Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2151 Post by scott c » August 29th, 2019, 11:49 am

WvanGorp wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 7:43 am
Count me as a huge fan of Wayan. Maybe it was an off night. I’d recommend trying it again. Normally it’s great.
+1

I think your non-meat ordering hindered your experience (although I recognize there's not much you can do about that!). We had the ribs and the veal chop and they were both awesome.

Also, while I have ribs on the brain, Van Da in the East Village is also very good.
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2152 Post by mark rudner » August 29th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 10:01 am
I tried Hutong for lunch given it is a block from my office. Huge, flashy decor. The calamari flower appetizer was excellent. Everything else including the duck was just ok. I have had much better Duck in NYC. The wine list was decent and fairly priced. I will go back given the dearth of options in this area but overall was underwhelmed.

https://www.hutong-nyc.com/
is that the old le cirque?

Robert Dentice

#2153 Post by Robert Dentice » August 29th, 2019, 12:27 pm

mark rudner wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 12:10 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 10:01 am
I tried Hutong for lunch given it is a block from my office. Huge, flashy decor. The calamari flower appetizer was excellent. Everything else including the duck was just ok. I have had much better Duck in NYC. The wine list was decent and fairly priced. I will go back given the dearth of options in this area but overall was underwhelmed.

https://www.hutong-nyc.com/
is that the old le cirque?
Yes.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2154 Post by M.Kaplan » September 1st, 2019, 7:45 pm

FYI James Knappett from Kitchen Table, London, is doing a one night pop up at Benno on Sept 17.

https://www.bennorestaurant.com/event/kitchentable/
---Mark

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2155 Post by Jay Miller » September 2nd, 2019, 7:29 am

I took Arnold and his mom to Manhatta for brunch yesterday. Pretty much as advertised, stunning views, excellent Danny Meyer level service, food was hit or miss.

My heirloom tomato salad had three very thin perfectly nice slices of tomato marred by slices of sour, very underripe nectarines. The foie gras reuben was a bad idea from start to finish. Not only was each individual part of the dish subpar - the wagyu pastrami way too smokey, the foie gras too bland (how do you even do that?) but the whole was less than the sum of its parts. Nothing went together. Oysters Rockefeller was the best of the three, perfectly fine rendition of a dish which has wallowed in generally deserved obscurity for decades.

Things picked up with the main courses. While the duck was overcooked (Arnold liked it more than I did) the chicken was delicious and my squid ink Strozzapreti was surprisingly addictive.

All three desserts were top notch. The cheesecake, the ricotta, and the olive oil sabayon were all delicious with the crown being given to the sabayon.

So I wouldn't rush back but for certain purposes it's a good arrow to have in the quiver. For example I'd love to go back for a dinner around sunset when the view should be even more amazing that it was early afternoon.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”