New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Mike Wenzel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1351 Post by Mike Wenzel » August 15th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Mike Wenzel wrote:NYC people I need some recommendations for restaurants for a family trip in August. Two of the nights will be 2 kids 2 adults and the other two nights will be 4 kids and 4 adults.

My kids are 9 and 12 and are adventurous eaters and will try almost anything. Not looking to break the bank or do anything high end. Thinking maybe Ssam Bar for lunch or dinner one night. Beyond that have not put much if any thought into it.

Tapas are always well received by my kids. Never heard of Atoboy but the post above makes me interested in trying it. Can I take my kids there?

Other family has kids not so adventurous. So pizza or more mainstream ideas would be good.

If there are any worthy places that don't take reservations ordinarily but do so for 6 or 8 that would also work out well for us.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's hard to tell which places we will get the stink eye for bringing our kids to just by reading reviews. I usually try to select from places I would like to go that I can get away with bringing my kids too. My kids are well behaved and love eating out but I don't want to take them to the wrong atmosphere.

We are staying near Grand Central but location is unimportant.
Thought I would report back on where we ate with kids in NYC. In response to my post looking for recommendations, Marta and Landmarc were recommended. We initially had reservations for both, but ended up not eating at either as our plans were changing last minute. Instead, we ate at:

Uncle Boons - I thought this was good, not great. Nowhere near as good as Pok Pok in Portland (not been to NY location). Found the sausage duo dish just strange. Highlight dishes for the kids were sweetbreads and half chicken with dipping sauces. Atmosphere was loud and boisterous. Cocktails were decent. One other kid in restaurant, around 16 years old.

Barbounia - Very loud. Pretty good food but expensive for what we got. Cocktails were ok, a little on sweet side and that was after I was warned away from a sweet cocktail. Good wine list. Kids liked the flatbread, hummus and calamari. No other kids in the restaurant, and it was a huge space.

Zero Otto Nove - Food was ok, nothing really stood out but was certainly enjoyable. Also loud, but not nearly as loud as Barbounia. Thought the wine list had decent lower priced options. Kids liked the pizza and risotto pescatore. There were other kids in the restaurant. Service was good here and no issue with bringing the kids. Definitely the most kid friendly of the three.

Had reservations at Atoboy for our last night. Went to the Yankee vs. Red Sox game instead.

Maybe it was time of year or our restaurant choices and neighborhoods, but aside from the obvious tourist attractions we hardly saw any kids anywhere we went, whether in restaurants or just walking down the street. My kids had a blast in the City, loved riding the subway and loved the bagels at Ess-a-Bagel.

Ramon C

#1352 Post by Ramon C » August 15th, 2017, 5:29 pm

Mike Wenzel wrote:
Mike Wenzel wrote:NYC people I need some recommendations for restaurants for a family trip in August. Two of the nights will be 2 kids 2 adults and the other two nights will be 4 kids and 4 adults.

My kids are 9 and 12 and are adventurous eaters and will try almost anything. Not looking to break the bank or do anything high end. Thinking maybe Ssam Bar for lunch or dinner one night. Beyond that have not put much if any thought into it.

Tapas are always well received by my kids. Never heard of Atoboy but the post above makes me interested in trying it. Can I take my kids there?

Other family has kids not so adventurous. So pizza or more mainstream ideas would be good.

If there are any worthy places that don't take reservations ordinarily but do so for 6 or 8 that would also work out well for us.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's hard to tell which places we will get the stink eye for bringing our kids to just by reading reviews. I usually try to select from places I would like to go that I can get away with bringing my kids too. My kids are well behaved and love eating out but I don't want to take them to the wrong atmosphere.

We are staying near Grand Central but location is unimportant.
Thought I would report back on where we ate with kids in NYC. In response to my post looking for recommendations, Marta and Landmarc were recommended. We initially had reservations for both, but ended up not eating at either as our plans were changing last minute. Instead, we ate at:

Uncle Boons - I thought this was good, not great. Nowhere near as good as Pok Pok in Portland (not been to NY location). Found the sausage duo dish just strange. Highlight dishes for the kids were sweetbreads and half chicken with dipping sauces. Atmosphere was loud and boisterous. Cocktails were decent. One other kid in restaurant, around 16 years old.

Barbounia - Very loud. Pretty good food but expensive for what we got. Cocktails were ok, a little on sweet side and that was after I was warned away from a sweet cocktail. Good wine list. Kids liked the flatbread, hummus and calamari. No other kids in the restaurant, and it was a huge space.

Zero Otto Nove - Food was ok, nothing really stood out but was certainly enjoyable. Also loud, but not nearly as loud as Barbounia. Thought the wine list had decent lower priced options. Kids liked the pizza and risotto pescatore. There were other kids in the restaurant. Service was good here and no issue with bringing the kids. Definitely the most kid friendly of the three.

Had reservations at Atoboy for our last night. Went to the Yankee vs. Red Sox game instead.

Maybe it was time of year or our restaurant choices and neighborhoods, but aside from the obvious tourist attractions we hardly saw any kids anywhere we went, whether in restaurants or just walking down the street. My kids had a blast in the City, loved riding the subway and loved the bagels at Ess-a-Bagel.
Thank you for reporting back. I'm glad that you and, especially your kids, enjoyed NYC, in spite of Uncle Boons, Barbounia and Zero Otto Nove.
@brera

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1353 Post by Paul Jaouen » August 16th, 2017, 4:23 am

Mike Wenzel wrote:
You probably could have done both. They serve rapid fire and the reason I won't return.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Robert Dentice

#1354 Post by Robert Dentice » August 16th, 2017, 6:03 am

Paul Jaouen wrote:
Mike Wenzel wrote:
You probably could have done both. They serve rapid fire and the reason I won't return.
Paul - have you ever asked them to slow the pacing? They are one of the most accommodating and caring restaurants I know.

ybarselah

#1355 Post by ybarselah » August 16th, 2017, 7:20 am

huge shoutout to Villanelle which has been flying under the radar since it opened in the Spring. Super-seasonal dishes with just a touch of modern flair. Beautiful airy room and warm service. Wine list is short but very smart. We were a 4-top and ordered almost the entire menu and there wasn't a single dud - and a few dishes like the lamb belly were reference. I can't wait to return.

http://www.villanellenyc.com/
Yaacov (ITB)

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1356 Post by Paul Jaouen » August 16th, 2017, 8:18 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
Paul Jaouen wrote:
Mike Wenzel wrote:
Paul - have you ever asked them to slow the pacing? They are one of the most accommodating and caring restaurants I know.
Robert, I did not. I assume at their pricing, they need to flip tables quickly. If I did go back, I would ask but not sure I want to go back.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1357 Post by Jay Miller » August 16th, 2017, 8:29 am

Paul Jaouen wrote:
Robert Dentice wrote:
Paul Jaouen wrote:
Robert, I did not. I assume at their pricing, they need to flip tables quickly. If I did go back, I would ask but not sure I want to go back.
You should, if only to try the Lotus Root.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1358 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 16th, 2017, 8:31 am

ybarselah wrote:huge shoutout to Villanelle which has been flying under the radar since it opened in the Spring. Super-seasonal dishes with just a touch of modern flair. Beautiful airy room and warm service. Wine list is short but very smart. We were a 4-top and ordered almost the entire menu and there wasn't a single dud - and a few dishes like the lamb belly were reference. I can't wait to return.

Looks awesome! Putting it on the list of places to try.

Thanks.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1359 Post by Jay Miller » August 16th, 2017, 8:45 am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
ybarselah wrote:huge shoutout to Villanelle which has been flying under the radar since it opened in the Spring. Super-seasonal dishes with just a touch of modern flair. Beautiful airy room and warm service. Wine list is short but very smart. We were a 4-top and ordered almost the entire menu and there wasn't a single dud - and a few dishes like the lamb belly were reference. I can't wait to return.

Looks awesome! Putting it on the list of places to try.

Thanks.
And they have a functional web site! They deserve business if only for that reason. I can't remember the last time I saw a link that said "hours and location" instead of making you guess where you might find the information. I'm tearing up...

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1360 Post by mark rudner » August 17th, 2017, 7:14 am

Jay Miller wrote:
And they have a functional web site! They deserve business if only for that reason. I can't remember the last time I saw a link that said "hours and location" instead of making you guess where you might find the information. I'm tearing up...
thank you jay. for whatever reason this drives me nuts!

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

New York City Restaura

#1361 Post by Jay Miller » August 19th, 2017, 11:46 am

We went last night. Charming room and warm, welcoming service. I was surprised that the room was 3/4 empty in a Friday night but that surprise vanished as soon as the food started arriving. I love a briny oyster but the chef apparently belongs to the more is better school as he added an extremely salty sauce. But that was nothing compared to the salt level in the broccoli with lardo. I couldn't eat more then a few pieces without starting to feel sick. We then asked the waiter if the salt level could be toned down for future courses. He replaced the broccoli with a very nice crisp refreshing pea dish.

We then had an adequate chicken liver mousse and a delicious preserved tuna dish. This was followed by a rather dull lamb and all the salt they held back on in the last few courses made its way into the octopus.

The semifreddo was tooth achingly sweet but the torrija was just perfect. Great texture and flavor.

In short we won't be going back.

Robert Dentice

#1362 Post by Robert Dentice » August 24th, 2017, 8:47 am

A few recent meals:

Aska - It just keeps getting better and better. Every time we go they have a couple of new dishes just for us. This time one of those dishes was a hake rapped in mustard flowers that was so good.

Cagen - Sadly they no longer serve the Omakase menu because they can't find qualified kitchen stand and chef wants to focus on Sushi and essentially serve the best sushi and raw fish in NYC. The 2nd time I have had this menu and I really like and I would certainly put his Sushi in the top echelon in the U.S.

Vinegar Hill House - An old favorite that is just a special experience. I usually reserve this for out of towners because it is such a unique experience and the Vinegar Hill area is a time warp. Anyway the food was delicious and the chicken which is cooked in their wood burning over outstanding.

Pictures from the above meals on my instagram.

Up tonight the Kaiseki menu at Uchu!

Robert Dentice

#1363 Post by Robert Dentice » August 25th, 2017, 5:20 am

Wow! Uchu was amazing. The Chef, Samuel Clonts, trained at Brooklyn Fare which is one of my favorite restaurants and it shows. The food is to me very similar to Brooklyn Fare which is great. Very good wine and sake list. And a huge whiskey list which I know zero about. The somms were great and very welcoming. I had incorrectly heard that they did not have wine so I brought, corkage is $75. 90 Krug was fantastic and the best bottle I have had of that wine.

Pictures on my instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/soilpimp/

I will be going back to soon!

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1364 Post by Jay Miller » August 25th, 2017, 6:14 am

Hi robert - what is the price on the kaiseki? They don't list prices on their website (an affectation which always annoys me).

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1365 Post by Paul Jaouen » August 25th, 2017, 6:33 am

Jay Miller wrote:Hi robert - what is the price on the kaiseki? They don't list prices on their website (an affectation which always annoys me).
I think $200. No tipping place.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Robert Dentice

#1366 Post by Robert Dentice » August 25th, 2017, 8:52 am

Paul Jaouen wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:Hi robert - what is the price on the kaiseki? They don't list prices on their website (an affectation which always annoys me).
Yes $200. Not cheap but very fair considering the ingredients A5 Waygu, Golden Osetra, Truffle etc. I will say that that they use the higher end ingredients in a wonderful way were they are an integral component and not just thrown on top to be over the top for the sake of it.

As I said above the food reminded me very much of Brooklyn Fare and it is less than half the price.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1367 Post by Jay Miller » August 25th, 2017, 10:27 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
Paul Jaouen wrote:
Yes $200. Not cheap but very fair considering the ingredients A5 Waygu, Golden Osetra, Truffle etc. I will say that that they use the higher end ingredients in a wonderful way were they are an integral component and not just thrown on top to be over the top for the sake of it.

As I said above the food reminded me very much of Brooklyn Fare and it is less than half the price.
And the fact that it includes tip makes a difference. Probably won't go until after the finances recover from our vacation but it's now on my list.

Robert Dentice

#1368 Post by Robert Dentice » August 26th, 2017, 1:50 pm

Finally went to Le Coucou on a lark as I expected not to love the food. It is August and we did not have a reservation and thought we would see if they had a table for two at lunchtime, they did and were very nice. The food was as expected just fine. The omelet was excellent and everything else just ok. I had chicken for my main course and noted that the chicken at Vinegar Hill House a few days ago blew it away. The wine list was good and fairly priced. With so many exciting places to eat in NYC I just don't have any desire to go back. However I see why it is doing so well and certainly has a place in the NYC.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1369 Post by Paul Jaouen » August 27th, 2017, 9:49 am

I was at Le Coucou on Friday. Enjoyed my meal again very much. The pike quenelles are the best I've ever had. Robert, I do disagree on the wine list. I don't find it reasonably priced at all. I was just chatting this morning on FB with someone whose company sells them wine and she agrees knowing what they pay for it. At least, they have some more mature wine on the list now. Six months ago it was all new vintage stuff. Corkage is high at $95 but I still prefer paying that and bringing a nice higher end mature wine then paying their wine list prices.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Robert Dentice

#1370 Post by Robert Dentice » August 27th, 2017, 11:07 am

Paul Jaouen wrote:I was at Le Coucou on Friday. Enjoyed my meal again very much. The pike quenelles are the best I've ever had. Robert, I do disagree on the wine list. I don't find it reasonably priced at all. I was just chatting this morning on FB with someone whose company sells them wine and she agrees knowing what they pay for it. At least, they have some more mature wine on the list now. Six months ago it was all new vintage stuff. Corkage is high at $95 but I still prefer paying that and bringing a nice higher end mature wine then paying their wine list prices.
Paul - Rereading what I wrote I see your point. I said fairly priced when what I really meant was not as bad I would have thought. The wine I ordered was 2.5x retail which for a place like Le Coucou sadly is not that bad. I saw a number of wines in the 2 -2.5x retail zip code and a few that were in the 4x. In summary there are a number of very good wines under $100 (90 JB Becker) and some higher end wines at 2-2.5x retail so I consider that a good list for that type of place. I should also not the glasses are average at best.

ybarselah

#1371 Post by ybarselah » August 27th, 2017, 1:22 pm

here's the list for those keeping score: http://starr-restaurant.com/lecoucoumenus/LCC_wine.pdf

i've been a few times and the list is basically the same - if you want to have a "nice" wine you need to spend a lot. as horrible as the corkage is, i'd still rather pay $95 and bring a good bottle. it's honestly a very odd list.
Yaacov (ITB)

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1372 Post by M.Kaplan » August 27th, 2017, 1:44 pm

Is Le Coucou better than Spring (imo the most overrated restaurant in Paris)?
---Mark

Robert Dentice

#1373 Post by Robert Dentice » August 27th, 2017, 2:31 pm

ybarselah wrote:here's the list for those keeping score: http://starr-restaurant.com/lecoucoumenus/LCC_wine.pdf

i've been a few times and the list is basically the same - if you want to have a "nice" wine you need to spend a lot. as horrible as the corkage is, i'd still rather pay $95 and bring a good bottle. it's honestly a very odd list.
I have no problem paying $95 for corkage. However how to have wines on your list for $50 and charge $95 for corkage?

ybarselah

#1374 Post by ybarselah » August 27th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
ybarselah wrote:here's the list for those keeping score: http://starr-restaurant.com/lecoucoumenus/LCC_wine.pdf

I have no problem paying $95 for corkage. However how to have wines on your list for $50 and charge $95 for corkage?
well, that's been discussed, debated, but never answered. $95 corkage is sending a strong signal that they don't want you to bring.

on the pricing, etc., well... you know i'm working on that. coming soon, as they say.
Yaacov (ITB)

WvanGorp

#1375 Post by WvanGorp » August 27th, 2017, 10:40 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:Is Le Coucou better than Spring (imo the most overrated restaurant in Paris)?
Spring is closing. Daniel announced it on instagram.
Wilfred van Gorp

Robert Dentice

#1376 Post by Robert Dentice » August 28th, 2017, 6:42 am

WvanGorp wrote:
M.Kaplan wrote:Is Le Coucou better than Spring (imo the most overrated restaurant in Paris)?
Spring is closing. Daniel announced it on instagram.
Not surprising. Recent reviews have suggested that most likely his focus on Le Coucou has detracted from Spring.
Last edited by Robert Dentice on September 5th, 2017, 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave McCloskey

#1377 Post by Dave McCloskey » August 30th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Need some help... I'm heading up to NYC in late Sept. with 3 foodies, guy's who love and appreciate extraordinary dining experiences. This trip is centered around dining. I'm in charge of finding a place for a dinner on the Friday night.

Everyone seems to be impressed with Brooklyn Fare and Contra. Are these still stellar options? Any other suggestions.

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#1378 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » September 1st, 2017, 8:50 am

ybarselah wrote:went to olmsted a few days ago and was blown away. very unique space and concept. before dinner, you're escorted to an insanely lovely back patio with a garden and bee lights. enjoy some snacks (watermelon "sushi" with local fluke was a standout) and a cocktail. when you're ready, you retire to your table inside. the recent reviews do a very good job of describing the food - modern-ish, but completely approachable. hospitality was perfect and the wine list is extremely well thought out with sharp prices.

it's one of the best meals i've had in a while and the entire experience was unique. very highly recommended.
Going tonight, and looking forward to it. Anyone have any dish reccos? I called, and they do $10 corkage (!). If it's as good as the hype, I may be prematurely in love flirtysmile

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1379 Post by Jay Miller » September 1st, 2017, 10:27 am

ybarselah wrote:
Robert Dentice wrote:Finally went to Tori Shin and really enjoyed it. I did not bring wine but enquired about corkage and it is $40. I will definitely go back soon.
haven't been yet to the newer location, but the old place was amazing. superb food and experience.
We found ourselves in NYC late yesterday afternoon looking for a place to have dinner and made the excellent decision to try out Tori Shin. Undoubtedly the best yakitori we've had outside Japan.

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1380 Post by Michel Abood » September 1st, 2017, 11:09 am

Jay Miller wrote:
ybarselah wrote:
Robert Dentice wrote:Finally went to Tori Shin and really enjoyed it. I did not bring wine but enquired about corkage and it is $40. I will definitely go back soon.
haven't been yet to the newer location, but the old place was amazing. superb food and experience.
We found ourselves in NYC late yesterday afternoon looking for a place to have dinner and made the excellent decision to try out Tori Shin. Undoubtedly the best yakitori we've had outside Japan.
I loved Tori Shin when it was on the UES, it was much more intimate and you could sit at the bar and talk to the chef cooking for you. You could also just walk in as it wasn't nearly as popular and was something of a local secret. I went to the new place and wasn't aware of the multi-storied layout so we were sat at a table. While the food was excellent, the place is much bigger and feels less personal. That said, I'd be happy to go back, though next time I go I'll ask for bar seating.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Chris Tuttle
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1381 Post by Chris Tuttle » September 1st, 2017, 12:55 pm

We went to ATOBOY this past Monday. Wife and I just kept batting "holy sh#!" back and forth for the entire meal. Sujeonggwa granita for desert - yum! I would go again.

Blue Hill's food seem so bland the next night (had GC we needed to use). Would not really recommend this restaurant as the value isn't there. Quality of ingredients, yes. That's it.

Dave McCloskey

#1382 Post by Dave McCloskey » September 1st, 2017, 1:03 pm

No responses yet, so let me forward some names and your learned impressions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If there is some place you think I should include on this list please let me know.

11 Madison Park -
Jean Georges -
Le Bernardin -
Aquavit -
Atera -
Jungsik -
Casa Mono -
Dovetail -
Gramercy Tavern -
La Sirena -
Rebelle -

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1383 Post by Jay Miller » September 1st, 2017, 1:49 pm

Michel Abood wrote:
I loved Tori Shin when it was on the UES, it was much more intimate and you could sit at the bar and talk to the chef cooking for you. You could also just walk in as it wasn't nearly as popular and was something of a local secret. I went to the new place and wasn't aware of the multi-storied layout so we were sat at a table. While the food was excellent, the place is much bigger and feels less personal. That said, I'd be happy to go back, though next time I go I'll ask for bar seating.
Yes, we sat in the back and the meal was definitely enhanced by the view out the window and being able to speak with the chef.

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#1384 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » September 1st, 2017, 5:36 pm

Dave McCloskey wrote:No responses yet, so let me forward some names and your learned impressions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If there is some place you think I should include on this list please let me know.

11 Madison Park -
Jean Georges -
Le Bernardin -
Aquavit -
Atera -
Jungsik -
Casa Mono -
Dovetail -
Gramercy Tavern -
La Sirena -
Rebelle -
Well you started with Brooklyn Fare and Blanca then went to Le Bernie and JG. Totally different vibes. Do you have a preference on formality, any sense of cost, as well as style? What else is improtant (wine, atmosphere, etc)

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#1385 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » September 3rd, 2017, 10:23 am

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:
ybarselah wrote:went to olmsted a few days ago and was blown away. very unique space and concept. before dinner, you're escorted to an insanely lovely back patio with a garden and bee lights. enjoy some snacks (watermelon "sushi" with local fluke was a standout) and a cocktail. when you're ready, you retire to your table inside. the recent reviews do a very good job of describing the food - modern-ish, but completely approachable. hospitality was perfect and the wine list is extremely well thought out with sharp prices.

it's one of the best meals i've had in a while and the entire experience was unique. very highly recommended.
Going tonight, and looking forward to it. Anyone have any dish reccos? I called, and they do $10 corkage (!). If it's as good as the hype, I may be prematurely in love flirtysmile
Dinner at Olmsted was fantastic, what a neighborhood gem. Very personable service, creative dishes that blend comfort/neighborhood with find gastro techniques, great cocktails, great corkage policy (brought a bottle of 04 Fonsalette) and the real treat is the backyard garden which is a perfect romantic touch. I highly recommend it!

Dave McCloskey

#1386 Post by Dave McCloskey » September 3rd, 2017, 10:30 am

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:
Dave McCloskey wrote:No responses yet, so let me forward some names and your learned impressions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If there is some place you think I should include on this list please let me know.

11 Madison Park -
Jean Georges -
Le Bernardin -
Aquavit -
Atera -
Jungsik -
Casa Mono -
Dovetail -
Gramercy Tavern -
La Sirena -
Rebelle -
Well you started with Brooklyn Fare and Blanca then went to Le Bernie and JG. Totally different vibes. Do you have a preference on formality, any sense of cost, as well as style? What else is improtant (wine, atmosphere, etc)

I've decided to book reservations to Brooklyn Fare! Should be interesting.

Michael S. Monie

#1387 Post by Michael S. Monie » September 4th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
Paul Jaouen wrote:

What are the options for beverage pairings?
Fly on, Little Wing.

Robert Dentice

#1388 Post by Robert Dentice » September 5th, 2017, 3:19 am

Uchu does offer a beverage pairing option. The wine list is very good as well as the Sake list. They also have an enormous whisky collection.

Ramon C

#1389 Post by Ramon C » September 10th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Dinner last night at ATLA was good, and it struck me as a Mexican street food modernized. The Arctic Char dish was very good and so was the Guacamole dish. Sleek setting, with many seemingly model-wannabes' that's common in the East Village whenever darkness comes

Very limited wine list, but the Mezcal and other Mex-based cocktails list was very, very robust. I stuck with the Tecate beer and they worked well with the very flavorful and bold-tasting dishes we had. i was told $35 per bottle corkage, in case you dare to bring your own.

http://atlanyc.com/
@brera

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#1390 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » September 12th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Thanks for the review Ramon. Was planning on going the last few weeks; hard to snag a table.

I hear the brunch is excellent as well.

Ramon C

#1391 Post by Ramon C » September 12th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Faryan, I had an early work day last Friday and was awake at 5 am and, while having coffee, decided to check out reservations for dinner. 7:30 pm was available.
@brera

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#1392 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » September 20th, 2017, 11:28 am

Went to rouge tomate Chelsea last night to meet friends and pop some bottles. Few observations:

- The list has been slimmed from ~2k bottles to ~300? Apparently Pascaline Lepeltier is out and thus her program went with it. Ordered some Metras and an old Borguiel off their list, but it wasn't the dynamic tomb I was hoping to dig through.

- The food program was not really welcome by us. Expensive small portions, nordic orientation that felt a bit heavy on sauce and very light on substance. We left hungry after ordering $150 of apps and went to Emmy Squared for a rectangle to slay the hunger.

- Lovely interior and bar area, good vibe for a Tuesday night. Not going back given the food program and paired back wine offering.

Robert Dentice

#1393 Post by Robert Dentice » September 20th, 2017, 11:52 am

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:Went to rouge tomate Chelsea last night to meet friends and pop some bottles. Few observations:

- The list has been slimmed from ~2k bottles to ~300? Apparently Pascaline Lepeltier is out and thus her program went with it. Ordered some Metras and an old Borguiel off their list, but it wasn't the dynamic tomb I was hoping to dig through.

- The food program was not really welcome by us. Expensive small portions, nordic orientation that felt a bit heavy on sauce and very light on substance. We left hungry after ordering $150 of apps and went to Emmy Squared for a rectangle to slay the hunger.

- Lovely interior and bar area, good vibe for a Tuesday night. Not going back given the food program and paired back wine offering.
You must be the last wine geek in NYC to learn that Pascaline is no longer at Rouge Tomate...just kidding :)

The opening Chef is gone along with the entire wine staff. I will never go there again.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#1394 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » September 20th, 2017, 12:04 pm

Robert Dentice wrote: I will never go there again.
I'm betting by next year, you and everyone else won't have a choice.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Robert Dentice

#1395 Post by Robert Dentice » September 20th, 2017, 12:12 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
Robert Dentice wrote: I will never go there again.
I'm betting by next year, you and everyone else won't have a choice.
I agree.

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1396 Post by scott c » September 27th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Hi folks,
Looking for some advice here. The parameters:
- Dinner for two on a Friday night in late November (should be far enough out that I can make a reservation anywhere, no?)
- For my wife's birthday, so it should be "special" in some way (not necessarily "formal" - just not ordinary)
- She loves sushi and Japanese food in general; I don't like seafood, but I tolerate it, so I would prefer a tasting menu where she will get her fix and I might get a nice piece of wagyu at the end for my trouble
- Either a great wine list with appropriate choices for a special night out (Champagne, Burg, Riesling), OR a really fantastic beverage pairing option, OR reasonable corkage fee so I can BYO
- Manhattan, somewhere south of Midtown preferred (but flexible)
Thoughts? I've seen the following mentioned here and elsewhere recently, so I really need to narrow it down to where you think we'll have the best experience in terms of atmosphere, service, and deliciousness: Secchu Yokuda, Kyo Ya, Uchu, Cagen, Mifune? Any others you'd recommend above these?
Thanks!
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

Robert Dentice

#1397 Post by Robert Dentice » September 27th, 2017, 2:50 pm

scott c wrote:Hi folks,
- Dinner for two on a Friday night in late November (should be far enough out that I can make a reservation anywhere, no?)
- For my wife's birthday, so it should be "special" in some way (not necessarily "formal" - just not ordinary)
- She loves sushi and Japanese food in general; I don't like seafood, but I tolerate it, so I would prefer a tasting menu where she will get her fix and I might get a nice piece of wagyu at the end for my trouble
- Either a great wine list with appropriate choices for a special night out (Champagne, Burg, Riesling), OR a really fantastic beverage pairing option, OR reasonable corkage fee so I can BYO
Thoughts? I've seen the following mentioned here and elsewhere recently, so I really need to narrow it down to where you think we'll have the best experience in terms of atmosphere, service, and deliciousness: Secchu Yokuda, Kyo Ya, Uchu, Cagen, Mifune? Any others you'd recommend above these?
Thanks!
You are in luck I have been to all of the choices you mention:

Secchu Yokota - Tempura focus. Excellent all around meal with two price options, I think $65 and $95. Final course is usually a choice of duck or beef. Small winelist. Reasonable corkage. Would be a great spot for two as it is 8 seats with a small lounge area for the dessert course. Incredible overall value.

Uchu - Two options. Kaiseki with lots of luxurious incredients including Waygu but no sushi. Good winelist with a few values. I ordered a Steinertal Riesling for $120 that went well with the food. Corkage is $75. $200 all in including tip. Also a great date night. They also have a Sushi room with Chef Ichimura but I have not tried that.

Cagen - Focused on Sushi (one of the best in NYC) No winelist. Corkage is around $50. It is a must to sit at the Sushi counter. Also a nice quite place for two.

Mifune - Also two restaurants in one. The non-Sushi restaurant was good but no where near the level of Secchu or Uchu. The Sushi restaurant is Sushi Amane was good but given the Chef's pedigree (worked at #1 Sushi restaurant in Japan Sushi Saito) and price over $800 for two with one bottle corkage I was disappointed. Service was not great as he focused exclusively on the Japanese people at the counter.

Kyo Ya - Very traditional subdued. Overall very good.

Other options:

Jewel Bako - A recent meal at the Sushi Counter was outstanding. It is a must that you sit at the Sushi Counter. The dining is room is a different experience.

Shuko - Slightly less traditional and a good blend of Sushi and non-sushi dishes. Room has lots of energy

Hope that helps! Have a great time!!!

CliftonD

#1398 Post by CliftonD » September 27th, 2017, 3:14 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
scott c wrote:Hi folks,
Thanks!
You are in luck I have been to all of the choices you mention:

Secchu Yokota - Tempura focus. Excellent all around meal with two price options, I think $65 and $95. Final course is usually a choice of duck or beef. Small winelist. Reasonable corkage. Would be a great spot for two as it is 8 seats with a small lounge area for the dessert course. Incredible overall value.

Uchu - Two options. Kaiseki with lots of luxurious incredients including Waygu but no sushi. Good winelist with a few values. I ordered a Steinertal Riesling for $120 that went well with the food. Corkage is $75. $200 all in including tip. Also a great date night. They also have a Sushi room with Chef Ichimura but I have not tried that.

Cagen - Focused on Sushi (one of the best in NYC) No winelist. Corkage is around $50. It is a must to sit at the Sushi counter. Also a nice quite place for two.

Mifune - Also two restaurants in one. The non-Sushi restaurant was good but no where near the level of Secchu or Uchu. The Sushi restaurant is Sushi Amane was good but given the Chef's pedigree (worked at #1 Sushi restaurant in Japan Sushi Saito) and price over $800 for two with one bottle corkage I was disappointed. Service was not great as he focused exclusively on the Japanese people at the counter.

Kyo Ya - Very traditional subdued. Overall very good.

Other options:

Jewel Bako - A recent meal at the Sushi Counter was outstanding. It is a must that you sit at the Sushi Counter. The dining is room is a different experience.

Shuko - Slightly less traditional and a good blend of Sushi and non-sushi dishes. Room has lots of energy

Hope that helps! Have a great time!!!
Robert's recommendations here are spot on. I haven't been to Jewel Bako but is now on the list.
+1 for Secchu Yokota and Shuko
D - o - n - g

Barry L i p t o n

#1399 Post by Barry L i p t o n » September 27th, 2017, 11:20 pm

I liked Spring better 2 of the 3 meals I've had there (vs. one for Le CousCous). But those two times, I didn't think it was overrated at all, awesome meals. Third time (after the chef started his other places), not as wonderful, but still reasonably good.

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1400 Post by scamhi » September 28th, 2017, 6:34 am

Robert Dentice wrote:Uchu does offer a beverage pairing option. The wine list is very good as well as the Sake list. They also have an enormous whisky collection.
Robert I am going with a friend to the Sushi omakase in October. Do you know if they allow BYO and what is the corkage? edited to add Sorry I see it below $75.00
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”