New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
User avatar
Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4226
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2351 Post by Paul Jaouen » February 13th, 2020, 5:23 am

Juliec wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:05 pm
If you all rush, kochi is byob. Probably until next week sometime.
best to check with the restaurant direct on corkage.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14222
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2352 Post by Jay Miller » February 13th, 2020, 5:26 am

Peter Kleban wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 3:25 pm
We were at Marea on Jan. 26 as part of a party of eight. Sorry to say, as others have reported here, it was not up to what it's been (we were there about a year ago and that meal was much better). A little more specifically, one appetizer was excellent (I don't recall the name, but it was similar to the Canestrelli which is on the menu now). The fusilli, however, were disappointing, a bit sad and tired, nothing like what they were a year ago. The main was branzino, very good but nothing to write home about. Wines we chose ('15 Produttori Barbaresco, a Tempier Bandol white, and a '17 Negri Ca' Brione Terrazze Retiche di Sondrio were all very good or better).

ed: changed "Marna" (a child of spell check) to Marea, which is where we were. Thanks to the eagle-eyed Jay M!
This is very sad news. It was one of our favorite restaurants.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Juliec
Posts: 121
Joined: August 16th, 2019, 3:57 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2353 Post by Juliec » February 13th, 2020, 7:18 am

True that paul. I call the rest all the time before I go (just called kochi last night). I was responding to the posters talking about jua and have a corkage fee. Kochi is getting their license any day now. I didnt get to jua in time. Usually if corkage is 50 the rest has some competitive mid tier wine or cocktail offerings.
hong

User avatar
Zachary Ross
Posts: 810
Joined: June 15th, 2009, 8:35 am
Location: Brooklyn

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2354 Post by Zachary Ross » February 13th, 2020, 8:19 am

Juliec wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 7:18 am
True that paul. I call the rest all the time before I go (just called kochi last night). I was responding to the posters talking about jua and have a corkage fee. Kochi is getting their license any day now. I didnt get to jua in time. Usually if corkage is 50 the rest has some competitive mid tier wine or cocktail offerings.
I asked the board about Jua's liquor license status because I had not heard back from the restaurant, with whom I inquired first. Turns out, last night was the first night with a liquor license! At the moment, their cocktail and wine list is very brief: about 4-5 cocktails, and a total of 12 wines: 4x sparkling, 4x white, 4x red, all available by the glass. I expect that their list will expand in due time.

Food was great! And as Robert said, a steal of a tasting menu at $95 per person (+$30 for truffles added to the jjajangmyeon noodle dish, which we opted for and definitely did not regret).
Iroulégeek.

User avatar
R@y.Tupp@+sch
Posts: 2676
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 8:22 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2355 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » February 13th, 2020, 11:43 am

Made a reservation for Kissaki.

Has anyone been there?
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2946
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2356 Post by Barry L i p t o n » February 13th, 2020, 11:56 am

Had a fabulous hybrid sushi/sashimi meal at Cages Sake Bar. Chef Hiromi seamlessly adapted the brilliant sushi omakase into a mostly sashimi format. I have now been blown away the two times I’ve went, Chef Tomita in the more exclusive back room and Chef Hiromi in the front. While the $95 (12 pieces plus hand roll) set menu may not be quite as exotic as the $180 (18 piece ) menu in back, quality was off the charts in both. If you aren’t tempted by extras, it’s a very reasonable price for this experience.

Thanks to Robert D for steering me this way!

And yes, the sound track was awesome! Something I rarely say.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1952
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2357 Post by Robert Dentice » February 14th, 2020, 6:26 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 11:56 am
Had a fabulous hybrid sushi/sashimi meal at Cages Sake Bar. Chef Hiromi seamlessly adapted the brilliant sushi omakase into a mostly sashimi format. I have now been blown away the two times I’ve went, Chef Tomita in the more exclusive back room and Chef Hiromi in the front. While the $95 (12 pieces plus hand roll) set menu may not be quite as exotic as the $180 (18 piece ) menu in back, quality was off the charts in both. If you aren’t tempted by extras, it’s a very reasonable price for this experience.

Thanks to Robert D for steering me this way!

And yes, the sound track was awesome! Something I rarely say.
Barry - so happy you enjoyed it and thanks for the write up as they could use the good PR.

User avatar
Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1360
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 10:34 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2358 Post by Ethan Abraham » February 15th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Jua question - red burg or is it hearty enough to stand up to a Rhone?

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1952
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2359 Post by Robert Dentice » February 16th, 2020, 4:13 am

Ethan Abraham wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 1:35 pm
Jua question - red burg or is it hearty enough to stand up to a Rhone?
I would say no on the Rhone.

User avatar
Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1360
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 10:34 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2360 Post by Ethan Abraham » February 16th, 2020, 7:12 am

Went with a red burg. 2010, probably could have gone with something a little older. Enjoyed the food though there are some climate issues when it's cold out!

User avatar
Zachary Ross
Posts: 810
Joined: June 15th, 2009, 8:35 am
Location: Brooklyn

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2361 Post by Zachary Ross » February 16th, 2020, 7:31 am

Yeah they could use a temporary winter "airlock" door - it's chilly near the entrance.
Iroulégeek.

User avatar
davidkong
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 24
Joined: February 9th, 2020, 12:43 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2362 Post by davidkong » February 16th, 2020, 8:15 am

Jay Miller wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 5:26 am
Peter Kleban wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 3:25 pm
We were at Marea on Jan. 26 as part of a party of eight. Sorry to say, as others have reported here, it was not up to what it's been (we were there about a year ago and that meal was much better). A little more specifically, one appetizer was excellent (I don't recall the name, but it was similar to the Canestrelli which is on the menu now). The fusilli, however, were disappointing, a bit sad and tired, nothing like what they were a year ago. The main was branzino, very good but nothing to write home about. Wines we chose ('15 Produttori Barbaresco, a Tempier Bandol white, and a '17 Negri Ca' Brione Terrazze Retiche di Sondrio were all very good or better).

ed: changed "Marna" (a child of spell check) to Marea, which is where we were. Thanks to the eagle-eyed Jay M!
This is very sad news. It was one of our favorite restaurants.
I feel similarly. I don’t get as much enjoyment as say a babbo or maialino.
Somm.ai
Owner

User avatar
davidkong
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 24
Joined: February 9th, 2020, 12:43 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2363 Post by davidkong » February 16th, 2020, 8:19 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 5:16 am
Finally made it to Cafe Altro Paradise. We had an excellent meal that straddled the all day menu and the dinner menu.

A well composed fresh Arugula salad, one of the best Cacio E Pepe dishes that I have ever had followed by the whole dorade from the dinner menu.

Given what a huge fan I am of Chef Ignacio Mattos I can't believe it has taken me this long to try it.

Since they have a lot of geeky Italian selections that I am not familiar with we let the somm pick the wines with some very detailed guidance and he did an excellent job.

Can't wait to go back.
This place is such a great option, always seems to have a spot (not like it’s empty or anything). Estela is so good but harder to get a spot, I find
Somm.ai
Owner

User avatar
davidkong
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 24
Joined: February 9th, 2020, 12:43 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2364 Post by davidkong » February 16th, 2020, 8:20 am

Joshua Kates wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 6:55 am
With wife and son went to Le Bernadin for lunch. I haven't been to Chef's Table, but best 3 star experience I've had (and I believe over the years I've covered all the other bases--not one to hunt stars per se). Dishes were truly remarkable combination of subtle, exquisite sauces and perfectly (and often barely) cooked and fresh seafood. Striped bass tartare with black truffle reduction was out of this world, for example. Also, while the space is gorgeous and serene, the staff on the whole are quite friendly and welcoming. The one drawback is no outside wine at all--would have gladly paid $90-100 to bring my own bottle. The 2015 Roulot Auxey Duresse@$190 was not a terrible deal, however (about double current price) and it was a lovely drink in itself and especially with the food. (Great with the monkfish in bacon jus!) Definitely recommend for that special occasion.
Chefs table is a must, and their wine list is phenomenal. $120 for aged Ganevat if I remember correctly
Somm.ai
Owner

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1952
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2365 Post by Robert Dentice » February 20th, 2020, 3:57 am

Can't say enough great things about Legacy Records private rooms. I did a work dinner there last night for 15 people and it was perfect on all levels.

User avatar
Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4226
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2366 Post by Paul Jaouen » February 20th, 2020, 5:16 am

Juliec wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:05 pm
If you all rush, kochi is byob. Probably until next week sometime.
According to manager last night free BYO will end next week. He’s thinking of starting corkage at $25 which is pretty good.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Juliec
Posts: 121
Joined: August 16th, 2019, 3:57 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2367 Post by Juliec » February 20th, 2020, 10:28 am

Thanks Paul!
hong

User avatar
R@y.Tupp@+sch
Posts: 2676
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 8:22 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2368 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » February 21st, 2020, 12:13 pm

Went for lunch at Kissaki yesterday. Minimalist but sleek room. They don't have their liquor license yet, but I inquired what their byob policy was. I was told it was fine to bring my own wine and their wouldn't be any corkage. I brought some stems not knowing what type of glassware they had. Upon arrival I was told that there was a misunderstanding and that I couldn't drink my Champagne and wine from my stems but they would "bend the rules" and pour the wines in the back into their tea cups. I didn't want to make a scene, so my friend and I acquiesced.

Sushi ranged from very good to ok and is definitely not in the first tier of NYC sushi restaurants. But it is fairly priced at $120 for 13 courses which includes gratuity.
IMG_0036.jpg
The first sushi course with my "tea".

I may go back in a couple of months to see if they've progressed, but not sure.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1952
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2369 Post by Robert Dentice » February 22nd, 2020, 6:13 am

Your intrepid reporter tried two new spots yesterday and I can recommend both

Goodmans Bar - opened in Bergdorf Goodman Mens store. Located on the 2nd floor right in the middle, prime real estate. Yes it is a bit odd an unlike most high end department store restaurants were they tend to be in locations that are not prime real estate. I think this shows how bad brick and morter retailers are hurting. On to the restaurant it was very, very good. If you happen to need a good meal in this area I would recommend it. Small focused wine list with a number of things I would be happy to drink.

https://robbreport.com/food-drink/dinin ... n-2895234/

Rule of Thirds (Greenpoint, Brooklyn) - I knew that George and Chef JT Vuong formerly of Okonomi were working on something. I knew it would be special. However I had no idea it would be this ambitious. We went during the media preview and I have to say I loved it. Great overall vibe. The space is stunning. You walk through an outdoor art exhibit into a stunning large restaurant. The food is Japanese Izakaya style. Overall the food was very good to excellent. Great Sake list and a nice small focused wine list. They will eventually be open all day. I am sure this will be added to the rotation...

https://ny.eater.com/2020/2/21/21147287 ... t-jt-vuong

Herwig Janssen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 880
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 10:02 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2370 Post by Herwig Janssen » February 25th, 2020, 3:49 pm

I went to Aquavit for lunch today . Lovely place , stunning wine list and great food . We had the herring ( great dish ) , the cod and the lobster .
Excellent dessert too . A gem .

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”