New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2651 Post by Robert Dentice »

Bdklein wrote: July 19th, 2021, 5:49 pm Any thoughts/experience/etc. on Le Bilboquet???
Food is horrible. Winelist way overpriced. People watching excellent.
https://sourcematerialwine.com

ITB - source | material

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2652 Post by Bdklein »

Jay $$ Winton wrote: July 20th, 2021, 7:21 am Need restaurants for 12/24 and 12/25. What's open?
Kosher delis and Asian restaurants.
B r u c € K 1 e 1 n

Victor Hong

#2653 Post by Victor Hong »

Bdklein wrote: July 20th, 2021, 10:04 am
Jay $$ Winton wrote: July 20th, 2021, 7:21 am Need restaurants for 12/24 and 12/25. What's open?
Kosher delis and Asian restaurants.
Their version of Black Friday.
WineHunter.

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2654 Post by Michael Sopher »

X-Mas day a lot will be open. X-mas eve it really is mostly Asian places and they are busy.

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2655 Post by Robert Dentice »

Michael Sopher wrote: July 20th, 2021, 12:35 pm
X-Mas day a lot will be open. X-mas eve it really is mostly Asian places and they are busy.
Balthazar is open and given the limited choices is a good option if you don't want to do a Chinese restaurant. I would probably do Wu's Wonton King if they are open.

Impressive planning ahead!

ITB - source | material

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2656 Post by J a y H a c k »

Yeah. We go out to celebrate with the Buddhists.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Victor Hong

#2657 Post by Victor Hong »

And then party at Matzoh Balls.
WineHunter.

Ramon C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2658 Post by Ramon C »

+1. We've never had issues with choices on what's open for Christmas Day. Use the great suggestions here with contributions by those who know: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=95495

It's Christmas Eve where Chinese and Japanese (which we almost always end up doing) restaurants are the ones that are open.
@brera

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2659 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Got a reservation at Via Carota, corkage is now $75. Since they have some interesting reds under $100, I might do that (or bring a wine that makes the fee worth it).

I haven’t had an ArPePe Valentina Rosso, they have the 2018 for $82. Any comments on that or other sub $100 bottles from this list? https://www.viacarota.com/menu

Normally would just bring a top tier wine but would be wasted with this dining companion.

Victor Hong

#2660 Post by Victor Hong »

Ramon C wrote: July 21st, 2021, 6:15 am
+1. We've never had issues with choices on what's open for Christmas Day. Use the great suggestions here with contributions by those who know: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=95495

It's Christmas Eve where Chinese and Japanese (which we almost always end up doing) restaurants are the ones that are open.
Funny, you do not look...........
WineHunter.

Ramon C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2661 Post by Ramon C »

Victor Hong wrote: July 21st, 2021, 12:06 pm
Ramon C wrote: July 21st, 2021, 6:15 am

Funny, you do not look...........
My Swedish-Icelandic look throw you off?
@brera

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#2662 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ »

Barry L i p t o n wrote: July 21st, 2021, 12:03 pm Got a reservation at Via Carota, corkage is now $75. Since they have some interesting reds under $100, I might do that (or bring a wine that makes the fee worth it).

I haven’t had an ArPePe Valentina Rosso, they have the 2018 for $82. Any comments on that or other sub $100 bottles from this list? https://www.viacarota.com/menu

Normally would just bring a top tier wine but would be wasted with this dining companion.
Good choice, but also the Occhipinti so and the Vajra Barbera Superiore look tasty and not overly gougey.
bleh | meh - | meh | meh + | eh? | ehh | yeah | yeah! | OHYEAH

Scott Rutkay
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2663 Post by Scott Rutkay »

Sat at the bar at Batard last night - new chef - he was most recently at Cafe Boulud.
I always enjoy their bar - very small, but very well stocked.
I had 2 glasses of Olivier Leflaive pernand-vergelesses 2017. I started with the cured salmon appetizer and had bacon wrapped monkfish as a main. I did not have dessert, but ended the meal with a glass of Reisetbauer Ginger.
It was a great meal - it rarely disappoints.

Ramon C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2664 Post by Ramon C »

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote: July 21st, 2021, 7:12 pm
Barry L i p t o n wrote: July 21st, 2021, 12:03 pm Got a reservation at Via Carota, corkage is now $75. Since they have some interesting reds under $100, I might do that (or bring a wine that makes the fee worth it).

Good choice, but also the Occhipinti so and the Vajra Barbera Superiore look tasty and not overly gougey.
Unfortunately cancelled a made reservation before. This post and the menu link just put it back on my radar.
@brera

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2665 Post by Rodrigo B »

Scott Rutkay wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 1:16 pm Sat at the bar at Batard last night - new chef - he was most recently at Cafe Boulud.
I had 2 glasses of Olivier Leflaive pernand-vergelesses 2017. I started with the cured salmon appetizer and had bacon wrapped monkfish as a main. I did not have dessert, but ended the meal with a glass of Reisetbauer Ginger.
Pre-pandemic they used to have one night of the week (forget which day) that had free corkage. Are they still doing that?
B r @ g @

CT: rcb25
IG: r.c.b.25

Scott Rutkay
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2666 Post by Scott Rutkay »

Rodrigo B wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 4:10 pm
Scott Rutkay wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 1:16 pm Sat at the bar at Batard last night - new chef - he was most recently at Cafe Boulud.
Pre-pandemic they used to have one night of the week (forget which day) that had free corkage. Are they still doing that?
They used to do it on Mondays. I’ll inquire the next time I’m in.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2667 Post by Rodrigo B »

Scott Rutkay wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 6:20 pm
Rodrigo B wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 4:10 pm
They used to do it on Mondays. I’ll inquire the next time I’m in.
I think this interim period is tricky as restaurants are trying to recoup a lot of lost revenue, so I'm understanding changes to corkage policies, now more than ever.

As a wine enthusiast I hope those will relax overtime, but Batard has alwaya had a solid list so it's not really a concern.
B r @ g @

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2668 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Nice choice on the Reisetbauer. Hans makes the best eau de vie.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Scott Rutkay
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2669 Post by Scott Rutkay »

Bar seat at Nougatine last night. Split a bottle of Billecart Salmon Rose champagne paired with their egg toast. Split a heirloom tomato salad and salmon over crispy rice with a glass of Camille Giroud, Auxey-Duresses 2017. Had a roasted chicken main with Domaine Dublere, Chassagne-Montrachet, Les Chenevottes, 2013. Finished with a glass of VEP Yellow Chartruese and ice cream.
The bar rarely disappoints. The bartenders have been there for years, while the rest of the staff seems to be replaced quite often. It’s a shame that the floor service is so spotty because the food and bar is exceptional.

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2670 Post by Robert Dentice »

GREAT meal at Wildair last night. Will post photos later.

The menu has stayed the same since they reopened and they just continue to perfect each dish. I never get bored with it.

Last edited by Robert Dentice on July 30th, 2021, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ITB - source | material

Dan Hammer
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2671 Post by Dan Hammer »

I finally had a chance to go to a bucket list place that I've been reading about since pre-Covid. Il Posto Accanto on East 2nd Street in the east village.

The original plan was to have Sunday brunch with my daughter. When this fell through, I wanted to eat at Veselka on 2nd Ave. Instead, I went to a non descript restaurant on my bucket list. If you were looking for a place to eat, you'd continue walking past IL Posto Accanto on east 2nd street.

I've been following them on Instagram ever since I read a story about them pre Covid. Since Janice is away in L.A., I decided to continue my food orgy. They more than lived up to expectations. The Carbonara was perfectly prepared. No overcooked pasta at this place. The incredibly smoky bacon added to the taste. The olive oil sour cherry cake with ice cream was right up my alley. Casual indoor seating, but I ate outside. Socially distant. They're constantly wiping things down. As you can see, Padma joined me for lunch. It's a known hang out for her, but I had no clue.

I posted photos on Facebook.
This space for rent.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2672 Post by Rodrigo B »

Had a great meal at Torien last night. Loved the space, food, service, and beverage selection.
B r @ g @

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2673 Post by Robert Dentice »

Rodrigo B wrote: July 30th, 2021, 8:32 am Had a great meal at Torien last night. Loved the space, food, service, and beverage selection.
Love Torien I need to get back. Some photos of our meal in June when the master was in town.

ITB - source | material

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2674 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Robert Dentice wrote: July 30th, 2021, 9:12 am
Rodrigo B wrote: July 30th, 2021, 8:32 am Had a great meal at Torien last night. Loved the space, food, service, and beverage selection.
Love Torien I need to get back. Some photos of our meal in June when the master was in town.

Thanks for the support, as always. New container just arrived, so a plethora of exiting new Kikuhime arriving on restaurant lists soon.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2675 Post by Rodrigo B »

Sarah, let us know which restaurants carry Kikuhime, been meaning to check them out for a while now.
B r @ g @

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2676 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Rodrigo B wrote: July 30th, 2021, 12:59 pm Sarah, let us know which restaurants carry Kikuhime, been meaning to check them out for a while now.
Will DM you.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2677 Post by Rodrigo B »

Dined again at Rule of Thirds last night. Lovely, open, and inviting space with great service, food and and a well thought out selective beverage program. Can't say enough good things about the space George and the crew have built.
B r @ g @

Scott Rutkay
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2678 Post by Scott Rutkay »

Had dinner last night at Bellini, the Cipriani restaurant attached to their hotel Mr. C, at the South Street Seaport.
Dinner was very good - more casual than other locations. Started with the Bruschetta that had Burrata with Freshly Shaved Truffle and their tasting of crudo. Highly recommended- the truffle bruschetta is huge - worth sharing - but you wont want to.
The crudo was very good - especially the salmon.
Had the branzino as a main- very good - a lot of olives on top with tomatoes.
we started with cocktails, they didnt know how to make a negroni bianco which was odd, my guess is that the waiter, who was young, didnt communicate it correctly to the bartender, but the regular negroni was very good as was the aperol spritz.
The wines by the glass menu wasn't very deep, but we did have a fairly good chardonnay from Sequoia. I've been before and brought a bottle, they charged a $55 corkage which to be honest, I would likely do again.
All in all, a very good meal - in a beautiful outdoor space- the flowers alone are worth the trip - it did not feel like the seaport at all.

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2679 Post by Robert Dentice »

Rodrigo B wrote: August 1st, 2021, 7:46 am Dined again at Rule of Thirds last night. Lovely, open, and inviting space with great service, food and and a well thought out selective beverage program. Can't say enough good things about the space George and the crew have built.
I am overdue for a visit!

ITB - source | material

Dinesh Goyal

#2680 Post by Dinesh Goyal »

A few views

1. Feels like mission ceviche in UES has gotten better
2. A nice meal at Wildair. Love their uni
3. Waiting to go to 63 Clinton st. Going next week
4. Loved the space at rule of third
5. Also waiting to try BBF (ex Kyo Ya) & Tsukimi
6. Lola Tavern is a good one for people watching (& pretty decent Greek food)
7. Ginza Onodera - as much as I want to avoid midtown restaurants, and even more so 5th Ave restaurants, this maybe one of my fav sushi spots in NY
8. Omakase by Orami - hour long, well priced omakase. It was good. But the reviews on Yelp May make you think it’s the best sushi restaurant in town, which it is not.

Ethan Abraham
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2681 Post by Ethan Abraham »

The Modern Bar Room is cooking some fantastic food right now, and the seats in the sculpture garden are lovely. Low corkage and also a very deep and reasonably priced wine list.

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2682 Post by Peter Kleban »

Ethan Abraham wrote: August 7th, 2021, 6:30 pm The Modern Bar Room is cooking some fantastic food right now, and the seats in the sculpture garden are lovely. Low corkage and also a very deep and reasonably priced wine list.
Thanks Ethan, nice to hear that. Been there many times, never disappoints. Glad it has come thru you-know-what in good shape. [cheers.gif]
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Humbert Gevrey-Ch 1er Poissenot '12
D&R Bross Grnach '19
Bêcheur Cab '18
Felettig Chamb-Mus 1er Charmes '14
Duplessis Chablis 1er Montmains '17
Duplessis Chablis 1er Vaillons '17
Couillaud Muscadet Experimental '09
H Lignier Chambolle-Mus Bussières '18

Ethan Abraham
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2683 Post by Ethan Abraham »

Peter Kleban wrote: August 7th, 2021, 7:23 pm
Ethan Abraham wrote: August 7th, 2021, 6:30 pm The Modern Bar Room is cooking some fantastic food right now, and the seats in the sculpture garden are lovely. Low corkage and also a very deep and reasonably priced wine list.
Thanks Ethan, nice to hear that. Been there many times, never disappoints. Glad it has come thru you-know-what in good shape. [cheers.gif]
For some reason the Modern has always been my "well we have a sitter and can't get a table elsewhere" place...but I will definitely go back on purpose now. And you really can't beat outdoor tables in the Moma sculpture garden.

Ramon C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2684 Post by Ramon C »

Lunch at Rezdôra on 8/01. Creative fun meets traditional Italian. Looking to quickly go back for dinner.
@brera

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2685 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Roundup from my diet busting week in NYC:

Amma - excellent upscale Indian restaurant, Sri Lankan tandoori shrimp was super, samosas and chaats well above average

Estatorios Milos - 3 fabulous lunches. Not many places where the stuff that is most appealing is super healthy and low cal. Oysters or greek salad or octopus to start, whole grilled fish or some of the best arctic char I ever had, fruit for desert.

Marta - Great time, great food, great price. Service was rough but no drop in food quality from pre - pandemic.

Via Carota - finally made it, worth the hype and the ignominity of a 5pm reservation. Luckily the timing was actually good, must return.

Cagen - I LOVE THIS PLACE! My last trip I had Sushi Ginza Onodero lunch and Cagen front room for dinner on the same trip. Same price roughly, but Cagen was better (true, lunch vs. dinner may not be fare). I loved Tomita, for the more rarefied experience in the back room, but was perfectly satisfied at Cagen. Not as crowded as it should have been on a Wednesday, if you haven't been and love sushi, you are missing out.

Gem - the only dud of the trip. 4 swinging strikeouts out of 5 dishes between me and my wife. Our dining companions fared better by avoiding most of the vegetable dishes. I thought of Dave Kingman's record, but can't really make that a good analogy, the fifth dish was nice but not a home run. While I appreicate the bold tries, the flavors didn't work for me or my wife at all (think Strawberries and curry powder).

SONA - another superb high end Indian restaurant, with one exception. More like the modern Indian food one gets in London. Goat cheese and spinach samosa was at another level of good. Buckwheat Bhel Puri ditto. Bengali Mustard Tofu and Green Pepper Halibut were super, as was Swiss Chard Aloo Gobi. The exception was cripsy garlic crab rice, which did not taste of either garlic or crab. I would have complained except my friend said he loved it (he has good taste, so either he had Covid and lost his sense of taste (joking) or was being polite). Go, just skip the garlic crab rice.

Jua - As many of you already know, Jua is the bomb!! Best meal of the week. Bold and innovative, but it works perfectly. Example: green tea shave ice over strawberries with a Korean sticky bun (Hotteok). I don't like sticky buns (too sweet and too sticky) butthe serving of the sticky bun with the shave ice (listed as separate courses on the menu but served together) was brilliant as it was like having an amazing and delicous palate cleanser after each bite. I found a surprisingly crisp Fiano de Avellino btg that went really well with it.

Parm - The perfect antitdote to airplane food (even if flying F) - A Chicken Parm sandwhich for me, eggplant parm for her, and a caeser salad. Heros werer fabulous, salad ok but good for my digestion. Ate it in the AA lounge before my late flight.

Miscellaneous

Joe's still makes incredibly good slices at multiple locations

Restaurant week is normally order something you don't want and get a free desert you don't need. Both MARTA and Estatorios Milos are having truly strong value Restaurant Week offerings. Marta, it's pretty much the whole menu for choice on primi and secondo (with a couple of petite desert choices). At a table for four, plenty of food to share, and a great deal. And if you register your mastercard, you get $10 back.

Milos has many choices that I would order from even if it wasn't on the menu; at $39 - $10 for lunch, a block from my hotel, a real winner.

Service was quite the mixed bag - great at some places (Jua, Milos) and clueless at others. Best example - when I asked for an Indian beer at SONA, I was recommended Lagunitas pale ale. This was after she explained how a gruyere and edamame dosa was a classic Indian dish.

Sh@n A

#2686 Post by Sh@n A »

Barry L i p t o n wrote: August 8th, 2021, 2:45 pm when I asked for an Indian beer at SONA, I was recommended Lagunitas pale ale. This was after she explained how a gruyere and edamame dosa was a classic Indian dish.
[winner.gif]
/ @ g r @ \

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2687 Post by Robert Dentice »

Barry -

Sorry that you did not like GEM but at least I understand why. I LOVE the strawberries and vadouvan dish. For me Marta is boring and too corporate. Whereas GEM is daring and I like that I am being served by the owner who is all of 21.

Very happy you liked Cagen and Jua.

And as far as service goes you have to give everyone some slack as everyone is operating with new teams and are understaffed.

ITB - source | material

Ramon C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2688 Post by Ramon C »

At Rezdora for lunch 2 weeks ago.
Impressive.

96D48BDF-5A79-4CB0-B232-F793714AE764.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
@brera

Robert Dentice
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2689 Post by Robert Dentice »

Had a great lunch at Estela. The brunch menu is slightly less ambitious than dinner but all around a great place for a weekend lunch. The wine menu has lots of fairly priced bottles especially German. It does however lean natural. Amanda Smeltz has moved on and they have a new wine director.

And a very good dinner at Atoboy. The menu has been revamped with a number of new dishes.

ITB - source | material

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2690 Post by Rodrigo B »

Went to Niche Niche Friday. Fun space, awesome vibe, and they seem to do a pretty good job at pairing their food to the host's wines.

Follow that by a fantastic meal at Noz's Ash Room tonight. Had an ever-so-slightly charcoal grilled then hay smoked bonito that was the highlight of the evening.
B r @ g @

Ramon C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2691 Post by Ramon C »

Street-table dinner at Jolene in the East Village on Friday.

American bistro dishes is commendable and nicely-executed, and the wine list veers on the natural and bio-dynamic mode. I did not byo but asked and it's $35 per bottle, max of 2 per table and not in their list.

https://www.jolene.nyc
@brera

ybarselah

#2692 Post by ybarselah »

did the a la carte at one white street, which i think will be one of the best new restaurants in nyc. a gem of a spot on a quiet corner in tribeca. fantastic list and service.
Yaacov (ITB)

WvanGorp
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2693 Post by WvanGorp »

Austin Johnson is one of the best chefs I know. Meet you there sometime and let’s put Austin through the paces. 😂😂😂
Wilfred van Gorp

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2694 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

I’m in! Menu looks great and must have had his food at Frenchie.

ybarselah

#2695 Post by ybarselah »

WvanGorp wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 8:39 am Austin Johnson is one of the best chefs I know. Meet you there sometime and let’s put Austin through the paces. 😂😂😂
i'm in! that would be fun. not sure if you know audrey (the wd) but she's fantastic.
Yaacov (ITB)

Scott Rutkay
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2696 Post by Scott Rutkay »

Rodrigo B wrote: August 21st, 2021, 9:40 pm Went to Niche Niche Friday. Fun space, awesome vibe, and they seem to do a pretty good job at pairing their food to the host's wines.

Follow that by a fantastic meal at Noz's Ash Room tonight. Had an ever-so-slightly charcoal grilled then hay smoked bonito that was the highlight of the evening.
I went to niche niche for one of their visiting chefs meals. Bryce Shuman, formally of Betony. He now has a bbq venture called ribs n’ Riesling. We sat downstairs in their lounge area. It was a very cool spot.

Alex Valdes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2697 Post by Alex Valdes »

ybarselah wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 8:32 am did the a la carte at one white street, which i think will be one of the best new restaurants in nyc. a gem of a spot on a quiet corner in tribeca. fantastic list and service.
I am doing the tasting menu in a couple weeks - do they allow BYO?

ybarselah

#2698 Post by ybarselah »

Alex Valdes wrote: August 25th, 2021, 12:15 pm
ybarselah wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 8:32 am did the a la carte at one white street, which i think will be one of the best new restaurants in nyc. a gem of a spot on a quiet corner in tribeca. fantastic list and service.
maybe, but the list is terrific and well-priced.
Yaacov (ITB)

Alex Valdes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2699 Post by Alex Valdes »

ybarselah wrote: August 25th, 2021, 1:46 pm
Alex Valdes wrote: August 25th, 2021, 12:15 pm
maybe, but the list is terrific and well-priced.
Definitely a great list - we are four and hope to do a mix of BYO and list.

Michel Abood

#2700 Post by Michel Abood »

On my list of places to visit in September when I'm back for a few weeks, thanks for note.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”