New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
User avatar
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡
Posts: 2462
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2001 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » April 15th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Ops is on my hitlist in May! Thanks for the Contra x Pujol pics. Have a reservation at the real deal for early June (drool)

Rama Roberts
Posts: 863
Joined: September 2nd, 2013, 8:03 pm
Location: SF peninsula

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2002 Post by Rama Roberts » April 19th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Thanks all, for the suggestions in this thread. I was in the lower east side earlier for the first part of this week and tried several places mentioned here.

Night 1: Ivan Ramen. I had the brussel sprouts and the chicken paitain. Both very good but too salty for my tastes. Impressive beer selection.

Night 2: Contra. The food was excellent. I did the wine pairing knowing it was natural wines, and was mostly disappointed. One showed hints of sherry, one fecal, one (intentionally or not) had a stuck fermentation and tasted and smelled like unfermented grape juice. There was a rose of Syrah however that was excellent. Good overall experience.

Night 3: Una Pizza Napoletana. I'm used to more heavily adorned pizzas (like the Starita at Don Antonio), but the margarita here was simple and delicious. It really let the ingredients and preparation shine. Very relaxing atmosphere.

Day 4 brunch before my flight: Russ & Daughters. Glad I had some extra time, because I had to wait at 11am even for a single spot at the bar. Worth it though, I will be back.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1263
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2003 Post by mark rudner » April 22nd, 2019, 2:23 pm

Night 2: Contra. The food was excellent. I did the wine pairing knowing it was natural wines, and was mostly disappointed. One showed hints of sherry, one fecal, one (intentionally or not) had a stuck fermentation and tasted and smelled like unfermented grape juice. There was a rose of Syrah however that was excellent. Good overall experience.

amazing that contra provided a good overall experience with 3 wines like that. my last pairing at ko was much like that.l
4 great choices btw. don't remember ivan being over salted

User avatar
R@y.Tupp@+sch
Posts: 2425
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 8:22 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2004 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » May 7th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Went to Cosme for lunch today. Was my first time there since my very disappointing meal shortly after they opened. Pleasantly surprised by how good this visit was. Shared a number of dishes with a friend and six out of seven were interesting and excellent. The only miss for me was the Grey sole, macadamia mole, sake dish. The sauce overwhelmed the subtle flavors of the sole. Pleasant and attentive staff including a very humble yet qualified somm. An older Krug Grande Cuvee and an '08 Keller (don't remember the specifics) were both good matches for the food. My friend brought the Keller and drinks quite a bit of it and said Keller's '08's are atypical for him. If tasted blind, I would have guessed Frederic Emile. Was very good, just not what I was expecting.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1632
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2005 Post by Robert Dentice » May 7th, 2019, 1:48 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 1:33 pm
Went to Cosme for lunch today. Was my first time there since my very disappointing meal shortly after they opened. Pleasantly surprised by how good this visit was. Shared a number of dishes with a friend and six out of seven were interesting and excellent. The only miss for me was the Grey sole, macadamia mole, sake dish. The sauce overwhelmed the subtle flavors of the sole. Pleasant and attentive staff including a very humble yet qualified somm. An older Krug Grande Cuvee and an '08 Keller (don't remember the specifics) were both good matches for the food. My friend brought the Keller and drinks quite a bit of it and said Keller's '08's are atypical for him. If tasted blind, I would have guessed Frederic Emile. Was very good, just not what I was expecting.
Had a great dinner there a couple of months ago, can't wait to go back.

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 264
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 12:03 am
Location: OC

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2006 Post by G. Keeler » May 10th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Was in NY for work last week. First night I met a friend at Pasquale Jones. Shared a few starters and some pizza. I thought the food was very good and the wine list was great for a casual restaurant. Roulot and the clam pizza was awesome together. Second night went to Casa Lever for a big group dinner. Private room worked well, service was excellent and food was fine for what it was. Last night was at King which I really enjoyed. Very nice homey dishes like braised rabbit with fava beans and roasted pork and fresh vegetables. I would be a regular if it was in my neighborhood.
G L E N N

User avatar
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡
Posts: 2462
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2007 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » May 16th, 2019, 8:03 am

Quick pizza-rundown:

- Ops: king-of-the-pizza-hill
- Paulie Gee's Slice Shop: Their instagram consultant went overboard...Slices are crispy though!
- Pasquale Jones: Another solid experience, but if you took away the wine list / zaltos / 0 corkage on wine bought, not sure I'd go as often...

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1632
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2008 Post by Robert Dentice » May 16th, 2019, 10:57 am

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 8:03 am
Quick pizza-rundown:

- Ops: king-of-the-pizza-hill
- Paulie Gee's Slice Shop: Their instagram consultant went overboard...Slices are crispy though!
- Pasquale Jones: Another solid experience, but if you took away the wine list / zaltos / 0 corkage on wine bought, not sure I'd go as often...
Agree on Ops!

Paulie Gee's - I went for the first time a few weeks ago and was extremely disappointed in the slice shop. I did learn they do vegan pizzas at the main restaurant which I noted as I often get asked for restaurant recommendations suitable for vegans.

Pasquale Jones - I order delivery through trycaviar and I am stunned at how good the food is including Pizza considering the path it takes to get to me.

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 446
Joined: April 1st, 2009, 6:26 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2009 Post by Scott Jameson » May 17th, 2019, 3:27 pm

We'll be in NYC over July 4th and are planning to brave the masses and try to watch the fireworks. Any restaurant suggestions in the Seaport area ? We 're not looking for an amazing dining experience or an incredible wine list, but hoping to hear some ideas here so I'm not stuck with TripAdvisor as a guide. We did manage to get a reservation on OpenTable for R17 but not surprisingly, they called a few days later and said they would be closed. I have no idea about the food, but the location looked perfect. Oh well ...

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1632
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2010 Post by Robert Dentice » May 18th, 2019, 5:26 am

Scott Jameson wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 3:27 pm
We'll be in NYC over July 4th and are planning to brave the masses and try to watch the fireworks. Any restaurant suggestions in the Seaport area ? We 're not looking for an amazing dining experience or an incredible wine list, but hoping to hear some ideas here so I'm not stuck with TripAdvisor as a guide. We did manage to get a reservation on OpenTable for R17 but not surprisingly, they called a few days later and said they would be closed. I have no idea about the food, but the location looked perfect. Oh well ...

Curious why you don't want an amazing experience or incredible wine list? You are in the best restaurant city in the U.S. A couple of ideas we happened to be in the city last year on July 4th and Frenchette was open it is fairly close to the Seaport and check to see if Blue Ribbon Federal Grill is open.

WvanGorp
Posts: 1555
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 9:37 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2011 Post by WvanGorp » May 19th, 2019, 10:58 am

I would suspect the firework views would be incredible from Manhatta.
Wilfred van Gorp

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3455
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2012 Post by Ramon C » May 19th, 2019, 1:51 pm

Scott Jameson wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 3:27 pm
We'll be in NYC over July 4th and are planning to brave the masses and try to watch the fireworks. Any restaurant suggestions in the Seaport area ? We 're not looking for an amazing dining experience or an incredible wine list, but hoping to hear some ideas here so I'm not stuck with TripAdvisor as a guide. We did manage to get a reservation on OpenTable for R17 but not surprisingly, they called a few days later and said they would be closed. I have no idea about the food, but the location looked perfect. Oh well ...
Jean-George’s latest The Fulton had just opened in SSS.
@brera

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”