New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
jprusack
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2751 Post by jprusack »

Ramon C wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 2:26 pm
I liked Cervo's when we went a couple of times pre-pandemic and when they took reservations. These days the long lines for dining looks so daunting.
agree...our last meal pre covid was at cervos...it was a favorite for several years.

was surprised how popular it became post covid. we only eat outdoors due to a young child but if you are able to arrive before 6pm, you generally can have no wait or 30 minutes. they overestimate the wait time. we had a drink around the block and ended up waiting 30 minutes when they quotes an hour. had dinner at 7pm which was quite ideal several weeks ago.

i usually dont think outdoor seating is super enjoyable but here it worked. hopefully we'll go one more time before the cold weather begins.
J e a n - p i e r r e

Michel Abood

#2752 Post by Michel Abood »

I had a business lunch at Speedy Romeo the other day (can you tell I love pizza?). The outdoor booth on the sidewalk (not the street shed) was quite comfortable and had nice ventilation, service was good, and the food was delicious. The wine list is super small and a bit natty but I don't mind that. I actually opted for a beer, which was quite good (Bug Hug Fruited Sour - ever so slightly sweet but refreshing). I am usually a Neapolitan pie guy (hello, Ops!), but these more Roman-style pizzas held up nicely. The online menu was a tad difficult to navigate (and had not been updated), and the pie choices were a little too new-agey for my more traditional tastes. That said, we ordered 2 pies and shared them: the St Louie, which was delicious (Tomato, Hot Soppressata, Sweet Italian Sausage, Provel, Pickled Chili), and the Mike's Broccolini (Bechamel, Grilled Broccolini, Sausage, Provel, Chili, Basil, Mike's Hot Honey), which was good if a tad salty. I was surprised at how much I liked the hot honey, but I do try to keep an open palate. Overall I'd be happy to go back, though it's not a special trip kind of place like Ops or Roberta's.

A few days later I met up with friends at Bigelow's in Rockville Centre, on Long Island, for a late lunch which dragged into early dinner (linner). The food was terrific, easily some of the best fried shellfish I've had in a while: not greasy at all, with a thin coating of light batter, and super fresh ingredients. I will yearn for those scallops (like molten butter) and shrimp (sweet and plump), and amazing onion rings. One of our party was friends with the owners so we managed to BYO some incredible wines, that matched well with the food. Not the healthiest of meals, but you only live once.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Greg Kramer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2753 Post by Greg Kramer »

Michel Abood wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 2:41 pm
A few days later I met up with friends at Bigelow's in Rockville Centre, on Long Island, for a late lunch which dragged into early dinner (linner). The food was terrific, easily some of the best fried shellfish I've had in a while: not greasy at all, with a thin coating of light batter, and super fresh ingredients. I will yearn for those scallops (like molten butter) and shrimp (sweet and plump), and amazing onion rings. One of our party was friends with the owners so we managed to BYO some incredible wines, that matched well with the food. Not the healthiest of meals, but you only live once.
I’m in walking distance and love Bigelow’s. It’s a local treasure. As good or better than anything I’ve had in New England. I don’t see a mention though of their signature Ipswich clams. If you didn’t try them or they weren’t at their plump, sweet best, it’s worth a return.

Interestingly, they tried 2 other locations on the Island and both closed relatively quickly. But this one steams (or fries) along for 80 years. One pandemic benefit is their porch so now more than the 15-18 people the counter could seat can enjoy, Oh, And you don’t have to know the delightful owners to BYO, just bring stems. Champagne, Chablis, Aligoté all shine.

Sorry, not really an NYC post.
ITB - online retailer
VDLT Wine is a Community of wine lovers and small, artisanal wine producers

leslie renaud

#2754 Post by leslie renaud »

We're going to Manhattan next month for the first time in a couple of years. Before it closed, going to John Dory the first night was always a ritual for us. We tried another place two years ago (can't remember the name), and were disappointed. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Michel Abood

#2755 Post by Michel Abood »

Greg Kramer wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 5:46 pm
Michel Abood wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 2:41 pm
I’m in walking distance and love Bigelow’s. It’s a local treasure. As good or better than anything I’ve had in New England. I don’t see a mention though of their signature Ipswich clams. If you didn’t try them or they weren’t at their plump, sweet best, it’s worth a return.

Interestingly, they tried 2 other locations on the Island and both closed relatively quickly. But this one steams (or fries) along for 80 years. One pandemic benefit is their porch so now more than the 15-18 people the counter could seat can enjoy, Oh, And you don’t have to know the delightful owners to BYO, just bring stems. Champagne, Chablis, Aligoté all shine.

Sorry, not really an NYC post.
Oh, yes, those were on the list of delicious things. Bigelow's was a real eye-opener, despite being fried everything was super-fresh and (relatively) light. We brought 2008 Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs, 2004 Roumier Corton Charlemagne, 2008 Louis Carillon Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru les Perrieres, and 2012 Domaine Servin Chablis Bougros Grand Cru. All were fantastic with the food.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2756 Post by Robert Dentice »

leslie renaud wrote: October 4th, 2021, 3:06 pm We're going to Manhattan next month for the first time in a couple of years. Before it closed, going to John Dory the first night was always a ritual for us. We tried another place two years ago (can't remember the name), and were disappointed. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!
Dame would be a good choice for a fish oriented restaurant.
https://sourcematerialwine.com

ITB - source | material

Herwig Janssen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2757 Post by Herwig Janssen »

Finally , the US opened it's borders again for Europeans andI am planning a visit in November . I intend to go to Jua and Kochi and maybe a few others . When I try to make a reservation , it is close to impossible today . Two weeks in advance , 30 days ... Is that the reality today for everybody ? Thanks

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2758 Post by Robert Dentice »

Herwig Janssen wrote: October 6th, 2021, 3:37 am Finally , the US opened it's borders again for Europeans andI am planning a visit in November . I intend to go to Jua and Kochi and maybe a few others . When I try to make a reservation , it is close to impossible today . Two weeks in advance , 30 days ... Is that the reality today for everybody ? Thanks
Yes it is. Most restaurants are operating at lower than full capacity due to staffing issues and the demand is back to normal.

ITB - source | material

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2759 Post by mark rudner »

so who's in? clothes by mfg.....

https://ourladyofrocco.com/

Rich Salsano
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2760 Post by Rich Salsano »

We ate at Torien on Friday night. Really unique and lovely dining experience. Some skewers were better than others and the cartilage was a mouthful (pun intended) but overall, really enjoyed it. I would only go back though if the menu was significantly different.
Richard Salsano

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2761 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Rich Salsano wrote: October 10th, 2021, 11:00 am We ate at Torien on Friday night. Really unique and lovely dining experience. Some skewers were better than others and the cartilage was a mouthful (pun intended) but overall, really enjoyed it. I would only go back though if the menu was significantly different.
Lol. Yakitori menu will never be significantly different. Chickens always have the same parts - how different can it get? 😀

Fwiw, the cartilage there is superb. Among the best I have had, including many top places in Japan.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Rich Salsano
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2762 Post by Rich Salsano »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: October 10th, 2021, 12:04 pm
Rich Salsano wrote: October 10th, 2021, 11:00 am We ate at Torien on Friday night. Really unique and lovely dining experience. Some skewers were better than others and the cartilage was a mouthful (pun intended) but overall, really enjoyed it. I would only go back though if the menu was significantly different.
Lol. Yakitori menu will never be significantly different. Chickens always have the same parts - how different can it get? 😀

Fwiw, the cartilage there is superb. Among the best I have had, including many top places in Japan.
Ahhh. I didn’t realize they would only use chicken. Figured they would use other proteins. So if it’s always chicken, then yes, I think we had just about everything other than liver. And the cartilage was very flavorful. The ramen and chicken rice at the end were amazing.
Richard Salsano

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2763 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Rich Salsano wrote: October 10th, 2021, 5:01 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: October 10th, 2021, 12:04 pm

Ahhh. I didn’t realize they would only use chicken. Figured they would use other proteins. So if it’s always chicken, then yes, I think we had just about everything other than liver. And the cartilage was very flavorful. The ramen and chicken rice at the end were amazing.
Tori, in the context of food, is commonly used to refer to chicken in Japanese. It is a little confusing, because it's actually the word for bird in general, but in this context it usually means chicken. Every once in a while there might be a duck part, but yeah - it's a grilled chicken restaurant, and fiercely proud of it.

Many people outside Japan don't understand some traditional Japanese cuisines, where the point is to do the same thing, over and over, coming asymptoticially closer to perfection with every iteration, rather than doing something new and different. Pretty much every serious yakitori joint the world over makes the same 15 - 30 things. Diners go to have that, not to see what's new on the menu.

Amusingly, we went to a yakitori place in Kyoto that had a menu in, let's say, haphazardly translated English. It had a section of other proteins, like beef and lamb and duck. This section was titled "Other Chicken." Loved it.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2764 Post by Rodrigo B »

Torien is fantastic. Many asian foods overall are misunderstood for western palates I feel. Varying textures gets to be a big part of if which can be challenging to many western palates.
B r @ g @

CT: rcb25
IG: r.c.b.25

Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2765 Post by Jay Miller »

How does Torien compare to Yakitori Torishin and Yakitoti Totto? Loved the latter and really liked the former.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Joe Chanley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2766 Post by Joe Chanley »

heading in to NYC to celebrate my birthday next month and having dinner at le bernardin. wondering if there are recs for brunch on Saturday?

jprusack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2767 Post by jprusack »

Joe Chanley wrote: October 12th, 2021, 11:20 am heading in to NYC to celebrate my birthday next month and having dinner at le bernardin. wondering if there are recs for brunch on Saturday?
not a huge brunch guy but i still love sadelles in soho. great service, nice big room indoors (unfortunately havent eaten inside since covid) and their smoked fish and french toast are favorites.
J e a n - p i e r r e

Joe Chanley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2768 Post by Joe Chanley »

jprusack wrote: October 12th, 2021, 7:13 pm
Joe Chanley wrote: October 12th, 2021, 11:20 am heading in to NYC to celebrate my birthday next month and having dinner at le bernardin. wondering if there are recs for brunch on Saturday?
not a huge brunch guy but i still love sadelles in soho. great service, nice big room indoors (unfortunately havent eaten inside since covid) and their smoked fish and french toast are favorites.
thank you

A. Mishaan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2769 Post by A. Mishaan »

Balthazar, Pastis, Odeon, Raoul's.
Al Mishaan
NY, NY

Scott Rutkay
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2770 Post by Scott Rutkay »

Friends and Family at Sweetbriar the new restaurant on East 27th helmed by Bryce Shuman (previously of Betony and EMP).
I was a frequent guest at Betony and was invited to this event.
Started with their tiki cocktail, the Pina Swizzle - very tasty pineapple rum cocktail- very boozy.
First course was a snack, the pretzel crisp with ricotta mustard on the side- imagine the outside of a pretzel as a flat crisp - this was very delicious.
Appetizers were AHI TUNA CRUDO, CUCUMBER YUZU VINAIGRETTE, RICE and Grilled Cabbage with Grapes. The cabbage was the standout - when it was served i thought it was cabbage with olives, but the sweetness of the grapes went really well with the grilled cabbage.
We had two mains, the BLACK PEPPER MAPLE RIBS, CORNBREAD, HALF-RACK and the SMOKED HALF CHICKEN, CITRUS JAM, NATURAL JUS. The ribs were the homerun of the meal. Bryce has been working on the for the last couple of years, selling them as pop-ups or pick up under his company Ribs n Riesling. It comes with a side of cornbread that might as well be the star of the show by themselves. A must order. The chicken was vey tasty - very moist - but i'd go back for the ribs.
We had a side of delicata squash that was very good - roasted with a white balsamic that added some brightness.
Dessert was a chocolate mousse that was delicious - very rich - meant to be shared.
They didnt have all of the wines sorted on the menu yet - we tried a chardonnay and a spanish white - but there werent a lot of details about those from the server - i'd imagine that once they open for real the wines will be hammered out.
All in all a great meal - certainly a departure from Betony and EMP - this is way more casual.
I would try the pizza next time- i saw one at the table next to me and it looked very good.

Kelly Walker

#2771 Post by Kelly Walker »

Nice article by Danny Meyer about Sparks Steakhouse. Did not know his close association. I have been going there 35+ years. Drank some amazing wines off that list.

https://blog.resy.com/2021/09/the-most- ... ci_opening
The world of the happy is quite different from that of the unhappy.
- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2772 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Anyone been to Il Gattopardo?

Conveniently located to my hotel, considering it for a night I want to stay midtown.

jprusack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2773 Post by jprusack »

Barry L i p t o n wrote: October 16th, 2021, 5:43 am Anyone been to Il Gattopardo?

Conveniently located to my hotel, considering it for a night I want to stay midtown.
frankly, ive never heard of the restaurant. menu looks quite expensive and catering to corporate accounts. for that same price point, id probably opt for the grill on 52nd street. beautiful room and great food. a memorable nyc meal...pricey but nice.

other option would be the bar room at the modern. excellent food and a great wine list. in the museum of modern art.
J e a n - p i e r r e

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2774 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Barry L i p t o n wrote: October 16th, 2021, 5:43 am Anyone been to Il Gattopardo?

I have been to The Leopard, which appears to be either related or the same entity different space or something. I would skip it, Barry.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2775 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Thanks Sarah and JP. There was a write up in Forbes that had me intrigued.

Bar to at Modern is already booked. Might book Estatorios Milos instead of the Spotted Leopard (Gattopardo).

Greg Kramer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2776 Post by Greg Kramer »

Visited Llama Inn in Williamsburg for dinner last Monday. A holiday weekend but it seems the constant influx of young Brooklynites is typical every night. This is place is fun and has buzz. The rooftop garden (closing soon for the season) is a fabulous space. But this isn't just about see-and-be-seen. The Peruvian cuisine of Chef Erik Ramirez is exciting, challenging, well-executed and delicious. Service is polished yet warm and engaging. The drinks (wine, beer and Pisco cocktails) are adventurous and well-curated.

Please note that my experience was influenced by having recently being introduced to the owner and we may do some business together. But, I have little doubt that this is a worthwhile address regardless. We plan to visit their Nikkei place, Llama San in the Village very soon.
ITB - online retailer
VDLT Wine is a Community of wine lovers and small, artisanal wine producers

Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2777 Post by Jay Miller »

Jay Miller wrote: January 4th, 2016, 8:17 am
R Cabrera wrote:Thanks for the Laduree Cafe update, Jay. I've wondered about this place especially whenever I happen to walk by when in Soho.

I personally have a hard time liking both local versions of Laduree or Kayser (specific to their other baked items that are non-macarons, as I'm not into macarons, in general) as I simply think that there's a letdown with the goodies from the ones that are sold in their Paris stores.
I've tried several non-macaron pastries from Laduree now and have been unexcited each time. Even many of their macarons are not as good as they used to be but I'm still a big fan of the Orange Blossom.

If you're in Soho it's almost always better to walk around the corner to Dominique Ansel. In fact we did just that last night after Laduree to console ourselves and buy some pastries for tonight. The room has less than half the style of Laduree but the pastries have several times the quality. Assuming you ignore the cronut nonsense which I do.
I've been meaning to post this update for a while now but kept forgetting. Last summer I stopped in Laduree only to discover they discontinued the orange blossom macarons. I asked the girl behind the counter for a recommendation and she suggested the cassis. I bought some and walked off.

I took one bite from the first one and it was like biting into a packet of Welches' Grape Jelly. I looked frantically around for some place to spit it out but was forced to swallow. The rest went into the first garbage can I saw.

Never going back. How can the quality be so much lower than the non-US locations?

Victor Hong

#2778 Post by Victor Hong »

Jay Miller wrote: October 19th, 2021, 7:38 am
Jay Miller wrote: January 4th, 2016, 8:17 am
R Cabrera wrote:Thanks for the Laduree Cafe update, Jay. I've wondered about this place especially whenever I happen to walk by when in Soho.

I personally have a hard time liking both local versions of Laduree or Kayser (specific to their other baked items that are non-macarons, as I'm not into macarons, in general) as I simply think that there's a letdown with the goodies from the ones that are sold in their Paris stores.
I've tried several non-macaron pastries from Laduree now and have been unexcited each time. Even many of their macarons are not as good as they used to be but I'm still a big fan of the Orange Blossom.

If you're in Soho it's almost always better to walk around the corner to Dominique Ansel. In fact we did just that last night after Laduree to console ourselves and buy some pastries for tonight. The room has less than half the style of Laduree but the pastries have several times the quality. Assuming you ignore the cronut nonsense which I do.
I've been meaning to post this update for a while now but kept forgetting. Last summer I stopped in Laduree only to discover they discontinued the orange blossom macarons. I asked the girl behind the counter for a recommendation and she suggested the cassis. I bought some and walked off.

I took one bite from the first one and it was like biting into a packet of Welches' Grape Jelly. I looked frantically around for some place to spit it out but was forced to swallow. The rest went into the first garbage can I saw.

Never going back. How can the quality be so much lower than the non-US locations?
Knowing the better quality elsewhere, I would have gone back and demanded a refund.

The wish to avoid a scene which would have deterred bystander tourists would have led the manager to accede.
WineHunter.

J. D'Antonio

#2779 Post by J. D'Antonio »

Aren't Laduree macarons shipped from France instead of being baked on-site? That's definitely the case in Toronto, so I'm sure it's the same in NYC and other locations. I don't believe it's much of a secret, either.

We have a bunch of places making great macarons locally so I don't even bother with Laduree. Heck, even in Paris, I don't think they're all that.
futronic
J a y D ' A n t o n i o

Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2780 Post by Jay Miller »

J. D'Antonio wrote: October 19th, 2021, 10:19 am Aren't Laduree macarons shipped from France instead of being baked on-site? That's definitely the case in Toronto, so I'm sure it's the same in NYC and other locations. I don't believe it's much of a secret, either.

We have a bunch of places making great macarons locally so I don't even bother with Laduree. Heck, even in Paris, I don't think they're all that.
No, when they opened their first location they were shipped but a few years later they started making them on site. They also started adding more sugar for the "American" palate.

J. D'Antonio

#2781 Post by J. D'Antonio »

Good to know. Also: boo to more sugar. Totally unnecessary.
futronic
J a y D ' A n t o n i o

AndyK
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2782 Post by AndyK »

We're going to be in Manhattan and Brooklyn for 2 nights each in November. It's been 6 years or more that we've been to NYC and so I'm not that familiar with the food scene there...

I'll be reading up on the last few pages here, but are there any must-go-to places? Looking for hip & wine friendly places similar to Statebird/Progress/Morris here in SF.
k0berl | IG: @glou.sf

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#2783 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ »

4 Horseman might hit the bid Andy.
bleh | meh - | meh | meh + | eh? | ehh | yeah | yeah! | OHYEAH

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2784 Post by Robert Dentice »

AndyK wrote: October 20th, 2021, 3:31 pm We're going to be in Manhattan and Brooklyn for 2 nights each in November. It's been 6 years or more that we've been to NYC and so I'm not that familiar with the food scene there...

I'll be reading up on the last few pages here, but are there any must-go-to places? Looking for hip & wine friendly places similar to Statebird/Progress/Morris here in SF.
Atoboy has a Statebirdesque vibe. Although nothing comes close to Statebird, keep in mind I have eaten at Statebird well over 100x.

As far as the Morris the only places I can think of with a winelist like that, casual and fairly priced would be Charlie Bird, Noreetuh and Popina (Brooklyn).

https://www.popinanyc.com/menu-1/#cellar-list

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... .23.21.pdf

http://bw-winelist-website-prod.s3-webs ... 41-prod/#/

So many other great restaurants those are just similar to what you asked for.

ITB - source | material

AndyK
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2785 Post by AndyK »

Thank you for the input!!

So far, I have reservations at Aquavit and 4 Horseman and was planning on JUA and Ops as well.
k0berl | IG: @glou.sf

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2786 Post by Robert Dentice »

AndyK wrote: October 27th, 2021, 1:59 pm Thank you for the input!!

So far, I have reservations at Aquavit and 4 Horseman and was planning on JUA and Ops as well.
Absolutely fantastic choices! I love Four Horseman and the more I think about it, it is a lot like The Morris but with much better food and with mostly Natural wine but not all. I am going this weekend. Jua is probably my favorite restaurant of the moment. And I love Ops.

I have not been to Aquavit in years I did hear pre-pandemic it had gone downhill but maybe others can chime in on a post-pandemic experience.

Seeing your recent posts in the SF thread about Benu you might also want to look at Aska and Jungsik.

ITB - source | material

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2787 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Robert Dentice wrote: October 27th, 2021, 1:43 pm
AndyK wrote: October 20th, 2021, 3:31 pm We're going to be in Manhattan and Brooklyn for 2 nights each in November. It's been 6 years or more that we've been to NYC and so I'm not that familiar with the food scene there...

Atoboy has a Statebirdesque vibe. Although nothing comes close to Statebird, keep in mind I have eaten at Statebird well over 100x.

As far as the Morris the only places I can think of with a winelist like that, casual and fairly priced would be Charlie Bird, Noreetuh and Popina (Brooklyn).

https://www.popinanyc.com/menu-1/#cellar-list

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... .23.21.pdf

http://bw-winelist-website-prod.s3-webs ... 41-prod/#/

So many other great restaurants those are just similar to what you asked for.
I had a fabulous week of dining in NYC. Atoboy was one of them, especially at the price point of $75 including gratuity for 5 course prix fixe. (Corkage is $75 per 750ml, max 2). So not necessarily wine friendly, but the bargain prix fixe makes up for the corkage price. Significantly better than my first visit 3 plus years ago. Elevating their game for sure (with price point elevation to follow, justifiably).

If you want sushi, Cagen is a must go.

Marta is very wine friendly, and the food is straightforward but delicious.

Jua, One White Street, are very happening places these days, great food.
Last edited by Barry L i p t o n on October 28th, 2021, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnthonyDThompson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2788 Post by AnthonyDThompson »

Not to high jack the thread but is there really a restaurant called Atoboy as opposed to the legendary bar Attaboy (formerly Milk and Honey) started by my old friend Sasha, RIP.
Anthony D. Thompson
San Diego, CA

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2789 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

AnthonyDThompson wrote: October 27th, 2021, 8:40 pm Not to high jack the thread but is there really a restaurant called Atoboy as opposed to the legendary bar Attaboy (formerly Milk and Honey) started by my old friend Sasha, RIP.
Nah, all the people who are praisng it are suffering under the same mass delusion about Korean-influenced food and have the same spelling issues. 😉

In other words, yes. There really is such a place, and it's very good.

jprusack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2790 Post by jprusack »

I had dinner at Ci Siamo last night and figured I'd share. A friend bartends there and we opted for dinner at the bar. Very bustling (and a bit jarring as I get back to dining more often). Felt like a very after work, corporate crowd which also is rare for me as I tend to dine downtown. Wine list was very good and while not a steal, was better priced than most new restaurants. Prices for food also seemed notably reasonable. I imagine its somewhat subsidized considering the location but it was a nice change of pace from what I've seen recently. We opted for a Produttori Barbaresco 2016 for $99. I felt that was reasonably priced at 2x(ish) retail.

Food was actually quite good. The seafood salad was one of the better dishes I've had in awhile. Chunks of swordfish, scallops and mussels in a vinaigrette with olives. My tagliatelle with tomatoes also was one of the better pastas I've had lately. Very simple but done expertly well. Opted for their hazelnut gelato for dessert which was larger than expected and I only had a few bites.

Overall, while I can't see going there regularly, it was a hit. Definitely a good option in the area.
J e a n - p i e r r e

jprusack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2791 Post by jprusack »

four horsemen is a must for what you're seeking. not a huge fan of their wine list but frankly, their food is very underrated. nick, if still the chef, used to cook at franny's...one of my most missed restaurants in park slope.

also, havent been to aquavit in a decade but i have a friend who goes often as his wife loves the food.

i think ive shared my love for cervos many times on this thread and continue to think its my favorite restaurant in nyc over the last few years. more small plates vegetables and seafood. $25 corkage so i usually bring a bottle of ganevat. their wine list leans towards portugal and spain on the natural side.

if you go, a stop at eben's skin contact on orchard is a must. its pretty much the natural wine hub lately. good crowd and he's just a good dude. ten bells is close on broome as an alternative though i havent been there in some time.

lots of new places on my list to try which really shows how the city is coming back to life. i havent been but look into runner up in park slope, sobre masa in bushwick, sixty three clinton in lower east side, sami and susu for israeli casual, mighties for burgers, taqueria ramirez in greenpoint.
J e a n - p i e r r e

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2792 Post by Robert Dentice »

jprusack wrote: October 28th, 2021, 6:43 am

four horsemen is a must for what you're seeking. not a huge fan of their wine list but frankly, their food is very underrated. nick, if still the chef, used to cook at franny's...one of my most missed restaurants in park slope.
I agree with everything you wrote and just splitting hairs for fun. But the Four Horseman is a casual wine bar type restaurant and they have a Michelin star so not sure it is underrated anymore! I love the place and can always find something on the list to drink.

Also as I drove past it on my way home last night I realized I have neglected to mention 63 Clinton, another one to consider Andy. Chef was the number 2 at Brooklyn Fare and this is his first place as a chef / owner. It is fantastic.

ITB - source | material

Mark Cochard

#2793 Post by Mark Cochard »

I have read trough some of this thread.
Headed to NY on a Saturday in November and going to A Sherlock Carol. Theater is at 340 West 50th Street.
Will be taking the train up from Philly and returning in the evening.
Looking for a moderately priced restaurant in the east 50's or 40's for an early dinner.
At this point we plan on walking.
Have found a few Bistros that are possibilities.
Chez Napoleon
Chez Josephine
Marseille

Does anyone have any experience with these 3 or perhaps have other recommendations.
Thanks

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2794 Post by Robert Dentice »

Mark Cochard wrote: October 28th, 2021, 7:56 am I have read trough some of this thread.
Headed to NY on a Saturday in November and going to A Sherlock Carol. Theater is at 340 West 50th Street.
Looking for a moderately priced restaurant in the east 50's or 40's for an early dinner.
Chez Napoleon
Chez Josephine
Marseille

Does anyone have any experience with these 3 or perhaps have other recommendations.
Thanks
I have said this before and please don't take any offense. NYC is the absolute greatest food city in the world! However not all neighborhoods have great food the area you have highlighted is one of the worst. Why not expand your geographic reach 10 minutes? I can't understand why someone travels to NYC and will not go behind a 5-10 minute radius.

To answer your question specifically in that zone I would suggest the Bar Room at the Modern, despite it being a two Michelin star restaurant the Bar Room is fairly priced and the list is extremely fairly priced if you go with something like a German Riesling or Beaujolais.

ITB - source | material

Mark Cochard

#2795 Post by Mark Cochard »

No offense Robert. I know there are tons of places in the Village, SoHo, Union Square, Grammercy etc,
Had already Looked at the Bar at the Modern, but they they are booked.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2796 Post by mark rudner »

benoit is very close
the bar room at le bernardin can be done relatively inexpensive. RELATIVELY!

AnthonyDThompson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2797 Post by AnthonyDThompson »

The wife and I did a NYC Michelin bar crawl a couple years ago. Went to Marea, Le Bernadin, Per Se (the salon) and EMP. While not as sexy as sitting for the full menus the bartenders and servers are very helpful. In fact you can get a lot better conversation (how things are prepared, cooking tips etc...). You can split a couple signature dishes and some wine then hit the next. Spent on 4 restaurants what you would for the full menu at Per Se.
Anthony D. Thompson
San Diego, CA

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2798 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Mark Cochard wrote: October 28th, 2021, 7:56 am I have read trough some of this thread.
Chez Napoleon
Chez Josephine
Marseille

Thanks
Perhaps the saloon room of Grand Central Oyster Bar?

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2799 Post by Robert Dentice »

mark rudner wrote: October 28th, 2021, 9:51 am benoit is very close
the bar room at le bernardin can be done relatively inexpensive. RELATIVELY!
Or maybe their wine bar. I still have not been there but this would check the box for location, wine and I would imagine the food is good.

https://www.aldosohmwinebar.com/about

ITB - source | material

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2800 Post by Rodrigo B »

Most of the food at Also Sohm Wine Bar is small plates, so if you're looking for a larger meal, that may not fit it. I'm also a big fan of going there later in the evenings. Every day at 9pm they pour something out of large format, which is always fun.

There's also the Bar Room at the Modern.
B r @ g @

CT: rcb25
IG: r.c.b.25

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”