Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2151 Post by scott c » August 29th, 2019, 11:49 am

WvanGorp wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 7:43 am
Count me as a huge fan of Wayan. Maybe it was an off night. I’d recommend trying it again. Normally it’s great.
+1

I think your non-meat ordering hindered your experience (although I recognize there's not much you can do about that!). We had the ribs and the veal chop and they were both awesome.

Also, while I have ribs on the brain, Van Da in the East Village is also very good.
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2152 Post by mark rudner » August 29th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 10:01 am
I tried Hutong for lunch given it is a block from my office. Huge, flashy decor. The calamari flower appetizer was excellent. Everything else including the duck was just ok. I have had much better Duck in NYC. The wine list was decent and fairly priced. I will go back given the dearth of options in this area but overall was underwhelmed.

https://www.hutong-nyc.com/
is that the old le cirque?

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2153 Post by Robert Dentice » August 29th, 2019, 12:27 pm

mark rudner wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 12:10 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 10:01 am
I tried Hutong for lunch given it is a block from my office. Huge, flashy decor. The calamari flower appetizer was excellent. Everything else including the duck was just ok. I have had much better Duck in NYC. The wine list was decent and fairly priced. I will go back given the dearth of options in this area but overall was underwhelmed.

https://www.hutong-nyc.com/
is that the old le cirque?
Yes.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2154 Post by M.Kaplan » September 1st, 2019, 7:45 pm

FYI James Knappett from Kitchen Table, London, is doing a one night pop up at Benno on Sept 17.

https://www.bennorestaurant.com/event/kitchentable/
---Mark

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2155 Post by Jay Miller » September 2nd, 2019, 7:29 am

I took Arnold and his mom to Manhatta for brunch yesterday. Pretty much as advertised, stunning views, excellent Danny Meyer level service, food was hit or miss.

My heirloom tomato salad had three very thin perfectly nice slices of tomato marred by slices of sour, very underripe nectarines. The foie gras reuben was a bad idea from start to finish. Not only was each individual part of the dish subpar - the wagyu pastrami way too smokey, the foie gras too bland (how do you even do that?) but the whole was less than the sum of its parts. Nothing went together. Oysters Rockefeller was the best of the three, perfectly fine rendition of a dish which has wallowed in generally deserved obscurity for decades.

Things picked up with the main courses. While the duck was overcooked (Arnold liked it more than I did) the chicken was delicious and my squid ink Strozzapreti was surprisingly addictive.

All three desserts were top notch. The cheesecake, the ricotta, and the olive oil sabayon were all delicious with the crown being given to the sabayon.

So I wouldn't rush back but for certain purposes it's a good arrow to have in the quiver. For example I'd love to go back for a dinner around sunset when the view should be even more amazing that it was early afternoon.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

G. Keeler

#2156 Post by G. Keeler » September 18th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Going to be in NYC with my wife in November. Staying somewhere between soho and downtown this time. Have 3 dinners to plan. 1 night we are thinking Atomix and another night more casual, something like Frenchette or Via Carota. Would also like to do Japanese one night. What are the current favorites among the New York regulars? Could be kaiseki or sushi. Price not a factor. Thanks!
G L E N N

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2157 Post by mark rudner » September 18th, 2019, 12:59 pm

i have been to carota + or - 50 times and frenchette exactly once
given the choice i guess you know where i'd go.
the wine program at frenchette is indeed very interesting, but if you can catch carota when it's not crazy busy (rare since recent awards and reviews) i'd rather be there.
also if in soho hard not to recc uncle boons if you can get in.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2158 Post by mark rudner » September 18th, 2019, 1:13 pm

recent visits
as summer ends i'm finally getting back into the city and braved our way to hudson yards for mercado little spain.
it's a mall, and it feels like a mall.
the mercado is well done and well staffed. some wonderful apps at barra (the dissolving olives are worth trying once) with the potato wrapped chorizo being a standout.
then over to mar for the weird but most tasty shrimp in the style of bulli 1996, and also the garlic shrimp which were quite good.
i can't really see going back unless i had to be at javits or something.

then onto legacy records which i immediately did not like the vibe as much as charlie bird (which i love)
the wine list is bigger at legacy and they do not want to sell half bottles like at charlie bird (but they might depending on the bottle, apparently)
an enjoyable experience with a lovely staff, but not as well located nor as comfortable (for me) as on king street.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2159 Post by Robert Dentice » September 18th, 2019, 10:06 pm

G. Keeler wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Going to be in NYC with my wife in November. Staying somewhere between soho and downtown this time. Have 3 dinners to plan. 1 night we are thinking Atomix and another night more casual, something like Frenchette or Via Carota. Would also like to do Japanese one night. What are the current favorites among the New York regulars? Could be kaiseki or sushi. Price not a factor. Thanks!
I would suggest you consider Uchū or Cagen (the 6 seat Omakase not the front Kaiseki - both are good but the 6 seat Omakase is very special) depending on your price point. There are many other high end Sushi choices.

Atomix is amazing just make sure you know when you need to make reserve for November because they book up fast.

G. Keeler

#2160 Post by G. Keeler » September 19th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. Robert, we did Uchu last year and loved it. We will try for Cagen. Any other high end sushi recs in case we can’t get a booking at Cagen?
G L E N N

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2161 Post by Robert Dentice » September 20th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Sad to report Bar Uchu (not the Sushi part) has closed. I LOVED that place. So bummed. These small restaurants open with great young chefs and it works for awhile because they do not need to do much business to avoid losing money but then they realize you can never make money with an 8-12 seat restaurant that does two turns a night. Bar Uchu, Semilla, Luskus on and on they just keep breaking my heart!

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#2162 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » September 20th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 3:06 pm
These small restaurants open with great young chefs and it works for awhile because they do not need to do much business to avoid losing money but then they realize you can never make money with an 8-12 seat restaurant that does two turns a night.
When Gem closed for the summer and said they would reopen in September, I thought for sure that was the end. Glad I was wrong, but as you said, hard to make money doing a max of 24 covers five times a week.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2163 Post by Robert Dentice » September 20th, 2019, 3:22 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 3:12 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
These small restaurants open with great young chefs and it works for awhile because they do not need to do much business to avoid losing money but then they realize you can never make money with an 8-12 seat restaurant that does two turns a night.
When Gem closed for the summer and said they would reopen in September, I thought for sure that was the end. Glad I was wrong, but as you said, hard to make money doing a max of 24 covers five times a week.
Went to Gem last weekend for dinner and loved the new menu.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2164 Post by Ethan Abraham » September 20th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
Sad to report Bar Uchu (not the Sushi part) has closed. I LOVED that place. So bummed. These small restaurants open with great young chefs and it works for awhile because they do not need to do much business to avoid losing money but then they realize you can never make money with an 8-12 seat restaurant that does two turns a night. Bar Uchu, Semilla, Luskus on and on they just keep breaking my heart!
That's too bad! It did seem strange to me that the cash flow machine and namesake (ie, the whiskey) wasn't monetized at all. I imagine it will become a whiskey bar with small plates....

Rich Salsano
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2165 Post by Rich Salsano » September 21st, 2019, 6:28 am

Ethan Abraham wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 5:30 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
That's too bad! It did seem strange to me that the cash flow machine and namesake (ie, the whiskey) wasn't monetized at all. I imagine it will become a whiskey bar with small plates....
Definitely bummed to hear that. We really enjoyed it when we went a couple years ago. I understand the challenge though.
Richard Salsano

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2166 Post by Robert Dentice » September 21st, 2019, 8:04 am

On brighter news! Had a wonderful meal that night at the Sake Bar at Cagen. The current format is the front of the house is small plates and Sake and the back the high end Omakase.

It was my third meal at the Sake Bar and they are starting to dial it in. The food was good the first two times but I felt there were too many options and the overall format/concept needed to be refined.

They offer a 7 piece sushi option for $55, a Sashimi selection and then several a la carte options. We did the 7 piece sushi and added an Uni dish, fried fish and black cod.

The back is a 6-8 seat Omakase which I did last week and it is as great as ever.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2167 Post by Robert Dentice » September 21st, 2019, 1:43 pm

I was excited when I read about a new a new high end Sushi spot called Omakase by Maaser because it will be open for lunch on Saturdays. I have always struggled to find a good sushi option for lunch on the weekends.

https://ny.eater.com/2019/8/7/20758402/ ... illage-nyc

I went today and I have to say I was absolutely blown away!!!! 17 piece Omakase for $115 and free corkage in a beautiful serene atmosphere. The Sushi was exceptional.

I can't recommend this spot highly enough.

I was told the dinner menu is identical to lunch.

And the Chefs were more than happy to share some wine.

The only minor issue is that glasses are just ok.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2168 Post by Robert Dentice » September 22nd, 2019, 5:33 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 8:04 am
On brighter news! Had a wonderful meal that night at the Sake Bar at Cagen. The current format is the front of the house is small plates and Sake and the back the high end Omakase.

It was my third meal at the Sake Bar and they are starting to dial it in. The food was good the first two times but I felt there were too many options and the overall format/concept needed to be refined.

They offer a 7 piece sushi option for $55, a Sashimi selection and then several a la carte options. We did the 7 piece sushi and added an Uni dish, fried fish and black cod.

The back is a 6-8 seat Omakase which I did last week and it is as great as ever.
Some photos from Cagen Sake Bar.

ybarselah

#2169 Post by ybarselah » September 22nd, 2019, 8:49 am

luthun was okay - a handful of really good/great dishes, but 2/3 of the menu is rather average (mostly as a result of being overworked). we had the chef's counter $125 tasting. still byo as they don't have a license yet. i was speaking with the guy that will run the wine program and it seems he wants to focus on edgy/unknown wines. the entire experience is a little amateurish, the sound/music/lighting situation needs a lot of work as does the efficiency of service.
Yaacov (ITB)

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2170 Post by Robert Dentice » September 22nd, 2019, 10:07 am

I posted some photos for Omakase Room by Maaser! Still thinking about the sensational meal and planning on going back as soon as I can.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2171 Post by Robert Dentice » September 22nd, 2019, 10:08 am

ybarselah wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 8:49 am
luthun was okay - a handful of really good/great dishes, but 2/3 of the menu is rather average (mostly as a result of being overworked). we had the chef's counter $125 tasting. still byo as they don't have a license yet. i was speaking with the guy that will run the wine program and it seems he wants to focus on edgy/unknown wines. the entire experience is a little amateurish, the sound/music/lighting situation needs a lot of work as does the efficiency of service.
Bummer I have been thinking of going.

ybarselah

#2172 Post by ybarselah » September 22nd, 2019, 10:13 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 10:08 am
ybarselah wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 8:49 am
Bummer I have been thinking of going.
i hear you. close to your place, so stop by and see what you think. there's very talented cooking going on there, but it needs a lot of direction.
Yaacov (ITB)

G. Keeler

#2173 Post by G. Keeler » September 22nd, 2019, 12:18 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
That is a bummer. We loved our only meal there. That caviar hand roll is an all time bite of food.
G L E N N

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2174 Post by Robert Dentice » September 25th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Another great business dinner at The Modern Bar Room. 3 course meal for $75. Food is very good. Nice wine list with many choices under $150. Clients are always impressed. The best mid-town business meal spot I know when you want quick, very good food, great service and a nice wine list.

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2175 Post by Sh@n A » September 25th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 1:29 pm
Another great business dinner at The Modern Bar Room. 3 course meal for $75. Food is very good. Nice wine list with many choices under $150. Clients are always impressed. The best mid-town business meal spot I know when you want quick, very good food, great service and a nice wine list.
Reasonable BYO fee as well (I posted amount on another thread, I think $35?)
/ @ g r @ \

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2176 Post by Robert Dentice » September 26th, 2019, 8:39 am

Went back to Omakase Room by Maaser. Food was just as good as my first meal. Slightly different experience at night as they are busier and 6 other people who I know happened to show up and we had quite a bit of wine flowing between them and us and across the counter with the Chefs. It was an overall great lively vibe versus Saturday which was just a beautiful serene lunch.

A Rubin Stein

#2177 Post by A Rubin Stein » September 26th, 2019, 11:03 am

Really enjoyed Flora Bar last night, in what was the old Whitney Museum on Madison Avenue on the restaurant-starved Upper East Side. Wine list is very good, service top-notch and food quite good also. Corkage is $50. Probably one of the best places in the neighborhood.
a s h e r

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#2178 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » September 26th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 8:39 am
Went back to Omakase Room by Maaser. Food was just as good as my first meal. Slightly different experience at night as they are busier and 6 other people who I know happened to show up and we had quite a bit of wine flowing between them and us and across the counter with the Chefs. It was an overall great lively vibe versus Saturday which was just a beautiful serene lunch.
Robert,

Based on your initial post about Omakase Room by Maaser, I had lunch there today.
Obviously I respect your food palate and restaurant opinions otherwise I wouldn't have gone.
I thought lunch was very good but not great and here's why -

We were the only two having lunch at 1pm and nobody showed up for the 2pm seating. I felt like the chef was prepping me for next year's 4th of July hot dog eating contest at Coney Island as the 17 courses were all served within 45 minutes.
I thought the quality of fish and cut was very good but not quite at the highest level like it is at say Cagen.
Some of the sushi is overwhelmed by too many enhancements with strong flavors.

That said, it is an absolute steal at $115 with no corkage (chef asked us if we knew you once the two of us each broke out multiple stems and bottles. He and his assistant happily indulged in several glasses each that we poured for them).
However, at the end of the 17th course, chef asked us if we were still hungry and wanted a few more courses. We said sure, and told him we had enough after either the fourth or fifth additional course. When the check came, it was $230 each which is still very reasonable, but not the incredible bargain it would have been.

I will definitely go back now being prepared for the pace but I will stop after the 17th course.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2179 Post by Robert Dentice » September 26th, 2019, 2:24 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 1:49 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 8:39 am
Robert,

Based on your initial post about Omakase Room by Maaser, I had lunch there today.
Obviously I respect your food palate and restaurant opinions otherwise I wouldn't have gone.
I thought lunch was very good but not great and here's why -

We were the only two having lunch at 1pm and nobody showed up for the 2pm seating. I felt like the chef was prepping me for next year's 4th of July hot dog eating contest at Coney Island as the 17 courses were all served within 45 minutes.
I thought the quality of fish and cut was very good but not quite at the highest level like it is at say Cagen.
Some of the sushi is overwhelmed by too many enhancements with strong flavors.

That said, it is an absolute steal at $115 with no corkage (chef asked us if we knew you once the two of us each broke out multiple stems and bottles. He and his assistant happily indulged in several glasses each that we poured for them).
However, at the end of the 17th course, chef asked us if we were still hungry and wanted a few more courses. We said sure, and told him we had enough after either the fourth or fifth additional course. When the check came, it was $230 each which is still very reasonable, but not the incredible bargain it would have been.

I will definitely go back now being prepared for the pace but I will stop after the 17th course.
Ray - I am so sorry your experience was not as good as mine. After last nights meal which was great but definitely a fast pace I see more what their business model is. A little surprised it was so rushed at lunch. I agree at $115 it is a great deal. When I go back I will try to either do the last lunch seating or the 9:00 dinner slot. I also liked some of the enhancements slightly more than you but know what you are saying.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2180 Post by Robert Dentice » September 26th, 2019, 2:49 pm

WvanGorp wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 2:47 pm
Shun is extraordinary.
For a party of 5 or 6 they require a set menu selected in advance at Shun. That is crazy.

Zachary Ross

#2181 Post by Zachary Ross » September 27th, 2019, 4:46 am

A Rubin Stein wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 11:03 am
Really enjoyed Flora Bar last night, in what was the old Whitney Museum on Madison Avenue on the restaurant-starved Upper East Side. Wine list is very good, service top-notch and food quite good also. Corkage is $50. Probably one of the best places in the neighborhood.
It's great and the space is lovely too. I wonder if Flora Bar will remain after the building switches hands from the Met to the Frick, if that happens. That's scheduled for 2020.
Iroulégeek.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2182 Post by Robert Dentice » October 3rd, 2019, 3:09 am

Went to Shun last night for a business dinner. Not my style of place and the food is dated BUT I found something charming or intriguing about it and I would go back, especially for a business dinner. I do not understand the Japanese aspect of it? The Matsutake was the only dish that was obviously inspired by Japanese cuisine. Some of the flavors were very strong like the orange in the duck which paired very well with an Oregon Pinot. The wine list is as you would expect for a new restaurant with mostly new vintages and had no depth. Of the four bottles I ordered they were out of one and one was their last bottle. I noticed they allow corkage for $75. I could not help but feel as all signs point to a recession that they might have missed their window by several years....

Rich Salsano
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2183 Post by Rich Salsano » October 4th, 2019, 4:12 am

This is probably mentioned already but Crown Shy should be at the top of must try spots in nyc at the moment. Went for the first time last night and was really impressed. Killer cocktails, inventive food prepared almost flawlessly (short rib was over seasoned is my only minor complaint) and a really well curated and priced wine list.

By far my best nyc dining experience this year and possibly longer.
Richard Salsano

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2184 Post by Robert Dentice » October 4th, 2019, 4:52 am

Finally did The Grill Room last night for another business dinner. I would say it was exactly as expected and perfect for an expense account dinner. The food was ok. The pressed pasta dish interesting the Guinea Hen a bit dry. I ordered a couple of geeky wines and the somm did not really seem interested.

One thing I thought was very weird, creepy and sexist is you are greeted by several young attractive women who walk you to your table and chat you up the entire way.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2185 Post by mark rudner » October 4th, 2019, 7:09 am

that's not creepy and sexist it's exactly how ole blue eyes (and julian) liked it ;)

WvanGorp

#2186 Post by WvanGorp » October 4th, 2019, 10:31 am

I LOVE The Grill. And Brittany, the maitre ‘d, is among the best in the business.
Wilfred van Gorp

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2187 Post by Robert Dentice » October 9th, 2019, 6:15 am

Interesting article on the Batali restaurants. I am not a fan of the restaurants nonetheless it feels like the writers wanted to do a take down piece but found them all not to be as bad as hoped?

https://ny.eater.com/2019/10/8/20899482 ... bastianich

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#2188 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » October 9th, 2019, 7:57 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 6:15 am
Interesting article on the Batali restaurants. I am not a fan of the restaurants nonetheless it feels like the writers wanted to do a take down piece but found them all not to be as bad as hoped?

Del Posto's review was pretty harsh.

Rob M

#2189 Post by Rob M » October 9th, 2019, 8:32 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 7:57 am
Robert Dentice wrote:

I think Eater simply has it out for these restaurants and there isn't much substance behind the reviews. I will say of the group that Otto was the biggest disappointment in terms of service and food for me, and it really should be improved....that said the wine selection has many bargains.

Babbo and Del Posto remain two of the best destinations in NYC for anybody who loves Italian wine, as the collections are pretty much unparalleled. You need to pick your spots in terms of pricing but plenty of the lists are reasonably priced relative to the caliber of the restaurant.
Rob McLaughlin

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#2190 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » October 9th, 2019, 8:40 am

Rob M wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 8:32 am
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 7:57 am
Robert Dentice wrote:

I think Eater simply has it out for these restaurants and there isn't much substance behind the reviews. I will say of the group that Otto was the biggest disappointment in terms of service and food for me, and it really should be improved....that said the wine selection has many bargains.

Babbo and Del Posto remain two of the best destinations in NYC for anybody who loves Italian wine, as the collections are pretty much unparalleled. You need to pick your spots in terms of pricing but plenty of the lists are reasonably priced relative to the caliber of the restaurant.
I haven't been to Babbo in about ten years, but I never thought the food was great.

On the other hand, I've had a number of great dinners and lunches at Del Posto but haven't been since Ladner left.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2191 Post by mark rudner » October 9th, 2019, 8:46 am

lupa is still as good as ever
my favorite of the 4, but it gets pretty expensive given how low key it seems (compared to babbo or del posto)
funny that eater mentions the maitre d at babbo as essentially cranky as ever
probably still john manieri although i haven't been in years.

Ramon C

#2192 Post by Ramon C » October 9th, 2019, 8:54 am

Haven't been in, maybe 6+ years, but went quite a bit before then. I found Lupa to be the best value in terms of good food and always a solid lunch destination that's nowhere as crazy busy as during dinner; whereas Babbo's pasta dishes and robust Italian wine list for all budgets were some of my favorites among local Italian restaurants.
@brera

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2193 Post by MBerto » October 9th, 2019, 9:21 am

Anyone know how long in advance Daniel accepts reservations? Looking at early December.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2194 Post by Robert Dentice » October 9th, 2019, 9:54 am

MBerto wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 9:21 am
Anyone know how long in advance Daniel accepts reservations? Looking at early December.
I do not however I can't imagine it is hard reservation. I just looked and other than around 7:30 for the next few days there are reservations every day this month.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2195 Post by Ethan Abraham » October 11th, 2019, 7:29 am

Has anyone been to Reverence yet? Been open a few months and I've heard zero buzz about it.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2196 Post by Robert Dentice » October 11th, 2019, 7:32 am

Ethan Abraham wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 7:29 am
Has anyone been to Reverence yet? Been open a few months and I've heard zero buzz about it.
Most likely because the Chef is from SF and not well known and the restaurant is in Harlem.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2197 Post by Robert Dentice » October 14th, 2019, 6:31 am

Two recent casual meals.

Wild Air is as great as ever and the wine list has a few non Natural wines including a couple of German rieslings.

Atoboy has added a few new dishes to the menu. Sadly the Endive Shrimp is no longer on. Overall it is still great and one of my favorite casual spots and a Sunday tradition.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#2198 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » October 15th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Third time at Crown Shy. First dinner.

Food, Service and Stemware were all outstanding, especially the Wine Service.

Good vibe as well.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2199 Post by Robert Dentice » October 16th, 2019, 6:39 am

Hit friends and family on Monday for Chef Daniel Burns residency at Chefs Club. Recall Chef Burns former restaurant Luksus and he has worked as the Head Pastry Chef at Noma and held various other positions at St Johns and Momofuku test kitchen among others.

Overall outstanding and the steak tartare was one of the best dishes I have ever had and paired extremely well with the Keller Absterde from Magnum. Given his role at Noma it is no surprise that the Parnsip + chocolate dessert was amazing. I believe he will be there for about a month with various collaborations along the way including yours truly who will be doing a wine and music collab with him the week of 10/28.

Mike Cohen

#2200 Post by Mike Cohen » October 16th, 2019, 7:43 am

Recently discovered Via Carota (thanks YB) and have had two excellent meals there in the past three weeks. The room is great and the service was on point. The menu is large so I was pleasantly surprised that there were no duds. It's super casual and exactly the way that I want to eat and drink for a quick but enjoyable meal. My only criticism is that it's not a place to linger. They turn tables very quickly. For my two meals there that was great as we were just looking for a quick bite, but if you wanted to make a meal at VC your night, it's probably not the place.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”