New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Robert Dentice

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2051 Post by Robert Dentice » June 5th, 2019, 9:02 am

Needed a spot for a client dinner last night with good wine, food and vibe. So I decided to try Legacy Records and is was absolutely perfect. Everything I was looking for and I have to say the food was even better than i was expecting. And wine service was as you would suspect from the worlds top somm - perfect. It might sound simple but every wine was served at the perfect temperature and in the proper glass. You would be surprised how I often this is not the case. I originally went because it fit the bill of what I was looking for but I will go back willingly/intentionally because I enjoyed it so much.

Robert Dentice

#2052 Post by Robert Dentice » June 5th, 2019, 9:04 am

It is a slightly bizarre review but I have to give Pete Wells credit for writing it. His original review could have killed the restaurant.

https://ny.eater.com/2019/6/4/18652334/ ... -two-stars

I hope Una is extremely busy and Anthony stays in NYC.

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2053 Post by Scott Jameson » June 5th, 2019, 10:57 am

Scott Jameson wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 3:31 pm
Michael Sopher wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 2:16 pm
If you can get a rez at Manhatta for say 8:00 or 8:30 on the 4th, might be best possible views and food combo

https://www.manhattarestaurant.com/menus/
Both you and Wilfred mentioned Manhatta. It looks like a great choice. I've eaten at a couple of Danny Meyer's restaurants and have always been very pleased with them.
It turns out Manhatta is closed from July 1st to the 4th. They said it's due to some work Con Edison is doing [dontknow.gif] Oh well ...

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2054 Post by mark rudner » June 5th, 2019, 11:29 am

robert
do you have similar feelings about charlie bird?
probably my most visited restaurant in nyc, but haven't been to legacy yet.

Robert Dentice

#2055 Post by Robert Dentice » June 5th, 2019, 11:39 am

mark rudner wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 11:29 am
robert
do you have similar feelings about charlie bird?
probably my most visited restaurant in nyc, but haven't been to legacy yet.
It is one of those places that I always enjoy when I go for some specific reason but it never seems to get into the rotation. If you like Charlie Bird I think you will love Legacy.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2056 Post by mark rudner » June 5th, 2019, 11:45 am

it's just not in a location i find myself too often, if at all, so it's going to be a "worth a detour" kinda thing.
thanks

ybarselah

#2057 Post by ybarselah » June 5th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 9:02 am
Needed a spot for a client dinner last night with good wine, food and vibe. So I decided to try Legacy Records and is was absolutely perfect. Everything I was looking for and I have to say the food was even better than i was expecting. And wine service was as you would suspect from the worlds top somm - perfect. It might sound simple but every wine was served at the perfect temperature and in the proper glass. You would be surprised how I often this is not the case. I originally went because it fit the bill of what I was looking for but I will go back willingly/intentionally because I enjoyed it so much.
i'm pleasantly surprised and i agree. ada's place upstairs is more than just a bar and i think you'd enjoy that as well. and next time, try and take a tour of the private dining spaces; really stunning.
Yaacov (ITB)

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2058 Post by Sh@n A » June 7th, 2019, 7:18 am

Carbone. Grandiose servers, energetic music, over-the-top flavors (but executed well to their vision), and a Hamptons-esque clientele that will look you up and down (even the old men) when you walk in. The goal of the restaurant is to make as much money as possible from a clientele happy to pay the rent for the experience (see water service below!). I want to dislike it more than I actually did, as ultimately it was... interesting... and I like habanero velveeta mac and cheese.

Octopus Pizziola:
Was more like sausage with sweet and brined cherry peppers
Think loads sweet balsamic red peppers + cherry pepper vinegar
The octpus texture was meaty, and not overly soft... felt more like a meaty sausage
Big flavors, but the octopus is lost in it

Spicy Rigatoni Penne Vodka:
Haberno nacho cheese mac & cheese with tomato essence. Truly excellent velveeta+ mouthfeel. Felt like I was in high school, it was 11PM, and I just microwaved something glorious to watch an excellent kung fu movie. I am not exaggerating here. Try it!! Excellent nacho mac'n'cheese. I can still taste it. I prefer Doritos cool ranch today, but this is a good nacho cheese fix. cheesehead

Chicken Massimo:
By now I expected huge flavors, in this case a balsamico party. This dish was definitely sweet/a little candied, but not cloying. Notably, the chicken was very juicy.

Potato Louie:
Roasted potato, extra garlic, needed salt.

Water policy:
Servers are literally tackling water glasses in a rush to make sure no inch is left unfilled and ding you for the bottle charge. Literally there is water splashing on our table as they hold the Pelligrino bottle near vertical. I'm not joking, if you took a sip-- just a sip-- they would try to re-fill it close to the brim. It was a sport. We go dinged on check for 2 bottles of Pelligrino for 2 people.

Wine...
Wine by the glass was terribly disappointing. Offers 2014 and 2017 nebbiolo... why not 2015 or 2016? $20 per glass prices for $20 bottles. CT ratings on all the glasses are < 88. They give you a worse glass for the by-the-glass then if you order a bottle of wine.

Wine list was better thought out. For barolo I spied Cappellano, Conterno, Gaja, Elio Grasso. Steep mark-ups to be expected. Some Ghemme maybe where the value is?

However, $50 corkage.. definitely the way to go. But with these flavors I don't think you will be able to taste the wine. I nearly brought a 1964 Pio Cesare to dinner, but am glad I did not... the spicy rigatoni definitely has true habanero cheese heat!
/ @ g r @ \

Robert Dentice

#2059 Post by Robert Dentice » June 10th, 2019, 10:57 am

Dined at Per Se on Saturday in the Salon. I should say that I am not a fan of Per Se type dining, I don't liking walking out of restaurant feeling like a stuffed goose. I think Chef Thomas Keller has done an admirable job of listening to the poor reviews and lookng around at what is working in the restaurant world. I heard they have a new CDC and that the menu has been changed. I have been eager to try the new style food and intrigued by many photos I have seen online. This and an incredibly under-priced bottle of wine plus a cancelled flight led me to Per Se to try the 5 course lunch in the Salon. I will note the service every step of the way could not have been better. Many people knew us from the restaurant scene in NY and all welcomed us and it was genuine. BUT the first thing I noticed is that they are playing music, not just any music, very obscure music that I love (W.I.T.C.H. - Zambian Rock!), Max Roach, Gabor Szabo, etc - if you ever listen to Gilles Petersons' BBC Radio 6 show the current playlist at Per Se sounds exactly like one of his Saturday shows. Any way being a serious music geek I was extremely pleased. They also play the playlist in the full dining room which really shocked me.

On to the food. The Salon is a five course meal yet there are two expensive supplements and they really try to get you to add additional dishes. The food was better, much lighter and a nice mix of a couple of classics with some newer lighter fare. We started with the classic Salmon Tartare, then the Pimento Cheese cracker and on to the Oysters and Pearls. All very good but lacked a little excitement. A beet dish was composed nicely with a variety of different ingredients - could not help but think that this dish could be done as well or better at Contra or Atoboy. There was a fish dish and a Waygu dish that were executed well but again I can think of lots of casual restaurants that could do these dishes just as well and other high end restaurants that would not charge a $100 supplement. We finished with a crazy amount of desserts that were too much. In the end I enjoyed my overall experience very much, I just don't know where Per Se fits in the dining landscape for me personal. There are places like Atoboy and Contra that do dishes that are just as good as some of the dishes I was served at Per Se and then there are places like Atomix, Aska, Blanca that are much more exciting and creative - after every meal I can't wait to go back. And then there are high-end Japanese restaurants and places like Bar Uchu and Brooklyn Fare where the majority of the expense you pay goes right into the highest-end ingredients!

It is a complicated situation when The French Laundry and Per Se started you could not go to places like Atoboy, Contra, Blanca, Bar Uchu, Brooklyn Fare etc. There are so many more options that it must be hard for Per Se to be unique and justify their price point in such a crowded landscape.

To his credit Chef Thomas Keller is trying to figure this out. He did a popup that I attended at of all places The Four Horsemen in Williamsburg. I will never forget arguably the most famous/most important Chef in American busing tables at a 25 seat Natural wine bar in Williamsburg....
Last edited by Robert Dentice on June 10th, 2019, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2060 Post by G. Keeler » June 10th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Thanks for the report Robert. I feel similarly about places like Per Se at this moment in dinning. I still want a few to hang around because there are those special occasions were it's nice to have some of the formality, but overall I think its a model that feels very dated. If you love food this is a great time to be a consumer. So many interesting things happening and you don't need a jacket and tie to eat them anymore.
G L E N N

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2061 Post by mark rudner » June 11th, 2019, 7:13 am

i think the most surprising note about per se is music in the salon AND the main dining room!!!
not sure it's enough to get me back there, but that's pretty cool for a temple

Robert Dentice

#2062 Post by Robert Dentice » June 11th, 2019, 7:48 am

mark rudner wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 7:13 am
i think the most surprising note about per se is music in the salon AND the main dining room!!!
not sure it's enough to get me back there, but that's pretty cool for a temple
It was shocking to me and also that it was music that I like.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2063 Post by Jay Miller » June 11th, 2019, 12:46 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 1:36 pm

Okonomi - Great Japanese breakfast.
Greatly enjoyed this this past Saturday, despite a 20 minute wait. The fish in particular was noteworthy. Thank you for the recommendation!
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Robert Dentice

#2064 Post by Robert Dentice » June 11th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 12:46 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 1:36 pm

Okonomi - Great Japanese breakfast.
Greatly enjoyed this this past Saturday, despite a 20 minute wait. The fish in particular was noteworthy. Thank you for the recommendation!
Wonderful! So happy you liked it. I usually go about 15 minutes before they open on the weekends so I can be assured a seat. They have a store a few minutes away where you can buy fish and take classes.

https://www.osakanabk.com/products

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#2065 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » June 11th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Fun Okonomi fact: chef Yuji launched a similar concept in Osaka called Lorimer. Hipsters rejoice across both ponds :)

Robert Dentice

#2066 Post by Robert Dentice » June 13th, 2019, 4:39 am

Mindblowing meal at Chef's Table at Brookyln Fare. Every dish was exhilarating. The best ingredients. Unique combinations of flavors. All around everything I could ever want from a three star. I can't wait wait to go back.

Also the wine list is great with a full range of selections with many fairly priced options.

Purchased one bottle from the list

And brought one bottle of Riesling which went perfect with 3/4 of the menu

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2067 Post by mark rudner » June 13th, 2019, 6:50 am

go big or don't go at all
it seems you know that already...

Robert Dentice

#2068 Post by Robert Dentice » June 13th, 2019, 7:12 am

Added some more pictures on IG

What a night! And for you hiphop fans!

DJ Premier

Westside Gunn and Conway

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#2069 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » June 13th, 2019, 10:24 am

Nice Robert!

Robert Dentice

#2070 Post by Robert Dentice » June 15th, 2019, 4:00 pm

I had a lovely lunch today at GEM. The type of lunch I am only used to in Paris or other European cities.

Sadly GEM is closing for most of the summer. I can't wait for more Saturday lunches in the Fall.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”