Robert Dentice
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2603 Post by Robert Dentice »

Great meal last night at Ernestos. I can't compare it to the real thing but I enjoyed the food very much.

ITB - source | material

Robert Dentice
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2604 Post by Robert Dentice »

Another great meal at Gem, this time lunch. Most of the menu for lunch is different than dinner. It is a very relaxed leisurely lunch that reminds me of being in Paris or Copenhagen. I managed to find four Natural wines that were all clean. One was from Luxembourg.

This ramp tortellini is one of the best things I have ever eaten!

This was from dinner last week:

Time to jump start this thread! Restaurants are back!
ITB - source | material

Rich Salsano
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2605 Post by Rich Salsano »

Heading to Jua in a couple of weeks for our anniversary. Can’t wait!!
Richard Salsano

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2606 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Robert Dentice wrote: April 19th, 2021, 10:09 am Another great meal at Gem, this time lunch. Most of the menu for lunch is different than dinner. It is a very relaxed leisurely lunch that reminds me of being in Paris or Copenhagen. I managed to find four Natural wines that were all clean. One was from Luxembourg.

If you’re having four wines at lunch it had better be relaxed.

Ramon C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2607 Post by Ramon C »

Robert Dentice wrote: April 17th, 2021, 8:48 am Great meal last night at Ernestos. I can't compare it to the real thing but I enjoyed the food very much.

In a dinner last week at Ernesto's, enjoyed the selection of wines btg, wine-staff that tended to us knew what I needed as I described, food were a little uneven with some excellent ones and a few that were not.
@brera

Robert Dentice
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2608 Post by Robert Dentice »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: April 20th, 2021, 5:11 pm
Robert Dentice wrote: April 19th, 2021, 10:09 am Another great meal at Gem, this time lunch. Most of the menu for lunch is different than dinner. It is a very relaxed leisurely lunch that reminds me of being in Paris or Copenhagen. I managed to find four Natural wines that were all clean. One was from Luxembourg.

If you’re having four wines at lunch it had better be relaxed.
It was five people! And all were low abv wines. And I do have to say that although I struggle with Natural wines these days there is something to be said for feeling great after a long meal with low abv / no or low SO2 wines. In Paris I occasionally drink from 12 noon to past midnight with lunch and dinner and in between and I never feel drunk or hungover.
ITB - source | material

Ethan Abraham
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2609 Post by Ethan Abraham »

Great sushi at Cagen, as always. Very unique, excellent variety, and far from "let's see how much Toro we can pile on" experience that seems to be hip these days. Still our favorite, and it's not even close. Please go! Chef Tomita is in the back at $200 pp, the other chef in the front is less (I've heard she's great too but have no experience).

Rich Salsano
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2610 Post by Rich Salsano »

Went to Jua last night for our anniversary dinner and it was legit. One of my better NYC restaurant experiences. Artfully prepared and a few dishes, including the caviar tuna roll bite to start was just knockout good. Wine list is interesting but overpriced so I was very happy I brought a 2014 Ultramarine Rose for $50 corkage. The cocktails are the way to go for sure. The gin amaro cucumber drink was delicious.

Would highly recommend.
Richard Salsano

Dan Hammer
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2611 Post by Dan Hammer »

We're taking my daughter and family out for her birthday. She wants to go back to Avra. https://theavragroup.com/avramadison/dinner/
We were always happy with the food, but the last 2 visits service sucked. Prices have shot up. Entrees average mid $40's. No thank you. I expect great service and I'm not willing to take a chance. Avra is Midtown east.

I'm looking for a Midtown east or west restaurant where we can get the Avra food experience. Suggestions? Outdoor dining suggestions a must. If they have a BYO policy, I'm interested.

Any reviews of Osteria Delbianco? The Elgin? Valbella? Il Posto Accanto in the east village.

Thanks.
This space for rent.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2612 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Ethan Abraham wrote: April 24th, 2021, 5:14 pm Great sushi at Cagen, as always. Very unique, excellent variety, and far from "let's see how much Toro we can pile on" experience that seems to be hip these days. Still our favorite, and it's not even close. Please go! Chef Tomita is in the back at $200 pp, the other chef in the front is less (I've heard she's great too but have no experience).
One of my favorite finds in 2019, front and back. Thanks again RD for the tip!

Ethan Abraham
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2613 Post by Ethan Abraham »

Barry L i p t o n wrote: May 4th, 2021, 4:12 pm
Ethan Abraham wrote: April 24th, 2021, 5:14 pm Great sushi at Cagen, as always. Very unique, excellent variety, and far from "let's see how much Toro we can pile on" experience that seems to be hip these days. Still our favorite, and it's not even close. Please go! Chef Tomita is in the back at $200 pp, the other chef in the front is less (I've heard she's great too but have no experience).
One of my favorite finds in 2019, front and back. Thanks again RD for the tip!
Go back! I think they can use the business.

EvanLodes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2614 Post by EvanLodes »

We had a very pleasant meal at Chefs Table at Brooklyn Fare last night. Great food (fewer but more substantive courses vs the last time I was there), and a wine list with some really great values on it (esp the German wines). This was fine dining with no Covid asterisk.

G. Keeler

#2615 Post by G. Keeler »

Click to see spoiler:
EvanLodes wrote: May 5th, 2021, 4:07 pm We had a very pleasant meal at Chefs Table at Brooklyn Fare last night. Great food (fewer but more substantive courses vs the last time I was there), and a wine list with some really great values on it (esp the German wines). This was fine dining with no Covid asterisk.
Good to hear. Its a great experience at Brooklyn Fare.
G L E N N

EvanLodes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2616 Post by EvanLodes »

David Kinch / Manresa are doing a pop-up at the "Intersect by Lexus" space in the Meatpacking district. We went last night with friends and ate outside. It wasn't clear from the website that it is a la carte only for most tables, with the tasting menu limited to a few Chef's counter seats. But the food was very good overall and the ambiance is good.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”